Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 37 of 135123 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:40 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:.....which is interesting, because I specifically will not purchase fantasy novels from female writers.  I wonder why the lady's name is important.

Mark

Seriously? I recommend Susannah Clarke, Julian May, Patricia Wrede or Julie E. Czerneda. Not your typical mamby-pamby Barbara Hambly type stuff.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 pm 

Well...I stopped buying new fantasy in general a while back....

It all went lesbian/Wicca/feminist/tree hugger.  I got sick of essentially female characters masquerading as male heroes....or of male characters who were either rapists or closet cases.

My opinions now are simply bull-headed ignorance combined with reads of some very bad novels.

Since when did "Cling! Clang! Cling!" become adequate descriptive text for a swordfight?

And, don't even get me started on Roberta Jordan!

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:51 pm 

Hello,

I have been playing, collecting and selling D&D stuff since '79.  I used to work for a Games Distributor called LSW from '83-'90.  I also worked at several game stores and comic book shops through out the US.
  During those years I went to many conventions, Gen Con, Origins, World Cons etc though the last one I attended was Dragon Con 3 years ago.  

Hamilcar

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:09 pm 

Hamilcar wrote:I have been playing, collecting and selling D&D stuff since '79.  I used to work for a Games Distributor called LSW from '83-'90.  I also worked at several game stores and comic book shops through out the US.
  During those years I went to many conventions, Gen Con, Origins, World Cons etc though the last one I attended was Dragon Con 3 years ago.

You always have such a wide selection of whatever you're auctioning, be it RPG modules or miniatures.  I try to control my eBaying, but you keep posting auctions!

What is a "hamilcar", anyway?  I keep picturing Luke Skywalker driving an RPG-filled car through the bayou when I see your name next to an item.   :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:34 pm 

Hamilcar wrote:Hello,

I have been playing, collecting and selling D&D stuff since '79.  I used to work for a Games Distributor called LSW from '83-'90.  I also worked at several game stores and comic book shops through out the US.

Hamilcar

Welcome Hamilcar!
I've always had good experiences buying things from you.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:50 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:Welcome Hamilcar!  I've always had good experiences buying things from you.

Ditt on both counts :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:06 am 

VermilionFire wrote:
Welcome Hamilcar!
I've always had good experiences buying things from you.

hi hamilcar! i quote VF!!!  :D

ciao

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 am 

JohnGaunt wrote:You always have such a wide selection of whatever you're auctioning, be it RPG modules or miniatures.  I try to control my eBaying, but you keep posting auctions!

What is a "hamilcar", anyway?  I keep picturing Luke Skywalker driving an RPG-filled car through the bayou when I see your name next to an item.   :D

Hello, Hamilcar!  Nice to see you here.  (You will recognize my name, I believe, since I have been one of your recent customers.   :) )

Hamilcar was Hannibal's father...usually called Hamilcar Barca.

Here's the Wikipedia citation:  

Hamilcar Barca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:42 am 

You can add another satisfied buyer to the mix.  Welcome to the forum Hamilcar!  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:35 am 

Hamilcar wrote:Hello,

Hamilcar

hello hamilar!

welcome to The Acaeum!

hope you enjoy your stay,

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 pm 

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome.  Yes the name I use Hamilcar was Hannibal's father.  I have used that name for many years mainly for my many Dwarf Paladins.  Then I adopted it as my name for my ebay sales before I incorporated into Flying Tigers Games and kept it because I had quite a few people who knew me under that name.

Hamilcar :D

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:45 pm 

Hi Everyone

Named after my favourite pub, stuff I am into is 1st Edition AD&D, a bit of Rolemaster, MiddleEarth and Palladium.

Age is 35, been playing since school and come from Bangor,  Northern Ireland and am more of a gamer than a collector, but like to poke my nose in to see whats what from time to time.

No real neurosis as yet, but have been know to suffer from a dodgy pint every now and then .

Cheerio for now.

Espie

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:56 pm 

Hi Espie!

Glad to see you join the crew. Hope you enjoyed BangCon I !!!

Catch a beer soon

Bzr

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:58 am 

Espie wrote:Hi Everyone

Named after my favourite pub, stuff I am into is 1st Edition AD&D, a bit of Rolemaster, MiddleEarth and Palladium.

Age is 35, been playing since school and come from Bangor,  Northern Ireland and am more of a gamer than a collector, but like to poke my nose in to see whats what from time to time.

No real neurosis as yet, but have been know to suffer from a dodgy pint every now and then .

Cheerio for now.

Espie

oh no youre not one of Bzr mates are you??!!  8O  8O  

:D

welcome to the Acaeum. keep a tight rein on your credit card, or you will be making saving throws before long.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:57 am 

Hello all,

First time caller, long time listener.  :)

I've been playing various versions of D&D since about 1979 when I was all of 11 years old.  Over the years I accumulated quite a nice collection of D&D related material, with a smattering of other games thrown in for good measure, mostly TSR stuff.  Several years ago, in a fit of stupidity, I got rid of most of my collection.  I still play RPGs (twice a month with a regular group that I DM) but I no longer have some of the harder to find items that once graced my collection.

Just recently I decided to start re-acquiring some of the stuff I used to have and maybe some stuff that I never had.  I'm doing it slowly, as funds permit.  I recently won an auction on Ebay for a 4th printing of the Supplement 1 Greyhawk book along with a copy of book 3 from the original set, The Underworld & Wilderness Adventures.  I also acquired T1 The Village of Hommlet (green cover) and L1 The Secret of Bone Hill, and the red box D&D set 1: Basic Rules.  Last night a local gaming store owner that I've known for years allowed me into his storeroom to take a look at what he had there.  Thirty minutes later and with my wallet 80 dollars lighter I walked out with a 1st printing of Deities & Demigods that I would classify as VG to Fine condition, a 4th printing of T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil in VG to Fine condition, a 2nd printing of D1-2 Descent into the Depths of the Earth in Fine condition, a 7th printing of D3 Vault of the Drow in Fine condition, a beat-up 1st printing of I6 Ravenloft, a good condition copy of I10 Ravenloft II: The House on Gryphon Hill, a 6th printing of the AD&D Player's Handbook in VF condition, an 8th printing AD&D Dungeon Masters Guide in VG to Fine condition, and a good condition Council of Wyrms boxed set.  All-in-all, I was pretty happy with that haul!  :D  I feel like I've got a good start on rebuilding the collection.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself.  Thanks for letting me spew about my recent finds.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:59 am 

hello toric! welconme to the acaeum - feel free to join in the many topics discussed hree!

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:40 am 

Hello Toric :)

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:43 am 

ciao toric, may the Holy Maps be with you!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 37 of 135123 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 133134135