Reflections of a low level RPG collector
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:37 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:..... The wife is in Dallas teaching a new generation of mini enthusiats how to paint at ReaperCon.

If I was not so clueless, I would be sitting right next to those little guys learning as well..
Denton is a 40 minute drive from my house.

I did not even know there were classes being offered at Reaper Con until last week.
Too late to get there for me, as plans were already set in motion by that time which exluded me from being able to leave this the house weekend.
And Those plans ended up not coming through, Hence this thread.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Sat May 16, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:38 pm 

I don't have either of these items.  You are not a low level collector but a midto high level collector with a few artifacts :)

Sometimes I get the blues about the whole collecting thing as well, I have always collected things since I was a wee lad.  First it was pennies (hey I was 9 nine years old :) ), then war games (avalon hill, SPI etc), then comics and finally RPG's and miniatures.

We (me and the wife) went through some hard times in about 1998 and I was forced to sell of the bulk of my wargames :( .  I got real good cash at the time for them; probably around $15-20k.  It was a godsend at the time but regret sunk in some time later.  I will never have that collection again, it takes up way to much room and I really need a friend to play them with (my last wargame buddy moved 1400km away).  I kept most of the Advanced Squad Leader stuff and a few copies of Panzer Blitz and such but the rest is gone.  I still check on War in the Pacific or The Longest Day(possibly the longest game :lol: )on Ebay to see if they are still valuable and sought after(they are still quite valuable).  Once a year or so my wargame buddy comes down from up North and we have an Advanced Squad Leader game still. :)

My relationship with RPG's and particluar D&D is quite strong.  I play in two groups regularily :) , my collecting hobby has turned into quite an investment with many items raising in value while my savings and stocks have plummeted :? .  A few freinds I have that think I am nuts for this massive collection I have accumilated; others think its great and have started there own collections :)  while others still just do not care.  My collection has grown to over 10 bookshelves now with still about 25 magazine boxes left to put on display :?   I may have to purge a few items, in fact all my duplicates will be sold off soon.

Miniatures have been a passion for about 20 years now. Warhammer, Silent Death, Chronpia, Ral Partha, Grenadier etc have all invaded my basement and are getting out of control.  I have decided to crop my mini collection of minis significantly over the next year or so.  I am going to keep only licensed D&D stuff, painted stuff and my favorite armies from Games Workshop.  literally thousands of minis will be exiting my house and finding more caring living quarters :lol:

Yes I am bored as well. The kids are driving me nuts. The wife is in Dallas teaching a new generation of mini enthusiats how to paint at ReaperCon.

Wargames and Miniatures. Near and dear to my heart. You probably did as well or better selling in 98 as you would now (unless the wargame market has changed in the last couple of months). I was appalled at how much my ASL collection went for and pleased and sorry to see it go at the same time.

I have always loved miniatures but cant paint worth a damn. The one item that I have that is worth some bucks and takes up a gawdawful amount of space is a reproduction of the tower from the movie Warlord (Charlton Heston). This thing is absolutely amazing and Ive used it about a dozen times as the black tower that guards the Vault of the Drow. I should sell it. Ive never seen it on ebay or any of the ones from the line of miniatures it came from (like the Beau Gest fort, or the viking longship) but they went for a couple of hundred books years ago. I just hang onto it though waiting to use it in a game once again.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:48 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:The wife is in Dallas teaching a new generation of mini enthusiats how to paint at ReaperCon.

Now that sounds like fun. I haven't painted minis for 20 years. I'd love to do that.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:05 pm 

One of the grandkids recently asked me what the Brown Box in the glass case was for (My second Print Woodie).

I told him it was a very old and rare game.

GS: Can we play with it?     8O   8O    (He is five)

ME: Umnn... no, but I have a newer version of that game and we can play with that anytime you want.
We can even play with those miniatures you like so much at the same time too.

GS: So, why do you have it then? What good is it if we cant play with it. :?  :oops:  

ME: I tell ya what. Lets go find a video game to play for now........  :? :oops:  

GS: Okay........  8)

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Last edited by Gnat the Beggar on Sat May 16, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:08 pm 

. wrote:Now that sounds like fun. I haven't painted minis for 20 years. I'd love to do that.

Well come over to Calgary and she will give you a lesson :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:15 pm 

ashmire13 wrote:this is one of the most interesting and personal threads I have read in a long time, thanks John.
Regarding collections and pdfs, I had a miniscule collection and sold most of it (Ravenloft, F.Realms,  W of Greyhawk boxes et al) last year, but I could not part with my original AD&D DMG (DM opening doors) PHB, MM & MM2, FF, DSG & WSG. Worth not much I know but priceless to me from my early80s playing days.
The Imagines may go one day but not the GMPubs!
Pdfs cover almost everything else which is fine for me

Thanks, I am glad that some like the idea of this thread.
PDFs are great for being able to have litteral library's worth of data and the PDFs do indeed take up a lot less room.
But there is nothing like the feel of a good book in your hands.

As you said, some of your old books wont leave your collection and I feel the same about some of mine.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:22 pm 

Nat the Beggar wrote:One of the grandkids recently asked me what the Brown Box in the glass case was for (My second Print Woodie).

I told him it was a very old and rare game.

GS: Can we play with it?     8O   8O    (He is five)

Give him some crayons and let him colour in the pictures.  :D

Blackmoor wrote:Well come over to Calgary and she will give you a lesson :D

Love to. Haven't been on holiday for two years.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:00 pm 

Nat the Beggar wrote:One was almost nothing but D20-DCC PDFs.
And another was just ONE book from DCC 35, and I cannot even open that one (RAR file..... dont have anything that will open it).

Don't know what system you are using, but on my Mac running 10.3.9, StuffIt Expander works just fine on about 95+% of RAR files I come across.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:41 pm 

. wrote: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Have you thought about keeping scans of all your collection and just getting rid of it all. After all, it's just the image of the book and the information within that we really use. We can get that nostalgic tactile feel from a good set of hardback manuals and some nice cheap original modules. All the rest is just superfuous eye candy, and you can do it all with PDFs.

I think I have scans of just about every item I have ever sold at auciton. At least over the past 4-6 years. Must be in the neighborhood of 1,500 or so. Every once in a while I flip through them. I can't believe some of the stuff I let go...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 7:25 pm 

Gnat, you can open a RAR file with WinRAR.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:15 pm 

Whale Tagger wrote:Gnat, you can open a RAR file with WinRAR.

Temporarily moving this thread to a side track . . .

RAR files are like ZIP files.  ZIP files have been compressed using a ZIP program, and RAR files have been compressed by a program that uses the RAR algorithm.  RAR became popular a couple of years ago, maybe more.

Various free de-compression programs are available.  Only the trial version of WinRAR is free, so that's not really free.  Try 7-Zip instead:

. . . http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-225 ... 45185.html

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 8:50 pm 

And somewhat back on track . . .

I have scaled back my various collections over the years.  In the past 25 years I sold my records, paperbacks, and comics for beer, cigarette, and gas money.  I once got a goodly amount of CDs stolen.  I sold most of my RPGs in 2006, and I continued to sell them until last month because of financial woes.

I have manged to pare my so-called collection down to a managable three bookshelves of RPGs, a short bookshelf of RPG magazines (mostly worthless Dragons), and a small amount of dice.

I have a few RPG items on my "want" list, but I am more content with my so-called collection that I have ever been.  I feel more comfortable with myself and my belongings now than I have since I was a child.  Divorcing, changing jobs, moving . . . I'm just rolling with it, and it feels fine.

That said, I took a short road trip today to plunder gamestores and managed to control my spending.  If you knew what my old RPG collection looked like, then you would be amazed at what I did not purchase.  :)  I found some stuff to resell, some stuff to keep. Or maybe I'll sell it all.  Finding stuff is the fun part.

I'd rather be gaming or doing something else besides sitting in front of a PC, but I'm content to do that for tonight.  Tomorrow, I need to do laundry, unpack, buy a TV, etc., etc.  But that's tomorrow.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:25 pm 

well since the WALL was referenced several times in this thread, and as i am the owner of a WALL of frp, i thought i should chime in.....for over 20 years i was carrying around with me dozens (which eventually became about 250) legal boxes of frp. i had always hoped that one day they would have a (semi) permanent home. when my wife & me saw a house with a blank 30 foot wall (that was also 10' high) we bought thought "built-in bookshelves!". well we bought the house, had the shelves built, & it took me a year to sort & arrange it all. so, has it all been worth it? absolutely! i've enjoyed the hunting, the haggling, the early days when i'd go to gencon with $50 & it represented all the money to my name. since my goal became to get one of every frp item (i eventually put a cutoff date of 2003) i viewed it as a museum, & i've kind of felt like bruce dern in silent running (what with the rise of the internet and pdf's): one day, many years from now, i want there to be some paper remnants of this strange D&D thing. contrary to deadlord's commentary that "there is always another one" i have found that there are a number of things in my collection that are unique, and well you can imagine why i wanted them. for many years i thought my collection was near-unique. i had been the big buyer of rare frp items at gencon. then my wife suggested ebay & i eventually stumbled on to the acaeum, where collectors of every size & shape reside and the scholarship is deep. it's comforting to know that there are more loonies like me out there ( & has certainly reenergized my desire to complete my want list). thanks for the things i've learned, & for the bidding battles lost & won. my collection is better for having known you, and part of my thanks back was to "finally" send pictures in of the WALL, knowing that having the pictures posted in cyberspace would necessitate a dramatically increased security outlay. i has always expected to fly under the radar....

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:18 am 

I did not mention names when I stated my awe of the WALL, and the other fine collections I have seen here as I did not want to put anyone on the spot.

Flying under the radar is a good thing....

Your collection is indeed one to be very much appreciated by those who know what is really is that you have there.
And and for its completeness and you should be and are admired for the way you Obviously seek to preserve it as much as possible.
Bravo!

Thank you for offering the history of the WALL.......  8)
And we should all thank your wife too, she sounds like a great one.  :)

Previous