About the first D&D French edition
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:04 am 

I received last week a copy of the first (I suppose) French edition of D&D. The TSR logo on the box and the inside manual is the angled one and the translation is of course based on the 1981 Basic Set. What is interesting is noticing that the interior artwork is not from the 1981 edition nor a 'preview' of the 1983 US edition. Let me explain better: some images seems having 'lifted' from Dragon Magazine, others from books I have never seen (AD&D?). There is an image, the one showing the various shaped of dragon's breath, which will be used in the 1983 edition. More, do you remember the image of the magician girl with a wand in her hand, in the Spells section of the 1983 Player's Handbook? Well, this French edition shows the ENTIRE artwork of this, with a couple of guys squabbling about some items on the table and the kind, beautiful girl stealing the wand  8O . It seems this French edition is an hybrid, considering thwe fact the box shows the new graphics but the 'old' drawing and that the box's back is black and white with no images. I'm not in foreign editions collecting, but I'll keep this one for the originality and for the fact it's the very first language D&D was translated  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:52 am 

Sounds cool!  Any chance you could post a scan of some of the original/expanded artwork for the rest of us American schmucks who never run into foreign translations?

Nice find!

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------