My conversation with DSL III......
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:07 am 

seeyouinescrow wrote:You know Jon....if I do get this...I was going to put it out there that any Bay area, or North-Cals who are around and don't mind making the trek to Folsom...I would welcome you into my home, and be more than happy to share this with anyone who wouldn't mind stopping by....so really...you're not too far off, either way!

You know I have a sister that lives in Oakland.  Next time I come out to visit I may try to stop by... your home could become a new kind of D&D Graceland.   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 10:18 am 

You guys are forgetting something. This is only ONE of the things DSL is selling.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:32 pm 

Huzzah!  I'm in San Jose... I'll bet Grodog and I could find a way to make a Pilgrimage to have our dice blessed in front of the DMG painting! :D

Keep me in the loop!  It'd be great to see it.

-------------------------------------------------

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 7:59 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:You guys are forgetting something. This is only ONE of the things DSL is selling.

But the DMG cover is the one I would really, really want.  
"A Paladin in Hell" is cool, but I've never been much for paladins as a player and I prefer the color paintings.  
I imagine the DMG would go for over $10,000 if put on eBay, if not significantly more.  I remember Aaron had the Deities and Demigods original cover art for sale a couple years back and he sold it to a musician from some famous alternative rock band.  I forgot which one, but needless this guy has some deep pockets.  Two guys like that and the price could reach some pretty high levels.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:08 pm 

The cover to DMG is one of the two most recognizeable pictures from the D&D era.  It is iconic.  It's value is almost impossible to predict.  If a baseball can go for 4 million, there is no telling what that picture could sell for.  If DSL has any brains at all he'll contact Sotheby's and see how much the icon he created is really worth.  If he's dying and doesn't care then good for him but he's being foolish by not finding out what the market for this thing is.  If it went up for auction at a Sotheby's auction I could see it selling for over $100,000.

moron with money

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 8:25 pm 

Very hard to say. I was saying that if it was eBayed it would be $10,000. Sotheby's would obviously increase the value hugely, since the clientele there shit euros. The thing is, though it is very valuable to an RPG collector, our niche is very small, and apart from Burnie and grodog we are generally not very willing to part with the $$. An easy way to get a quick estimate is to ask the forum. How much would each of you pay for it, personally? My opinion doesn't count because I'm not really into art, and if I bought it I would just trade or sell it.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:34 pm 

Art is not really my bag, either. It would be cool to own and put up in the Man Cave - my wife would never let me put it anywhere else, anyway.

When it comes to price...I don't know. I wouldn't pay more than $2,000 for it; and since my "hobby fund" is not anywhere near that amount, timing would have to better than now. It is certainly worth more, but not to me.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:20 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Very hard to say. I was saying that if it was eBayed it would be $10,000. Sotheby's would obviously increase the value hugely, since the clientele there shit euros. The thing is, though it is very valuable to an RPG collector, our niche is very small, and apart from Burnie and grodog we are generally not very willing to part with the $$.

That's funny Frank---me and burnie in the same league ;-P :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:28 pm 

JonOakes wrote:Huzzah!  I'm in San Jose... I'll bet Grodog and I could find a way to make a Pilgrimage to have our dice blessed in front of the DMG painting! :D

Keep me in the loop!  It'd be great to see it.

Yep, I'm definitely game, as you know Jon :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 07, 2004 10:56 pm 

Man... I'm just sitting here envious of bbarsh's Man Cave...

Yeah.. My mom always said I'd end up in Folsom... I'm just glad I'll be going there of my own free will!

(For those who don't know, Folsom is home to a big State Prison in CA)

-------------------------------------------------

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:17 am 

Long time lurker and collector in this forum, but will "de-cloak" and add to the conversation.

I have known Gary for about 4 years, and depending upon who you talk to he is either viewed as a great person or an evil bastard. Take your pick. Not one of us is perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I can tell you that in all my years of knowing him, and his son Luke, that he is a great guy and he cares about his family deeply. He is an amazing person who is very approachable and always seems to have time to give to others. I've seen him have his life interupted as fans come up to him and he is so gracious enough that he alters his plans so he can spend time with them. He has always been a good friend to me, and his work has impacted us all deeply- that's why we are all here after all.

Your mileage may vary, but that has been my experience with him and his family.
Dale Leonard

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2004 11:07 pm 

For what its worth, I have "known" Gygax for many years via my numerous post on his old website that was sadly shut down a short time ago. He always responded to my posts with great warmth and punctuality. In spite of all the stories I hear about Gygax being reluctant to discuss his TSR days, he had always been forthcoming and generous when I harrassed him about details concering the monumental works he penned for the OAD&D and OD&D systems. Even though I have never met the man in person, I am sure that if I did it would be a most pleasant experience. And as for Gygax not caring for the kind of high fantasy championed by Tolkien, more power to him. Personally, I have always found Tolkien's work to by unpalatable. In my opinion, OAD&D/OD&D has always had more a pulp than a high fantasy feel to it. In other words, the design of OAD&D/OD&D was primarily influenced by the work of the great pulp writers of the 1920s: H.P. Lovecraft, R.E. Howard, Abraham Merritt, and Edgar Rice Burroughs, to name but a few. I think Gygax's inclusion of hobbits and such from Tolkien's stories in the OD&D rules was mostly a marketing ploy to cash in on the Tolkien resurgence of the 1960s and 1970s. In other words, it simply made economic sense for Gygax to incorporate the Tolkien elements into the game. If I were in his shoes, I would have done the same from a purely business standpoint.

"Curses to those responsible for wrapping blackness in everlasting chains."

--WG4 Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun

Previous