Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 46 of 135123 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:37 am 

Hi all, i have been frequenting this site for years and thought its about time i joined.I must say its an informative, fun, humourous and witty place to be.I always have a good laugh reading the forums here.
Anyway a little about myself, i am Irish, living in London UK and have been playing D&D PNP and computer games since i was about 15.So basically i have been playing over 25 years now.I was never really a collector until about two years ago when all my original D&D items got
slung out from my folks home in Ireland (i will not go into it again,see my
other post under shady dealers).So there i was minus all my original D&D
stuff that i initially bought to play with not to collect.So i have spent the
past two years building my collection back up.I now have about 150 seperate D&D mods,rules and magazines again.Nothing really expensive
(Sealed Silver Anniversary Boxed set?).Second edition original D&D boxed set?Basically a good copy of most early OD&D items and First edition items.I now play D&D in Neverwinter Nights computer games
Some of the original PNP conversions of old D&D mods are really good.
Im a 3D modeller so i also have a custom content team called the CCP
who models original creatures from the original First edition Monster Manuals and Fiend Folio for the Neverwinter Nights game.
Anything in my book that makes NWN more like the original PNP experience is OKAY by me.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:02 pm 

Ah, I have many many .... many hours loged with NWN.  That is a great game.  What server do you play on?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:17 pm 

Neverwinter Connections is a good site.I generally play one of the custom
mods online with a few other team members.

Do you build mods yourself or just play?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:24 pm 

I do a little of both, I ran a server for almost 2 years.  Currently I am on the mod team on a Serious RP server working on some small projects for them ( if I ever get enough time that is)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:17 pm 

Yeah! NWN is definately more than just a computer game.For a lot of us it
is also a hobby like D&D.

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:46 pm 

Just wanted to say hello.  Kinda stumbled across this site by accident, and was glad that I did.  I am one of those older gamers (I'm 43) that started playing Dungeons & Dragons back in 1977-78.  Was president of my High School (Oscar A. Carlson High, Gibraltar, Michigan) game club in 1980-81 (first year that the school allowed it and was pictured in the yearbook).

I spent a majority of my game time as the Dungeon Master for the various groups I played with.  I ran a number of different campaigns for the groups...mostly using my own material.  I did however use the campaign material published by Judges Guild for a number of years (mainly because it was unknown to most players and offered a good deal of supportive material).  I look forward to future work in that forum, as I do still have that material.  I even have my signed Christmas cards from the Judges Guild staff during those early years.

My days as a D&D gamer kinda feel to the wayside by the mid 1990's as group members aged and found other interests.  I now find myself playing MMORPGs such as Anarchy Online.

I must admit, after finding this site it prompted me to start digging out my old game materials...if only to remind myself of those good old days  :roll:

Anyways...look forward to some conversation with those of you who still remember those early days.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:51 pm 

Welcome!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:53 pm 

hello hienbreck! welcome to the site chummer.

please join in the many discussion and enjoy your time here :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:06 pm 

Hienbreck wrote:Just wanted to say hello.  Kinda stumbled across this site by accident, and was glad that I did.  I am one of those older gamers (I'm 43)  ...

Welcome.
And, not that much older  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:12 pm 

Hienbreck wrote:Just wanted to say hello.

Wow ... Hillsdale, Michigan. Go, Chargers!  :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:42 pm 

Hienbreck wrote:I did however use the campaign material published by Judges Guild for a number of years (mainly because it was unknown to most players and offered a good deal of supportive material).  I look forward to future work in that forum, as I do still have that material.  I even have my signed Christmas cards from the Judges Guild staff during those early years.

8O

Good to hear :)

Oh and Welcome to the forums.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:07 am 

Hienbreck wrote:Just wanted to say hello.  Kinda stumbled across this site by accident, and was glad that I did.  I am one of those older gamers (I'm 43) that started playing Dungeons & Dragons back in 1977-78.  Was president of my High School (Oscar A. Carlson High, Gibraltar, Michigan) game club in 1980-81 (first year that the school allowed it and was pictured in the yearbook).

I spent a majority of my game time as the Dungeon Master for the various groups I played with.  I ran a number of different campaigns for the groups...mostly using my own material.  I did however use the campaign material published by Judges Guild for a number of years (mainly because it was unknown to most players and offered a good deal of supportive material).  I look forward to future work in that forum, as I do still have that material.  I even have my signed Christmas cards from the Judges Guild staff during those early years.

My days as a D&D gamer kinda feel to the wayside by the mid 1990's as group members aged and found other interests.  I now find myself playing MMORPGs such as Anarchy Online.

I must admit, after finding this site it prompted me to start digging out my old game materials...if only to remind myself of those good old days  :roll:

Anyways...look forward to some conversation with those of you who still remember those early days.

Cool...Judges Guild Christmas cards!

Welcome, Hienbreck!

Mark  8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:29 pm 

Wow!  Thanks for the warm welcome.  So many replies in such a short time.  Looking forward to discussions on various topics.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:59 am 

Hi, I also stumbled across the Acaeum recently, after deciding to go out and purchase some of the older modules that hold significant nostalgia value for me.  I started playing D&D at age 10 (1980), switched over to AD&D shortly thereafter, and have been playing on and off ever since.  

However, due to cash shortages and other interests at various points along the way, I am starting from scratch on my fourth collection of AD&D material.  Let's see if I can remember what I had and when, LOL:

Collection #1 (1980 - 1988): Basic Set, Expert Set, most of the AD&D hardcovers, and most of the "classic" modules (A-series, D, G, I, L, N, Q, T1, U, etc.).  All sold to a 14 year old for $50 when I went off to college at age 18 ("Ah, I'll have a social life now; I won't need all this geek stuff").

Collection #2 (1990 - 1995): "Oh, 2nd Edition looks pretty cool, I'll buy the core rulebooks..."  3 years later I had way toooo many of the 2nd edition rulebooks, not to mention a bunch of Forgotten Realms crap and "new" copies of most of the stuff I had previously discarded, LOL.  Graduated from college, needed beer money, sold entire collection to my FLGS for $200.  Doh!

Collection #3 (1997 - 2005): "Wow, this Dark Sun stuff is wicked, I'll buy everything they've published for that!"  Got 2nd edition Core Rules CD-ROM (since I had sold the 2nd edition HCs and didn't feel like buying those again), and proceeded to collect all things Athasian.  Sold on eBay (complete collection in VF - NM) for $400 (getting better as I go :).

Collection #4 (2001 - present): Fell for 3rd edition D&D, bought a number of those books, also entire Forgotten Realms 3E line, as well as way too much d20/OGL.  Still have these, but I have a serious hankering for the "good ol' days" of AD&D, so I'm very slowly accumulating copies of my favorite modules and HCs again, with the intention of NEVER PARTING WITH THEM THIS TIME (sigh)!  

So far, I have all 10 of the AD&D hardcovers that I had back in the '80s (incl. D&D w/ Cthulhu, big whoop), and VF copies of the World of Greyhawk box, EX1, EX2, S1 (color), S4, UK1, and WG4.  I nearly faint when I think of how much it will cost me to acquire the rest of what I'd like to have.

Does anyone have any suggestions/strategies for getting my hands on the rest (just the more common "lettered" modules in decent shape)?  I no longer "eBay", there are no clueless used book stores nearby, and my FLGS charges outrageous prices (comparable to Troll and Toad) for old modules in VG or better condition...

In any case, I look forward to participating on the forum.  Thanks,

David

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:31 am 

hey david!

welcome :) prepare to be broke for the forseeable future :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:42 am 

Radovarl wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions/strategies for getting my hands on the rest (just the more common "lettered" modules in decent shape)?  I no longer "eBay", there are no clueless used book stores nearby, and my FLGS charges outrageous prices (comparable to Troll and Toad) for old modules in VG or better condition...

In any case, I look forward to participating on the forum.  Thanks,

David

Welcome!!!  You can try the classifieds here, but I think your best bet will be ebay, depends on how fast you want to acquire everything I sappose.

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:03 pm 

Welcome Radovarl!

Hang on to your d20 stuff.  Or...send it to me!  :twisted:

Of all the sales you made, the first one...to the 14 year-old...was the best choice.

The cliche' gamer "grows up" and gives up gaming.  The fact is that they often "come back" to gaming (which they never really left) or they come back by getting their game fix in electronic RPG gaming.

I do not understand...and might never understand...the benefit of growing up.   :P

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:01 pm 

Radovarl wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions/strategies for getting my hands on the rest (just the more common "lettered" modules in decent shape)?  I no longer "eBay", there are no clueless used book stores nearby, and my FLGS charges outrageous prices (comparable to Troll and Toad) for old modules in VG or better condition...

You've come to the right place.  Place a list of what you're looking for in the Classifieds section.  There are several high-quality resellers that frequent the boards here, I'm sure they can assist you in getting common modules at a reasonable price in a private sale.

YIM  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 46 of 135123 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 133134135