What are you looking for?
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:46 pm 

Just thought it would be cool to see what would WOW some of you if you suddenly saw it up for trade/sale.

Although I do buy some of the paper stuff, my heart is into the art, so any original piece that would be considered a find would be cool to me.  If I could make Tsrart go wow, my day would be complete  :wink: .

Your turn-------------------------

Hal Greenberg

Todd Lockwood art for sale on ebay at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Todd-Lockwood-Art

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:59 pm 

How about the original art for the orange B3 deleted scenes?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:23 pm 

As for published stuff, it's been a long time since an ST1 went up for auction...  :wink:

As for unique items, Gary's original, hand-written Greyhawk campaign notebooks... ditto for Rob Kuntz's.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:17 am 

dathon wrote:As for unique items, Gary's original, hand-written Greyhawk campaign notebooks... ditto for Rob Kuntz's.

Check out RJK's boards at http://pub175.ezboard.com/bpiedpiperpublishing for his CD publishing project, which will include original materials from his Kalibruhn and Greyhawk campaigns :D

I'm still seeking "Treasures of the Dragon Queen," an old con tourney I played c. 1983.  Details at Greyhawk's Tournament History: Treasure of the Dragon Queen

I'd also like to find my original correspondence with Rob from c. 1987-1988, which is, alas, likely in a NJ landfill somewhere....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:11 am 

Some of Ed Greenwoods Forgotten Realms notes.  I hear there are probably HUNDREDS of boxes he has though...  he says whoever owns D&D should be able to release new Forgotten Realms stuff long beyond his death if they use his notes alone.  
I'd also like to finish up my Adventurers Guild collection (need about 2 dozen more, I have more than enough to finish it up with 1 for 1 trades if I can find some people to trade with me).  Especially "Crown of Salt" and "Amongst Fungus" because they are Forgotten Realms.I'd also like to try and get EVERY RPGA module released, pdf and otherwise (a boy can dream, can't he?).  Also want to get all the RPGA player rewards cards.
And sure, wouldn't mind it if I got a copy of ST1 (one of these days I'll splurge just to say I have it).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:43 pm 

OK . . . . for me it would, of course, be TSR-related art . . . .

The things that would make ME go "Wow!" followed by a whole lot of money-raising sounds would be the Boris or Hildebrandt Dragon magazine covers from the 80s . . . .

Go to it, Hal . . . . :wink:

"Life is short, art is forever, and the credit card bills to buy the art last just slightly longer."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:29 am 

One of my aunts knew the brothers Hildebrandt, from back in the days when they were in/around Bernardsville, NJ.  Nice folks, from what she always told me.  I never got an autograph, alas....

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:21 am 

I think most of the published has been available at one time or another. So, I'm not gonna strain my paltry brain following that road.

However, I would love to see some "insider stuff" like TSR business plans for a certain year, modules that were never finished/released (and not the ones that we have heard about - G4, E1 etc). I think it would be very cool to see what TSR was planning but canceled or never completed in the 1980s.

Next, probably like many of you, I discarded tons of dungeons, characters, etc that I created in the early years - when my group played 4-5 times a week. Unfortunately, I only have a few things left from those days; it would be cool for me (no one else cares, I know) to read that stuff - introspectively. I'm talking 25 years ago... 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:12 pm 

bbarsh wrote:However, I would love to see some "insider stuff" like TSR business plans for a certain year, modules that were never finished/released (and not the ones that we have heard about - G4, E1 etc). I think it would be very cool to see what TSR was planning but canceled or never completed in the 1980s.

G4?  E1?  Why is this the first that I've heard of these modules??  (Or, were you just pulling letters and numbers out of the air bbarsh?).  

Next, probably like many of you, I discarded tons of dungeons, characters, etc that I created in the early years - when my group played 4-5 times a week. Unfortunately, I only have a few things left from those days; it would be cool for me (no one else cares, I know) to read that stuff - introspectively. I'm talking 25 years ago... 8O

Heh.  I hear you there:  I've got some of my old stuff, and it's a lot of fun seeing our notes from my brother running Bozomus the Monk from B1 ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:20 pm 

Yeah, I was just pulling letter/number combos. I wasn't very clear on that point...

I'm sure they had stuff in the hopper at some point, but it never materialized. A fifth installment for the slavers, for example, or even a whole follow up series A5-8...would have been very cool.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 8:44 pm 

True first print of Players Handbook with white flyleaf

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:39 pm 

TSR embroidered toilet paper. Then again, most of the WoTC products qualify.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:24 pm 

Howdy,

myalbinogorilla wrote:True first print of Players Handbook with white flyleaf

I still think this is ridiculous and irresponsible to call this a TRUE 1st print. It's a wild ass guess. It should be: 1st print - some covers gold flyleaf, a few white have been seen, and possibly a red. We are assigning a collectable value to something that has no merit. I think that is irresponsible. Shouldn't we just admit to not knowing? The same goes for several other items: PotVQ  and the UK version of the D&D basic handbook come to mind. Really, what is the harm of just saying we don't know?

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:11 pm 

Good point, Paul. There is no solid foundation for calling these "true first" printings and assigning such high values to them. This is hysteria - desperately looking for something, which is probably not there. It would be different, if there was solid evidence and (more importantly) confirmed number of copies from those "true" first print runs.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:29 pm 

But, and here is the rub of it, we all know that if a white flyleaf came up, certain people would bid insane amounts on it. So it DOES have high collectible value. Personally I could give a shit if the flyleaf is plaid, but the completists do.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:03 pm 

I could care less about the flyleafs...  now the Deities and Demigods book with Cthulu and Elric are actually interesting.  Different art... different content or heck.. just to be a 'first print' is good.

I think I have one white and one yellow PHB and they are both valuable to me.

In fact, my most treasured possession is the colored in (yeah, I colored it in) Deities and demigods book with Cthulu... Hey.. I was like 12.. didn't ever occur to me there'd be a colectible market and the pictures looked AWESOME colored in.  I'll never sell it.

But anyway.. Yeah... first print is first print... Flyleafs don't matter.

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:30 pm 

My take on collecting has always been this:
I will never own one of everything.
If I can't own at least one of everything, I will never have a "complete" collection.
There is no reason to own an item unless it can be used or will increase in value. If the latter, sell it when possible.
I would rather pay $2 for a 1st print PHB than $2000 for a PHB that Gary Gygax urinated on during a drunken game.
Different printings are useless unless they contain more changes than just the printing number.

Without these rules, I'd be broke and/or psychotic. As it is, I own a huge collection of diverse items, almost all of which have some practical value (all right, Jade Hare sucks, but wtf.). So..... My dream item would be a compilation of every spell and magic item ever written down for any D&D compatible RPG. It would probably be the size of a large dog, but it would fit nicely beside the server rack in my den, and I could USE it. I'm not panning other collectors preferences. As a matter of fact, I don't really consider myself a collector. I am a player.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:38 am 

So essentially you want an updated Wizard's/Priest's Spell Compendium and Encyclopedia Magica?

Next