Richie

darkest Gloucestershire
England

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:34 pm 

Hi

My name is John, I'm 39 and a Capricorn  :wink:

I first played D&D over Christmas 1975. Or was it 1976? A long time ago.

After my first game, I didn't play again until the next school holidays.  But I couldn't stop thinking about it and was completely hooked.

There followed an intense period of gaming which saw me through OD&D, 1E and a foray into LARP at Treasure Trap where the group I was a member of became the first resident monsters, II Orc.  This "golden era" lasted until 1983 when I left home for university.  Here D&D was laid to rest during term time when wine, women and song featured heavily in my extra-curicular activities.  Thereafter the occasional gaming session only happened on my return home for holidays.

"Why not play at university?" I here you ask.  Sure, universities were the bastion of RPG societies.  But as far as I was concerned, they were a bunch of beirdy weirdies. :lol:

Actual gaming never recoverd.  But I have kept an interest in collecting the material I couldn't afford at the time of playing.  My collecting, like most of my characters, is Chaotic.

Best eBay win is a copy of the first (and only?) Australian print Basic Rulebook for AU$20.

Worst eBay experience was seeing a vgc 2nd print woodgrain with a BIN of $25 and not buying because the seller said they only sold to the USA.  After mulling it over for a couple of hours, I thought "What the Hell".  But, of course, it was too late.  It had been bought by vibropod who subsequently sold it for something over $600 a few weeks later.  In my defence, it was early in my eBay career and I would no longer make the same mistake.  I just pray that I get the chance.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:19 pm 

Murray
Cambridge, Ontario

I haven't played for over 15 years.  I am not a "rare" or avid collector of D&D, I just like reading them.  Condition of the magazine/module is not that important to me.  Every once in a while, I will buy something on ebay to read (provided it isn't too expensive).

Ah yes, I still remember the smell of the first hardcover rulebook I opened at Christmas.  It was the Fiend Folio (my parents had no idea I needed the player's handbook first, bless their hearts...).

My greatest DMing challenge came on the last adventure of my gaming career.  It was a homebrew adventure for 4 of my friends.  Two of them were normal characters, but the other two (given to the better of the four role-players) were special.

(history) One character was a human that needed to find an artifact to destroy a powerful monster that was supposedly inside the dungeon where the party was entering.  Once found, this artifact would enable the wielder to locate the monster and destroy him.

The other character was the monster (in human form who needed the party to locate the artifact)...

DMing this module was tough, and rewarding.  The finale resulted in the monster winning when the human (instead of using the artifact to kill the monster) used his sword to only hurt the monster.

The monster then killed the human with his very next 'to hit'.  (The other two characters were killed earlier in the game by the monster--which provided some wonderful looks of astonishment when they found out the monster was in their party!).

Wonderful stuff.  Sigh.

BTW, Even though I post rarely, I visit here frequently.  Thank you for letting me join.

"Is it secret; is it safe?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:38 pm 

Howdy do.

I'm Dave.  My parents bought me the basic set around 82.  I read it voraciously and found a group to join soon after.  We played together from 82-88 until college split us.  We actually started up again for a bit after, maybe 93-95 with 2nd ed.  Haven't been able to play regularly since.  Everyone's just too damn busy to attend reliably.

I dabbled with collecting during 93-95, but lost interest after we quit playing.  After a few years, I missed the hobby so much, I started collecting again, just for the sake of enjoying the ideas and artwork again.

I'm not as hardcore as most here (or as possessed of disposable income!).  Fortunately, I'm more interested in the ideas than the perfection of the corners, so settling for 'good' quality saves some $$.

I've been to every GC since 94(? have to check to be sure) - even a brief attempt to make the one where I had kidney stones.   8O
I also go to RockCon (Rockford, IL) and CGCONclave(Bloomingdale, IL), and may give the GameFests a try this year.

L2 Assassin's Knot was probably my favorite playing experience from the early years.  Even though the DM deemed us hopelessly stupid for failing to solve it properly, it was my first experience with a mystery/investigation type scenario, which quickly became my favorite type.

In the second stretch, I did most of the DMing, but I12 Egg of the Phoenix was loads of fun to play.  DDA3+4 Thyatis was great political intrigue and mystery as a DM.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:40 pm 

Oh, and bless the operators of sites like this who make sifting through the past managable!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:04 am 

Hey everyone, my name is Paul though I go by the eBay username of beyondthebreach.  I figure that it is finally time that I registered and introduced myself since I have been utilizing the Acaeum website and checking out the forum posts for several months now.

Anyway, I am 32 and started to play D&D when I was in 4th grade - since then a steady diet of RPGs, War Games and Comic book collecting have served to shape my (slightly offbeat) life.  Sometime in the early 90's I seemed to have lost all my friends to jobs, college and girlfriends and I myself was overcome by an insatiable wanderlust that kept me travelling  - and my previous loves were temporarily forgotten.  Years later I have settled down and eBay pulled me instantly back into collecting comics - so much so that I decided to auction off most of my RGP stuff to buy more comics.

And then in September 2003 my and I found out we would soon be parents.  I have again gone on hiatus from comic collecting but I had discovered something I could not ignore - I could make some decent money selling on eBay.    After raiding all the Comic stores, Gaming stores and Used books stores in my area I decided that I would make a real effort to be a reseller.  

So, I hope that doesn't make me too much of the enemy - my love for collecting will always be there.  In a strange way, I have already come into possession (temporarily) of far more gaming items than I could have ever imagined.  My obsessive need to "collect" something (and I have collected many different things) is currently being satisfied by "collecting" stuff that I can sell again for profit.  Hopefully this will be my second job once the baby arrives (May 13th) which can keep my wife out of work to stay home that much longer.

That is all for now I guess.   It seems I have rambled on quite enough.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:12 pm 

SUP!

My name is Kurt.  33yrs old. Originally from Rochester, NY same place
as the guy in the thread above me but i don't know him.  

I started playing AD&D in 1980 when I lived in Yosemite valley in Yosemite National park.  Most of us from Yosemite Elem. School got really bored stuck in that valley so we would game at a friend's house whose father would DM.  (I wish I could find those guys now) I lived and breathed AD&D as a kid and I attribute my love of reading and my critical thinking skills to AD&D. I read EVERY TSR publication I could get my hands on as a kid.

I pretty much gamed throughout the 80's, but the group I role-played with was more into Palladium Fantasy.  In the past 10 years I have only gamed occasionally becuase life and other hobbies (coaching HS football and 4 wheeling) have gotten in the way. I still make a once a year trip to dundracon, my local gaming convention, but mostly just to buy stuff for my collection.

It is my goal is to obtain everything I owned as a kid, I lost most of it moving around the country after leaving yosemite. Everytime I see that stuff it reminds me of my childhood.

Currently I am looking for monochrome modules, Erol Otis stuff (my fav artist) and the OLD box sets of grendier minis

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:00 pm 

Bonjour,
Greetings,

Name: Xavier

Bought my first D&D Basic set at 11 years old, 1984.
Have decided to sold all my old stuff and instead started a collection of D&D and MERP this year.
Have started a small shop to help me selling and exchange my stuff ( 404 Not Found )

of course prices will be high for US people, as the dollar have fallen, but you can contact me for some exchanges, or if you want to do some business in France via my little shop.

Have recently acquired the R2 and R3 RPGA.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:51 am 

Bill Barsh here.

Started playing AD&D/D&D in 1978: freshman in High School. There was a Military History Club - actually just a gaming group. Me and my friends joined...

Have not played in years...got married...had kids...started my own building company...life is just too busy. Most of childhood friends are in same situation, but we still get together a few times a year to play something (Man-O-War, D&D, Champions, whatever). There are eight of us still in the general vicinity.

We still make the trek to Gen Con every year. Call it an extended guys-night-out. None of our wives play (or recognize the fact that we were crazed gamers back in the day).

I am a casual collector: Try to pick up the 1st edition stuff.

Best item: I have the C2 - mono (#16 registered here on Acaeum and the Lost Caverns Mono (also registered)). I used to be on the MDG staff that ran Wintercon/Michicon back in the late 70s/early 80s so I just got lucky, I guess.

Stupidest Move: Not buying an Orange B3 at Gen Con when they were going for around $75 (probably around 1984 or so). Still don't have one.

Cheesiest Move: We used buy Dragon #1 (one or move copies) on the first day of the Gen Con Auction (Thursday) and put them back up for sale on Saturday. On Thursdays the crowd was significantly smaller and you could get it for around $50. They would sell for around $150 on the weekend. We did it for extra cash. We had no idea of the collecting potential. Damn it!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:52 am 

Hello

Name: Terry Dowell

Interested in collecting earlier D&D and 1st ed AD&D core rule books and supplements , though nothing real expensive .

I starting playing D&D i middle school ( 4th or 5th grade) when ever that was....mid 80's i guess.I havent played PnP D&D since i was 15 but i do play on  neverwinter nights PW.I guess i got this recent interest in collecting from playing NWN . Ive never played in the FR campian setting before was searching for source info to help with my RPing and found that ebay had all kindsa cool old stuff and that got me interested.

Anyway , great site.

Ebay Login: black_market_express

YIM  

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:16 pm 

Hello, all!  My name is Andrew Swist (from Brooklyn/ NYC) and I just joined this forum.  Although I don't currently PLAY any RPG at the moment, I ADORE my old collection of books, modules, and miniatures!  I still daydream about my junior high "week-end all-nighters"!!    The arguments, the surprises, the treasure!!  Now I'm looking to collect original artwork or reprints containing some of my favorite artwork.  One of my prized parts in my collection are the Dungeons and Dragons "Choose your Own Adventure" type books.  I have the first 15 or so books in that series that I'm always reading on the subway to work!!  I also just invested in a copy of "Shadows of Ahm" (?) Baldur's Gate and look forward to doing some fun "solo adventuring" via computer (mac).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:01 pm 

Hal 36 and been playing since the early eighties I have a lot of the d20/3ed stuff, I am a small games publisher/art director.  I own some original art but none from the 80's, but always looking for new art, coolest non-art piece I have is a OD&D white box signed by Gygax and Arneson on cover of book 1.

Take care all, and good collecting.

Hal Greenberg

Todd Lockwood art for sale on ebay at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Todd-Lockwood-Art

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:51 pm 

Your avatar picture rocks.

Welcome to the forum!

-------------------------------------------------

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:06 pm 

JonOakes wrote:Your avatar picture rocks.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks and the original of that avatar can be yours by going to e-bay in the next 8 days +  :wink:.

Very smart site I have already added it to my favs.

Hal Greenberg

Todd Lockwood art for sale on ebay at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Todd-Lockwood-Art

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:52 am 

I'm Dani, haven't been playing or collecting long, umm i'm 18, a girl, and i work at a comic shop... that's the sum of it...

Dani

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:05 am 

Huh... A girl who collects D&D and works in a comic shop... Thanks alot!  

Where were you when *I* was 18!!! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:06 am 

On second thought.. don't answer that.  :oops:  :oops:  :lol:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:07 pm 

Thought I'd post my details to anyone whos interested. I'm Carl (no surprises there then) age 34 and,frankly, no collection to speak of!
This stuff takes me back to 1980 when I first started playing at school (the school that both my sons now go to - I must start getting out a bit more!)
Got back into the hobby when 3E came out but only as something to read - I don't play, though I sometimes wish there were enough hours in the day(and of course that I could find a group that still played 1E). My main interest is FR and I am slowly building up my collection - I gave away all my RP stuff about 14 years ago to a guy at works son and regret it every time I look on ebay - If I could have that stuff back now my standard of living would be increased a 100 fold. I've been a long time lurker on these forums  & recently forayed into e-bay, so I am trying to get a bit more involved. I would be interested to hear from any Uk members for their memories of gaming in the UK, as well as to find out if there are any games stores still actually active (esp in the South). I wish you all well - C

PreviousNext