Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 50 of 135123 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:30 pm 

Kires1 wrote:Flatlander, I think what B is saying is that members here prefer not to bid against one another for the same item (unless it's a rare item).  If, for instance I saw you bidding on an item, common etiquette would be for me NOT to bid against you for the item (although admittedly I think I've bid against B in the past - before joining this forum 8O ).  Now I know!  :wink:

I try not to artificially drive up prices on items that other members want.  If I want it enough to post a bid, I most certainly will bid against other members...and they bid against me.

Actually, losing a bid to a cohort can be fun...like a teammate winning a race.  You get all the fun of bidding, but you don't pay anything.  However...I bet not everybody feels that way.   :D

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:36 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Thank god. I was getting ready to rip out the ole' horn-rimmed glasses and buck teeth.

:)

Nerd here.   8)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:33 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
I try not to artificially drive up prices on items that other members want.  If I want it enough to post a bid, I most certainly will bid against other members...and they bid against me.

Actually, losing a bid to a cohort can be fun...like a teammate winning a race.  You get all the fun of bidding, but you don't pay anything.  However...I bet not everybody feels that way.   :D

Mark   8)

I'd much rather lose an auction to a forum member.  That is unless the forum member in question and I were both bidding on a rare item and the forum member already had four of said item and I had none.  Then I would be a bit perturbed.  :wink:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:51 pm 

Hello all, following Matt's lead from earlier today, I decided to stop lurking and jump right in.  My name is Jeffrey and I've only recently started purchasing 1st edition D&D and AD&D items again after a 20+ year hiatus.  Similar to other forum members' introductions, my D&D dry spell was due to the 'usual suspects' of my D&D group discovering girls and beer in high school, then off to college, grad school, job, wife, young kids, etc ...  And then one rainy weekend a few months ago, I opened a dusty box with my old D&D goodies and was hooked once again.  I re-read most of the oldies we had played (B2, G1-2-3, X1, C2) and couldn't get enough.  After exhausting my supply (and my little brother's which had somehow become mixed in with mine :wink: ), I turned to Ebay to fill in the 1st edition gaps.  Fortunately for me on one of those auctions, the pricing guidelines on this site were referenced.  Thereafter, I would always refer to this site before I blundered into an auction.  Eventually, I found my way to the forums and enjoyed the lively discussions, debates, and general humor of this D&D group.

In the few weeks I've been lurking on this site, I have been impressed with the information available on both the site and forum and have learned quite a bit about collecting in general and D&D in particular from both.  (I particularly enjoyed the Coug thread and must admit I've bid on the H1 modules he offered once or twice.  With trepidation I also checked the thread for most outrageous price paid to make sure my name was not mentioned as I know I have probably overpaid for more than a few items. :oops: )  I recognize quite a few of the names on these threads as sellers and fellow buyers and would like to say thanks again to all the sellers for helping me to fill the gaps.  I look forward to participating in this group and learning from the Acaeum members.

Thanks.

P.S. I also use 'smarmy1' on Ebay.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:40 pm 

smarmy1 wrote: ...  And then one rainy weekend a few months ago, I opened a dusty box with my old D&D goodies and was hooked once again.  

Oh how I wish I still had my stiff from BITD!!

Welcome to the site Jeffrey, don't let the nasty boys in the playground upset you :lol:

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:05 am 

gyg wrote:Welcome to the site Jeffrey, don't let the nasty boys in the playground upset you :lol:

Thanks for the welcome and the warning.  If things get too rough, I can always take my modules and run home to Mommy :P, but I think I'll stick around for awhile and see how things go.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:09 am 

Hi, Smarmy1....good to see an eBayer I recognize! Just out of curiosity, did you see the Acaeum links in my auctions, too? Or am I the lucky "referrer?"

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:21 am 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Hi, Smarmy1....good to see an eBayer I recognize! Just out of curiosity, did you see the Acaeum links in my auctions, too? Or am I the lucky "referrer?"

Good evening/morning, Matt. Glad to see you here.  I remember the Acaeum link on your auctions, but you were not my first :wink:, Acaeum auction link, that is.

I'm not sure which auction initially led me here, but I'm glad I finally made it all the same.  Thanks again.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:23 am 

Anytime. I like this forum so far, and it's refreshing to see some faces - er, user IDs - that I recognise.

:D

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:38 pm 

Center_Stage_Hobbies wrote:Anytime. I like this forum so far, and it's refreshing to see some faces - er, user IDs - that I recognise.

And if you have a nagging feeling that you sort of recognize some others, it's probably true. We have a number of users who use different IDs here and on eBay.

There's a nice list on this thread here:

The Acaeum / eBay ID Guide

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:06 pm 

gyg wrote:
Oh how I wish I still had my stiff from BITD!!

You had a corpse back in the day?  Wouldn't it be getting rather smelly by now?

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:47 pm 

NetRodent wrote:
You had a corpse back in the day?  Wouldn't it be getting rather smelly by now?

ack!! (What can I say? it gets lonely stuck here on my own at nights - Have to make my own entertainment :lol: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:38 am 

Hello fellow collectors.

My name is Magnus, I am from Sweden and have been collecting -- or rather amassing -- RPG-stuff since 1983. I have been a lurker in this board for quite a while, but am now a registered poster. My actual D&D/AD&D collection is not very big or structured compared to others, but I am currently trying to focus it to items that I have actual nostalgic feelings for. Like, the stuff I have actually played. Collecting everything ever published might just be a bit too much ... :D

-- MW

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:49 am 

Magnus W wrote:Collecting everything ever published might just be a bit too much ... :D

-- MW

Yeah that is what I thought when I started collecting too.  Now I just want one of everything.  There are some here that want three of everything.  One in shrink, one in NM condition, and one to read.  Then there are the print run junkies.....I don't even want to go into that.  Count your blessings that you don't have the disease that they have.   :wink:

Welcome to the forum Magnus!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:55 pm 

Welcome Magnus.

The disease is progressive.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:38 pm 

Progressive indeed, but for the moment I will be satisfied feeding the habits of my fellow collectors; while wittling down my own collection to a more managable size. My collection is nowadays less all-encompassing, and more focused towards games, supplements, and modules that I actually have played. So some old stuff will go.
Like the Fighting Wheel, the monochrome Tomb of Horrors (S1 1978), several of the "Super Modules" (T-1-4, S1-4, A1-4, I3-5, WG7, and Lankhmar), the spare copies of S4, and the UK-series where I have UK2-UK7)

Gah! I have too much stuff.

Besides this I also collect Call of Cthulhu, Pendragon, RuneQuest and Cameras.
I don't count Castle Falkenstein and Nephilim since I already have everything ever published for those lines.

Collecting is a dirty job, but someone has to do it.

-- MW

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:30 pm 

Welcome, Magnus!

I remember passing through Uppsala one winter night on a train headed for Umea.  I got into a long discussion with a Swede about the fate and future of wolves in your country.   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:56 am 

Hi guys, my name is Dave.

I have posted here and dealt with a few of you already, but never got round to 'posting' myself here.

Anywho, I started playing many years ago and lost touch with the game when my brother moved away and he was the only local player.

Still, I have now started playing occasionally again with my wife, although following the arrival of a little fella recently playing has taken a back seat. During the recent months my posts have stopped also as a result, but life is getting back to normal now and I have time to come back.

I'm not a collector but enjoy playing and picking up old items to modify or convert into my existing 1st edition AD&D campaign. Rare items don't matter to me for their rarity but if its useful I would look to grab one. Hopefully I won't end up bidding anywhere against you guys, so just for the record, but ebay name is chalky13971.

Cheers
Dave  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 50 of 135123 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 133134135