Two years later.....
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:46 pm 

FormCritic wrote:It's a beautiful re-model job.

As a gamer, I see that really nice pattern carved in the table top and I think:  "D'oh!  That's gonna be hard to map on!"

That pattern is from Warhammer, and based on the book and miniatures, I'm thinking more wargaming than roleplaying takes place there, so no worries on mapping.

Heck of an impressive room, though!

Areas of interest/knowledge: Harn, WFRP, Ars Magica, anything BRP based such as CoC, Runequest, Pendragon and all their related games

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:52 am 

What is the floor made of? What is the ceiling made of? Where did you get the table? I'm starting to redesign my game room and any help or advice would be really really appreciated!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:15 am 

Monkplayer wrote:What is the floor made of? What is the ceiling made of? Where did you get the table? I'm starting to redesign my game room and any help or advice would be really really appreciated!

The floor looks like carpet and the ceiling looks like wooden beams.  However, since these "beams" have recessed lights, my guess is that they are false beams and may have little structural value.

If I were designing a game room, I think I'd make it look similar to this.  Personally, I would place practicality over ambiance.  I'd have comfortable chairs, a smooth, flat table no larger than 4x8 so I could reach any part of the table without too much effort. I'd want a heavy table so bumps wouldn't knock over miniatures or displays.   I'd want the lights to not put out too much heat.  It would be nice to have a storage closet with fire resistant sheetrock (like the kind they use in kitchens).  I'm not saying I don't like the ambiance of this room (I do), I'd just make sure it worked as good as it looked.

I can imagine lots of people on this forum would like to see before and after pictures.  Good luck!   :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:03 am 

Dudes!
Sweet.

Nemesis of the Annoyingly Dense
Guidelines, not rules...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:13 am 

Devon & Shawn, Tim Kask wrote that your game room is sweet. Does it get any better than that?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:43 am 

High praise indeed.  :)

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:13 pm 

A very impressive game room indeed! One question. Why do you need so many copies of the same book?

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:16 pm 

clangador wrote:A very impressive game room indeed! One question. Why do you need so many copies of the same book?

I am guessing different print runs is at least partialy responsible.   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:51 pm 

benjoshua wrote:
I am guessing different print runs is at least partialy responsible.   8)

Perhaps, but after that?

~Clangador
---------------

Black Blade Publishing imprint of OSRIC is not only the most definitive printing of OSRIC to date, but also the single greatest resource for old school gamers since the three original hardbacks written by E. Gary Gygax.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:47 pm 

clangador wrote:
Perhaps, but after that?

Hmmm... I like guessing.  Let's see....

We have Burntwire Brothers which implies two, and if they don't like to share, then we have a possible contributer.  Or, they have collectible copies and play copies which could contribute to the collection.  Or maybe they just have a condition called "collectoritis," which is the materialistic condition afflicitng many of the members here where one must keep getting more and more stuff.....I don't know what's going on, but it was fun guessing.   :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:27 pm 

benjoshua wrote:

We have Burntwire Brothers which implies two, and if they don't like to share, then we have a possible contributer.  Or, they have collectible copies and play copies which could contribute to the collection.  Or maybe they just have a condition called "collectoritis," which is the materialistic condition afflicitng many of the members here where one must keep getting more and more stuff.....I don't know what's going on, but it was fun guessing.   :)

Indeed.

~Clangador
---------------

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:33 pm 

benjoshua wrote:

I have this affliction  :(   I am trying to organize and catalogue every item in my collection (way overdue) and in my searches over the years I have accumilated 16 1st ed players handbooks, 18 dm's guides, 15 Monster manuals 2's and so on.  Many are different prints of course but lots of duplicates as well.  

I have so much stuff that is extra it is overwhelming, it is getting sorted though :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:54 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I have so much stuff that is extra it is overwhelming, it is getting sorted though :D

That's the only way to bail that boat out, Jeff---one box at a time  :)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:51 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
I have this affliction  :(   I am trying to organize and catalogue every item in my collection (way overdue) and in my searches over the years I have accumilated 16 1st ed players handbooks, 18 dm's guides, 15 Monster manuals 2's and so on.  Many are different prints of course but lots of duplicates as well.  

I have so much stuff that is extra it is overwhelming, it is getting sorted though :D

Going through something similar here.
I don't have that kind of volume, but it's taken some work to get it straightened out.

Just the same, it's a nice problem to have.

I also like to read my stuff frequently, so one thing I need is some kind of briefcase-like thing to carry stuff around the house or in the car while I'm waiting on the <insert wife, kid, in-law, vagabond, et al>.  
Right now I use a backpack, but it smushes my modules and mags.

"Smush" is the technical term, btw :)

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:59 am 

I have many multiple copies of the Moldvay basic $ expert books, in many different printings. What I do is pair them up, sometimes with a spare module like B1 or X1, and when I meet people who like the idea of 'old skool' D&D, I give them the bones of what I started playing with. The books and modules are practically worthless here in the UK, fetching less than the cost of postage on eBay, but as a beginning player, they are pretty invaluable. I could run a campaign for years based solely on what is contained in those two books.

I could sell my entire collection if I had to, but I don't think my collection would ever drop below Moldvay Basic & Expert.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:34 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I have many multiple copies of the Moldvay basic $ expert books, in many different printings. What I do is pair them up, sometimes with a spare module like B1 or X1, and when I meet people who like the idea of 'old skool' D&D, I give them the bones of what I started playing with.

I think this could have real sales potential, as something which could be packaged for distribution & sale at LGSs. That is, the necessary quantity is available. Perhaps not to the extent of the average modern RPG product, but as much as many small-press items. Enough so that they could be re-ordered & re-stocked as needed, & thus handled seamlessly (rather than being odd/unique items). I wonder how much creative packaging one could get away with, before WotC took offense?

For old-old skool, it would be Holmes & the JG Initial Guidelines Booklet I, plus random JG books & maps.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:20 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote:I have many multiple copies of the Moldvay basic $ expert books, in many different printings. What I do is pair them up, sometimes with a spare module like B1 or X1, and when I meet people who like the idea of 'old skool' D&D, I give them the bones of what I started playing with. The books and modules are practically worthless here in the UK, fetching less than the cost of postage on eBay, but as a beginning player, they are pretty invaluable. I could run a campaign for years based solely on what is contained in those two books.

I could sell my entire collection if I had to, but I don't think my collection would ever drop below Moldvay Basic & Expert.

It's amazing -- and very cool -- the impact that the B/X sets had on so many players.  I own copies, but we never used those rules sets.  
Instead, our group used a really weird hybrid of OD&D & Metamorphosis Alpha before we finally switched over to 1E.

But from lurking around on a few other message boards there's obviously a tremendous sentiment for the B/X sets.

Maybe I should set up a game with my kids (now that they're old enough) using just those.

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 am 

Keith the Thief wrote:
It's amazing -- and very cool -- the impact that the B/X sets had on so many players.  I own copies, but we never used those rules sets.  
Instead, our group used a really weird hybrid of OD&D & Metamorphosis Alpha before we finally switched over to 1E.

But from lurking around on a few other message boards there's obviously a tremendous sentiment for the B/X sets.

Maybe I should set up a game with my kids (now that they're old enough) using just those.

The impact of those B/X sets cannot be overstated. They were my first two RPG purchases--had to have them when I saw them on the shelf in the mall bookstore. I proceeded to teach myself how to play with the rulebooks and B2 and X1, but never actually used them with anyone else. By the time I found other players, I had "graduated" to the AD&D PHB, DMG, and MM. But I still have those worn old B/X books.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

PreviousNext