New record
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:17 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3183893547

Um, holy fucking shit comes to mind. I wouldn't pay that for 2 mint tourney mods! I mean, I know it's a 1st print and all, but wow! Paul, tax returns come in or something?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:27 pm 

I didn't realize it was a first print.  How can one tell from those pics, besides e-mailing the seller for more information?  
Congrats to Paul, it looks to be in fantastic shape.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:07 am 

The seller gave the info. Still, $2,200?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:07 am 

Wow.. That is amazing... Paul You Da man!

The more amazing thing is Burnie wasn't even in the game!  What happened there Mr. B!?

And newcomer Tclayton needs a little 'respect' for getting into the four digit bidding range.

Who was rjdickerson and why did he show up in the last 5 secons and cost my man stormber almost 700 bucks with his weak-ass snipe?  I mean, if you're going to snipe like that, you better WIN. :)

Too bad Ebay doesn't have a 'spectator mode' so we could all watch these things unfold as they happen.

Still.. 2800 bucks... woof... That's like a house payment!

-------------------------------------------------

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:47 am 

Congats Paul. :)

We really wanted it but we weren't sure on the printing. The seller emailed us and stated that it was first, but he only said the Vol.1 & Vol.2 books didn't state any printing. He never gave info on  Vol.3. Also all three books appear to be slightly different shades. The errata sheets also have this trait. Basically we thought it was some kind of Frankenstein set. Besides, if it is going to cost over $2000 we will just have to be satisfied with our 2nd print.

We picked up a wood grain a little bit after the end of this auction for $31. A first printing of Tractics.  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:11 am 

I got the same kind of response. No matter, though. I had a limit of around $1,500 in mind -- wow, was I out of the loop!  Let's not hammer the guy who sniped (albeit low). I was planning the same sort of bid - just not clear enough email on description for scaredy-cat me. I get a little nervous when we are talking these kind of dollars.

Great auction :D

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:09 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:The seller gave the info. Still, $2,200?

I know he said 1974 which means a first print, but as others have noted there were some discrepancies.  Hopefully it's solid for Paul's sake, and a great pick-up to boot.  

And $31 for a woodgrain...?  Was that a yardsale?  Don't tell me it was an eBay auction the rest of us missed...  :oops:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:15 am 

It was a Tractics. Different product.
What with it being a first print and all, why does it have errata sheets? Did first prints come with them?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:49 am 

Excellent point... The very first prints (1000 copies or so) didn't have errata as far as I know.

It could be this person had errata from another set and included it.

I'm sure smarter folks than I will answer this... but it's a good point.

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:19 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:It was a Tractics. Different product.
What with it being a first print and all, why does it have errata sheets? Did first prints come with them?

Ah, now I see, Tractics.  That makes sense now.  

And an excellent point about the inclusion of errata sheets, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pictures as well.  I believe Paul's recent auction of a first print woodgrain had no errata sheet.  Hmm... we'll just have to see when Paul gets the set.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:59 pm 

Couldn't figure that one out either. Why did you just sell yours, Paul? Are you upgrading with this new one?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:00 pm 

My 1st printing came with errata sheets as well, which doesn't make much sense.  Perhaps
there are different states of the 1st printing?  My 1st errata sheets are pretty random,
with the first few pages being blank.

Vol 3 in the picture shows no printing # on the cover sheet - looks like a 1st to me.

Do other editions of the woodgrain box come with a side label?

A 1st printing of Tractics for $30 is a good deal.  You get the same woodgrain box, too.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:30 pm 

Well, if the story concerning the First printing is true (that 1,000 boxes were delivered to Gygax's living room, and hand-assembled), that doesn't leave a lot of room for errata sheets being in "some" of the boxes and not others.

Basically, I'd be willing to bet that owners inserted the errata on their own at some point.  I don't believe the First print saw circulation much out of the Lake Geneva area or thereabouts, which would make the original First print owners probably somewhat familiar with each other.  The existence of errata sheets could have been a word-of-mouth sort of thing -- write into TSR and get a copy of the errata sent to you.

The reason I believe the errata wasn't present originally: there's too many First print sets (mine included) that don't have it.  It'd be such an easy thing to keep in the box along with the booklets -- missing errata sheets in an otherwise good-condition set would be something of a rarity.

Lastly, there's also probably pretty good odds that Gygax's version of events / number of copies / presence of errata / etc is partly erroneous.  His memory has proved sketchy before, unfortunately.  So who knows.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:56 pm 

Why would a first print have errata? Never seen that before. The idea is to sell the product, THEN put in errata on the next run.
So, we need to have the $$ guy tell us more about this boxed set when he gets it. Man, I can't get over $2,280. I'd hesitate to pay that for C1 and 2, and those had less than 1/2 the copies.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:49 pm 

It's entirely possible that EGG, RJK, and the rest of the TSR gang discovered the errata and began to compile it after they got the 1st printing back from the printer.  Then, since it took the first print run a year+ to sell-through, they began to insert the errata as they compiled them.

If we had more info about the errata sheets---in terms of comparing them to one another to determine if additions were made over time---we'd probably have a clearer picture of this.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:36 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Man, I can't get over $2,280. I'd hesitate to pay that for C1 and 2, and those had less than 1/2 the copies.

True, but they were also five/six years later, and prominently stated "Collector's Editions" in the top corner (in case anyone missed the fact that they were rare).  As such, many more copies of C1/2 have survived than First print sets.  In 1974, few people had a reason to keep a D&D boxed set in nice condition -- what the hell is this game anyway?

Foul

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:38 pm 

grodog wrote:It's entirely possible that EGG, RJK, and the rest of the TSR gang discovered the errata and began to compile it after they got the 1st printing back from the printer.  Then, since it took the first print run a year+ to sell-through, they began to insert the errata as they compiled them.

Quite possibly the best theory yet.  Re-formatting the typeface was far too expensive (ergo, the errata weren't actually incorporated until the Fourth print), but we can surmise that they started discovering problems almost immediately when they received the sets from the printers.  A comparison of the errata sheets from these First print sets to those found in the Second print would be useful.

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:47 pm 

Howdy Folks,

A fool and his money...

I got the D&D woodgrain and sadly it is not wholly a 1st print. The 3rd volume as some of you had noted - post auction - is a later reprint. The rest are all 1st print materials. I am currently in the process of enacting a return but the fellow is balking at my claims that the third volume is not part of the set.

Thus I come to you folks to aid me (especially those that bid on the item). An examination of the booklet in the auction pics shows that it's color does not match the others. In one picture, it shows vol. 3 open and the interior has a buff cast to it. In fact the interior of the booklet is the same buff cardstock as the exterior and is thus a later print. The other booklets of the first print are all new-leather colored on the outside and white on this inside. Further the booklet is slightly shorter than the others in the set - this can be seen by the closeness of the cover printing to the bottom edge of the book in the auction pictures. A subtle difference but a difference nonetheless.

The text, however, is verbatim to the 1st print. Thus the seller's pause to refund. I am trying to make it clear that the third book is a later reprint only by virtue of the completely different buff colored (inside and out) cardstock. Further, it should have been apparent to the person handling the set that the books were different in this way. In person, and with the other books to compare it to it is clear the book cover is different. In hindsight (the post auction discussion here aroused my suspicion), the book pictured in the auction is clearly not the same as the other two and has a buff interior. At the time I ascribed it to age but having the set now in my hands it is obvious that the auction picture did not lie. I le the assurance of the individual email, and the bidding fervor, cloud my judgement.

At the time of bidding I think many of us were suspicious of the printing. However, the fellow's email to all bidders indicated this was a 1st printing (double underscored in the email) and that he had a third party evaluate it (Troy D. is given thanks for his help in the email).

The listing can be found here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=44114

I would like all here who feel qualified to speak (especially the bidders invloved) to please contact Carl (and Cc or Bcc [email protected] and my PayPal account rep. [email protected] in on the email). The fellow's email address is:
[email protected]

Please email him with your observations of the 3rd volume pictured in the auction and it's later print status, my credibility, and long standing membership in this community of collectors. Perhaps pointing him to the relevant section of the Acaeum too.

I don't want this guy to feel attacked ( be nice Frank :) ), he is just trying to understand why the third volume was not as advertised. He felt his research was very thorough. I don't think he was trying to trick anyone.

Thanks to all who aid me in this. You help is much appreciated.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Next