Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 52 of 135123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 133134135
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:37 am 

I suppose I should introduce myself...

Name's Andrew.  Not really much of a collector, to be honest.  More interested in the history of the game, even if it means only encountering it by proxy.  Late 20s, introduced to roleplaying via the 2nd Ed. game back in junior high.

Don't really play much D&D anymore, mainly because I got a bit tired of doing the "high fantasy" setting.  It's been Deadlands and Call of Cthulhu mainly, though I'm debating starting up a GURPS Traveller game for some friends.  (If anyone has advice on using the system, feel free to PM me.)

When I do collect stuff, it tends to be either related to the various boxed D&D sets or classic Traveller (when it doesn't get out of my price range), though I've been picking up Dark Sun and Planescape (the former because there's a bit of a similarity between it and a setting I've been kicking around in my head for years, and the latter for my SO) stuff lately.    I have, however, been known to pick up almost anything or everything if it's cheap and it interests me enough to take at least a cursory read through.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:13 pm 

Just joined the forum after discovering this place only a week ago.

I'm Gavin..... Age er..... well I have an email address from back when it was still possible to register dictionary words as your .co.uk email :D  (I'm 38 ).

Been collecting on and off for 20 years but have not focused on anything in particular.... Just whatever makes a good read.

I do still play D&D (3.5 now.... we have moved with the times) - still with the same group of friends from 20 years ago.

For some reason Planescape has me interested and I've started moping up a few bits and pieces on Ebay

This place seems like a fantastic reference and I've made use of the Subforum (Planescape) already.  Only found this site from a reference on Ebay....perhaps members should cross post to other Roleplaying sites more?

Regards

Gavin

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:00 pm 

Welcome Gavin

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:15 pm 

welcome gav

welcome to the site and hope you enjoy. come and join in the topics chummer.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:26 pm 

Well, I feel a bit of a charlatan on this thread, as I am not a collector, but I do want to say hello properly.  I stumbled across this site last Fall as I began to learn about a collection I was entrusted to sell for a friend.  I had never posted to any forum anywhere, and as I am rather shy by nature was hesitant as I began.  But let me say that you folks are some of the kindest, most generous people I have had the pleasure to communicate with.  Looking back at my early posts, I see what an easy target for ridicule I was, but I was treated with nothing but kindness.  The collection I am selling started out with about 260 printed-matter items, and I still have around 150 to go.  Then there are the metal figures, which frankly boggle my mind, but which will begin to be auctioned off soon.    So I will still be around for a while, and I'm sure you will still see me popping up with a "what the heck is this?" question.  In return, if someone asks a question I can help with, I am very happy to provide some information, but I know it will never equal the amount I have been given.  

On a personal note, I am a fairly rare creature -- a native Floridian.  In fact, my parents live on a Florida farm that my family homesteaded in 1832.  I studied Coastal Engineering at UF.  I have 4 brilliant children and celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary last week.  I am a lucky and happy person.  Lucy Joyce is my mother's name.  My avatar is my maiden name's clan badge.  My name is Joan.

Thanks again for everything.  I'll be seeing you around.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:20 pm 

Welcome :)
That badge reminds me that there's quite a few Highland Games in Florida. But being in and from NC, I don't typically go that far for a games.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:38 pm 

Yes indeed.  My husband (also of Scot descent) was president of The St. Andrews Society here in Central Florida for a couple of years.  He looks quite fetching in a kilt!   We have attended the games on Grandfather Mountain up your way.  Quite an event.  Especially the ceilidh.

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:03 pm 

Hello, fellow gamers.  My name is Michael, and...I'm a D&D collector.

I'm 29 years old (I'll hit the big 3-0 this October), and I've been collecting for about two decades.  My dad died when I was really young, and when I was old enough, my mom passed along the few things he had to me.  This amounted to about a dozen or so issues of Dragon magazine (betweeen #56 and #71), a pink box Basic D&D game, a 1e DMG, PHB and MM, a blue binder filled with all of his character sheets and notes, a small cache of his hand-painted miniatures, and some maps he had been drawing and index cards he had been writing on for a campaign he had been putting together with some friends.  Looking back on it now, it seems like so little, and yet to an eight-year old boy it was nothing less than a mother-lode of treasure greater than any relic you could find in the back of the DMG.

I can't tell you how many times I read through those books, flipped through the magazines, or looked through his characters, wondering what it would have been like to play with him.  My mother told me that he had talked about introducing me to the game when I got older, but five seemed a bit too young to get me involved I guess. :)

From that very small beginning, I introduced a few of my neighborhood friends to the game.  I took to being the DM pretty early on, since I knew the rules better than anybody, and we made more trips through the Caves of Chaos than you could count.  Eventually, when I got more money, I'd buy new adventures, new books, back-issues of Dragon where I could find them.  And the collection has been growing ever since.

I've been looking (and lurking) here for over a year and finally decided to give a nod and hello to all the rest of you.  I'm sure my story isn't that different from anybody else's here: I found D&D young, and have been reading and playing ever since.  I've gone through 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition with remarkable ease, been through four or five gaming groups through high school and college, and have used RPGNow and other online sources to fill in the gaps when it comes to my OD&D and 1E collections (it's where I started, and where I'll always call home, I think).

In any case, I wanted to thank everyone who posts here for being so amazingly cool, insightful, helpful, and most of all talkative.  One of these days, I just might be assimilated into your collective. :)

- Michael

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:14 pm 

Welcome Michael!
From your posting on one of the other threads can I make an assumption that you have some sort of connection with Half Priced Books?

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:12 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Welcome Michael!
From your posting on one of the other threads can I make an assumption that you have some sort of connection with Half Price Books?

Yup.  Been working for the company for seven years now.  Best retail job I've ever had. :)

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:35 pm 

Welcome Michael

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:27 pm 

MichaelC wrote:Yup.  Been working for the company for seven years now.  Best retail job I've ever had. :)

And you get first crack at newly purchased D&D stuff :D

Welcome aboard Michael

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:16 am 

Since I have broken the lurker barrier, I thought I should introduce myself properly.

I started playing Moldvay D&D in 1981, when I was 10 years old.  I eventually moved to AD&D (and other RPGs such as Gamma World and Traveller).  I pretty much stopped playing around the time 2nd edition came out.  I carted my games around with me for years before finally disposing of them before a long-distance move in '97 or so.

Then, one day, I happened upon a Moldvay box set on ebay.  A subsequent Google search led me to this site which began my downward slide into collecting.  I find that I have now amassed far more stuff than I ever had when I was a kid (although still far less than most of you here, I'm sure).   :)

Thanks for the excellent site and all the time that has gone into it.

Basil

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:58 pm 

Hello all. I'm not a collector as such, more of a nostalgist, but there are definite signs of me getting hooked. I'm in the UK feeling quite jealous of some of the great offers available on your side of the world - shipping and the risk factor effectively locks out an amateur (see I'm becoming a collector as I type). One item I absolutely cannot find here in the UK is a Mylar bag suitable for storing hardback manuals or box sets. Plenty of comic size bags (will those do for modules?) but nothing larger. Really, I've looked but no joy. I also searched this forum but everything seems to focus on US sources. I guess I'm just looking in the wrong place. The way I figure it, if I buy a Mylar bag then I officially qualify as a collector? Yes? No? Then I can think about buying something worth putting in it. Actually I just got a fair price (I hope - VFine £30 / $60) on a 1st print Monster Manual. And I've been buying a few other bits from various sources (some to collect, some to use) which means I'm now pot-less as well as bag-less. Can anyone help with the bags at least? An online seller would be great. A cheap online seller, well...

Incidentally, did I mention, as a kid I bought virtually every D&D/ AD&D manual, module, supplement etc. as it came off the press. First Ed/ First Print every time. Gave them all to a mate when I left Uni on account of travelling home by train and not wanting to carry the weight. The most expensive train ride in history? Plus I figured I was joining the working world so wouldn't have time for games - plenty of games and politics at work after all. I wonder how much that collection would be worth now? Guess I'm going to find out the hard way.

Great site, great forum. I've learned plenty here in just the last few days. In fact if any of you want to sell me a bridge you'd better move fast.

Danny

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:41 pm 

Welcome, megnelwil.

Welcome nice hantlers

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:32 pm 

MichaelC wrote:Hello, fellow gamers.  My name is Michael, and...I'm a D&D collector.

I'm 29 years old (I'll hit the big 3-0 this October), and I've been collecting for about two decades.  My dad died when I was really young, and when I was old enough, my mom passed along the few things he had to me.  This amounted to about a dozen or so issues of Dragon magazine (betweeen #56 and #71), a pink box Basic D&D game, a 1e DMG, PHB and MM, a blue binder filled with all of his character sheets and notes, a small cache of his hand-painted miniatures, and some maps he had been drawing and index cards he had been writing on for a campaign he had been putting together with some friends.  Looking back on it now, it seems like so little, and yet to an eight-year old boy it was nothing less than a mother-lode of treasure greater than any relic you could find in the back of the DMG.

Wow - what a sad/happy story! Thank you for sharing it. It's awesome that your mom saved that material, especially the character sheets/notes/maps.

Welcome to the board!

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:53 am 

Hey all. Been reading this board for a few months or so.

I started collecting back in the 90's. Have a little bit of everything, but mostly 2ed stuff. Oh, I do have a complete Planescape collection, most still shrinkwrapped.  8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:30 pm 

Svetgar wrote:Hey all. Been reading this board for a few months or so.

I started collecting back in the 90's. Have a little bit of everything, but mostly 2ed stuff. Oh, I do have a complete Planescape collection, most still shrinkwrapped.  8)

Welcome to the forum Svetgar.  Where in Texas do you call home?

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 52 of 135123 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 133134135