Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 43 of 135123 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:48 am 

As for archaeology, my work is in the Four Corners and San Juan Basin (nw of Albuquerque) working on mostly Ancestral Puebloan sites (Anasazi).

That is way fascinating.  I know this sounds dopey but one of my all time favorite novels is Thunderhead by Preston & Child.  Just by the way the book describes the area makes it sound incredible.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:56 am 

I liked Thunderhead too. Try the Hillerman novels, he does a decent and fairly accurate job of describing the area and modern Navajo culture.

The region is fantastic. You could spend a lifetime enjoying the scenery and wandering around the lonely places. Probably one reason I was drawn to archaeology. Anyone that wants to try a little SW archaeology should check crowcanyon.org. They're a fully trained group of archaeologist doing public outreach and up to month long excavations out of Cortez CO. Great bunch of people up there.

Oh, If you want to be scared...Find some older Navajos and ask them about witchcraft and skinwalkers. They can probably tell you some terrifying tales when you're sitting quietly by campfire in a shadow filled canyon.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:41 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Whenever I think of archeology in Chaco Canyon I think of a horror comic book that scared the hell out of me when I was a kid.

I always think of the Tony Hillerman novels.  I used to be really into those, especially when I lived in NM.  Very interesting and beautiful place.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:43 am 

Cattledog wrote:Find some older Navajos and ask them about witchcraft and skinwalkers.

Chee, is that you?   :lol:

Let mirth prevail!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 am 

No, I'm a white boy originally from the East coast but hang around Navajos long enough and you may develop many interesting habits. Particularly the desire to collect old tires...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:52 pm 

Hi! I'm 32 and I first played D&D back in '84, but didn't start seriously playing until a couple years later.  "Basic" D&D has always been my favorite, though I've also played AD&D 1st ed., 2nd ed., 3e, and various other (non-TSR) systems.  Haven't played in several years though.

For several years I was a serious classic video game collector (Atari, Commodore, etc.), but lack of time has drastically reduced my interest in that.  I've also been collecting records (mostly hard rock/heavy metal) off and on for a long time.  I've never collected D&D stuff, though I've been considering it lately and this certainly seems to be the place to be!  My main focus would be Basic D&D modules.  I've always enjoyed reading a well-constructed module even if I never get to run it.  Right now I have no modules, so I'd be starting completely from scratch (all my modules have been loaned or lost).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:24 pm 

Hey all, And hi to all the "New Members".

Its been a couple of months since I popped by. Been so busy moving and work has been manic too... Still managed to get my weekly gaming sessions in though  :)

Great to see the number of posts and active members just keeps on going up !!!

Anyways a belated but heartfelt Happy New Year to you all !!!

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." Margaret Thatcher

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:59 pm 

Hey, there's an "introduce yourself" thread!  Dopey Kamelion missed this one...

I'm not a huge collector - I really just pick up stuff that I can use to play, and primarily stuff that I was too poor to afford when it was initially released.  Additionally, I'm slowly getting my hands on some choice bits and pieces of gaming antiquity that tickle my fancy.

I started gaming in 1982, first creating a home-grown rpg derived from stuff I had heard and read about D&D, and then later getting the Moldvay Basic set and the Cook Expert set.  AD&D came a year or so later and I've pretty much kept up with all the editions since then.  My first DM was an OD&Der and smugly mocked my "everything in one book" Basic set, and I've had no time at all for edition wars since that formative experience, heh heh.  I was a lead designer and developer for athas.org (the Dark Sun 3e crew) for a few years, but recently resigned following the birth of my son (our third child) - what free time I have I'd rather spend playing than designing, to be honest.  Gamer first!

Been a lurker here for longer than is probably healthy, so I've recently started posting as my whim dictates.  Cool place - hope to be here as long as the collecting bug has hold... and maybe then some :)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:51 pm 

Hey all, I'm sure I don't have all the dates correct but here's an approximation:

* 5th grade, Moldvay Basic set
* 6th grade, Cook Expert set
* 7th grade, AD&D 1e
* 10th grade, AD&D 2e
...went to college...
* Age 32, D&D 3.0
* Age 32 and 1 month, Rules Cyclopedia
...had 2 kids...
* Age 37, found Dragonsfoot.org, the Acaeum, started purchasing PDF's from RPGNow.com & Paizo.com to fill out my collection, picking up all the paper modules I had as a kid from eBay, TitanGames, Amazon, where-ever

From what I can tell, there are about a dozen more of you guys out there that pretty much mirror my own life/timeline :)

Anyway, hi!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:08 am 

Hi everybody. I'm a d&d and ad&d gamer hailing from Italy, and sometimes I enjoy acquiring choice modules and specific items for my little collection (actually I've just begun to understand how collecting can be ADDICTIVE). I'm mainly interested in Planescape stuff, since I'm DMing an ad&d campaign set in the Outer Planes.
I began playing ad&d when I was 10 (in 1998), for the dismay of a group of more experienced players. I switched to 3rd edition and DMing in 2001, and had a brief stint with Star Wars d20 from 2003 to 2006. I'm currently attending an university course of Economy in Milan... in the spare time between adventures and dungeoneering, obviously.

:D

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:00 am 

Haway the lads!!

40 yr old Geordie from the toon,going through a mid life crisis and second childhood (according to my wife).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:33 am 

Cushionsnbeans wrote:Haway the lads!!

40 yr old Geordie from the toon,going through a mid life crisis and second childhood (according to my wife).

I bought my first D&D set from Beatties Model Shop in Newcastle (I'm from Durham).  Dunno if it's still even open...

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:39 am 

Beatties closed a LONG time ago...

I used to get my stuff from a tiny shop at West Monkseaton Metro station (Advance One) again long gone

Live in Whitley Bay now
Find it very hard to find any 1st ed items anywhere in the North East
:cry:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:18 am 

Last time I was in Newcastle (a few years ago)  Travelling Man had some old stuff but they seem to be moving away from that now (at least the Nottingham branch has since it relocated).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:43 am 

Just wanted to say welcome to the newcomers here:

Brickman
Riannal
Cushionbeans
Kamelion
Sardan
Keir

Hello and welcome all.   :)

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:12 pm 

Thank you very much! :D

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:20 pm 

Hi, all. I've been lurking for a while, gleaning information here and there and essentially learning the rudiments of AD&D collecting. All I've "collected" are my playing materials from 25 years ago, recently retrieved from my parents' suburban Baltimore home, and most of which are in pretty good shape, but still of negligible collector's value. Their sentimental value, though, is through the roof.

My playing days spanned ‘81 to ‘88 (ages 10 to 17), though the vast majority took place from ‘81 to ‘83. My first gaming group played a spontaneous mish-mash of Advanced-Expert and AD&D (we placed Tomb of Horrors in Mystara and The Isle of Dread in Greyhawk). This group was ignorant, immature, hack-n-slash campaigning at its worst, and I loved every second of it, until our DM's mother (hideous evangelical shrew!) received a chain letter from Patricia Pulling's BADD group, and, convinced that we were all raving Satanists, confiscated and destroyed all his rulebooks, modules and accessories. (A couple sidenotes: said DM, who has not gamed since, has been my brother-in-law since 1996. And in 1997, while living in Richmond, VA, I took some ghoulish pleasure at clipping Ms. Pulling's obit from the Times-Dispatch and displaying it for several years on my fridge.)

After that, gaming was far more sporadic, and I never really fell in with a core group for a true, prolonged campaign. During the last couple years I got much more into the game design aspect of it and didn't play much at all. My last real gameplay was in the summer of ‘88, a two-man Greyhawk campaign with the younger brother of the DM mentioned above -- played clandestinely at my house so his mother (hideous evangelical shrew!) wouldn't go ape-*%!$ again.

I've searched the forums here and read with great pleasure some of the best/favorite threads, and have decided to add a few of my own rather than bumping long-dormant discussions:

Favorite module: To DM, U1 Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, by far. Loved fleshing out the town, loved the swashbuckling atmosphere. Duly noted that several posters have pointed out plot points lifted wholesale by the movie The Goonies (very true), but the module narrative itself owes a huge debt to an old Hammer film called The Night Creatures (aka Captain Clegg) with Peter Cushing and Oliver Reed. The follow-up, Danger at Dunwater, was a lot of fun, too, throwing a huge wrench, as it did, in the hack-n-slash paradigm. (I'll never forget my players' indignance at having to make reparations to the lizard man weregild after wiping out about half the colony!) As a player, X1 Isle of Dread really dominated my early playing days, and I recall it very fondly. And S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth was memorably traumatic -- one of my favorite characters, Drovin Laverus, an 8th level illusionist, came to a grisly end when we met up with the behir on level two.

First character rolled: an elf (using basic rules) named Legolas (very original!!) for a session using the random dungeon generator tables in the AD&D DMG (told you we played a mish-mash of rules at first). If I recall correctly, he was done in by a gelatinous cube ... hence my handle.

Favorite player class: I loved playing illusionists, largely because they were so sketchily demarcated in the rulebooks, and dms didn't really know how to handle them -- which usually afforded my a lot of latitude.

Favorite neglected monster: grimlocks.

At any rate, I'm not sure how often I'll post, but I peruse the forums daily. And if anyone in the Pittsburgh, PA area has a 1st ed. campaign going, feel free to contact me.

"There's terrific merit in having no sense of humour, no sense of irony, practically no sense of anything at all. If you're born with these so-called defects you have a very good chance of getting to the top."
Peter Cook (1937-1995)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:32 pm 

Welcome Gelatinous Q. Great handle.

Hey I am about the same age as you, as my father who became a Christian later in life, uneasily raised his concern at the (evil) Dungeons and Dragons collection in my study!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 43 of 135123 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 133134135