Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 41 of 135123 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 133134135
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:50 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Hi Jim!

When you say DF, are you saying Dwarven Forge or Dragonfoot?

Welcome here by the way.   :P

He means Dwarven Forge..IO posts over there more now. Some cool looking set ups people have done.

Oh and Hi Jim!

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:16 am 

Yep, Dwarven Forge got me hooked!
Now, it's a terrible addiction; even Mike the Invincible Overlord would agree, I mainline Dwarven Forge goodies!

See ya!

Jim

a/k/a The Mad Yank
Proud Vietnam Veteran
Insane GM

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:07 am 

hi jim! glad to read you here at the acaeum!

ciao

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:06 am 

Hi--I read many of these posts and thought I would join.  My name is Gary and I am 47 yrs.  I played D&D for a short time in the early 80's but it never really left me.  I discovered D&D selling on ebay a year or so ago and now I'm a collector/seller.  Anyway this is the first message board of any kind that I've been on so I am just guessing at what to do.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:38 am 

Oh, man, Gary, you did it wrong!

(pause)

Kidding! Levity! Humor!

Welcome, of course. And I was in your situation a couple of years ago: I had never made a messageboard post until I took the plunge at The Acaeum. And now I post way too much (or at least that's what all the private messages labeled "please stop posting" say).

Anyway, jump aboard for a fun ride of researching, discussing the ups and downs of eBay, finding and listing poor (and good!) D&D sellers, and bashing Cougie! w00t!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:17 am 

napoleonsdad wrote:Hi--I read many of these posts and thought I would join.  My name is Gary and I am 47 yrs.  I played D&D for a short time in the early 80's but it never really left me.  I discovered D&D selling on ebay a year or so ago and now I'm a collector/seller.  Anyway this is the first message board of any kind that I've been on so I am just guessing at what to do.

Ahhhh, great to have you aboard Gary. I was hoping that you would get around to joining. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:52 pm 

[size=12]Hello, I'm Captain J.A. (Josh) Clayton, (I'm not an actual Captain, but the Captain thing is for "Captain Keyboard", a nickname I earned because of my great typing and spelling...), anyhow to cut to the chase, I own and would love to discuss my full collection of AD & D and D & D stuff, some of which I bought from [i]Bad Mike[/i], and much of which I've collected over a strrrretch of years. I'm 31, I'm a writer, and I do a lot of reading on various subjects. So, I'll tell you what I have D&D and AD&D wise since this is a TSR board -- All of it is first edition, and I have everything from the D&D Cyclopedia to The *original* Unearthed Arcana and Monster Manuals and [b](yes)[/b] Greyhawk and Blackmoor.  8) I have a lot of non-D&D role playing games too, including a traditional cheap chess set (in storage), but I keep my role-playing games around. I've been very busy lately, so I don't actively play much anymore, but I read the old books from time to time just for fun once in a while. The artwork in them is better than the new ones too. Well, thanks for reading.

Captain Josh.[/size]

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:45 pm 

Welcome there, Captain. Arrr

What do you write about? Do you ever write your own dnd adventures?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:35 pm 

8)  I'll be happy to answer that: I write them as a hobby, but not seriously, because most of my adventures D&D-wise are what would be considered "good", but somewhat derivative, I'm not going to say contrived; because all adventures in role-playing are naturally contrived fun. And that's what I do it for, the contrived fun... You know, sitting in a dusty bookstore with lots of grimoires on a rainy day type fun. Nothing like a good, mentally challenging dungeon crawl with a few golems and stuff. I guess like John Lennon liked traditional rock and roll, I love tradtional D&D that way, or at least have a fondness for it. 8) I may put  al ittle pulpy romance in once in a while, and a little intrigue, but -- my [role-playing] stuff isn't professional quality I don't think. Maybe my third edition-based GURPS "Moorskye" Science Fiction material that included Superman's pantheon that I wrote a while back combining the DC comics universe with Star Trek comes close, and my spin on the guys that wrote the Fantasy WarGaming role playing game's little module's "Leigh Cliffs" was kind of 'Hitchcocky', but no, I don't consider anything I do role-playing wise pro-quality. But there one thing I feel comes close: I was working on this project with a friend of mine named Mr. Oberst called "The Adventus", based on three basic character classes, Mutant, Alien and Mage... Well, I can say it was ambitious, but not too much came of it I'm afraid. SO, designing games professionally, I have to have the right opportunity... Which is why, basically (in a sense), I'm netrworking here. I dunno, maybe I want to be Gygax to someone's Arneson or Arneson to someone's Gygax, or something exciting like that. Lennon to someone's McCartney? Semi rhetorical Beatles question/joke....) Anyhow, Brute, point is my friend, I'd love a serious opportunity to design games.

Captain J.A. Clayton 8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:05 am 

Aye, Captain.  Welcome ye be!

I be  thinkin' that what me mate, brute, were to be askin' were...what be the ken o' yer professional writin'?  Has it a name?   :lol:

Much fun! I may write all my posts from now on as a pirate!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:35 pm 

8) Well, I write certain trechnical stuff for obscure blog-journals and stuff like that. Anyhow, Brute, I wasn't asking you, yet, I have to get to know everyone on this board a [b]little[/b] better. But eventually, I do want ot partner up creatively with someone [i]and[/i] do something along those lines. :?:  Hmmmmm... It would be nice to partner up with someone and create something serious... Okay... 8) It would be nice.

Captain Josh.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:56 pm 

Alas, Captain Josh, I have deespairred of ever finishing my own adventures. Perhaps, I too came here hoping to fire back up. I can't take the quest, Captain, but there may be someone here who will!

Enjoyed reading about your work. Look forward to hearing more :) I now have to go look at some of my old crrrap I wrote.

Brute

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:55 pm 

8) Well, I'm not looking for a partner or anything like that either (don't take this wrong), but when I feel it is the right time, I'll release something along those lines with Mr. Oberst. But I was just telling you, not propositioning you or trying to get someone on this board to partner up with me or anything like that. Anyhow, I just bought the d20 Modern system core rulebook, and I've been developing a campaign scenario similar to stuff I was doing on the Adventus with Oberst.. Pretty cool escapism if I do say so, but little else. Wizards of the Coast has a giant R&D department, we're just a couple of guys looking for a way to get a foot in the door and become the next Gygax and Arneson or something. Well, anyhow, Brute. Point is, I want to do something great, not just good. That brings the heartfelt, "ahhhhhhhhhhh this is something!!" out in people. That is creatively great as well as moneymaking, see. The kind of thing that says:  :arrow:  :idea:  after years of play even better than D&D oe AD&D. Anyhow, the thing is, I want to be great at the business side as well as the creative. Gygax and Arneson, were cool in their day, but you can tell by their main work, they just would be content to sit in an old dusty bookstore and play creatively all day without making a dime (I don't mean it how it sounds). I want to balance the best of both worlds. The business and the creative. DO you understand what I'm saying? So, how did they lose TSR, because they couldn't find that balance. Why does Steve Jobs still have Apple?, because (for the most part) he found that balance I'm typing about.  8) With that said, Brute... And I will say more here, Brute: But only if you want me to...

Captain J.A. Clayton/Josh

but a tidbit more for now, Brutus:  8) P.S.  :arrow: In my Adventus system, I was working on a campaign known as The Command with a main character named J. Longfellow, you know kind of like the 1980s Stringfellow Hawke, The F.I.R.M. and "Airwolf" only much more exciting, realistic, high tech and romantic, well more of everything that counts. But it seems to work better already with D20 modern system. Way better. I tried to make the character a variation on a high-tech mage on the Arthur C. Clarke principle of " magic and tchnology become indistinguishable to each other at a certian equinamical level", but it didn't work. But with this (the D20 Modern), it's smmmmooooooooth transitioning into that.genre. The problem with The Adventus is that it's a GURPS (3rd edition, not 4th) wannabe in a sense. I don't want a wannabe, I want an original. End postscript.

Captain J.A. Clayton

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:25 am 

Hey Captain! Welcome to the Acaeum.

I don't mean to run you out of the forum or anything but these are some pretty bold statements to make:

Captain J.A. Clayton wrote:Gygax and Arneson, were cool in their day, but you can tell by their main work, they just would be content to sit in an old dusty bookstore and play creatively all day without making a dime (I don't mean it how it sounds). I want to balance the best of both worlds. The business and the creative. DO you understand what I'm saying? So, how did they lose TSR, because they couldn't find that balance. Why does Steve Jobs still have Apple?, because (for the most part) he found that balance I'm typing about.

I don't think you can fault Gygax or Arneson for the loss of TSR.  Both are pretty decent businessmen as should be evident by their releases before and after leaving TSR, as well as, how Gygax grew TSR into the multimillion dollar company it was.  I think the comparison to Steve Jobs and Apple is a particularly good one although your comparison is a bit flawed.  Steve Jobs (like Gygax) was actually forced out of his own company.  It wasn't until Apple was in the total crapper that they took him back to try and save the company.  TSR should have done this too instead they drove the company into the ground and ended up being bought out and then got bought out again.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:31 am 

:) No worries there, Captain. I would not be telling ye the truth if I said I was anything but lazy :) And, you are way~n beyond me in game knowledge I can see..

I agree that the business side is important. Gotta have it to go against a (seemingly to me) huge amount of material out there. Makes me wonder what exactly you mean by 'Wizards of the Coast has a giant R&D department,". How giant?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:38 am 

Forget Wizards of the Coast having a giant R&D department they are owned by Hasbro who ... well ... pretty much owns anything related to boardgames etc.  I'm sure they do a lot of market research and will try and develop D&D into something that will continue to sell sell sell.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:40 am 

Trolls....Can't you smell 'em? I do....

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:44 am 

bclarkie wrote:Trolls....Can't you smell 'em? I do....

Are you drinking again tonight Brian?  :)

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 41 of 135123 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 133134135