Ebay about to shoot itself again
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:06 am 

Badmike wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:
Mars wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:
Agreed that a lot of his policies were bad for Ebay and small sellers but worth pointing out that there might have been a few other financial problems in 2008-2009 that limited a lot of people from buying causing slow sales.

I agree totally Mars, which makes his implementation of his three year plan at precisely that time even more mind blowing.  When the economy is in the toilet you choose that time to raise prices on your sellers?  Because he knew it wouldn't hurt the mega-sellers and large corporations he needed to make his plan work.  He wanted to turn Ebay into an upscale Amazon clone and he didn't need any smaller or mom&pop sellers to do this, so the bad economy helped him in this respect.  About this time they also killed the very popular Ebay Live convention that had been running since 2002 (the last was in 2008) and was a great place to hear seminars about buying and selling on ebay, and a place to meet other Ebay people to ask questions.  Apparently the 2008 convention was filled with angry sellers who were chaffing at the proposed plans of Donafuck and his minions, and there had just been a large announcement there that General Motors (a real "mom and pop" organization) was being given special dispensation to list used and even some new cars on Ebay.  So yes I do agree that other factors were in play, but I believe these factors worked in Donawhore's favor because they chased out many of the sellers he saw as disagreable.

Mike B.

So Mike,

How do you really feel about John Donahoe?   :lol:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 am 

Invincible Overlord wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:
So Mike,

How do you really feel about John Donahoe?   :lol:

That obvious, huh?  :twisted:  

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:37 pm 

I was on board with Ebay a long time ago when, with minimal rent for store inventory items it seemed feasible to list everything you had for sale on the one site, then fees went up. Then they went up again, and inventory I had listed was removed for stupid reasons, like being less than a dollar or seeming like duplicate listings ( I sell a lot of comic books, and many were for 99 cents, and many more had similar titles (like Amazing Spider-Man #267 and  Amazing Spider-Man #268) listings like that got removed, which seemed like a slap in the face after I'd paid all that rent. More recently Ebay took all of Amazon's ideas and policies. I still sell on Ebay, but only auction type stuff where I never really know how much I may get, and even that is a gamble because it is all in the buyer's corner after the fact.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:23 pm 

Sigh ... sometimes I miss running Dark Angel Collectibles on eBay, and other times I go back to eBay for a day and remind myself why I ceased all business there.  :roll:

So does anyone have any nice links to Facebook groups trading, buying or selling RPG materials?  :D

Editing my own post:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/rolepla ... tradesell/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:29 am 

I wouldn't say that eBay is shooting itself again, but I was caught unawares due to a new eBay policy.  They are now funneling payments directly to seller's bank accounts.  The explained how sellers can get their money directly and maybe save on Paypal fees or something like that.  Anyway, I sold an item but didn't receive an e-mail from Paypal saying I'd received payment.  Odd.  Then I remembered the change in policy and looked at my bank account on-line.  Nothing!  I called eBay.  They assured me that I'd been paid, but that it would take two days to show up in my bank account!   8O   I'm not in immediate need of the money, but in this electronic age, I was gobsmacked at the delay.  I thought I'd give this community a heads up.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:26 am 

Does that mean eBay now have absolute control of whether or not the buyer gets a full refund?

Here in the UK we have a de facto try-before-you-buy system. If you buy a book or a DVD, after you've watched it/read it, simply send it back and you are guaranteed a full no questions asked refund. It doesn't matter what condition you send it back in either, so long as it is the same product you bought. You can leave it on your back yard, tear pages out of it, piss in it. whatever you want. If the seller is a UK seller, you are guaranteed a 100% refund and eBay will process it automatically and not ask any questions.

Now, if you are a premium seller here in the UK, eBay will give you a partial refund to help with your loss - up to 50% of the sale price - but only for top tier sellers.

Does it work that way in the US yet? Or do you have rights if they buyer send you back a torn book that's been used as a chew toy?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:57 pm 

in Australia you are protected (technically) by consumer law which can't be overridden.. ie if someone sells something and says "No refunds", consumer law says that you can't do that and a buyer is entitled to a refund in certain circumstances .. of course making that happen is the hard part..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:12 pm 

Consumer Protection Laws, imho, seem to make everything more expensive. CLPs also become a way for some "customers" to abuse sellers as part of their lifestyle, while those costs are passed on to other, more reasonable, people. I know, I may seem overly passionate about this subject. Sorry. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:33 am 

Tszii wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:Consumer Protection Laws, imho, seem to make everything more expensive. CLPs also become a way for some "customers" to abuse sellers as part of their lifestyle, while those costs are passed on to other, more reasonable, people. I know, I may seem overly passionate about this subject. Sorry. :)

That is exactly the intent of the law.
The intent of Consumer Protection Law is to require businesses to build business models that ensure the buyer gets what the buyer wants from the sell/buy transaction. In many of these bad seller experiences, the seller has sold the item at a price the buyer does not want to pay. So the buyer has to buy the item and create a reason to ask for a partial refund, therefor reducing his cost. If that fails and the seller refuses his request for a partial refund, he can then carry out his frustrations on the item and ship it back to the seller and he is guaranteed (in the UK) a 100% refund with no questions asked.

As a seller, you would stupid not to recognise this and increase prices across the board to compensate.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:42 am 

benjoshua wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again: I called eBay.  They assured me that I'd been paid, but that it would take two days to show up in my bank account!   8O   I'm not in immediate need of the money, but in this electronic age, I was gobsmacked at the delay.  I thought I'd give this community a heads up.   8)

This story keeps getting better.  Last night I finally received and email from eBay telling me that my money is on the way.  It also said, "It will take 3-4 business days to reach your bank account."  Therefore, the delay in getting my funds is now five to six days.   :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:29 am 

benjoshua wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:This story keeps getting better.  Last night I finally received and email from eBay telling me that my money is on the way.  It also said, "It will take 3-4 business days to reach your bank account."  Therefore, the delay in getting my funds is now five to six days.

In the meantime, do you get punished by eBay if you do not ship before you have cleared funds?
And if you do ship before receiving cleared funds, and they never give you the money, do you have any recourse?
And if you do delay shipping until you have been paid for the goods, what happens if the buyer leaves negative feedback?
Selling on eBay is sounding more and more sounds like a mugs game.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:05 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:In the meantime, do you get punished by eBay if you do not ship before you have cleared funds?
And if you do ship before receiving cleared funds, and they never give you the money, do you have any recourse?
And if you do delay shipping until you have been paid for the goods, what happens if the buyer leaves negative feedback?
Selling on eBay is sounding more and more sounds like a mugs game.

If I click on the "view order details" hyperlink of the sold item, it clearly shows the date of payment if there was payment, so there's no problem determining if payment has been made.

Personally, I am not put out or discouraged by this move or change.  eBay remains a viable (for now) way to sell a lot of stuff I want sold.   8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:44 am 

I didn’t accept the option to connect my bank so will continue to sell or buy with PayPal as my choice

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:58 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:I didn’t accept the option to connect my bank so will continue to sell or buy with PayPal as my choice

I may be wrong, but I believe a connected bank account will be mandatory starting 2/28/21.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:17 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:
I may be wrong, but I believe a connected bank account will be mandatory starting 2/28/21.

I was given a more recent mandatory date.  I suspect it's different among sellers depending on multiple factors.   :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:39 pm 

benjoshua wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:...depending on multiple factors.   :?

"And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name." -Revelation 13:17

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:12 pm 

Skullhammer wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:

Just read that whilst not mandatory, eBay may restrict new listings or cancel current ones  :roll:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:10 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Ebay about to shoot itself again:
Just read that whilst not mandatory, eBay may restrict new listings or cancel current ones  :roll:

Which pretty much means it's mandatory.... if you want to sell....   :roll:

I suspect what will actually happen is that eBay will cajole, pester, threaten and whatever for months as some people transition.  They won't actually stop any sellers for months and months.  That's what they've been doing with active content in listings, for example.   :?

PreviousNext