Rusty Staples
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:07 pm 

Just wondering here if anyone has ever done anything with a collectible with rusty staples?  If they are already rusty, but no longer in a damp environment, would you expect them to contine to rust?  Has anyone ever replaced them or treated them with anything?  Just curious because there are plenty of near mint items out there with rusty staples.  Thanks.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:13 pm 

Your stuck. Once they start rusting they generally will not stop. Staples are made of the cheapest metal available and hence will not hold up. You can slow things down by keeping the item bagged and dry. The only things that inhibit or "cleans" rust will damage paper. So clean at your own risk.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:59 pm 

Howdy,

macordani wrote:Just wondering here if anyone has ever done anything with a collectible with rusty staples?  If they are already rusty, but no longer in a damp environment, would you expect them to contine to rust?  Has anyone ever replaced them or treated them with anything?  Just curious because there are plenty of near mint items out there with rusty staples. Thanks.

I wouldn't expect them to rust but why take the risk. If it matters to you, it likely matters to others. Thus, the value is affected.

On my ST1 Up the Garden Path I had staples just starting to rust. I removed them and put them in a tiny ziplock stored within the module. The module is bagged too, of course. I have done this with other items as well. Don't replace or alter them, it will affect their value if you are honest in any future transaction involving the item. By all means, don't lose the original staples!

On items I reference, I sometimes put new staples in by hand. Saves a lot of damage from pages slipping out, tearing, or creasing. I'd never resell such an item without the original staples.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:08 pm 

Macordani,

the staples issue has been touched before. You might want to read the thread:

Rusty Staples....

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:57 pm 

I'll replace staples when necessary.  If the staples aren't too bad, I'll take the staples out of the book, scrape the rust off with a knife, and put the staples back in.  That's the quick and dirty method.  The best method though is to use a copper penny instead of the knife.  It takes the rust off without damaging the surface.  It's what I do on the rare occasion that I encounter rust on my vintage machete.  To prevent the rust from coming back on the machete, I'll wax it using car wax.

Car wax though is a little tough to apply on staples.  :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:30 am 

Thanks for the info.  Now I'll just have to decide what to do with my own staple problem.  Only a handful of my items are bad.  I might just remove the staples and put them in a separate baggie with the item.  At least then you still have the staples, but they won't continue to ruin the paper.  Tough decision.   :?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:51 am 

Have any of you ever tried Electrolysis to remove the rust from the staples?  It should be able to clean them nicely, although they would obviously still have to be removed from the magazine/ book.

But it ought to solve the twin problems of eliminating the further damage to the paper while retaining the original staples.

Carl