If you didn't collect D&D...
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:03 pm 

Most of us have probably collected something other than AD&D/D&D/TSR stuff. But what if you stopped the D&D collecting? What would you focus on?

I recently picked up a copy of The complete book of Wargames (which was certainly not complete) and got nostalgic. I once had several of the WWI & II SPI and Avalon Hill games they reviewed. I auctioned most off many years ago at gen con auction (where I originally bought most of them years before).

Now, I am leaning toward re-aquisition; but, I am gonna purge all my TSR AD&D non-first edition stuff to bankroll the effort. So I am gonna go after SPI games first...

The question is, what would you switch too?

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 10:09 pm 

My problem is that instead of switching to something else, I just add another thing on.

Currently I mainly collect comic books (though I am on a "temporary leave" since I tend to drop obscene amounts of money when the "obsession" hits and all I can see is a red haze and more comics.)

Currently, I also collect vintage hardcover classical literature books - I go for anything cheap as long as it is an older edition that looks cool.  Everything from early Greek & Roman through Anglo-Saxon/Medieval Litereature and up until early 20th century writings.  (Yes, I majored in English with a History/Philosophy minor so I am sure that everyone finds it shocking to know that I make shit for income . . . but at least I'm well read.)  :)

Currently, I don't collect RPG's - I just resell them.  Only am starting to skim more and more out of the lots I get.  Now I am starting to buy other games I am not familiar with - Space Opera, Bushido, Runequest, etc.  So, I guess I am starting a collection of that as well. . .

I think that if I had more cash, vintage maps & atlases would be cool to collect.  Stuff that is 100-500 years old.  

Avalon Hill might be cool too. . .
And Hardcover edition of all my favorite Sci-Fi & Fantasy books. . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:27 pm 

I started collecting Avalon Hill and would again.. pretty much any of those old 70's 'bookcase' games including SPI.

Boardgames are something I dabble in too.  Even the common ones.  I'm not one who wants to collect all 182 different Monopoly editions but I do have a box of 1st print Monopoly pieces (no board, no box, just the box the little guys came in and a few cards) which I think is cool.

Comics.. yeah... got a garage full of those.

Miniatures.  It's tough to collect these in any normal fashion but I do collect the 'Gold box' series of Grenadier minis, some of the early 'crappy' minis from D&D era (Martian Metals, Rafm etc..)

I also will pick up exceptionally cool Reaper minis when I have the time.

I also have collected The Wizkids minis (Mage Knight, HeroClix etc..)

If I had to eliminate gaming and comics from things I collect I suppose I would start collecting old maps.  I love maps (who here doesn't?) but I often scour the Ebay listings for maps and get tempted....

-------------------------------------------------

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:33 pm 

I would focus full-time on my collecting of first edition pulp/romantic fiction. Even though I already own several first editions of one of my favorite author's novels, H. Rider Haggard -- "When the World Shook," "Wisdom's Daughter," "Ayesha: The Return of She" -- I would like to own the remainder. I also would like to round out my A. Merritt collection. So far, the only A. Merritt first edition I own is a hand-numbered copy of "The Black Wheel." Even though the manuscript of said novel was completed by Bok after Merritt's death, it is still quite a rousing read, and also features beautiful illustrations by Bok himself. I recently acquired a first editon of Jack Williamson's "Darker Than You Think," which is hands down the most convincing novel dealing with witchcraft ever penned, in my humble opinion. The only other first edition I own from Williamson is "The Golden Blood," which was a reprint of the same story that had been serialized in Weird Tales.

All that being said, my absolute dream would be to acquire some aging copies of the classic Weird Tales magazines, particularly those featuring the works of R.E. Howard, H.P. Lovecraft, and Clark Ashton Smith.

Thanks for taking the time to read my musings,
                                                                   A. Warden

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:19 am 

I also collect Victoriana - mostly the mystical/disturbing stuff, such as English fairytales in the Goblin Market / Alice vein, 100+ year old choirbooks, Mother Goose (lots of gore in those!), Daguerreotype and photo collections, Victorian albums, personal effects and children's toys, medical and asylum treatises, old dolls, etc.  If I weren't collecting D&D, I'd probably throw thousands more dollars at that stuff than I already do.  But as it is, my collection is only mildly disturbing.
:twisted:

Fascinating stuff, though.
8O

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:16 am 

Not sure. Not long ago, I had every set, promo, special etc. card ever printed for Magic the Gathering. Sold it all off one day.
I already collect weapons as well, and I can't think of anything else that would interest me.
I guess that is why I keep collecting RPG's.........

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:38 am 

bbarsh wrote: The question is, what would you switch too?

I decided to leave D&D collecting because I needed the money (thank you very much Italian governement  :x ) and because having stuff worth a lot of money I don't read or use was becoming more and more silly in my eyes.  

After selling off most of my D&D collection (excluding the various D&D and AD&D editions of 'basic' rules - I couldn't bear myself selling them, I had literally tears in my eyes at the very thought  8O ), I started collecting (more or less) the games I liked or simply thought could be cool owning (an reading too!). For example I bought Paranoia (boxed edition) with modules, Price of Freedom (at a dirty cheap price, of course - that game manages to upset and entertain me at the same time  :oops: !), various CoC editions, Warhammer first edition and so on. Then I have a passion for miniatures (old ones). When I see one at a reasonable price, I buy it: my Paranoia miniatures are waiting for a good painter...

Oh, I have a complete collection of all RPGs in Italian, original and translated ones. Not everything printed for them, just the basic games. Believe me, they are A LOT and some are really hard to find. Magikon, for example, took me TEN YEARS to find and purchase! This is the only collection I seriously pursue at the moment.

I have a penchant for gaming magazines, but the ones I like only. I don't want to collect bad magazines, just the ones I read with interest: some names? The Space Gamer (non Metagaming one), Different Worlds (my sweet, the world wasn't made for a magazine like you  :cry: ), Imagine, White Dwarf (till issue 90...), The Adventurer, Tortured Souls - yes, I have a strong weak point  :D  for British magazines...

Besides this, I don't actually collect anything. If I buy a book, VHS, DVD or a comic I like and I could wish to read again, I keep it. If not I sell/give/throw away.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:18 am 

<Magikon, for example, took me TEN YEARS to find and <purchase! This is the only collection I seriously pursue at the moment.

Do you know Magikon?!!  I searched it for years, but I didn't find it. Can you describe me this game (how it works, what the box contains, if there are adventures, etc.) or send me a copy of the rules?
Many thanks :!:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:41 am 

salkaner wrote:<Magikon, for example, took me TEN YEARS to find and <purchase! This is the only collection I seriously pursue at the moment.

Do you know Magikon?!!  I searched it for years, but I didn't find it. Can you describe me this game (how it works, what the box contains, if there are adventures, etc.) or send me a copy of the rules?

Many thanks :!:

I have already replied to my fellow Italian collector via private message.  Of course NO copy of the rules.