Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:16 pm 

Hello, all!  My name is Andrew Swist (from Brooklyn/ NYC) and I just joined this forum.  Although I don't currently PLAY any RPG at the moment, I ADORE my old collection of books, modules, and miniatures!  I still daydream about my junior high "week-end all-nighters"!!    The arguments, the surprises, the treasure!!  Now I'm looking to collect original artwork or reprints containing some of my favorite artwork.  One of my prized parts in my collection are the Dungeons and Dragons "Choose your Own Adventure" type books.  I have the first 15 or so books in that series that I'm always reading on the subway to work!!  I also just invested in a copy of "Shadows of Ahm" (?) Baldur's Gate and look forward to doing some fun "solo adventuring" via computer (mac).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:01 pm 

Hal 36 and been playing since the early eighties I have a lot of the d20/3ed stuff, I am a small games publisher/art director.  I own some original art but none from the 80's, but always looking for new art, coolest non-art piece I have is a OD&D white box signed by Gygax and Arneson on cover of book 1.

Take care all, and good collecting.

Hal Greenberg

Todd Lockwood art for sale on ebay at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Todd-Lockwood-Art

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:51 pm 

Your avatar picture rocks.

Welcome to the forum!

-------------------------------------------------

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:06 pm 

JonOakes wrote:Your avatar picture rocks.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks and the original of that avatar can be yours by going to e-bay in the next 8 days +  :wink:.

Very smart site I have already added it to my favs.

Hal Greenberg

Todd Lockwood art for sale on ebay at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Todd-Lockwood-Art

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:52 am 

I'm Dani, haven't been playing or collecting long, umm i'm 18, a girl, and i work at a comic shop... that's the sum of it...

Dani

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:05 am 

Huh... A girl who collects D&D and works in a comic shop... Thanks alot!  

Where were you when *I* was 18!!! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:06 am 

On second thought.. don't answer that.  :oops:  :oops:  :lol:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:07 pm 

Thought I'd post my details to anyone whos interested. I'm Carl (no surprises there then) age 34 and,frankly, no collection to speak of!
This stuff takes me back to 1980 when I first started playing at school (the school that both my sons now go to - I must start getting out a bit more!)
Got back into the hobby when 3E came out but only as something to read - I don't play, though I sometimes wish there were enough hours in the day(and of course that I could find a group that still played 1E). My main interest is FR and I am slowly building up my collection - I gave away all my RP stuff about 14 years ago to a guy at works son and regret it every time I look on ebay - If I could have that stuff back now my standard of living would be increased a 100 fold. I've been a long time lurker on these forums  & recently forayed into e-bay, so I am trying to get a bit more involved. I would be interested to hear from any Uk members for their memories of gaming in the UK, as well as to find out if there are any games stores still actually active (esp in the South). I wish you all well - C

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 4:39 am 

Hi all,

I'm Egg, I'm 32 and currently living in Waterloo Ontario.  I have been playing AD&D for about twenty years, fifteen of which were with a solid core of Greyhawk players from my home town.  I've been playing very sporadically since moving down here, but putting together a good gaming group has proved remarkably difficult.  

I'm currently filling in the last few holes in my 1st ed AD&D collection, but am only just starting to collect modules for the basic D&D sets.  Offers of cheap modules for sale are always welcome . . .

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:25 am 

Another 30's guy. Live in NJ.  Collecting is sort of my hobby I guess.  Started with pennies, then baseball cards, beer cans and comic books back in 70's and 80's.  Cureently Im finishing off my vintage micronauts and starting on the Dnd books.

I never played AD&D very long maybe 2 years max in my early high school days but reading the books was fun and it definately was a great escape.  I sort of moved over to the computer games since gathering the people to play was such a pain and never went back.

I havent played any computer games in years and I thought I had gotten rid of that little collection bug.  It was attic cleaning time two years ago and I dumped some of the old dnd and micronauts I had on ebay.  Needless to say they were used and sold for dirt and now Ive already spent 200X of that rebuilding my micronauts (have a few pieces left to find though)...now its DnD time...

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 01, 2004 12:58 am 

OK here is my 'anonymous D&D confession'.
Fit smack dab in the category. Name is Jan, started playing in 85/86 when I was in college, in the Netherlands where I was born.

First game was Tomb of Horrors(...), character didn't survive his first evening (got rolled over by the giant stone juggernaut) but I was hooked ever since.

Anyway, I'm more an (ex) player/DM than a collector, and indeed, its the nostalgia-stuff mentioned before that makes me want to have the material again/for real now - we often had photocopies only... - purchasing power has indeed increased somewhat since way back when  :)
(This 'ex' is the current undesirable situation - any leisurely-paced 1ed/2ed game in N-New Jersey in need of a character?)

I've played Greyhawk, Lankhmar, FR and Dark Sun, love them all but the former the most, would like to have the Greyhawk/related-stuff 'complete', and don't care for shrink wrap.

Oh, I'm still nowhere BTW, most prized item is the Greyhawk boxed set ...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 08, 2004 9:21 pm 

Hello all,

I have been involved in role-playing since 1983, mostly in D&D and AD&D.  I managed to hold on to most of my original stuff and try to fill in the gaps.  I guess it's more nostalgia and wishful thinking, getting all the things I didn't get when I was younger and finding new things I never knew existed.  I don't care very much about condition, so long as an item is complete and, at least, as nice as my own old stuff.  I consider all my items to be priceless (worthless), as I have no intention of getting rid of them, but my most valued item would probably have to be my 1st edition DMG with my name written on the inside front cover by most of my ex's, lol.  Living in Kentucky, sources are fairly limited, so I am grateful to the internet for providing me with the resources to engage in one of my fondest memories of youth and a continuing interest in vintage D&D.  I also collect Star Wars memorabilia, comics, books of all sorts, swords, movies and video games,and dust.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:03 am 

Hello.  My name is Rich.  Long time reader, first time poster.
I'm 33 and living in Ct.  I've been playing since '78 when I was 8 and my brother would let me us his stuff.
I pretty much stick to the 1ed. modules, as I like to read them and get ideas from them for my campaign.  I used to just pick up whatever condition, but lately I've been a bit more picky and have started keeping track of printings.

Thank you very much to this site.  I love it so much and have avoided many a bad buy because of it.

I haven't done much buying on e-bay because I have a limited budget right now.  Plus I really enjoy the "hunt".  Going to out of the way stores or conventions and spending hours going through boxes and shelves.  But that's almost impossible to do today.

My best grab would be my copy of RPGA1 which I bought as part of a 10 module collection for $20.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:31 am 

Hello, my name is Mike.  I am 30 years old and living in CT.  I've been playing D&D for as long as I can remember.  Haven't played in years though because of the inevitable (wife and fixeruper house).  Have DMed more then anything.  Out of our group I was the only one who could come up with adventures off the top of my head. Others in the group tried and stunk, therefore I was the chosen one.  I would create dungeons and whatever as we played.  I rarely used modules and used them more for ideas.  I found them too confining.

Today I like to collect D&D modules, books, etc.  I sold off some of my collection some years ago (STUPID!) and am now reclaiming it.  I collect more for the memories and cool artwork.  Don't have many really rare items, and some of my favorites are the least rare.  Mint G1-3 (the memories), I12 mint, MM 4th print mint (cool artwork).  The first edition MM is still the best.  The color artwork in the later editions bites compared to the old B+W stuff.  Happy collecting.   :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:09 am 

Hi. My name is Rob, Im another 30 something male, from Wisconsin, and have been playing since 1980. I would say Im more of a player than a collector, but since WoC has taken over, Im a bit of both I guess, as I dont much care for the new format.  I mainly play a 1st/2nd blend, and throw in a little from Dragonlance (a strong affinity for Kender developed quite a few years ago), but in general just try to get into any game I can, and DM whenever I can get the players.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:34 am 

Hey folks, been lurking for about a month now and finally found time to post an introduction.  Some basics:  34 year old east coaster (VA), first played in April '79.  Been hooked ever since and still remember the thrill of those first adventures.  Don't find the time to play as much but still love the game.  

What brings me here?  I sold my 1st edition core rule books and such in 2000 and recently began searching for them on ebay.  Found the Acaeum thru a Google search and loved the information they provided.  Starting browsing the forums and it seems like a great crowd.

What interests me?  Besides all forms of d&d, computer games, wwii, advanced squad leader, playing guitar, home remodelling and construction (currently planning the basement), the great outdoors, working on the jeep, and the good old standby - beer and friends :).

Things I'm currently looking for:  Monster & Treasures Assortment 3, Player Character Sheets from 79-81, Non-player character sheets and permanent record sheets.

My view on the SW:  I definitely will buy it if it is an item whose value won't be hurt by removing the SW (e.g. T1 Village of Hommlet green cover).  But otherwise, I won't buy because I want to open and it and use it in a game.  

Hmmmm, sure I could find other things to say but I'll save them for other threads.  Sorry for the long introduction.  It's great to be here.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:03 pm 

There are some on this forum who know me from other forums.  Some of you have never heard of me.  But to keep it short and sweet, I grew up with D&D and Advanced D&D.  I found this site some time ago, and kept it in my bookmarks for use as a reference for various sundry tasks.

Until recently, I didn't know that The Acaeum even had message forums.  I found them, and actually found the information presented quite useful.  I don't know how much input I can provide, as I don't generally focus on the collecting aspects of the hobby.  Some proof of that can be found in the One man's junk...AKA FREE STUFF! thread.

Since I'm not a hardcore collector, the issue of shrinkwrap really doesn't come into play for me.  But my take on shrinkwrap is this: being that it's so easy to shrinkwrap items today, shrinkwrap should have no basis in the buying decision and should have NO effect on price.  Furthermore, the games are meant to at least be read, and you can't enjoy them if they're shrinkwrapped.

My take on staples has already been said on the Rusty Staples thread.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:07 am 

Greets!  I'm new to these boards, just found them the other night when I got this crazy idea that I would try and locate some original Erol Otus art (I know, keep dreaming!) I actually got here by discovering the classic dungeon crawl products from Goodman Games, then researching erol otus etc, and ending up here through a search in google.

I must say this looks like a good bunch! I'm very excited about the opportunity to keep tabs on interesting collectibles that may come up for sale from time to time.  I'm most interested in Original artwork from the D&D/AD&D classics, but I'm in the process of getting copies of all the old books that are in decent shape.

Oh yeah, 32 years old from Louisiana/Mississppi area, I've been playing since I was 9, so I guess that puts me at about 1981 getting into the hobby.  I have a miniature collection you wouldn't believe! hehe..

PreviousNext