Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 48 of 135123 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:41 am 

Flatlander wrote:Hi, long-tim lurker, first time poster.  I collect mostly pre1990 D&D items, collection small but growing.  Good to be here.

hey flatlander!

welcome to the acaeum :) (and to Kires1 too)

hope you enjoy your stay here.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:53 am 

Thanks that was quick.  There is a lot of traffic here, looks like.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:06 am 

Welcome Flatlander!

We of the mountain folk welcome you!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:47 am 

Hey Kosh,

Nope, not a member of the Renton D&D group.  Do they have a web site?

Thanks!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:20 pm 

Flatlander wrote:Hi, long-tim lurker, first time poster.  I collect mostly pre1990 D&D items, collection small but growing.  Good to be here.

Hi Flatlander and welcome to the site.  :)   When you get the chance, please post your Ebay ID in this thread:

The Acaeum / eBay ID Guide • Page 6 • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

That way we all know who to try and avoid in our bidding ventures, as its site etiquette to try and avoid each other (unless its something really rare  :wink: ).

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:31 pm 

I see, thanks.  I dont yet have an eBay account, but I've been thinking about it.  Mostly I trawl the local gaming shops in my area, and garage sales and such like.  If I open one I'll let people know.  Why?  What's the theory behind avoiding each other's auctions?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:35 pm 

Flatlander wrote:I see, thanks.  I dont yet have an eBay account, but I've been thinking about it.  Mostly I trawl the local gaming shops in my area, and garage sales and such like.  If I open one I'll let people know.  Why?  What's the theory behind avoiding each other's auctions?

Hmm...interesting.  How exactly did you message the seller and recieve a response back without actually having an Ebay account? I mean considering thats impossible to do? i.e:

Flatlander wrote:
I dont think this lady meant to decieve anyone.  Copy of her reply to my similar inquiry below.  Just someone that doesnt know the item.  I take it you were the angry e-mail she got:

"Dear Lorin,

Thanks for your clear and thoughtful description of the "D" characteristic. My camera was not working at the time so I used a stock photo. Yes it appears that I have ruffled many D and D collectors' feelings/feathers. One very angry one has already angrily written me. I'm just a Mom selling an unwanted item. But as I told him, I would never tarnish my 100% rating through misrepresentation. I have even written the loan bidder and asked them to review my revised comments and photo. Should they decide to renig, no problem. I would rather end the auction and donate this book that I have no need or appreciation of to Goodwill before I would jeopardize my standings with Ebay.

Thanks so much for taking time to educate me on the first edition status vs 3rd through 8th. I was unaware of multiple printings. I really just hoped to make less than 10 bucks on another unused item as we downsize our home and possessions.

Thanks again, Lorin. You were kind.

Best wishes,
mary"

L

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Last edited by bclarkie on Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:42 pm 

Flatlander, I think what B is saying is that members here prefer not to bid against one another for the same item (unless it's a rare item).  If, for instance I saw you bidding on an item, common etiquette would be for me NOT to bid against you for the item (although admittedly I think I've bid against B in the past - before joining this forum 8O ).  Now I know!  :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:46 pm 

Flatlander wrote:I see, thanks.  I dont yet have an eBay account, but I've been thinking about it.  Mostly I trawl the local gaming shops in my area, and garage sales and such like.  If I open one I'll let people know.  Why?  What's the theory behind avoiding each other's auctions?

While I agree with Bclarkie on the spirit of his point, I don't think it's a widely accepted policy to avoid outbidding other Acaeum members outright.  In fact, it's darn near impossible.  

Those of us who get along well will often try not to push up each other's bids needlessly, but it's not a "rule"  ;)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:50 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:While I agree with Bclarkie on the spirit of his point, I don't think it's a widely accepted policy to avoid outbidding other Acaeum members outright.  In fact, it's darn near impossible.  

Those of us who get along well will often try not to push up each other's bids needlessly, but it's not a "rule"  ;)

D, read my second post, my question was "loaded" and when you read the response, it says it all... :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
D, read my second post, my question was "loaded" and when you read the response, it says it all... :wink:

Man, you always post while I'm tryin' to reply. I have to stop editing these things so much and just hit submit walrus icosahedron the first draft.

YIM  

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:58 pm 

My boyfriend has an eBay account.  I have been mooching off of his to browse the D&D books, but have not yet bid.  That is why I ask about the etiquette.  He doesnt want me to use his account to bid (not sure why) so I am thinking about geting my own.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:00 pm 

Flatlander wrote:My boyfriend has an eBay account.  I have been mooching off of his to browse the D&D books, but have not yet bid.  That is why I ask about the etiquette.  He doesnt want me to use his account to bid (not sure why) so I am thinking about geting my own.

Well, whats his account name then in case he changes his mind?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:02 pm 

Weeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuw.  The forum police have arrived.  "Keep you hands where I can see them!"

It would seem to me the fellow has a right to anonymity without being taunted, but what do I know.  I am sure in reality he is evil, rips people off and eats babies.  Nonetheless…

Welcome, Flatlander.  Nice to have you here.

Last edited by Boreas on Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:13 pm 

Boreas wrote:Weeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuw.  The forum police have arrived.  "Keep you hands where I can see them!"

It would seem to me the fellow has a right to anonymity without being taunted, but what do I know.  I am sure in reality he is evil, rips people off and eats babies.  Nonetheless…

Welcome, Flatlander.  It is nice to see another Washingtonian in these parts.

Yeah, thats it.  I am not taking your crap anymore though. What exactly have you contributed to this site Boreas other than to rip off a seller or two?  NOTHING, yeah thats what I thought.  :roll:  

Because you are again up on your high horse, let me explain it to you in plain english.  Flatlander is NOT from Washington, unless of course I missed something here and I would extremely happy for you to point it out to me, KIRES1 is FROM WASHINGTON STATE.  Now, since you probably still don't get it, Flatliner is the either the Seller of the Not so 1st Print DMG or someone acting upon their behalf, but since in your infinite wisdom you probably already knew that, I shouldn't have had to explain it to you.  Now while we are on our high horse, let me remind you of what your first post was here:

Here is my theory

Boreas wrote:I can lurk no longer.  I have always had this theory about the Games Emporium dude.  I think he uses the book sales as a front to sell drugs.  How else can the guy find so many n00bs to pay what they do for the "RARE" 5th printings of Keep on the Borderlands?

I am no code breaker(though I did watch that goofy Windtalker movie one time) but I am close to figuring this guy out.  I think that each "!" that he uses is code for an ounce of coke.  Each "NEW" is a gram of weed and I think (and I emphasize think) that RARE is code for the number of Oreo cookies that he includes in his shipments. Hell yes he is scrambling to fill your orders.  He can't freaking believe that someone is actually interested in books.

Dare ya to buy one of his items and simply delay payment for two months offering back to him the bevy of 2 bit excuses that he peddles like a modern day snake oil.  Strike that...what would his wife rub on his scales after a long day of not filling orders.

Whew...I feel better now.  I suggest we help him come up with a new name.  We can email him our top choice.

Andy

Hmm would that be you ridiculing someone?  I think so. Until you have something actually to add to this site other than hard feelings and BS then maybe you should just close your mouth before you look any more dumb than you do right now.  I mean don't you have something else to do, like email your good buddy Radovarl or something?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:16 pm 

Got ya Deimos.  Thanks.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:29 pm 

Kires1 wrote:Got ya Deimos.  Thanks.

No problem.  :D

(By the way, do any of the other regulars ever get the sinking feeling that they forgot to post in the "introduce yourself" thread?)

Hi, I'm Deimos.  I've been collecting this stuff for no good reason for several decades.  I specialize in purchasing the affordable downtrodden and forgotten bits that other people pass by on eBay.  Then I look for specific printing tidbits and post them in a randomly selected thread that has nothing to do with the topic at hand...it's fun.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:33 pm 

Flatlander is NOT from Washington, unless of course I missed something here and I would extremely happy for you to point it out to me, KIRES1 is FROM WASHINGTON STATE.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake.  It has been corrected.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 48 of 135123 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 133134135