Reference book questions
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2004 6:52 am 

Ive been wondering if any of the reference books shipped sealed in cellophane/shrinkwrap.  I am pretty sure the books such as "complete book of dwarves" did not, but what about some of the dragonlance/forgotten realms ones like Giantcraft/Players guide to dragonlance/pirates of the fallen stars etc?

I cant seem to find any of those sealed even at regular book stores that have old stock.

Reason I ask is because I know a few are sealed like the horde and a couple others.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2004 8:57 am 

Good question. With 2nd Edition, a rule of the thumb would be: Hardcover rules books with a spine came without shrinkwrap, softcovers without a spine were shrinked. I also think, several of the softcover booklets with a spine were orignally shrinked, but I am not sure. (I can't look it up now, but I think the Dark Sun booklets like "Psionic Artifacts of Athas", "Thri-Kreen of Athas" etc. are such examples).

There might be exceptions to this rule. For example, the two Monstrous Compendium folders have a "spine", but they were originally wrapped in cellophane.

Also, I have seen one German PHB from 1st Edition that was in shrinkwrap.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:43 am 

Hi All,

I have some "complete books" in shrink.

Cheers,
malcolm

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:00 am 

Interesting. Could it be that there were regional differences? Maybe these are UK versions.

Malcolm, don't you want to open them and look it up?  :twisted:

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:09 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:Interesting. Could it be that there were regional differences? Maybe these are UK versions.

Malcolm, don't you want to open them and look it up?  :twisted:

Hmm, when I was playing the game in the late 1980's those complete books were not wrapped and commonly the stores would stamp the price tags right on the book cover.

Also Ralf, what do you mean softcover without a spine, can you give me an example?

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:01 am 

I never saw a "Complete Book" sealed here in the US in any store.  
As for spineless books being shrinked, I think Ralf means thin modules such as "Flint's Axe" were shrinked, along with Greyhawk sourcebooks such as "Iuz the Evil," but larger softcovers with spines such as "Giantcraft" were not shrinked.  This is an interesting thread...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:19 am 

Hi All,

well, judging by the stock list on our website, we obviously had s/w complete books of thieves, psionics, and rangers for sale at one time (no idea if we've still got them tho).

Cheers,
Malcolm

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:35 am 

dathon wrote:I never saw a "Complete Book" sealed here in the US in any store.  
As for spineless books being shrinked, I think Ralf means thin modules such as "Flint's Axe" were shrinked, along with Greyhawk sourcebooks such as "Iuz the Evil," but larger softcovers with spines such as "Giantcraft" were not shrinked.  This is an interesting thread...

Oh ok I think I understand...the ones without spines were stapled, the others pages were glued to the spine.  

That brings to mind the supermodules, like Lankhmar and Temple of Elemental Evil.  I have seena shrinked lankhmar for sale and also an unshrinked one by a store.  The store advertised it as new though.  It would make sense they would shrink it because of the map and accesories they came with though...

I also have two forgotten realms books that are sealed, lords of darkness and ruins of adventure.

This is why I am a bit confused as to which ones I should try to look for.

YIM