Two years later.....
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:54 pm 

OK.
Stacking all my third plus copies of everything RPG'ish and putting them up for sale on E-Bay soon.
Would not wish to be considered a hoarder...

Now... does the hoarding tag count for all collectable stuff?
If so, then How do I get rid of my 12 Barry Sanders Rookie Cards...? 8O

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:37 pm 

drive-by douchebaggery. that is a great turn of phrase KOP!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:52 pm 

I doubt he'll post again. Single-shot troll.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:08 pm 

So most of you are okay with the fact I own like 30+ copies of the Rules Cyclopedia?  Including a copy someone covered with red and black suede, black rabbit fur and pewter occult charms.... :D

And no I'm not a print junkie, I just bought them any time I saw one for $25.00 or less.

Politician, Tree, Rope...Some Assembly Required

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:23 pm 

simrion wrote:So most of you are okay with the fact I own like 30+ copies of the Rules Cyclopedia?  Including a copy someone covered with red and black suede, black rabbit fur and pewter occult charms.... :D

And no I'm not a print junkie, I just bought them any time I saw one for $25.00 or less.

If you did this it was a good buy  8O   These go routinely over $50 now

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:29 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
If you did this it was a good buy  8O   These go routinely over $50 now

Yeah!  Right!  Because hoarding jerks like simrion drove up the price by not being altruistic enough!  

:lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:31 pm 

Acaeum members buying up all the copies of the Rules Cyclopedia would really piss that muppet off.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:46 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Acaeum members buying up all the copies of the Rules Cyclopedia would really piss that muppet off.

I'm in.

I suspect that our anti-hoarder friend doesn't actually buy anything any way.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:13 pm 

LOL
Some of you are so quick of the mark!
Its only been 24 hours!!
I must of rolled a NAT20!!!
~
I have a job, family, and a dedicated gaming room in my home where I host regular 3.5 games having dmed since 2nd ed in 1988. It is very full of books and miniatures I have collected and I'm quite happy with it.

Personally I stop at 2 copies, one for posterity and one for regular reading and use. I have multiple copies of rank and file miniatures, but that's GW for you.

I love D&D and want to see it prosper. Here in Australia it is harder to get gaming materials, and I have noticed a trend via the local gaming store that there is something of a resurgence in interest amongst 30somethings who want to 'get back into the hobby' and kick back with friends.

Hence, any time 2nd edition stuff sits on the second hand shelf its usually gone within a week, as our local gaming store is in a Arcade aside the Train depot.

I have heard of many people frustrated at trying to track down modules on eBay (such as the Bloodstone series, Greyhawk ruins, etc) and giving up.

I think that is unfortunate. Hence my post. Not 'trolling' but a genuine observation shared amongst people whom can agree upon sharing a love for D&D.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:29 pm 

It must be really hard to collect in Australia!  8O

I saw a documentary once about Australia...

Apparently the Aussie police have to deal with speed freaks who ride the road seeking mayhem and death.  I mean, without those special cars they drive, those cops wouldn't stand a chance in the Forbidden Zone...or something like that...:?

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:30 pm 

[quote="Kingofpain89"]

Yeah, we're just a bunch of selfish hoarders here.  The Acaeum is nothing but an evil cabal of wealthy collectors.  Our goal is to drive up prices so that only a select group of people own all of the D&D merchandise in the world.  

So eloquently put. very very amusing

I do take the point that

"If you'd bothered to read the site, you'd see that essentially every product listed has print runs up to 9th or beyond

Which is totally understandable but

So most of you are okay with the fact I own like 30+ copies of the Rules Cyclopedia?

Im sure you will find plenty of people here OK with that and ready to hurl abuse at someone who takes a different point of view and points out that it is not very altruistic to do that - but that's the wonders of the internet - at its best its a place to debate ideas, at its worse its a place to invent terms of abuse such as 'drive by douchebag'.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:32 pm 

FormCritic wrote:It must be really hard to collect in Australia!  8O

I saw a documentary once about Australia...

Apparently the Aussie police have to deal with speed freaks who ride the road seeking mayhem and death.  I mean, without those special cars they drive, those cops wouldn't stand a chance in the Forbidden Zone...or something like that...:?

If you mean 'Mad Max' it is not a documentary.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:33 pm 

saturncancer wrote:
If you mean 'Mad Max' it is not a documentary.

8O WHAT?  8O

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:37 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
8O WHAT?  8O

Sorry I hope that isn't a let down. Our road rules are actually quite strict, and in my state the Police regularly have traffic blitz campaigns

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:40 pm 

I was picturing that Night Rider guy trying to score a 2nd Edition Player's Handbook before The Bronze could get around construction traffic to break up his shopping spree.  :x

Next thing you're gonna tell me is that people in Australia don't wear fur loincloths and spiked shoulder pads!  8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:41 pm 

Oh...and I suppose there's no Forbidden Zone either!  :x

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:50 pm 

Mr. Cancer, or can we call you Saturn?
...you may have exactly (NO MORE THAN) two copies of some items.
However, it seems to me that You are not a true collector...
Or at least not seriously so

Some or most of us are.

I own multiple copies of some items for (IMO) Very good reasons.
Quality is the number one reason for me.
That is Quality in the final results of my continuous search for this or that.

I strive to obtain the very best possible copy I can of each item that I wish to collect and like you I also almost always want a backup copy to read and/or play with while that search continues to its eventually happy ending (happy for me).
But unlike some folks, I must do that (seemingly) never ending search a little bit at a time.
I take baby steps, continuously working my way up from the bottom of the barrel many times, and eventually rising to the top, or close to it.

I might find a cheap basically trashed out copy of some obscure item that for some reason strikes me as something that may interest me.
If so, I would try to buy it to read and study it.
After my study of the item I can then deicde if I wish to continue searching for a finer copy of that item.
THIS IS A SMALL PART OF THAT COLLECTING RESEARCH habit that another member mentioned above.
Once I get a nicer copy, I might (eventually) sell that first reading copy and keep that nicer copy until I can upgrade once again…
Baby steps.

Sometimes when I am doing my searching (buying) I will observe large lots of items, with perhaps one or two items in the big lot of stuff that I actually want.
If the other things are items that could be re-sold easily enough, then I might try to purchase that large lot with the intent of upgrading that one item and eventually re-sell the rest.
That means I sometimes have several copies of some items on hand.
NO I AM NOT HOARDING.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I almost always have to go through HOARDS of the same items; continuously upgrading my personal collection while feeding that same habit (monetarily) by knowingly and on purpose purchasing more items than I actually want or need.
Eventually re-selling (or trading) those items I do not want or need so that other collectors also can enjoy them, or perhaps follow my baby steps in that persons collecting process.

BTW: the members of this site also tend to trade with each other and buy from each other when possible.
Safer than E-Bay as we know the other party better than some unknown individual seller on E-Bay.
Another thing members of this site do is protect the other members of this community by reporting bad experiences on E-Bay and other places.

My biggest problem is keeping track of what I have.
I HATE making lists.

This is a true community, with true friends and members who want to be nice to each other (most times).
YES we have fights with each other on occasions and sometimes they get pretty danged nasty, but in the long run, we stand up for one another and stand together against outsiders who seek to disparage our friends, or this community.

Be careful... and have fun in your collecting… and gaming… BOTH!

One final note.
30+ Copies of the Rules Cyclopedia (or almost anything) goes right into the danger zone of obsession (IMO).
I think eighteen copies is the limit; anything above that and you are quite possibly a danger to yourself, your family, your friends and perhaps even the world at large.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:50 pm 

FormCritic wrote:Oh...and I suppose there's no Forbidden Zone either!  :x

There is - Its around 'Pine Gap' a US Satellite Surveillance Base in the North.  Australia is a military ally of the US and one of the few places in the world that still likes Americans

:P

PreviousNext