Shipping Fees
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:03 pm 

nn wrote:If you win an ebay auction, are you obligated to pay for shipping?

ie, if you win a measly 2$ item, and the seller tries to charge you an exorbitant shipping fee, can you just pay them the purchase price and tell them to ship it to their dustbin? Could they claim you were a non-paying bidder? Could you force a retraction of negative feedback?

Well, by the same token - I got some bad info from the post office and told a guy in Italy that the only way I could ship his item was for 18 bucks ... for a 5 buck book ... to which he replied, "sorry that's too much."  Luckily for me, I had been sending something else to Italy and the person was demanding 11 dollar air letter post - so I was able to offer that, and the person said "OK" ... but in that situation, even though the price I was charging was retarded high, it wasn't MY fault (I mean who chooses to live in a craptastic country like Italy ANYway) and I was about to get screwed out of the cash at the best, and negative feedbacked at the worst, from someone with a 2 rating.  Woops.  You can bet I won't bother shipping internationally to anyone with less than 100 rating from now on.

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:08 pm 

[quote="KingOfPain]
Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot that those 1st edition Traveller books were lead-lined. :wink:  Cmon Mike, you are a seller and I have looked at the stuff you sell and I dont recall any of your shipping costs being that high. Heck, you don't charge nearly that much for a boxed set and I know how you package those.

Just my opinion, but to me it is wrong. I dont mind a seller making a few dollars extra off of me but I'm not getting ripped off paying $13 for what is most likely going to be shipped media mail.[/quote]

No really King, I just weighed a bunch. they are heavy suckers!  

As a seller you are caught between the two camps of Charging Exact Shipping and Gouging on Shipping.  Most everyone falls somewhere in between to varying degrees.  I know a lot of people who charge exact shipping, more power to them, I've chosen not to go that route.  People that gouge on shipping, well I think it's reprehensible but they are only hurting themselves in the long run with repeat business.   The announcement came the other day that USPS will raise flat rate priority packages to $4.05 from $3.85....a 20 cents jump.  I'm sure my flat rate will also jump at least a quarter.  If that's too much for some people, I'm sure they'll shop somewhere else.  All consumers must be responsible for making informed decisions and learning to use the power of their pocket book when it comes to the marketplace and expenses such as shipping.  I've been guilty of overlooking shipping costs in my eagerness but learned from my mistakes (like the time I bid on about 10 items in Tonyas Ass Whap Shop and realized if I won them all my shipping would be close to $25).  

You know, there is also another maxim, that the CHEAPEST shipping is not always the BEST shipping.  You can sometimes save a buck in shipping prices but if the item gets there in a flat manilla envelope with no backing, you just screwed yourself.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:10 pm 

nn wrote:If you win an ebay auction, are you obligated to pay for shipping?

ie, if you win a measly 2$ item, and the seller tries to charge you an exorbitant shipping fee, can you just pay them the purchase price and tell them to ship it to their dustbin

I think that is an interesting point. What if you pay for the item and tell seller to keep it and not ship it. I don't think he can list you as a non-paying bidder, you did in fact pay for the item. What the seller does with it after the fact if you instruct him after you pay for it, really is up to you the buyer, No? :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:09 pm 

I recently had a nasty surprise at the post office and thought I'd share this post as a warning to other newbie sellers (particularly Canadian ones, but I'm sure other countries have weasel-esque post offices as well).

As far as I know, we don't have the notion of "Media Mail" here.

In my first round of selling, I auctioned a couple of "Complete Book of..." books, and the shipping total cost came to $4.45 CDN, including the bubble mailer.  Standard Lettermail.  No problem, I believe I charged $4.50 USD, maybe it was a little too high, but close.

In my second round, I dropped the shipping cost to $4.00 USD, as I try to be as fair as possible to my buyers, and didn't want to overcharge them this time around.  This time I sold a DMG hardcover and a TSR Dragon Archive.  When I went to post, they told me they were too wide to ship Lettermail and would have to go Parcel Post, and the shipping cost suddenly more than doubled. :(

Be forewarned.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:25 pm 

I agree with BadMike a full 50%.

On the postive side, I do not charge exact shipping and I do not gouge.  I have overcharged people in the past (on large lots and to places like  Italy and Greece that do not offer priority) because my scale is not an exact postal scale (the wife keeps on changing the settings as she tries to loose a few pounds for the pool this summer).  I will give a refund to people if I am at fault.  I only ask a small handling fee of one dollar or less.  This is for packing/printing materials...not time and labor.  Ebay allows one to charge "reasonable" handling fees and not "percentages of sale" for handling.  Any more than a buck over packing material...and you are gouging.

On the arguementative side, I do not believe that just because a handling price is listed in the auction, a buyer should pay.  The buyer is going on the assumption that he is paying for the correct s/h fees perhaps with a small stipend to cover other costs.  He is doing this in faith because this is what Ebay states in their regulations (course...not everyone reads all of these rules...even me  :oops: ..but the buyer is covered and the seller should be following the regs).  To me, if a seller lists extensive handling fees and is charged far beneath this fee by the post office, it is theft and FALSE ADVERTISEMENT.  The fees are listed as a part of the contract.  And it is supposedly a contract  :roll: .  

Hypothetically, if you signed a contract for a new job and say the fine print states that your life insurance will cost you $5 and that this is what it will cost the boss.  When you receive your check stubs, the boss is taking $5.  Later, you find out that the cost for insurance is only $1...what do you do?  

Hypothetical #2:  You sign a contract on a house.  In the costs, the appraisal charge is say $500 which you pay.  Later, you find in the messy paperwork that the appraisal fees to be charged were only $350.  What do you do?  

In both scenarios, I bet you contact someone to get sh$t straight.  You were acting in good faith on a contract.  You were mislead, either purposely or accidentally.  If the seller is misleading you, they are in the wrong.  If it was an accident, they should be notified to make ammends.  

I have had occasions like one listed above where the seller has multiple s/h fees listed.  That can be confusing if you only note one.  I have also ran through an auction, especially at snipe time, and not noted the s/h overcharge.  I will pay what the seller lists, but rest assured, if it is extensive and I note the discrepency when the package arrives with the tell-tale price sticker from the post, I will be sending you an email detailing my disdain and a link to the detailed description in the Ebay rules.  I expect a partial refund for shipping or I will leave negative feedback, report the seller to Ebay/Paypal, block the seller, and never buy from them again.  Most of the time, the seller sees the mistake and it seems an honest one, but there are others....

May Eru's light shine upon you always.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:30 pm 

As a seller I have been reading this thread with interest.
My take on it is that it is important (from everyones point of view) to state the fees as clearly as possible. It is then basically irrelevant whether anyone feels that they are being ripped off. Anyone with any sense will build the S&H into their bid so you know exactly where you are at the end of the auction. HOWEVER from a sellers point of view really high S&H will probably affect your sales in the medium/long term so a little common sense is required.
This whole side of e-bay is something that you will probably find that there is nothing that they will be able to do for you if you do feel that you have a reasonable complaint; this is mainly because of that catch all 'S&H'.
We can all work out how much something costs to send via the postal service, the issue lies in the 'handling' side of it. Who is to say how much your/my/Cougars time is worth, and wether or not you are justified in passing this cost on to the buyer. Eg. If I make $12 an hour (Just to make the math easy!!) , and I spend  5 minutes wrapping your parcel and 5 minutes standing in the post office then the charge already stands at $2! I know that many here will certainly spend much more time an effort wrapping a parcel and a few might even make more than $12 an hour so already the costs are skyrocketing!
I have also, on 2 occasions, impulse bid on items from the states and then been stunned by the shipping. But on both occasions I explained to the seller and offered payment/coverage of fees if they would agree not to go ahead and on both occasions this has been readily agreed by the seller - decent behaviour I'm sure your would agree -  both got and gave +ve feedback so there is a bit of a lesson to be learned there.
To sum up - Make sure things are clear at the outset and no one will be unhappy. In 'real life' as well as in e-bay it is important to behave in a reasonable and decent manner, if you do this then you will almost always get treated with the same courtesy (and the times you don't you can at least take the morale high ground)
Sorry to go on
Carl

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:47 am 

carl3369 wrote:We can all work out how much something costs to send via the postal service, the issue lies in the 'handling' side of it. Who is to say how much your/my/Cougars time is worth, and wether or not you are justified in passing this cost on to the buyer. Eg. If I make $12 an hour (Just to make the math easy!!) , and I spend 5 minutes wrapping your parcel and 5 minutes standing in the post office then the charge already stands at $2! I know that many here will certainly spend much more time an effort wrapping a parcel and a few might even make more than $12 an hour so already the costs are skyrocketing!

*g*. I knew I'd overlooked something in all this!
...So the deal is that the buyer pays the seller a fixed hourly rate in addition to a (hopefully) tidy profit on the goods? ;)

*wonders why everyone here hasn't given up their day jobs, in that case* :P
*jk*

=

Can I hire a cougar by the hour, then?? ^^

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:58 am 

We can all work out how much something costs to send via the postal service, the issue lies in the 'handling' side of it. Who is to say how much your/my/Cougars time is worth, and wether or not you are justified in passing this cost on to the buyer. Eg. If I make $12 an hour (Just to make the math easy!!) , and I spend 5 minutes wrapping your parcel and 5 minutes standing in the post office then the charge already stands at $2! I know that many here will certainly spend much more time an effort wrapping a parcel and a few might even make more than $12 an hour so already the costs are skyrocketing!

What's the address on THOSE packages?... 21 chump street.

How much do you charge your company to put your pants on in the morning and drive to work? :? What about the sellers that only take MO's....I have to DRIVE to the post office, STAND in line, PAY for a MO, then mail it off.........
Ebay.....utopia it is not, but then what is.

In my opinion, if you sell something on ebay, the whole aspect of taking it to the post office should already be factored in. Now if you want to charge more for packaging, I'm all for that.

As a seller and a buyer I know how many miniatures can fit in a $3.85 priority box, and I know how many modules, etc... can fit in the $5 box.....in both cases it's ALOT. A recent example: I purchase about 35 miniature blister packs from a guy in california, well he charged me $8 shipping and the cost on the box was 7 something. Great seller!! Then I see all the sellers charging a flat rate of $6 for a single blister 8O

Now we go back to the "don't bid" aspect of it. That is the best option. I've stopped filling up seller's cars long ago, but as a collector I think everyone can understand, when an item that you only see on ebay once a year or so pops up, you have to go for it no matter what the shipping fees.

To the 95% of ebay that make it great...my thanks. To the 5%, that want buyers to make their SUV payment...... :evil:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:00 am 

Ekim Toor wrote:How much do you charge your company to put your pants on in the morning and drive to work? :? What about the sellers that only take MO's....I have to DRIVE to the post office, STAND in line, PAY for a MO, then mail it off.........
Ebay.....utopia it is not, but then what is.

Let's see...wearing pants (ie. not working from home) factors in at about $25/hr when you consider the lost productivity...driving to work gets expensed at $0.35/km, plus $8.00 parking per day...plus on the road meal/coffee expenses...since you asked.  :)  

However, anybody that expects their eBay customers to carry that cost is a real a$$.

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:13 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Aneoth wrote:NOTE: (IMO) If you bid on a listing and the shipping cost is clearly noted, or the listing states that you should contact the seller about shipping costs before bidding, then you have no grounds to complain, regardless of how rediculous SH may be.

thats where i always fall down cos i never look - far too impulsive for my own good :?

I disagree. If shipping costs are not clearly listed, then the 'default' is that they are 'reasonable', ie. (cost of postage + small allowance for packing material)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:30 am 

Ekim Toor wrote:In my opinion, if you sell something on ebay, the whole aspect of taking it to the post office should already be factored in.

For routine shipping I agree. My general policy is to charge actual shipping (including delivery confirmation) plus a flat $1 handling fee per package shipped domestically (not per item won), or $2 for international.

However, if I get a special request to ship something by a relatively uncommon method (i.e. M-Bags), then I have to ratchet up the handling fee big-time. It's not to be a jerk, but because the small local post office branches in my area don't carry the bags or tags. That means I have to make a 40-mile round trip to the airport post office. If the customer wants me to do that, he's going to pay me for it.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:02 am 

I base my shipping on using  Priority Mail flat rate packaging so I can mail it from work.  In the event the item is too big, I will go to the PO to mail it.  Sometimes it's more, sometimes less, but seldom by more than a dollar or two.  It just balances out.
If I list shipping as $7.70 and it turns out to be $9.50, I eat the cost.  If it turns out to be 6.25, why shouldn't I keep the difference?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog, it is very dark.  (Groucho Marx)

Previous