Where to find OOP D&D stuff
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:39 pm 

Where do most people acquire their OPP D&D items, other then Ebay?
Any suggestions where to look?  :?

Mark

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:09 pm 

Yardsales, mostly. Or trades. Resellers charge way too much.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:49 pm 

Mark,
 Here are your best options. . . besides eBay. . .

1) Comic Book Stores!  Yes check out all of your local comic book stores.  Go to comic book stores whenever you are in a new city.  Especially stores that have been around for a decade or two.  Odds are they stocked RPG's of all sorts and they are tucked away in a corner.  I have found dozens of shrinkwrapped, out-of-print items this way.  Usually it is still cover price, so you have to weigh whether or not the value is a great deal, comparable or a bust (don't go paying 26.95 for the Al-Qadim boxed set!)

2) RPG stores - not all of these guys have discovered eBay and still have tons of New/used stuff around.  Often they are overpriced, but there is ALWAYS a few gems in there somewhere if you look through EVERYTHING.

3) Used Book stores - these are hit and miss, but you can always check back. . . sooner or later someone dumps off their kids collection of books and then its modules for $3.00 each. . . or they are all overpriced, but even if they are $10.00, the "used book guy" doesn't know the difference between Vecna Lives and Isle of Dread so the deals are still there.

4) Yard Sales/Flea Markets/Estate Sales - you could search forever and not find anything but some ratty dragon magazines. . . or maybe you get a lost trove.  Unless you really like this kind of shopping you might search all summer and not find anything decent (I like to save this kind of searching for when my Mother-in-law is around. . . then everyone is happy!)

5)  And you will always wind up back at eBay because that is where everything can be purchased for a great price and mailed to your door.  Many resellers overcharge. . . BUT NOT ALL  :)    Sometimes it seems that a certain perspective on eBay shopping is lost.  Some guy pays $12.00 for a copy of Dungeoneer's Survival Guide and we all laugh.  But I paid $15.00 for it when it came out. . . and then my friend "acquired" my copy and I paid $15.00 again. . . and I have bought over 5 different Players Handbooks (New) and a copy of Unearthed Arcana that fell apart on me two months later. . . and new WoTC books cost over $30.00!

So shop wisely and get an idea of what you want. . . you can get what you want right away at eBay. . . but searching for deals in person can be even more fun.  After a few months when you have gone to every place within 50 miles you will wind up back at the internet though because the supply is endless.

And not ALL resellers suck your blood. . . just most of them  8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:39 pm 

Local Conventions. Yeah, you might have to get in the car and drive, but many have small auctions or the like. You can score some deals, but many "hot" items are radically overpriced. There was a time when you could get most anything cheap. I remember an orange B3 go for $75: I thought the buyer was insane. 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:50 pm 

I got my First Print Woodgrain for 40 bucks at a local small con...

It was just sitting there with a postit note and the price.

I think I sprained my shoulder going for my wallet so fast.... :)

Local cons rule.. plus you can sometimes hook up with guys who will trade stuff with you.

PLUS, you can usually thumb through items you already have and 'upgrade' your collection.  Sell the 'lower grade' T1 you've had sitting around for a SW one and come out about even.

Just a thought.

Plus.. It's a CON!  You can actually PLAY the game!

-Jon

-------------------------------------------------

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:15 am 

Hey Mark, where in NJ are you?  I used to live in Merchantville, a small South Jersey town near Cherry Hill, and attended the old Rutgers Univerity conventions in the early 80s.  

In fact, I'm still searching for a tourney I played there called Treasures of the Dragon Queen; details at Greyhawk's Tournament History: Treasure of the Dragon Queen

Ring any bells? :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:29 am 

Treasures of the Dragon Queen? Was it a Con module? I think I might have that one. What does the cover look like?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:49 am 

Oh Lord... you're going to give grodog a heart attack with that comment.  He's been looking for that damn module since both he and I were in diapers.  :)  Or thereabouts.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:03 am 

FoulFoot wrote:Oh Lord... you're going to give grodog a heart attack with that comment.  He's been looking for that damn module since both he and I were in diapers.  :)  Or thereabouts.

I had the exact same thought.  
You'll make grodog's century if you have it!   :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:54 am 

I think Deadlord is kidding.. but if he isn't.. that would be the height of irony to have Dragon Queen under grodog's nose all this time.

:lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:58 pm 

No, I'm not kidding at all. I have a ton of stuff I haven't even had the chance to go thru properly. I got a huge lot of Con modules about a month ago. Arcanacons mostly, but around 10 or so US Con modules. I'm pretty sure I have seen that title, either in my collection (which is in pieces right now since I've been moving it), or in my "to be added" pile/mountain.
I assume it is rare, then? What Con was it played in?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:09 pm 

Follow the link my friend and all will be revealed.

It's rare... since Grodog hasn't found one.

Put up a scan if you find it!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:40 pm 

Yeah, that's the link alright, and I'm still definitely looking for it :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/