Ebay about to shoot itself again
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:24 pm 

Exactly. Two days of interest on 29.5 million $$$, every single day, is a hell of a lot of $$$. Why the F wouldn't you delay payment to sellers? There is absolutely no incentive to make anything faster for the seller. It's not like they have any other choice.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:01 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:It's not like they have any other choice.

After an in depth consulting procedure (we sat around and brain stormed ways to make more money so we could hit targets and get paid our bonuses) we have listened to all the feedback (lol.. ) and have now implemented the following new rules (its not like you have a choice hay, you are just going to have to suck it up) We welcome your further feedback (nope.. we will look at the revenue and if it goes up we think of something else to get even more money as that's what we are paid for.. this isn't a charity you know)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:41 am 

I can only assume eBay and Amazon have an agreement not to encroach on eachother's market share.
Amazon already has the distribution network and logistics hub to ship anything from anywhere in the world to anywhere else in the world.
If they set up a auction platform they would noticeably damage eBay in a matter of months.
Provided they could fend off, or delay, any monopoly issues, they would likely reduce eBay to a going concern and be in a position to just buy the at a notable discount.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:58 pm 

Well, without changing anything, minis I’ve sold in the last 48hrs have been paid via eBay process and not PayPal!
So the £50+ is now in the ether waiting to go into my bank. eBay says I’ve been paid and should post the items, but the money isn’t in my hand unlike it would be via PayPal

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:40 pm 

I'm sure everything will be fine, but I do wonder what does happen if the money somehow doesn't turn up. It's bound to happen one day, and it won't be eBay out of pocket. They will say the seller should have factored the risk into their pricing structure and their decision to sell.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:03 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:Well, without changing anything, minis I’ve sold in the last 48hrs have been paid via eBay process and not PayPal!
So the £50+ is now in the ether waiting to go into my bank. eBay says I’ve been paid and should post the items, but the money isn’t in my hand unlike it would be via PayPal

I've had several transactions like this now and eventually the money shows up in the bank.  I hope your experience is good.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:52 pm 

Can you define "eventually"? For the charges (22% of the sale including shipping price IIRC) I expect cash delivered to my door in 8 hours.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:58 pm 

Deadlord wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:Can you define "eventually"? For the charges (22% of the sale including shipping price IIRC) I expect cash delivered to my door in 8 hours.

About four to five days.   :(

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:19 am 

Deadlord wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:Can you define "eventually"? For the charges (22% of the sale including shipping price IIRC) I expect cash delivered to my door in 8 hours.

12% now taken straight away and it takes 3-6 days I’ve found, in general. Apparently I’m 0.2% better off (or something similar) than using PayPal. eBay holding everyone’s money for 4 days on average probably is considerably more £‘s interest in their bank before sending it out.

It works as a system, but I’d rather pay the extra to get my money straight away.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:00 am 

I wonder what happens if you post a statement on your sales saying, 'eBay takes four days to process your payment. We do not ship goods until cleared funds are received. If you but this item it will not be shipped until 5 days after payment.'

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:02 am 

Is it true that sellers end up paying fewer fees this way?  If that’s true, where’s the rub (unless you need the money from the sale to afford shipment)?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:12 am 

Skullhammer wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:Is it true that sellers end up paying fewer fees this way?  If that’s true, where’s the rub (unless you need the money from the sale to afford shipment)?

Is there any way the payment can not turn up, be withdrawn by the seller, etc.? Hello, eBay, I made a mistake.... My son bought something and he didn't have the right to.... Someone hacked my account and ordered something.... And you haven't received the payment from eBay but you shipped the product and it doesn't get returned to you. Therefor you don't have your item but also eBay haven't paid you any money for it?

Can that happen? Or are you guaranteed to get paid if you ship without waiting for funds?
Like if it's $20 who gives a F, but what if it's $50 or $100?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:25 am 

You pay fractionally less fees as eBay fee has gone up but it’s slightly less than the old fee of eBay + PayPal’s cut
So you make a few cents/pence per £10$. The benefit of no longer being paid via PayPal isn’t worth it i personally believe. I’d rather pay a couple of pence more per sale and have it that afternoon. Weirdly, anything I buy still goes via PayPal and comes out my bank a few days later so that hasn’t changed.

The delay in receiving money from sales is an average of 4 days I find. Monies have arrived each time, but I’m presuming there’s no chance of bailing out by the buyer in those days. It’s also worth noting that all costs are taken there and then. You don’t have the eBay sale done, PayPal charges and later that month get a sellers invoice for £50 because of everything you sold.

Personally I still don’t ship until the money is with me, but I get it all packaged and ready.

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:55 am 

I never used to mind the monthly bill for listing and sales fees.

I did have a chargeback once, which came with a £15 chargeback fee as well as the removal of the funds, but on the basis that I shipped it and could prove that it had been delivered, and the claim was that it was an unauthorised purchase, I was covered by PayPal's Seller Protection and other than time, didn't lose out at all.

So this is a move to shut down PayPal then and handle the transactions themselves? Of course if you do not transact through PayPal you do not get any Seller Protection either.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:28 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:Is there any way the payment can not turn up, be withdrawn by the seller, etc.? Hello, eBay, I made a mistake.... My son bought something and he didn't have the right to.... Someone hacked my account and ordered something.... And you haven't received the payment from eBay but you shipped the product and it doesn't get returned to you. Therefor you don't have your item but also eBay haven't paid you any money for it?

Can that happen? Or are you guaranteed to get paid if you ship without waiting for funds?
Like if it's $20 who gives a F, but what if it's $50 or $100?

Good points.  I always felt protected under PayPal (as both a buyer and a seller).  I believe the buyer still has to first work with the seller directly for refunds, rather than working directly with eBay.  This should protect the seller in the cases that you mentioned.  I’d be interested to see if eBay provides the same level of financial protection as PayPal did, in fringe cases.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:03 pm 

One pretty famous (on eBay anyways) case in the UK was a buyer bought a headlight for his car and when it arrived confirmed to the seller that it arrived in perfect condition and that he was really happy with it. He took it to a garage and had them fit it to his car. A month later realised there was water getting into it and took it back to the garage. The garage said it was faulty and organised buying a replacement, and the buyer sent the 'faulty' headlight back to the seller and eBay awarded a full refund.

The headlight had been damaged during installation by the garage. Screwing it in place it had been overtightened and the plastic shell had cracked from the screw port into the light bowl. The garage hadn't confessed this to the buyer, and of course the seller had a full set of photos to prove the condition and the packaging it had been shipped in.

Summary - Under distance selling rules in the UK you are entitled to a full refund from eBay for anything you buy anywhere in the world. Regardless of why you don't want it. The seller sucks it up. So long as I send back the same product I bought, and don't swap it or send back a brick in a box, I can scratch it, smash it, soak it in water, or tear it in half. I am entitled to a full no questions asked refund and it is up to the seller to wear the costs. If I'm the buyer I get a full refund.

What eBay said to the seller was, firstly he should factor in losses like this to his business model, and it's not their problem if he's not doing that, and secondly he should try to sell it on eBay again, now that it is damaged and illegal to sell for fitting to a car.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:37 pm 

its isn't a Ebay problem though.. this is a UK "distance selling rules" problem.. and a problem if you sell that way under any platform

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:58 am 

beasterbrook wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:its isn't a Ebay problem though.. this is a UK "distance selling rules" problem.. and a problem if you sell that way under any platform

Yep, and the countries in Europe have the same laws on the books or in the pipeline. Add to that the laws now regarding the payment of tax on things you send to the UK, and the same laws coming onstream in Europe, and you have an environment where a non-European seller can only sell to Europeans through eBay or Amazon, shipping through those companies, and wearing all the responsibilities and costs of any customer who gets buyer's remorse. A truly fucked up situation that will is starting strong here in the UK and will take a year or so to play out across Europe.

However, there is no reason why eBay have to refund the buyer where the seller can prove fraud on the part of the buyer. There is no reason why the eBay cannot take photos from the seller showing an book in mint condition being packed and sealed, and photos from either the seller or the buyer of the book being returned torn and dogeared, and say to the buyer, we are not refunding on grounds that you did not return the goods in the condition in which they were received (which is what the law says) and say to the Buyer, if you want to dispute this, take the seller to court.

eBay is in the wrong here for not supporting sellers in implementing the law as written.

PreviousNext