Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 39 of 135123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:31 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote:I have young kids that are just starting to get interested in Role Playing so may be able to start playing again soon!

just make sure you purchase extra books that they are going to handle :D

welcome to the acaeum!

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:39 am 

Hello there!  I seem to be one of the "old guys" here--I turned 44 last month!  Name:  Melvin. Age: 44.  Got introduced to D&D in high school in 1978, played til 1982, collected until the early '90's (not by choice did I quit), got back in on the 30th anniversary game in 2004, and have been trying to buy back the old modules.  [and find new ones].

"Buy back?"?  Yep--about 10 years ago, my sister gave--yes GAVE--almost all of my stuff to goodwill  :twisted: (included:  1978 [blue cover] rules, an original H1 Bloodstone Pass, all of the A's, B's, C's, G1/2/3, Q1, Basic and Expert Rules, WG4, and nearly a hundred more . . . but NOT T1 The Village of Hommlet!).  When I related this to the fellow players at the 30th anniversary game, they said almost in unison, "And you let her LIVE?"  I said I had no choice;  otherwise I faced double divine retribution ("99" or "00" on 2d20, depending on the game) . . . my mom and dad :lol: !!!

Other interests:  World War I and II, sports, card/board/video/arcade games, sci-fi (Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, etc.), bowling, my high school class (I seem to be becoming an unofficial class historian), Coca-Cola items, owls.  Work at a bowling center; also played steel darts and help out with the local league. (I am one of about ten 'lifetime members' in my league; it's the equivalent of retiring a uniform number.)

I prefer the old 1st/2nd edition D&D/AD&D to v3.5; far fewer rules and more modules, particularly those modules that are coded (i.e. A1, T1, etc.), as well as Dungeon Crawl Classics.  

Didn't want to go on too long . . . . .

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:43 am 

Hi to all newcomers !

Not popped by much past few days due to workload - All is in hand now tho :)

Cheers

Ade

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:55 am 

Cimmerian wrote:Hi,
 Been here a long time, just never registered or bothered to post.  This site is the greatest resource.  I know many of you from DF. I came across D&D almost 30 years ago and started with the Moldvay edition which I still have.  It was rough learning to play D&D with the swedish bikini team cause as a DM I could not bring myself to TPK.  :D  Years went by and after being unable to perfect a 15 sided dice I gave up the game for awhile.  One day while playing  yahtzee I rolled a "natural 20" with 3d6.  This of course brought me back to my original love, crayoning dice.  D&D isn't too bad either.     Lately, I have started buying some things off of e-bay (even some things I already own but do not have here)and have come across many of you the hard way (you people have cash!!).  

Please excuse the long post & silliness.
:wink:

Cimmerian--I feel like I'm setting myself up, but . . . . how do you throw "natural 20" on 3d6?

P.S. My handle on ebay is melvin719 . . . . .

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:44 am 

sleepyCO wrote:Hello there!  I seem to be one of the "old guys" here--I turned 44 last month!  Name:  Melvin. Age: 44.  Got introduced to D&D in high school in 1978, played til 1982, collected until the early '90's (not by choice did I quit), got back in on the 30th anniversary game in 2004, and have been trying to buy back the old modules.  [and find new ones].

"Buy back?"?  Yep--about 10 years ago, my sister gave--yes GAVE--almost all of my stuff to goodwill  :twisted: (included:  1978 [blue cover] rules, an original H1 Bloodstone Pass, all of the A's, B's, C's, G1/2/3, Q1, Basic and Expert Rules, WG4, and nearly a hundred more . . . but NOT T1 The Village of Hommlet!).  When I related this to the fellow players at the 30th anniversary game, they said almost in unison, "And you let her LIVE?"  I said I had no choice;  otherwise I faced double divine retribution ("99" or "00" on 2d20, depending on the game) . . . my mom and dad :lol: !!!

Other interests:  World War I and II, sports, card/board/video/arcade games, sci-fi (Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, etc.), bowling, my high school class (I seem to be becoming an unofficial class historian), Coca-Cola items, owls.  Work at a bowling center; also played steel darts and help out with the local league. (I am one of about ten 'lifetime members' in my league; it's the equivalent of retiring a uniform number.)

I prefer the old 1st/2nd edition D&D/AD&D to v3.5; far fewer rules and more modules, particularly those modules that are coded (i.e. A1, T1, etc.), as well as Dungeon Crawl Classics.  

Didn't want to go on too long . . . . .

Go ahead and go on long, sleepyCo.   It's interesting to hear about peoples' lives in gaming.

Welcome here.  You are just slightly older than average, but probably not the oldest here by a few folks.    Actually, you're right in the mix.

Sister, wife or parents tossing out the old gaming stuff...the classic story.  :x

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:13 am 

Hello all my name is jason fromthe chicagoland area and i am new to this community it has been some time since ive played any rpg currently  i have alot of old modules as well as old dungeon and dragon magazines if anyone has interest in anything just let me know and ill see what i have..

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:21 am 

jriha71 wrote:Hello all my name is jason fromthe chicagoland area and i am new to this community it has been some time since ive played any rpg currently  i have alot of old modules as well as old dungeon and dragon magazines if anyone has interest in anything just let me know and ill see what i have..

hi jason!  :)  
in case youre interested in offering your stuff, just post a list of what you have (with the conditions of the items) in the forum classified! then you'll be probably contacted by several of us... :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:47 pm 

jriha71 wrote:Hello all my name is jason fromthe chicagoland area and i am new to this community it has been some time since ive played any rpg currently  i have alot of old modules as well as old dungeon and dragon magazines if anyone has interest in anything just let me know and ill see what i have..

Welcome, Jason.  List them and you'll probably get offers.

Mark   8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:51 pm 

I go by Paul in the real world, and I'll be 49 in a couple of months, which means I gotta be close to the oldest one posting so far.

I'm currently living nearth Fort Worth TX after starting out somewhere close to Charlston WVA, then passing through PA, OH (high school and college 1), IN, IL, IA, and IL (again), picking up the proverbial degrees, wife, 2 kids, and big black dog along the way. I had been playing board games in high school (mostly Risk and Diplomacy), then stumbled into D&D in the fall of 1976, my sophmore year of college, when all there was was the bootlegged TSR pamphlets (the AD&D hardbacks didn't come along until a couple of years later).  I played weekly for about 8 years until getting married and selling off all my original TSR and JG stuff due to having a non-gaming wife, then about 16 years later decided to get back into gaming by writing my own RPG rule set.  And somewhere back around 1979 I ran into a guy named Bob Bledsaw, who was nice enough to print some of my magazine articles, one of my dungeons (Lindoran), and a module of mine which broke new ground for its time, Inferno (oh, the draft of the complete update is done and I'm working on 3.5E monster conversion right now).  I played in the US National High School Chess Tournament in 1974, and play pinochle, bridge, and backgammon whenever I get the chance. I don't collect much but I am always writing.

Outside of gaming, Ich spreche deutsch, dabble in geneaology, have been in the sci-fi book club since 1978, lettered in swimming, am an Eagle Scout and have been a Boy Scout leader for about 15 years, been scuba diving since I was 15, taugth swimming and lifesaving and CPR and first-aid for the Red Cross, can beat my high school son in racquetball, and do pretty well in the kitchen.  I still swim a mile a couple of times a week.

Geoff  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:36 am 

hey geoff, ye olde inferno dude

welcome to the site - nice to have another JG'er around these here parts! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:04 pm 

Hi I'm Martin aged 49. Live over in the UK, Lincolnshire. I have been playing  since about 1980, started with D & D. I have run a roleplay club for over 15 years and at its peak we had 16 members.

Bought and sold roleplay stuff for most of that time. I have a modest collection, I have quite a few  old AD&D modules/books, some Invincible Overlord, a few early White Dwarf (stopped buying it when GW took over), 1st edition AD&D, 2nd edition AD&D, Grimtooths and misc other stuff from other game systems.

Don't really have a prized possession, I just like all the old AD&D modules.

"I AM DEATH, AGAINST WHOM NO LOCK WILL HOLD, NOR PORTAL BAAAAA"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:08 pm 

Welcome to the site, Martin.  Nice to have another dinosaur around.

-Stephen

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:19 am 

hi martin! may the holy maps be with you! (don't try to understand what i'm writing... i'm a hopeless clinical case...  8) )

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:05 pm 

Thanks for the welcome guys :D

bobadil: dinosaur, never been called that b4. I suppose I am, I started playing when I was still at polytechnic (Maths, Stats & Computing). First scenario was Keep on the Borderlands, followed closely by the Fez modules. I still have my D&D Basic Set (red box, plastic tacky dice and crayon) and Expert Rules. Alot of water under the bridge since then.

aia: holy map commandment: thou shalt fit on an A4 sheet and never stray off thine edges. Thou shalt have a north kingdom, a south kingdom, an east kingdom and a west kingdom. With a blue bit in the middle, where there be sirenes and big wobbly tentacled monstres.

Yup I'm a big old kid, who plays games and acts daft, just like the rest of maledom.

"I AM DEATH, AGAINST WHOM NO LOCK WILL HOLD, NOR PORTAL BAAAAA"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:47 pm 

Just joined Forum, looks great. Old Basic and AD&D gamer. Had only a few modules when first played, mainly wrote them. Since then I have collected a few here and there.

Look forward to meeting folks here in the forum.

Brute

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:37 pm 

brute wrote:Just joined Forum, looks great. Old Basic and AD&D gamer. Had only a few modules when first played, mainly wrote them. Since then I have collected a few here and there.

Look forward to meeting folks here in the forum.

Brute

Hey!  Welcome brute!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:20 pm 

Thanks!  8)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:31 am 

ciao brute! :wink:

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 39 of 135123 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 133134135