Licensing
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:52 pm 

Nother thing I'm curious about is the Hackmaster products.  Does anyone know what the story is with those?  Are the minor differences really considered meaningful enough for them to escape legal action? Did Wizards grant them the right to do those? (I know K&K has a business tie to WotC via Kalamar, but I'm thinking that came after Hackmaster)

In a similar vein, I'm also curious if anyone know how the d20/OGL relates to earler editions of AD&D/D&D.  Can indie publishers make d20-type material using earlier rules versions if they follow the OGL agreement? Or are older rule sets totally verboten? Or completely open?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:40 pm 

As far as I know, OGL has to be based off of 3e/3.5.  Check out EN World RPG News & Reviews - Morrus' Daily News Blog, its mostly a d20 news site, but there are quite a few articles there.
As for Hackmaster, I think it falls under the parody laws (since its obviously a parody).  Therefor it doesn't have to be liscensed.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:09 pm 

mordrin wrote:Nother thing I'm curious about is the Hackmaster products.  Does anyone know what the story is with those?  Are the minor differences really considered meaningful enough for them to escape legal action? Did Wizards grant them the right to do those? (I know K&K has a business tie to WotC via Kalamar, but I'm thinking that came after Hackmaster)

In a similar vein, I'm also curious if anyone know how the d20/OGL relates to earler editions of AD&D/D&D.  Can indie publishers make d20-type material using earlier rules versions if they follow the OGL agreement? Or are older rule sets totally verboten? Or completely open?

I had some of the HackMaster stuff.  WoTC granted them a license to develope the game using D&D as the basis.