Ebay about to shoot itself again
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:49 am 

jasonw1239 wrote:Data centers for high traffic ecommerce web sites costs money.

True.  However, it is interesting to watch how a company such as Amazon has been able to take those data center skills and create a secondary service selling online storage capacity and processing power at cheap rates.

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:45 pm 

My comment relates to the original post.

They did this in Australia. Sellers were really annoyed. But recently, they seem to have changed it back. When I look at RPGs, it now lists both Store inventories and auctions without me having to physically click a box for stores. Maybe they lost so much, they decided that it really is better to show all available products.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:36 pm 

I don't know.. I think they do this to make it look like there is more stuff on sale than there actually is.. they seem to have done this on ebay UK, I used to get auctions now I seem to get everything..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:50 pm 

As someone who has used ebay for over 1000 transactions (tiny by some standards here I know), I'm frustrated by their policies. The problem is that there isn't anywhere I can list my stuff or search for my stuff (whatever said stuff is... I collect Atari 2600, TI99/4a and Inteillivision games too) that is anywhere near the exposure or size. I heard a rumor that the stamp hobby community has a movement to move away from ebay though I don't know what their alternative was/is. The RPG Geek is working on a new Marketplace module to replace the aging one used now that will offer modern listing and searching features at a fraction of the ebay prices and policies but the exposure will also be a fraction of the exposure on ebay. I'll switch to using the new RPG Geek marketplace but that's only because I (obviously) support that site -- just as many of you offer items for sale here in the buying/selling forums on the Acaeum. But I'm guessing that for the vast majority of the world, they are likely to stick with ebay until something comparable comes along.

One related thought -- if you are buying an item on ebay it sometimes pays to check if the seller has their own website with similar (or same!) items for sale. I've found more than once when someone had a module listed for, say, $20 on ebay and found they were selling it directly for $18. I guess they jack it up a buck or two to help cover the fees.

-Dave

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:51 pm 

Troll and toad does this, there is an automatic markup on their ebay listsings (the 9%odd of ebay fees), so you can buy it ceaper on their web site.. its somehow lined to their ebay auctions, if you buy on their site it automatically end the ebay auction and the other way around as well..

if you could get some big sellers one to one site it would work, but the problem are there are lots of small sellers, with a lot of people selling stuff in multiple cats, the big junk yard sale.. its hard to get the non core selling to change..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:19 am 

eBay is trying to mimic Amazon and failing. Again. They don't seem to understand that AUCTIONS are their core revenue stream. IMHO, they are messing with stores & fixed price formats that were dysfunctional to begin with but at least they were working.

I wouldn't want to fix the mess that remains of eBay but I'm absolutely certain there are better ways to improve user experience, encourage sales, and attract sellers without reshuffling fees.
Lowering some fees while increasing others so the net effect is a price increase will naturally drive away sellers at some point. At least with Amazon you know what to expect and they don't change "policy" ever 6 months to alleviate declining revenues.

I think eBay is the problem with eBay. The only reason they are able to retain market share is because they leverage their "brand identity" as THE place to go for unique collectibles & cheap electronics etc.

eBay has spent millions to promote the eBay name. Sadly, I see a future where brand recognition dwindles as they continually upset buyers & sellers alike by changing user interface, fees, policy and everything else on a whim in a desperate attempt to regain their former glory.

Or perhaps I've thought about it too much.  

:wink:

The eye that looks ahead to the safe course is closed forever.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:32 am 

argyrebasin wrote:eBay is trying to mimic Amazon and failing. Again. They don't seem to understand that AUCTIONS are their core revenue stream. IMHO, they are messing with stores & fixed price formats that were dysfunctional to begin with but at least they were working.

I wouldn't want to fix the mess that remains of eBay but I'm absolutely certain there are better ways to improve user experience, encourage sales, and attract sellers without reshuffling fees.
Lowering some fees while increasing others so the net effect is a price increase will naturally drive away sellers at some point. At least with Amazon you know what to expect and they don't change "policy" ever 6 months to alleviate declining revenues.

I think eBay is the problem with eBay. The only reason they are able to retain market share is because they leverage their "brand identity" as THE place to go for unique collectibles & cheap electronics etc.

eBay has spent millions to promote the eBay name. Sadly, I see a future where brand recognition dwindles as they continually upset buyers & sellers alike by changing user interface, fees, policy and everything else on a whim in a desperate attempt to regain their former glory.

Or perhaps I've thought about it too much.  

:wink:

The bottom line for me is .35c to .50c price increase in BIN only auctions and the loss of exposure. I may take advantage of their .99c (100 items per month) no money down (and now a 9%  final value fee) and put up some paperbacks and cards.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:10 pm 

*le bump*

I wonder if we'll see a flood of dollar-store auctions?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:38 pm 

I received the following message from eBay:

Dear benjoshuasdad,

On July 1, a bill was introduced in the United States House of Representatives that would impose complex sales tax collecting requirements on internet retailers and entrepreneurs, including our eBay sellers. If passed, HR 5660, the so-called, "Main Street Fairness Act," would require small online retailers to comply with varying and regularly changing sales tax rules and rates for thousands of tax jurisdictions, and to collect and remit sales taxes from each customer. This new sales tax scheme would be extremely burdensome and costly to small online retailers like you who have set up shop on the internet. A similar bill is expected to be introduced in the Senate as well. eBay is working very hard to stop this bill from becoming law, but we need your help.

Please join our effort to stop the passage of this anti-small business bill. In three minutes or less, you can sign this petition urging your lawmakers to protect small, online retailers by opposing new tax burdens.

Together we can make a difference!

Sincerely,

eBay Government Relations

Now I bet eBay wishes they hadn't distanced (and lost) all those past sellers with all their nifty little changes.  If this goes through, it'll be a difficult and costly for them to police.  Or will they actually try to ask other eBayers to police each other like they do with current transactions?  And what will the government think about that?  It'll make it a whole lot easier for the government to get involved in any eBay transaction.  

I think it could also impact low cost item sellers because it would likely cut into their profit margin.  That impacts me because that's mostly what I sell.

Still, I always wondered why buying items across the border meant there was no tax.  It doesn't make sense.  I'm mean, I understand why it's the way it is, but it's whacked. The lack of cross border sales taxes encourages cross border and internet selling.  It makes people in the middle of nowhere relevant to the economy everywhere.  I can see where the Post Office will have to increase its rates even more as shipping decreases.  And maybe decreasing shipping is a good thing.  Maybe it'll help FLGS's.  Who knows?  Maybe I'm just thinking too much.
:?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:50 pm 

"Main Street Fairness Act,"

Enforcement would be a nightmare.  Also, maybe it's just me, but does wording of the bill's name conjur up images of Atlas Shrugged to anyone else?

-dave

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:08 pm 

benjoshua wrote:Still, I always wondered why buying items across the border meant there was no tax.  It doesn't make sense.  I'm mean, I understand why it's the way it is, but it's whacked.

States are sovereign.  They cannot tax each other.  Inter-state commerce is under the authority of the federal government.  

The law as quoted by Ebay sounds unconstitutional.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:58 am 

benjoshua wrote:Still, I always wondered why buying items across the border meant there was no tax.  It doesn't make sense.  I'm mean, I understand why it's the way it is, but it's whacked. The lack of cross border sales taxes encourages cross border and internet selling.  It makes people in the middle of nowhere relevant to the economy everywhere.  I can see where the Post Office will have to increase its rates even more as shipping decreases.  And maybe decreasing shipping is a good thing.  Maybe it'll help FLGS's.  Who knows?  Maybe I'm just thinking too much.
:?

Actually, it makes great sense. It helps keep taxes everywhere a bit lower - if one state goes too far, people can at least vote with their wallets and even feet, so the assorted criminals and traitors that make up our various local and state governments have to keep taxes somewhat sane. But if its all one happy unified tax rate, well, if you ever wanted to find out what it was like being a slave on a plantation, you'll have your chance. While you may be de jure free, in practice taxes will be so high that you will have to work 12 hour days 6 or even 7 days a week just to make ends meet.

Well, perhaps that's exaggerated (I hope, anyway), but I can guarantee much higher taxes - at least double - and the end or at least serious diminishment of internet business. I sincerely hope this commie law gets shot down... and its supporters strung up and hang'n high (or, at least, voted out of office)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 am 

I meant to post this earlier.

Paypal (Ebay) has found some more ways to wring money out of customers.
Of note, full refunds will not refund the 0.30 fixed transaction fee to the seller.

I received this in an email last month:

Starting August 2010
• A chargeback will cost $20. (It was $10.) If you're in our PayPal Preferred program, you won't pay chargeback fees for your eBay transactions.
• For full refunds, we'll continue to refund the percentage (e.g. 2.9%) on each transaction but we'll retain the fixed transaction fee. (Typically $0.30.) Pricing for partial refunds is not changing.

This is the first time we've increased fees for these services, and our prices remain very competitive. You might see lower rates advertised elsewhere, but keep in mind that with PayPal, there are no extra costs, monthly minimums, downgrade penalties, or cancellation charges. To learn more about the hidden fees some companies charge, read this article from Inc. magazine.

To learn more about chargebacks and how to prevent them, see the Chargeback Guide.

We know you have choices when it comes to your online payment service, so thank you for choosing PayPal.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:50 pm 

FormCritic wrote:States are sovereign.  They cannot tax each other.  Inter-state commerce is under the authority of the federal government. The law as quoted by Ebay sounds unconstitutional.

I suppose it depends on where the transaction is legally considered to take place. If states re-define it as only the seller's location, they could hypothetically get around the issue ('hypothetically' meaning with new court rulings & legislation).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:26 pm 

sauromatian wrote:I suppose it depends on where the transaction is legally considered to take place. If states re-define it as only the seller's location, they could hypothetically get around the issue ('hypothetically' meaning with new court rulings & legislation).

And then come the lawsuits.

No doubt, the federal government will find a way to tax internet sales sooner or later.  They've been itching to get at that revenue source since the early days when Bill Clinton began running it past his focus groups.

States might find it harder to do.  Logically, a seller is always located in one state or another.  Therefore, a sale has to take place somewhere even if it means shipping iron ore from Kansas to New Mexico.

Internet sales would move...overseas or to dead airspace or Communist China or just about anywhere.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:30 am 

But if they tax online sales, wouldn't they logically have to tax all interstate commerce?

Problematic, to say the least.

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:14 am 

They've been taxing eBay sales in the UK for years. It's paid by the seller after the sale and automatically taken off by eBay at the same time as they take the Final Valuation Fee. They list them as separate transactions so that you can quanify the tax if you need to declare it or claim it back or whatever. eBay are also oliged to pass on your details to the Inland Revenue after your income through your eBay account passes a certain amount. I think it's £10K pa, but I'm not sure.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:01 am 

FormCritic wrote:
And then come the lawsuits.

No doubt, the federal government will find a way to tax internet sales sooner or later.  They've been itching to get at that revenue source since the early days when Bill Clinton began running it past his focus groups.

States might find it harder to do.  Logically, a seller is always located in one state or another.  Therefore, a sale has to take place somewhere even if it means shipping iron ore from Kansas to New Mexico.

Internet sales would move...overseas or to dead airspace or Communist China or just about anywhere.

Ebay isn't even the biggest money maker....look at Amazon, for instance.

The problem IMO isn't even the fact the items were taxed, but that it would fall upon me, you, everyone selling on Amazon and Ebay to figure those taxed, different in every single state, and apply them legally and fairly.

Unless some sort of software was bundled in to those online checkouts that did all the work for us, it would be a nightmare to the mom and pops....even more so to people who DONT sell online with Amazon and Ebay as they would have to do all the calculations themselves. Reminds me of the early days before flat rate envelopes and boxes made shipping easy instead of the nightmare of figuring every location's postage separately each shipment.

But I think a happy sideproduct for most of the congolomerates would be putting mom and pop out of business.....they've been making a comeback ever since the introduction of the internet, and cutting into the profit margin with the help of Ebay, Amazon, Etsy, and other online selling services.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

PreviousNext