Two years later.....
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:11 pm 

Very cool! Really sets the mood, I will have to build something like this for myself one day!  :wink:

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:57 pm 

I dont see the pics? Am I alone in this?

--

Update. Seems my browser was malfunctioning. I see them now. Wow! Most impressive! I envy you.

Last edited by caladin on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:29 pm 

caladin wrote:I dont see the pics? Am I alone in this?

The pictures are on the first page of this thread.

I can see them fine, and they weren't in my browser cache.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:51 am 

burntwire brothers wrote:
Many years of trolling ebay  :)

Hmm - Nice room but 8 copies?? There are many examples of tripples+ in your shelves

I must point out that 'trolling ebay' means that you were buying extra copies on top of doubles when probability suggests that there were buyers out there who would like one copy.  

Going past about two copies is not very altruistic for increasing interest and participation in the hobby, as it necessarily means denying others materials - but I expect this aspect of promoting altruism in D&D is a minority opinion in this site. :roll:

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:23 am 

saturncancer wrote:
Hmm - Nice room but 8 copies?? There are many examples of tripples+ in your shelves

I must point out that 'trolling ebay' means that you were buying extra copies on top of doubles when probability suggests that there were buyers out there who would like one copy.  

Going past about two copies is not very altruistic for increasing interest and participation in the hobby, as it necessarily means denying others materials - but I expect this aspect of promoting altruism in D&D is a minority opinion in this site. :roll:

Yeah, we're just a bunch of selfish hoarders here.  The Acaeum is nothing but an evil cabal of wealthy collectors.  Our goal is to drive up prices so that only a select group of people own all of the D&D merchandise in the world.  :roll:

Bah....I'm too tired to give a flying fuck.  :evil:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:39 am 

@saturncancer: without looking back to the pics, I'll guess tradebait, multiple printings and/or general research might account for a lot of that. Well, and/or reselling, but that's a matter of taste. :)

Kingofpain89 wrote:Yeah, we're just a bunch of selfish hoarders here.  The Acaeum is nothing but an evil cabal of wealthy collectors.  Our goal is to drive up prices so that only a select group of people own all of the D&D merchandise in the world.  :roll:

*g* I for one would still be over the moon to see mainstream museums or groups of individuals coming to the fore to help take things into the future in a more secure manner but that's more than a bit of an uphill battle.
For now, it's still more or less "everyone for themselves" and goodness knows what will be left for posterity.

Kingofpain89 wrote:Bah....I'm too tired to give a flying fuck.  :evil:

Hey... 6.40am here. Sleep well! :)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:20 am 

saturncancer wrote:Going past about two copies is not very altruistic for increasing interest and participation in the hobby, as it necessarily means denying others materials - but I expect this aspect of promoting altruism in D&D is a minority opinion in this site. :roll:

Really, you mean I can't go on ebay right now and buy anything because someone already bought everything? Damn it! I guess I will just have to quit.
Seriously now, exactly what part about being a collector is supposed to be altruistic? That has got to be the most confounding statement I have read on any game forum in a long time.

This site is devoted to informing the D&D/TSR collector. It is what we do. To do that you need to actually own the products. So we spend our money, often large amounts, and donate our time to spread the the "word" through the most accurate D&D/AD&D website bar none and we get hit with the "you guys don't play fair" card? Wow.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:22 am 

I think what he is trying to say is that a collector would buy one, a reseller would buy several. My guess.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:34 am 

saturncancer wrote:

Great first post... Perhaps you are struggling with what collectors do. They collect. There is a clue in there...

If you'd bothered to read the site, you'd see that essentially every product listed has print runs up to 9th or beyond. Surely that gives you an indication that there are going to be more than 1 or 2 copies wanted for those who collect these. Each is slightly different. EDIT - If you'd also read the site, you'd see that the guys here very regularly give away items to other collectors who are missing maps (for instance) or have sustained an accident with their collection. Knowledge is collected, enjoyed and shared.

I guess you'd take a similar view on other collectors in the world of other items?? Heaven forbid that I wanted to have more than one copy of anything in the future...  :roll:

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:16 am 

saturncancer wrote:Going past about two copies is not very altruistic for increasing interest and participation in the hobby, as it necessarily means denying others materials - but I expect this aspect of promoting altruism in D&D is a minority opinion in this site. :roll:

And people wonder why some newbies get hazed.  When you've found a clue, saturncancer, let us know.  :roll:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:36 am 

Sorry, saturncancer, if you come back to read this...

Read around the site a bit and you'll see that there are many acts of kindness and public service here, as well as general good will.

The Burntwire Brothers aren't going to corner the world market on Holmes Basic Sets even if they double their collection.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Last edited by FormCritic on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:46 am 

Just a guess, but I think the cross-pollenization may have started here...

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 11&t=41533

Seems 50/50 on the like/dislike meter.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:47 am 

This particular thread is getting a lot of love from my 3.5 D&D campaign group.

Two of them, at different times this week, have both sent me links to this thread asking me "... do you know who this guy is...?"

I 'fessed up to it...  :lol:

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:54 am 

I'm sure if Saturncancer, or anyone else, wanted to buy something they'd get a job and pony up the money and buy it. The fact that some people can buy things and others can't is not going to change with jealousy, but it would change with hard work and better money management. Altruism is not something that DF is particularly known for, although ignorance often is. And with practically every TSR publication ever written freely available to everyone in the world to download off the internet, I don't imagine asking the lazy and the feckless to buy copies of Holmes Basic Boxed Sets is going to have any imapct of the hobby whatsoever. Feel free to vent you jealousy, There's nothing wrong with it. But at least recognise it for what it is. Otherwise you just perpetuate the image of ignorace your post projects.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:36 am 

bbarsh wrote:Just a guess, but I think the cross-pollenization may have started here...

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 11&t=41533

Seems 50/50 on the like/dislike meter.

Saunatonttu over on DF has made it well known that he isnt fond of "collectors" but I wouldn't think he would waste his time by coming over here just to stir shit up.  I've been wrong before though.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:05 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:Saunatonttu over on DF has made it well known that he isnt fond of "collectors" but I wouldn't think he would waste his time by coming over here just to stir shit up.  I've been wrong before though.
Nah, not likely.  This is the first I've heard of his unfondness for collectors, actually.  (Except those that abandon his cleric in a dungeon to die, naturally, but that only happened once!)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:46 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
Saunatonttu over on DF has made it well known that he isnt fond of "collectors" but I wouldn't think he would waste his time by coming over here just to stir shit up.  I've been wrong before though.

I was not suggesting it was anyone in particular or even a DF guy. Just that there is a coincidence...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:57 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Nah, not likely.  This is the first I've heard of his unfondness for collectors, actually.

Unfortunately I dont have time to spend searching through all of the threads there looking for the specific post he made.  It was a few months ago.  He may have made the post in jest but it didnt seem like it then.  He may have been having a bad day and just felt like complaining.  Who knows.

bbarsh wrote:I was not suggesting it was anyone in particular or even a DF guy. Just that there is a coincidence...

I understand where you are coming from.  But there has been quite a bit of venom spewed back and forth lately between several members of both sites regarding L4.  It may be a case of drive-by douchebaggery and has nothing to do with anyone on DF.  I just dont see it being that cut-and-dried.

PreviousNext