Chess set
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:03 am 

I am impressed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3183907989

Congratulations, William. By the way, what's the story with your new user name?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:01 pm 

Hey, someone noticed my new (kinda) user name.  
When Scott switched templates for the forum, he deleted the template I was using so I couldn't access the forum any longer.  Scott tried reinstating the template so I could get access again but it didn't work, I was still locked out.  
So I'm now using Netscape 7.1, instead of IE, to access the forum and had to re-register with a new user name.  If I tried using dathon, I would have been locked out again, just as I am on IE.  Sorry for the confusion this may have caused anyone.  

As for the chess set, I'm pretty happy to have won it.  I was sure that Burnie or Pitttbulll or someone else would place an incredibly high bid in the last second, but fortunately for me it didn't happen.  Does anyone else have a set or has seen a set?  If not, I'd be happy to provide some pics when I get it if people are curious.  The one pic from the auction wasn't very clear.  
Cheers...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:56 pm 

darmok wrote:Hey, someone noticed my new (kinda) user name.  
When Scott switched templates for the forum, he deleted the template I was using so I couldn't access the forum any longer.  Scott tried reinstating the template so I could get access again but it didn't work, I was still locked out.  
So I'm now using Netscape 7.1, instead of IE, to access the forum and had to re-register with a new user name.  If I tried using dathon, I would have been locked out again, just as I am on IE.  Sorry for the confusion this may have caused anyone.  

As for the chess set, I'm pretty happy to have won it.  I was sure that Burnie or Pitttbulll or someone else would place an incredibly high bid in the last second, but fortunately for me it didn't happen.  Does anyone else have a set or has seen a set?  If not, I'd be happy to provide some pics when I get it if people are curious.  The one pic from the auction wasn't very clear.  
Cheers...

Pictures would be very cool  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:25 pm 

Darmok and Jilad at Tanagra..........
Darmok, his chess game won, his face smiling.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:06 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Darmok and Jilad at Tanagra..........
Darmok, his chess game won, his face smiling.

Indeed!  
Actually Paul Winfield, the guy who played the alien commander in the episode, just died two weeks ago.  
Mirab, his sails unfurled!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:22 pm 

Deadlord36, his eyes weeping, his chessboard unfilled......
I'd have probably thrown $1,000 at it if I played chess more often.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:23 pm 

Amusing thing is, I do that with the wife all the time. I'll say "Frank, his belly rumbling" to indicate dinnertime, etc.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2004 9:51 pm 

muaddib5 wrote:Pictures would be very cool  :)

Finally, here are a few pics of the chess set.

The miniatures are really nice, but my question is: Were these minis and set specially designed just this one time for the Gygax giveaway to TSR employees, or were they 300 sets bought in a store/mail-order and then given to the employees (in other words, there are a lot of those sets out there but minus the Gygax autograph)?  Obviously if the former is the case it's much more valuable and special than the latter.  Any ideas?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 10:15 pm 

The bottom of the minis say "TSR 1984."  
Does that definitely mean that TSR produced them only in-house, or is it still possible the minis were bought someplace else and then imprinted?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2004 11:45 pm 

William, what are the little things below the pawns? they for when you "king" the pawn....

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:06 am 

The things below the pawns are just the opposing side's pawns seen upside-down.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:52 am 

:?
... lol... well there you go.. I'm just going to sit in the corner and be quiet now...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:54 am 

PurpleDragon wrote:The things below the pawns are just the opposing side's pawns seen upside-down.

Yes, that's the way they were packaged.  
8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:36 pm 

I'll chime in with what little information I know. At the time the chess set was made, TSR was looking to get into the collectible pewter gift shop market. The sets were planned to be part of that. Approximately 300 were made. Not all employees recieved them, only some. (Yes, I have one. No, it 's not for sale.)  It was my understanding that the set was carved by somebody at work (David Sutherland and Dennis both displayed a talent for it and at the time we had other scupltors on staff.) However, I have no absolute proof on that so take that as a guess.

The pewter casting was most likely done by the people who had the license to do pewter  -- Radcliffe(?) Casting or something like that.

David "Zeb" Cook

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 26, 2004 8:55 pm 

Zeb wrote:I'll chime in with what little information I know. At the time the chess set was made, TSR was looking to get into the collectible pewter gift shop market. The sets were planned to be part of that. Approximately 300 were made. Not all employees recieved them, only some. (Yes, I have one. No, it 's not for sale.)  It was my understanding that the set was carved by somebody at work (David Sutherland and Dennis both displayed a talent for it and at the time we had other scupltors on staff.) However, I have no absolute proof on that so take that as a guess.

The pewter casting was most likely done by the people who had the license to do pewter  -- Radcliffe(?) Casting or something like that.

David "Zeb" Cook

Thanks for the information, Zeb!  By Dennis, I presume you mean Dennis Mize?  It'd be pretty cool if it were DCS considering the other thread.  Perhaps seeyouinescrow can ask him about it.  
8)