Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 54 of 135123 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:43 pm 

Welcome, Mythmere!   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:14 am 

Welcome Mythmere  :D

And Thanks to all that Welcomed me !!!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:15 am 

Finoreddrale wrote:Welcome Mythmere  :D

And Thanks to all that Welcomed me !!!

greetings and i wish you a nice staying!

ciaooo

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:22 am 

Welcome Mythmere, from the land down under! :cyclops:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:30 pm 

Greetings all!

I've been playing games (mostly D&D and War Games) since 1981, about 11 years old.  I've had collections come and go but at the moment I have what I consider a large collection.  Once again, I'm considering a sell off.  I've always enjoyed live auctions so perhaps Gencon 2008...

What I would like most is to find a good group of people to play the games I love.  Namely AD&D 1E and 2E, The Morrow Project, Call of Cthulhu, Chill 1E, Booth Hill 1E, MERP, and Cyberpunk.

If you're in Central Florida and want to game, send me a message!  I live about 20 minutes North of the Treasure Coast.

Wags

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:40 pm 

Wags wrote:Greetings all!

I've been playing games (mostly D&D and War Games) since 1981, about 11 years old.  I've had collections come and go but at the moment I have what I consider a large collection.  Once again, I'm considering a sell off.  I've always enjoyed live auctions so perhaps Gencon 2008...

What I would like most is to find a good group of people to play the games I love.  Namely AD&D 1E and 2E, The Morrow Project, Call of Cthulhu, Chill 1E, Booth Hill 1E, MERP, and Cyberpunk.

If you're in Central Florida and want to game, send me a message!  I live about 20 minutes North of the Treasure Coast.

Wags

Welcome Wags .....

Having kids whenever I see your name I think of Wags the Dog from the Wiggles  8O

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:40 pm 

Welcome Wags - good to see another representative from the great state of Florida!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:38 pm 

I've recently picked up the nickname Wags at work (Military) so I figured I'd use it here...  My kids seem to like it also.

So, that's one more gamer in Florida!  Hello lucyjoyce!  Any advise for gaming conventions in this state?  I would like to be in Atlanta for Dragon but it's a long way to drive and I'm kinda needed at home~

Necronomicon is just around the corner though and I intend to be there.

Wags

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:15 pm 

Welcome Wags!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:22 pm 

Wags wrote:Any advise for gaming conventions in this state?

Wags

MegaCon 2014:

This is mostly comics and manga, but there has been some gaming activity the couple of years I've gone.  It's a zoo, but a good time.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:26 pm 

Hi there all.

Im 37 and got into d&d back in the early 80's, and played for many many years, until college, work, friends moving on and such, I sort of drifted away.   Though every move I made across the state or across the county, my milk crates of AD&D books and my tackle box of miniatures followed.

A couple of months ago, I started staring at my Draco Dracorum limited edition Dragon (why oh why did I toss the box) that I never finished painting, and thought why not get back into painting them.  That soon lead into looking at all my old Dragon magazines, seeing the ads for all those cool old box sets that I drooled over 1000's of times, and thought, what the hell, lets see what I can get.

I now have quite a few of those from ebay and other stores, like the Bear Chariot of the Icelands, and Wasteland Raiders, and also I started buying up various lots of individuals to clean up and paint.  I have been looking at the site for a little while, and I am finding lots of great information for researching.  Thanks a lot for all the help.

I do have a question Im not sure of posting yet.  Im going to search around some more.  I dont want to be too noobish in posting a new topic without searching fully...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:06 pm 

hey there!

welcome to the site - well the guys here are great and will be more than happy to help if you post up a polite question?

enjoy!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:41 pm 

Hello,

My name is Stuart and I have lurking on this site for about a year.  I am 51 so that puts me outside the range of most of you. I started playing D&D around 1975 when a friend who was going to UCLA invited a group of us to play during summer break.  I am not a collector as such but I do have the collected flotsam of my misspent youth sitting around in boxes.  I have been e-mailing Shane about my old Judges Guild material and have decided to take the leap and post to the forum directly.

Labrat

S. Jacobson
You're never alone with a rubber duck

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:52 pm 

Labrat wrote:Hello,

My name is Stuart and I have lurking on this site for about a year.  I am 51 so that puts me outside the range of most of you. I started playing D&D around 1975 when a friend who was going to UCLA invited a group of us to play during summer break.  I am not a collector as such but I do have the collected flotsam of my misspent youth sitting around in boxes.  I have been e-mailing Shane about my old Judges Guild material and have decided to take the leap and post to the forum directly.

Labrat

hey Stuart, welcome to the site chummer....nice to see another JG guy on board! :) and a classic D&D'er too!

welcome and enjoy the site

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:02 pm 

Labrat wrote:Hello,

Labrat

Again glad you joined and for the help that you have provided for the site.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:37 pm 

Hello All,

I've posted a bit already... as I have been on a vintage dice-buying kick. But I wanted to take the time to say hi formerly and maybe get to know you folks a little better.

I'm 31 years old and have been interested in D&D since I was about 5 (yes, REALLY!) I live in Brooklyn, NY but grew up in suburban CT.

So, I'm a D&D geek since way back when my family used to play in the early 80's. I was just a wee lad when I would sit and watch my Mom, step-dad; aunts and uncles play for hours on Friday or Saturday nights. It was mesmerizing and I loved every minute of it... Yet I was a little too young to actually play.

They were not gamer-types per-se and my Aunt Donna, whom was working for the local Catholic Church at the time was our Dungeon Master... I know, weird. They somehow found out about this weird little game through local kids and figured it would be fun to try... My family was pretty poor and this was a cheap source of fun... I was hooked.

I started playing for real with my friends in about 3rd grade or so... So I've got mostly pre 1985 D&D experience but also played 2nd edition for a while in Junior High. Later I sold off all of my post 1983 stuff and only kept my family's original Basic (Moldvay) set and Hardcover books along with all of their character sheets, notes and maps... I then started to collect all of the original stuff (pre 1983) as a hobby about 18 years ago...

I Really have David C. Sutherland III the most to thank for my collection thus far... When the Mail Order Hobby Shop was still running I would call and ask if some of the older versions of things were still available and I would ask if I could buy returned OOP stuff... they eventually got fed up with my questions and handed me off to an "old-timer" to chat with. Dave and I chatted on a few occasions... he feilded my questiones and told me some stories of the early days and about the printings and how to differentiate the printings of some the earlier stuff. I told him of my search for some of the modules I couldn't find (B1, S3 and G series separates). We talked about the Wizard Logo vs. the Lizard and the original GK on the the original boxed set (which I had never seen). We talked about Erol Otis (my favorite artist) and some other stuff I forget now…

At the end of our last conversation he said "You know what, give me your address as I think I have most of the stuff your looking for in my basement". !!!  ...And for that Christmas I received a box of goodies with a nice letter from Dave and a shit-load of cool old TSR stuff. He sent me his personal copy of the White Box with his scribbles and all! Plus he sent me a 1st printing Holmes rulebook, B1 (mono), S3 (1st print), S4 (sealed), Gods, Demigod & Heroes, Swords & Spells, Chainmail and a Rogues Gallery along with a few other things I cannot remember right now.

I was floored and psyched and now in possession of some really special stuff that I hope to someday pass onto somebody else that is as excited as I am about the early days of TSR and the founders of Role-playing…

Dave was a great guy, I only wish I could have stayed in touch through the years. I was saddened to find out that he had passed away a few years ago and under such adverse circumstances…

Dave's letter had closed with the phrase: "Remember that generosity can be contagious…"

Like many of you I hope to continue to dig deeper into the TSR history through collecting and gaming and I hope to make a few friends along the way.

Kindest Regards,
David J. Gereg

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:54 pm 

Welcome TheMilford!  Thanks for sharing your story!  There's lots more good people round here.  I'm fairly new myself, and have really enjoyed this crew so far. :D

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:00 pm 

That is a wonderful story, David!  Thanks for passing it along, and welcome to the forums!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 54 of 135123 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 133134135