Two years later.....
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:01 am 

as another  collector in australia I have to join in on this - there is a forbidden zone - its called Adelaide  -  collecting in OZ is particularly difficult because master Blaster runs barter town - and we have to run the gauntlet of screaming mutant bikers just to get to the hobby store & then trade water  and machine parts for 1e  modules in a post apocalyptic waste world where 80's Tina turner plays on endless loop AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 8O

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:04 am 

bizb wrote:as another  collector in australia I have to join in on this - there is a forbidden zone - its called Adelaide  -  collecting in OZ is particularly difficult because master Blaster runs barter town - and we have to run the gauntlet of screaming mutant bikers just to get to the hobby store & then trade water  and machine parts for 1e  modules in a post apocalyptic waste world where 80's Tina turner plays on endless loop AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 8O

TWO MAN ENTER. ONE MAN LEAVE. TWO MAN ENTER. ONE MAN LEAVE

time to get back to work

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:09 am 

saturncancer wrote:
Yes "Gnat the Beggar'' you may. It reminds me constantly to wear gloves when working on figures, in Alchemy Saturn is lead and well...

I am simply relaying what I hear, and I talk to alot of fellow games (and store owners) here in Australia.
If for example, someone wants to play D&D based on the rules encyclopaedia as they may have done back in High School for instance, they have to compete on eBay with people quite prepared to push to price upto $50US - and then contend with Postage, which is an issue internationally.

It tends to push people to play boardgames instead, or MMORPGS.  I would rather see 20 other people playing D&D and that chap with the 30 books perhaps settle with 9 copies of the various editions?

And my family would certainly label me a collector. Perhaps not a 'true' collector (whatever that means) but Ive got a lot of space dedicated to my D&D collection

Look - It may be a contentious truth, even one that attracts defensiveness and possibly vitriol, but it is a practical truth. I mean no ill will to fellow D&D enthusiasts but I do think it is worth realizing it

I think it is important to share that.

I feel your pain and I do understand.
I tend ot want to buy items from the UK/France/Germany, and even Australia sometimes.
The shipping can kill a deal and often times it does for me.

BUT I think I have a good solution for BOTH of us...
You and your RPG playing friends and me and my USA friends will start a grab box.

You and your friends can start Hoarding Aussie Prints of TSR Modules and other Aussie items that are so hard to find here in the USA.

My friends and I already have HOARDS of stuff to trade...

I will act as the go between and I will send you a bunch of our stuff (Working from YOUR wish list too; and we will even pay half the shipping) for you and your friends hoard of Aussie items (And we will even pay your shipping too).

I will start the trade negotiations by tossing in a nice complete copy of Castle Greyhawk (The real one, not that funky remake thing).

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 am 

**cough** Aussie Pastel Modules **cough**

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:28 am 

hmmm, funny you mention that - I am about to post all 3 g series aus monos in Lovely condition - for sale... stay tuned :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:16 am 

Look - It may be a contentious truth...

It's not any kind of truth.  Nobody's missing out on the book because of hoarding as it's not even remotely in short supply.  There are five on ebay at the moment, and there will be about the same number any given week of the year.

eBay listings

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:25 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
It's not any kind of truth.  Nobody's missing out on the book because of hoarding as it's not even remotely in short supply.  There are five on ebay at the moment, and there will be about the same number any given week of the year.

eBay listings

Yeah but I think the P & M'ing is due the fact he has to pay $50, $60 or, egads even $70+ for a decent copy.  I don't pretend to understand the rising demand and associated cost for the RC.  I've never paid more than $30.00 for any of my copies and in many cases much less.  Of course I don't restrict myself to shopping just Ebay (as I am certain most of the serious collectors here don't either.)  I think part of Saturn's problem is the fact he lives in OZ which seems to be a challenging place to find OOp RPG stuff, and as pointed out, prohibitively expensive to ship to/from...

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:28 am 

saturncancer wrote:LOL

I have heard of many people frustrated at trying to track down modules on eBay (such as the Bloodstone series, Greyhawk ruins, etc) and giving up.

That is ebay. The modules you are citing are generally more difficult to come by because their print runs were signficantly smaller than their contemporaries. Bloodstone and GH Ruins are by no mean rare, but they tend to command higher dollars than more "standard" modules. It has been that way on ebay for 10 years. You can get those modules with a bit of patience, but be prepared to drop up to $50 for one. That is a bargain by the way because five years ago they were averaged $80+.

This has nothing to do with collectors buying them all up.

Same applies to the RC. It is harder to come by book, that hardly anyone purchased when it came out. Therefore, it is not like a 1e phb and billions of them are flying around out there. They are "scarce" but not rare. Also, it is a high demand product because it is flat out one of the best rule books ever produced by TSR. It is a sleeper. That drives prices up.

This has nothing to do with collectors. Prices for the above referenced modules and RC have stayed steady for years and years. We call that supply and demand.

This applies to an actual horde of TSR items. Check around this site and you will find a matrix that scales items based on rarity and prices accordingly.  

Welcome to the Acaeum, by the way.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:42 am 

bizb wrote:as another  collector in australia I have to join in on this - there is a forbidden zone - its called Adelaide  -  collecting in OZ is particularly difficult because master Blaster runs barter town - and we have to run the gauntlet of screaming mutant bikers just to get to the hobby store & then trade water  and machine parts for 1e  modules in a post apocalyptic waste world where 80's Tina turner plays on endless loop AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 8O

You think Bartertown is bad?  You should try finding stuff in New York.  The damn U.S. Police Force has walled up the city and mined the bridges.  And some jerk named "The Duke" runs the place like a damn dictator.  He has ALL of the good D&D stuff.  I've heard rumors that he will trade a beat up copy of H1 either for your girlfriend or a week's supply of gas.

Thunderdome....meh.  :|

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:11 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
You think Bartertown is bad?  You should try finding stuff in New York.  The damn U.S. Police Force has walled up the city and mined the bridges.  And some jerk named "The Duke" runs the place like a damn dictator.  He has ALL of the good D&D stuff.  I've heard rumors that he will trade a beat up copy of H1 either for your girlfriend or a week's supply of gas.

Kingofpain?  I heard you were dead! :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:27 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:

That's almost as bad as it is here in the Pacific Northwest, with Renraku and Aztechnology dominating the local economy and the Tribes running the rest of the state like private property.  If it weren't for all the Yakuza and corporate ops spending money on technology, the local economy'd be a bust.  You haven't competed for collectibles until you've gone up against Runners.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:42 am 

Hi Folks,

Keep in mind this collection belongs to two people and we bought alot of that stuff many years ago when it was much more common and waaaay less expensive.  Some of us remember when shrinkwrapped 1st Edition modules were a common thing on ebay.  We aren't printing junkies but if there is an obvious difference in print runs we try to get them.  If I showed you photos of those shelves now you would see less doubles/triples because we went through and pulled those to sell at our booth at GenCon last year.  Our prices were well below what they would have gotten on ebay but we made good profits and our buyers were really happy to find this stuff.

GaryCon or Bust,

Devon

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:52 am 

burntwire brothers wrote:Hi Folks,
 Keep in mind this collection belongs to two people and we bought alot of that stuff many years ago when it was much more common and waaaay less expensive.  Some of us remember when shrinkwrapped 1st Edition modules were a common thing on ebay.  We aren't printing junkies but if there is an obvious difference in print runs we try to get them.  If I showed you photos of those shelves now you would see less doubles/triples because we went through and pulled those to sell at our booth at GenCon last year.  Our prices were well below what they would have gotten on ebay but we made good profits and our buyers were really happy to find this stuff.

GaryCon or Bust,
Devon

I will confirm that there prices were kick ass, I unloaded a great portion of my wallet at there booth (thank guys) :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:59 am 

burntwire brothers wrote:Hi Folks,

GaryCon or Bust,
Devon

Any chance you guys will offer up the plans for your kicka$$ gaming room?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:37 pm 

simrion wrote:
Any chance you guys will offer up the plans for your kicka$$ gaming room?

Plans? Just took a few measurements and went nuts.  Helped that I'm a commercial/industrial electrician(not a good profession to be in now unfortunately  :) ) so I could do all the work myself.  If you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

-Devon

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:19 pm 

Hi guys, i just wanted to mention, that the origin pictures from "burntwire brothers" does not working anymore.
Only "bandwidth exceeded" - pictures...
They are linked to "PcGames" and seem to be very impressiv so its sad that they cannot be seen anymore...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:31 pm 

Huh?  I can still see them on the first page of the thread just fine.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:50 pm 

CTRL+F5
Kingofpain89 wrote:Huh?  I can still see them on the first page of the thread just fine.

Bandwidth quota reset, I'd guess: they were all showing "bandwidth exceeded" earlier and indeed two still are. Need a better host if you're going to be that popular. ;)

[edit] ...and there they go again (all bar one, now)

"7.3 ORGANIZING THE PARTY: Always have a keg, even if it's BYOB...
7.4 TAKING THE GAME SERIOUSLY: Don't"

PreviousNext