Shipping Fees
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:25 am 

I was talking to a friend of mine tonight, and we got to talking about e-bay and the outrageousness of shipping fees lately.  She said to me, "Just yesterday I got a package in which I paid $9.50 for shipping, and the tag on the package said $3.60."
Now, is it just me, or doesn't this deserve a negative feedback?  It's not like you, as a seller, can't get costs from US mail's & UPS's website.  And I'm sure there wasn't $6.00 is packaging.  It's obviously a bump to cover e-bay and paypal fees, which they're not supposed to do.
Those fees are the cost of doing business on e-bay and paypal.  Those fees pay for the employees that keep things running and for ads on TV and such.  Plus, these companies need to make a profit.

So, in the end the question is, why not give negative feedback on these people so others can at least be aware they may get ripped off in shipping?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:36 am 

RichCsigs wrote:So, in the end the question is, why not give negative feedback on these people so others can at least be aware they may get ripped off in shipping?

One of the problems with the eBay feedback system is that you'll get hit with a retaliatory negative feedback even if you're justified.

As for the shipping issue, this is a touchy topic.  If the terms of shipping costs are explicitly stated in the auction then one shouldn't bid if it seems unreasonable.  If it's not stated and the fees are much higher than actual cost  then you get the problem you mentioned.   The seller will probably cite packaging, handling, gas, time, etc.  Some will say this is legitimate and others will say it isn't.   :?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 7:37 am 

If the shipping fees were clearly stated in the auction listing then a negative is not warranted.  If the seller says you will pay actual shipping or says that fees will be calculated at the end of the auction and then you get ripped off, ask for a refund.  If this is not granted leave a negative.

moron with money

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 8:12 am 

Those fees pay for the employees that keep things running and for ads on TV and such. Plus, these companies need to make a profit.

:lol: Now, that is certainly a different reason than I have ever heard before.  I don't think you need to worry about eBay paying their employees or making a profit - at the rate things are going, they may own a good chunk of the world in 10 years  :D

eBay won't hesitate to get more & more money whenever & wherever they can.  I don't see that there is anything wrong with taking advantage of "loopholes" in the system.

That being said, the overcharge on shipping is probably your friends fault - so negative feedback would be unwarranted.  

- If the seller stated clearly the price of shipping (or provided a rate calculator), than there is really no issue.  Yeah, they overchanged - but there was no obligation to bid on it.  If you don't like the charge, then don't bid!!!!!

- If the seller didn't state the shipping charge, then why bid on the item?  I never bid unless there is some indication of what shipping charges are.  Email the seller and ask first if necessary!

- If you did bid and the seller asks for too much, at least politely "disagree" in emails prior to sending payment.  Maybe the seller is new to eBay and really does have no idea of what shipping costs, or maybe they will lower it if you raise a stink.  If these options fail and you pay the outrageous rate to fulfill your end of the bargain, then negative feedback might be warranted.

- Keep in mind, there is nothing wrong with charging a little bit for handling (though others here might disagree).  I charge anywhere from $0.75 to $1.25 (it all depends at how the math rounds out to more even amounts).  My rates are expressly stated and everything is packed with extraordinary time and care to ensure safe delivery.   

Dathon wrote:
One of the problems with the eBay feedback system is that you'll get hit with a retaliatory negative feedback even if you're justified.

I hear this all the time on the forum.  Yes, this does happen, but only with unscrupulous sellers.  Honestly, I would estimate that over 90% of sellers will leave you a postive after payment before they receive any feedback themselves.  Thus, you are "safe" leaving a negative as they have already given you a postive which they can not change.  If you want to avoid this, then:

- Never buy from anyone with less than a 99% approval rating.  This is especially true with Power Sellers with high feedback ratings.  You can easily maintain over a 99% rating and have dozens and dozens of negs.  When buying from full-time eBay sellers, I would say that an approval rating of 99.6% or higher is necessary.

Remember, if someone has 10 negatives - then there are probably 30 other people who wanted to leave a negative. . . but didn't. . .

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:55 am 

Interesting feedback.  I will certainly pass this along.  Thanks guys.

And I did forget to mention that shipping costs were not posted before hand.

I've noticed some sellers have a "figure out how much shipping is" button, where you go and input your info and it tells you how much the shipping will be.  Does anyone how to include this in an e-bay listing?  I ask because I am planning to sell off some personal stuff (nothing D&D, sorry guys) and I would like to have that in.

Thanks,
Rich

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:28 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:Dathon wrote:

I hear this all the time on the forum.  Yes, this does happen, but only with unscrupulous sellers.  Honestly, I would estimate that over 90% of sellers will leave you a postive after payment before they receive any feedback themselves.  Thus, you are "safe" leaving a negative as they have already given you a postive which they can not change.  If you want to avoid this, then:

- Never buy from anyone with less than a 99% approval rating.  This is especially true with Power Sellers with high feedback ratings.  You can easily maintain over a 99% rating and have dozens and dozens of negs.  When buying from full-time eBay sellers, I would say that an approval rating of 99.6% or higher is necessary.

Remember, if someone has 10 negatives - then there are probably 30 other people who wanted to leave a negative. . . but didn't. . .

That's all good info for buyers.  

Sellers also have the problem of retaliatory feedback.  I recently had a buyer on an auction with an 8 feedback rating who never paid for the item.  After repeated e-mails and invoices I got one e-mail saying a check would be sent but none ever was.  I got back my final value credit fee from eBay but I'm leery of leaving a negative for this deadbeat bidder because I don't want one in return.  This is where the eBay feedback system really doesn't work.  Clearly my negative feedback is warranted since the buyer won't send payment evidently due to buyer remorse (the item only sold for $1.25 so I don't understand why), and the shipping charge was a flat rate stated in the auction description ($4.95 for 4 books).  This buyer still has a 100% positive rating with 8 feedback because I, and perhaps other sellers, won't leave a negative for fear of retaliation to our excellent rating.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:02 am 

Excellent points by beyondthebreach and dathon.

Dathon wrote
Sellers also have the problem of retaliatory feedback.

I, being until now exclusively a buyer, of course look at the seller's feedback score, and prefer a very high one for powersellers.
But I believe it is worth the effort, when the feedback score is below say 99-99.4%, to read the actual negative feedbacks of both seller and buyer. Most of the time it is pretty obvious when a negative feedback is retaliatory, and often negative feedback comes (seemingly) unwarranted from newer eBayers.

Unfortunately, from the seller's point of view, you are still stuck with the negative feedback for eternity while the (con)text of the negative feedback will be buried deep into the feedback history.

But although the feedback system has its flaws, I think it still is an invaluable tool, also and especially to see comments on shipping speed, packaging quality etc.

In the case mentioned by dathon above, you could still consider leaving a negative feedback, if only to warn other sellers for this buyer. But I understand it if you don't, out of fear for retaliatory feedback.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 8:13 pm 

Check out the shipping on this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

My zip gave a quote of $25 via UPS or $40 via USPS...

What was there something special in the auction? Burnie put in a reasonable bid? The only item I'm not familiar with is the Dungeon Tiles.

Care to elaborate Burnie?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:46 pm 

jagd wrote:Check out the shipping on this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

My zip gave a quote of $25 via UPS or $40 via USPS...

What was there something special in the auction? Burnie put in a reasonable bid? The only item I'm not familiar with is the Dungeon Tiles.

Care to elaborate Burnie?

Lovetoclose just buys lots and resells them.  He started buying just about when I started buying and he had zero feedback at that time (while I had like 120 uniques-now hes got more than me), so he could have other names.

Anyhow the Dungeon Tiles (an accessory for using miniatures and fairly heavy) I believe retailed for around $60+, the grenadier dungeon explorer miniatures (assuming theyre unused) can sell for $30 easy plus the pastels always have a shot at reaching $10 a piece.  If everything is  complete he got a pretty sweet deal for himself, if not he will have trouble breaking even.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2004 1:14 am 

The Dungeon Tiles are cardboard and usually go for about $3. I have 3 sets.
He either has a buyer or is counting on newbays to save his ass.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:48 am 

I think the latter. Lovetoclose did well on some auctions - White boxed sets and Pastels. David van Wie I believe bought one boxed set for a few hundred and i remember Lovetoclose offloaded a set of 3 pastels (D1, D2, D3 i think) for about $70-$90.

Ever since the he has been buying up Boxed sets and Pastels.

I was surprised the auction went that high. I was looking at it as a few hours before it was $19.50. I emailed the seller about the shipping and got some bullshit auto-reply about reading his FAQ. Next auction please.
Seems to me the seller sells for other people and charges sky high shipping so he doesn't pay his client much (opps it didn't sell for much..)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:34 am 

jagd wrote:I think the latter. Lovetoclose did well on some auctions - White boxed sets and Pastels. David van Wie I believe bought one boxed set for a few hundred and i remember Lovetoclose offloaded a set of 3 pastels (D1, D2, D3 i think) for about $70-$90.

Ever since the he has been buying up Boxed sets and Pastels.

I was surprised the auction went that high. I was looking at it as a few hours before it was $19.50. I emailed the seller about the shipping and got some bullshit auto-reply about reading his FAQ. Next auction please.
Seems to me the seller sells for other people and charges sky high shipping so he doesn't pay his client much (opps it didn't sell for much..)

Ok then I dont know anything about the tiles if theyre cardboard and have no idea why i am  thinking they were metal-ish.

Ya close goes after newbays, everything rare and mint (except for the missing item in the miniature box etc etc).  Well it works he gets them.

As far as the shipping, it makes sense.  An ebay drop off store opened up in my general area and I wondered how it would make any money.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:36 am 

jagd wrote:

what sort of fees? I see an auto calculator here... are they able to put in presets for that?

heres a seller that in my oponion charges a bit too much postage, Let me say that I hove bought off him before, the first time I didn't read the postage costs, emailed him to get a combined shipping and had a heart attack...Descriptions are nonexistant but items are in condition stated.. basically 4 pounds per item (he's in the UK) with no discount for multiple shipping... he's very up front about fees but if you buy a couple of items off him without reading postage costs you'll have to sell a kidney.. as his feedback can testify to...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 3194099529

Brette:)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2004 2:03 am 

beasterbrook wrote:he's very up front about fees but if you buy a couple of items off him without reading postage costs you'll have to sell a kidney..

hahaha ... Everything you say about him is true. The good thing is, most bidders calculate the horrendous shipping fee into their bidding amounts. This way it is sometimes still possible to strike a bargain without overpaying, but I don't understand caliverbooks' tactic at all (from a sellers point of view).

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:46 am 

Hi All,

Calliver are a shop, about 10 miles from where I live.

They used to be really good for rpgs, tho rather pricey, but have gone downhill in the last few years.

I think they probably have "games shop drone 4" or similar putting tha auctions on, and they arent very enthused by it. Most ppl who work in rpg shops are OK, if geeky, but they seem to have gone out of their way to hire rude staff (and those with particulary bad personal hygiene problems).

I bought something from them about 10 months ago. £4.00 (approx $6) postage and it came 2nd class in an ordinary envelope - total about 50p (approx 75 cents), I would guess.

Its funny, they never have anything in the shop worth looking at, so I dont know where most of their 2nd-hand stuff is stored.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:24 am 

beasterbrook wrote: I see an auto calculator here... are they able to put in presets for that?

Well the auto-calculator gave me a quote of $40 for USPS Priority so I figured either
a) The books were shipped in a depeleted uranium box for protection
or
b) I live on Mars (Oklahoma is a lot like Mars but its cheaper to ship to)

Cavalier books are the worst. I bought a "mint" B11 and B12 from them and they shipped it to the wrong address. Also their dictionary much have a different definition of Mint than mine

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:56 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hi All,
Its funny, they never have anything in the shop worth looking at, so I dont know where most of their 2nd-hand stuff is stored.

I'd bet is in the warehouse. Most shops (as mine) are not very keen in occupying shelf space for products not interesting for the average customer, so they stock it in the back room. An exception is made for special products commanding high price from special customers - ie collectors. I have two shelves with D&D 3.X, AD&D and Classic D&D products for example. Granted, the D&D 3.X books sell much more and much more quickly than the rest. But Classic D&D and AD&D still have a following, so they stay in the 'public' area of the store. More, having some collector products in the store gives a nice image to the store itself, strongly separating it from other stores selling just 'in print' books. I have an entire miniature showcase with 90% of the models present no more available: miniatures from Citadel, Thunderbolt, Grenadier and so on. They have a real impact on customers and add strongly to my store's image. The only problem  :D  is refusing offers for some models (Citadel's Fellowship of the Ring from 1985 is really popular these days!)  :mrgreen:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 19, 2004 8:55 pm 

lawrenson wrote:Hi All,

Calliver are a shop, about 10 miles from where I live.

They used to be really good for rpgs, tho rather pricey, but have gone downhill in the last few years.

I think they probably have "games shop drone 4" or similar putting tha auctions on, and they arent very enthused by it. Most ppl who work in rpg shops are OK, if geeky, but they seem to have gone out of their way to hire rude staff (and those with particulary bad personal hygiene problems).

I bought something from them about 10 months ago. £4.00 (approx $6) postage and it came 2nd class in an ordinary envelope - total about 50p (approx 75 cents), I would guess.

Cheers,
Malcolm

Dam malcolm, can I pay you the 10 odd pounds to go and get my stuff! and mail it to me? Just bought stuff of them! I wonder if they will still try and charge shipping?? They must have of similar stuff in storage as they are selling the same stuff again and again, sometime you will come across sellers like this, and if you are patient enough you know that they will relist the same thing againa and again, so just bid the min until you win;)

Brette:)

Next