What some people put in their box sets!
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:32 am 

As I look over 20 pages of a Pizza Hut Sales Analysis Report for April, 28 1999 that arrived in a Dragon Mountain Box set, I can't help but wonder what "discoveries" others have found.

Various other oddball finds include Payroll check stubs used as bookmarks (comes complete with the former owner's full name and social security number) and someone used "shredded" medical records from the office where they apparently worked as packing material.  Just straight cut shredding (not even mixed up) and you could just read the list of patient names, dates, Dr. name, etc (quite a substantial HIPPA violation).

Anyway, there most be a host of other interesting finds - unfortunately mine have been rather mundane (though certainly not expected).

So, how about it?  Anything good?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:07 am 

I once got a Mayfair Games game called Transylvania in a Basic D&D box set.  The thing was in mint condition in it's original baggy.  I had no idea what it was so I put it on ebay and it sold for $25.  I paid $5 for the box set.  Kind of a nice surprise.

moron with money

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:18 am 

Several times I have gotten bonus modules in with boxed sets, the best being an H2. I also got some letters sent to Bob Blake with questions about D&D rules that were returned with notes written in the margins, but the strangest item I got in a boxed set was a sexy photo of a young lady.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:53 am 

Boxed sets can be pretty much good or bad, unless they are in the original SW of course.  Here are a couple of the more interesting ones I have had:

* Bought a Basic & Greyhawk box lot that was supposed to be "Complete" and in "Good" condition.  The boxed sets ended up containing a bunch of loose Dragon Magazine articles, remnants of the original books and other unrelated products, and, half of the Greyhawk map.  It was amazing - nothing was complete!  Needless to say, I had a few choice words for the seller who professed ignorance of what should have been in the set.

* City of Greyhawk boxed set with some bonus items that were essentially like-new.  They were Vale of the Mage and Greyhawk Ruins.

Not a boxed set but still a wonderful discovery:

* Purchased a 1st edition DMG amongst a few other books at a convention that had a crisp $100.00 bill nestled between two pages towards the back.  Definitely made the purchase worthwhile!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 10:20 pm 

Not D&D, but I bought the Albedo RPG box set at a used bookstore about 2 years ago and as bonuses got 2 softcover sourcebooks and the first dozen or so issues of the comic (which a comic-collecting friends tells me are worth a few hundred).
I've gotten a fair amount of characters sheets, Dragon articles, and the like.  One time I got an RPGA prize certificate (like the ones you had to have specially made at a printers, because it was from the late 80's) mixed in with a bunch of stuff.
Myalbinogorilla, once bought a lot of 4 or 5 modules for just the 2 I needed.  The sick thing was, when I re-sold the spares, I made double what I spent on the original lot.  And they were ultra-common books too...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 11:01 am 

The most common thing I get is someone's character and game notes.. sometimes  a map or handout too.

I love this stuff!  It doesn't always make sense but it's fun to look through it and see if I can figure out what was going on in their campaign, what kind of game it was (power gamers, role players, munchkins etc..)

And if I can recognize any of the adventures they were doing from the notes.

Voyeuristic of me, I know. But interesting!

Best find ever?  has to be the OD&D books in the lizard logo basic set.

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:04 pm 

WGR2-WGR6.
I did get a Rules Cyclopedia some years ago at a yard sale with some VERY revealing pictures inside. I didn't see the girl at the yard sale that I recall. Otherwise I would have gone back..........
Damn, now that I think of it, I STILL have the pictures in there! Thank God the wife doesn't play D&D.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:38 am 

Well, I bought on EBay a second edition Call of Cthulhu boxed set (for a very loooow price) and I found inside Shadows of Yog Sothoht (1st edition!) and The Horrible Secret of Monhegan Island. Having no use for them, I put them on EBay. I'm happy to report that the money earned, albeit no big deal, was more than enough to cover shipping costs to Italy for CoC and the Paranoia lot (including the boxed game). I was happy  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:17 am 

Well, now the more that I think about it - I guess I too have "stashed" a few things away in box sets.

As I remember, they were the primary hidding place of. . .

certain. . .  smokable. .  herbal intoxicants. . .  
:)

of course, magzines and videos of a private nature required something larger -  like an Axis & Allies game.

But we were all teenagers at one point, right?   :oops:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:39 pm 

Be sure to let me know if you ever auction off your old box sets breach!  That'd be a nice bonus!

(And wow... what a scam if someone figured out how to use Ebay for those purposes!)

:lol:

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:48 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:As I look over 20 pages of a Pizza Hut Sales Analysis Report for April, 28 1999 that arrived in a Dragon Mountain Box set, I can't help but wonder what "discoveries" others have found.

Various other oddball finds include Payroll check stubs used as bookmarks (comes complete with the former owner's full name and social security number) and someone used "shredded" medical records from the office where they apparently worked as packing material.  Just straight cut shredding (not even mixed up) and you could just read the list of patient names, dates, Dr. name, etc (quite a substantial HIPPA violation).

Anyway, there most be a host of other interesting finds - unfortunately mine have been rather mundane (though certainly not expected).

Mundane items:  Plastic ware (fork, spoon and knife, all used, ecch), photos, dice, pencils, pens, paper of every time, game notes, characters, lists of things to do, home rules and spells, one guy's entire campaign world of 50 pages handwritten (some good ideas), matchbox (full), unpaid bills (oops), kleenex used (double ecch), and more,that's just what I can remember offhand.

Interesting/valuable items: once, in a Call of Cthulhu boxed set, a Mont Blanc pen in perfect shape, I looked it up on the internet and new it was $125....and it still writes very nice;
A silver letter opener from Antigua (!);
In a World of Greyhawk box I bought sealed from a used game store, no World of Greyhawk but the entire set of original Greyhawk supplements (Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Eldritch Wizardry, Gods Demigods & Heroes) and the booklets from the White box set.....Nice!!! Definitely better than the correct contents would have been;
I can't beat the $100 bill, but once in a Player's Handbook I found a envelope between two of the pages with about $5 in 1's...the envelope said "Pizza Money" on it!
A Forgotten Realms boxed set taped shut...nothing for the Forgotten Realms inside, but all the WGR series, NM and complete with maps!(Greyhawk Ruins, Treasures of Greyhawk, Rary the TRaitor, Marklands, Iuz).  I almost didn't buy the box because I didn't really need it, but it was only $3! Plus it felt really heavy, so I thought it might have a few extras inside. Once of my best "luck" buys ever.
Once bought a Planescape boxed set, the original, with the correct contents, plus a cool bonus...all the maps/handouts from the boxed sets Planes of Law, Planes of Conflict, Planes of Chaos, Hellbound, etc.  They've come in handy over the years to fill in pieces when I find an incomplete set.

Over the years I think I've also found where a few gamer/stoners keep their stash....sometimes I open a box after buying it at a used bookstore and wheeewwww!  The scent of the wacky weed hits you so hard you almost get secondary smoke stoneage.  Makes it hard to resell, you really have to air those out!

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:38 pm 

There must be something to the "stash" idea then!

I never worried my Dad might accdientally open up the Indiana Jones RPG box set and stumble across. . . cetain substances.  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:30 am 

Ok, I got a Forgotten Realms Campaign Boxed set that had nothing but miscellaneous Forgotten Realms maps, dragonlance maps and two MERP maps - one of which was for the Court of Ardor (the rarest MERP item?).

Morgansurname says it was worth $25- $50, but this is better news to Deadlord since I gave it to him. . .  :)

Just got a Gangbusters boxed set with absolutely nothing in it but an unused Revolt on Antares TSR mini-game.  This was pretty cool for me, since I just recently decided to start collecting these and I needed this one! :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:46 am 

Hey, speaking of the mini-games - I've been trying to remember and find them myself after stumbling across Pleasantville.
What were the others?
Awful Green Things
Snits' Revenge
a vampire one (?)

I forgot all about Antares until now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:56 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:

8O Ouch!! As a medical professional...the HIPPA violation is quite shocking.  Ouch.....It's a good thing Frank did not get a hold of those boxes!!!! :wink:

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:16 pm 

mordrin wrote:Hey, speaking of the mini-games - I've been trying to remember and find them myself after stumbling across Pleasantville.
What were the others?
Awful Green Things
Snits' Revenge
a vampire one (?)

I forgot all about Antares until now.

Try this e-museum - it has all of the microgames:

The Classic Microgames Museum Index

Awful Green Things was actual released as a full size board game by TSR. (Snit's Revenge also?). Steve Jackson games later released it as a mini-game in the later 80's and in a newer form a few years ago.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:38 am 

Tales of the Lance boxed set with about a dozen shards of broken glass.

Nice  8O

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:08 am 

Aw...the damn delivery company broke your Orbs of Dragonkind.

:(

Next