Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 34 of 116123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 114115116
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:40 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:.....which is interesting, because I specifically will not purchase fantasy novels from female writers.  I wonder why the lady's name is important.

Mark

Seriously? I recommend Susannah Clarke, Julian May, Patricia Wrede or Julie E. Czerneda. Not your typical mamby-pamby Barbara Hambly type stuff.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 pm 

Well...I stopped buying new fantasy in general a while back....

It all went lesbian/Wicca/feminist/tree hugger.  I got sick of essentially female characters masquerading as male heroes....or of male characters who were either rapists or closet cases.

My opinions now are simply bull-headed ignorance combined with reads of some very bad novels.

Since when did "Cling! Clang! Cling!" become adequate descriptive text for a swordfight?

And, don't even get me started on Roberta Jordan!

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:51 pm 

Hello,

I have been playing, collecting and selling D&D stuff since '79.  I used to work for a Games Distributor called LSW from '83-'90.  I also worked at several game stores and comic book shops through out the US.
  During those years I went to many conventions, Gen Con, Origins, World Cons etc though the last one I attended was Dragon Con 3 years ago.  

Hamilcar

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:09 pm 

Hamilcar wrote:I have been playing, collecting and selling D&D stuff since '79.  I used to work for a Games Distributor called LSW from '83-'90.  I also worked at several game stores and comic book shops through out the US.
  During those years I went to many conventions, Gen Con, Origins, World Cons etc though the last one I attended was Dragon Con 3 years ago.

You always have such a wide selection of whatever you're auctioning, be it RPG modules or miniatures.  I try to control my eBaying, but you keep posting auctions!

What is a "hamilcar", anyway?  I keep picturing Luke Skywalker driving an RPG-filled car through the bayou when I see your name next to an item.   :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:34 pm 

Hamilcar wrote:Hello,

I have been playing, collecting and selling D&D stuff since '79.  I used to work for a Games Distributor called LSW from '83-'90.  I also worked at several game stores and comic book shops through out the US.

Hamilcar

Welcome Hamilcar!
I've always had good experiences buying things from you.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:50 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:Welcome Hamilcar!  I've always had good experiences buying things from you.

Ditt on both counts :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:06 am 

VermilionFire wrote:
Welcome Hamilcar!
I've always had good experiences buying things from you.

hi hamilcar! i quote VF!!!  :D

ciao

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:You always have such a wide selection of whatever you're auctioning, be it RPG modules or miniatures.  I try to control my eBaying, but you keep posting auctions!

What is a "hamilcar", anyway?  I keep picturing Luke Skywalker driving an RPG-filled car through the bayou when I see your name next to an item.   :D

Hello, Hamilcar!  Nice to see you here.  (You will recognize my name, I believe, since I have been one of your recent customers.   :) )

Hamilcar was Hannibal's father...usually called Hamilcar Barca.

Here's the Wikipedia citation:  

Hamilcar Barca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:42 am 

You can add another satisfied buyer to the mix.  Welcome to the forum Hamilcar!  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:35 am 

Hamilcar wrote:Hello,

Hamilcar

hello hamilar!

welcome to The Acaeum!

hope you enjoy your stay,

Al

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 pm 

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.  Yes the name I use Hamilcar was Hannibal's father.  I have used that name for many years mainly for my many Dwarf Paladins.  Then I adopted it as my name for my ebay sales before I incorporated into Flying Tigers Games and kept it because I had quite a few people who knew me under that name.

Hamilcar :D

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:45 pm 

Hi Everyone

Named after my favourite pub, stuff I am into is 1st Edition AD&D, a bit of Rolemaster, MiddleEarth and Palladium.

Age is 35, been playing since school and come from Bangor,  Northern Ireland and am more of a gamer than a collector, but like to poke my nose in to see whats what from time to time.

No real neurosis as yet, but have been know to suffer from a dodgy pint every now and then .

Cheerio for now.

Espie

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:56 pm 

Hi Espie!

Glad to see you join the crew. Hope you enjoyed BangCon I !!!

Catch a beer soon

Bzr

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:58 am 

Espie wrote:Hi Everyone

Named after my favourite pub, stuff I am into is 1st Edition AD&D, a bit of Rolemaster, MiddleEarth and Palladium.

Age is 35, been playing since school and come from Bangor,  Northern Ireland and am more of a gamer than a collector, but like to poke my nose in to see whats what from time to time.

No real neurosis as yet, but have been know to suffer from a dodgy pint every now and then .

Cheerio for now.

Espie

oh no youre not one of Bzr mates are you??!!  8O  8O  

:D

welcome to the Acaeum. keep a tight rein on your credit card, or you will be making saving throws before long.

Al

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:57 am 

Hello all,

First time caller, long time listener.  :)

I've been playing various versions of D&D since about 1979 when I was all of 11 years old.  Over the years I accumulated quite a nice collection of D&D related material, with a smattering of other games thrown in for good measure, mostly TSR stuff.  Several years ago, in a fit of stupidity, I got rid of most of my collection.  I still play RPGs (twice a month with a regular group that I DM) but I no longer have some of the harder to find items that once graced my collection.

Just recently I decided to start re-acquiring some of the stuff I used to have and maybe some stuff that I never had.  I'm doing it slowly, as funds permit.  I recently won an auction on Ebay for a 4th printing of the Supplement 1 Greyhawk book along with a copy of book 3 from the original set, The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures.  I also acquired T1 The Village of Hommlet (green cover) and L1 The Secret of Bone Hill, and the red box D&D set 1: Basic Rules.  Last night a local gaming store owner that I've known for years allowed me into his storeroom to take a look at what he had there.  Thirty minutes later and with my wallet 80 dollars lighter I walked out with a 1st printing of Deities & Demigods that I would classify as VG to Fine condition, a 4th printing of T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil in VG to Fine condition, a 2nd printing of D1-2 Descent into the Depths of the Earth in Fine condition, a 7th printing of D3 Vault of the Drow in Fine condition, a beat-up 1st printing of I6 Ravenloft, a good condition copy of I10 Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill, a 6th printing of the AD&D Player's Handbook in VF condition, an 8th printing AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide in VG to Fine condition, and a good condition Council of Wyrms boxed set.  All-in-all, I was pretty happy with that haul!  :D  I feel like I've got a good start on rebuilding the collection.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself.  Thanks for letting me spew about my recent finds.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:59 am 

hello toric! welconme to the acaeum - feel free to join in the many topics discussed hree!

:)

Al

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:40 am 

Hello Toric :)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:43 am 

ciao toric, may the Holy Maps be with you!

I am the servant of the Secret Maps, Wielder of the flame of Clone!
You cannot quote! The dark spam will not avail you, flame of Udun.
Go back to the Shadow! You... cannot... post!!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:21 pm 

I am a little behind so....

Welcome toric, espie, and hamilcar!!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:51 pm 

Hiya all ! My name is Adrian and I am from the UK. I have been an avid collector / player since 1977 when, as an 11 year old,  I traded a collection of Soccer Cards for my first D&D set at school. I took a few years out of roleplaying (not by choice) in the early part of 2000 to 2003 but other than that I have been along for the ride. For my sins I am also a HUGE EBay addict !!!!
My jobs have included Managing an RPG Shop for about 8 years, writing material (Had some published !!!), Computer Support Manager & currently a Government Officer.
I am married and have 2 kids (AND the wife is a gamer too !!!)
Anyone want to drop me a line to talk RPGS or life in general - feel free !!
Take care all
Ade

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 34 of 116123 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 114115116