Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 36 of 135123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:21 am 

Avurax wrote:
I received my first collecting Purple Heart (and realized I might have a collecting obsession) seven or eight years ago.  I placed an order with a Canadian RPG seller (can't remember which one).  Several hours after I placed my online order, the owner called me to verify I wasn't some punk kid who stole his parent's credit card.  He said I placed the largest order he'd ever processed.  I managed to pull this feat off again at my FLSG after going most of the summer without purchasing a single RPG item.  Apparently I tried to make up for it in one trip.  The shop owner said he sold me more that day (a Saturday) than he usually sells on any given weekday (M-F).  Ouch!  

Welcome!  Post more often, I love to hear stories like this. Several years ago I happened upon a Half Price Books store in Dallas right when they put out a huge wargame collection.  I ended up buying about $700 worth of games that day, the manager was ecstatic. I came back the next day and bought another $800 worth (after checking prices on Ebay).  He was beside himself. He confided to me that he had gone out on a limb and paid a couple hundred dollars for the wargame collection (there must have been about a 100 games in all) and almost regretted paying that much but that I had made everything right...seems it was his first week as manager and he was really scared he'd gone over his budget buying the games.  I didnt' know whether to be happy getting some nice games at a good price or sad because of the ridiculous markup I had to pay (most of the games had been priced at $20-$30 each).  Oh well.
  At least we won't feel responsible for sending you hopelessly into debt since you've already been there!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:49 am 

Hi,
This is my first posting to this forum.  My name is John, I originally grew up in Pasadena, CA where I first gaming AD&D in 1979 when I was 12.  As the years went by I kept hauling around all my original books from CA to New Orleans to 7 years military to now where I live, Austin TX!  All that time I occasionally gamed 1st and 2nd edition but it was passing.  Now I am a father of 2 (1 boy, 1 girl) and I am rediscovering my inner kid in me.  I started recollecting modules, books etc, completely blind on what is fair price etc.  Now comes this site, and WOW! Talk about kid in the candy store!
BTW, professionally I work for IBM, on the design team that designs the PowerPC architecture. I have been on the Power4, Power5, appleG5, Xbox360, Cell, and the future Power6 among others.  I always told my wife that I needed a hobby; I think I finally found 1!  BTW, on EBay I go by my wife's username of memosparty, so be kind!:D
Cheers
John  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:40 am 

Welcome aboard John:  you're not the only tech geek here, by any means :D  (I work for Juniper Networks, and several others have commented that they're in high tech too).  How old are your kids?  

The gaming group I play in (to which I'll be heading off to around 9:30 this morning for a 12-ish hour head-to-head two-team tourney-format playtest of an AD&D adventure for GenCon) regularly has 10-20 people show up to play, and several of the guys' kids play---ranging in age from 6 to 18 or so.  It's fun to see the kids playing too, they really have a blast :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:41 pm 

Welcome, Brogleo!

High tech jobs are fairly standard for a lot of old gamer guys...many of them were into high tech before there was a single computer class at their high school or even a computer in the attendance office.

I too was sucked into the collecting hobby just over a year ago.  One thing to watch out for is the "I Must Have It NOW or Never" syndrome.

By and large, things do come back up onto EBay and other sources.  Sometimes, the prices even fluctuate back down as market forces take hold.  (There will never be a better time to buy large lots of Mayfair's Role Aids items, for instance.  Judges Guild items are also at what will likely be the all-time low due to a market glut of the more common publications.)

The old game stores are now closing down and going to EBay...sometimes with comical pricing.  The old stores are now either hard into miniatures wargaming and collectable card games, or they are out of business....seems role-playing really is an entertainment bargain.

Anyway, welcome here...and jump right in.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:29 pm 

grodog wrote:Welcome aboard John:  you're not the only tech geek here, by any means :D  (I work for Juniper Networks, and several others have commented that they're in high tech too).  How old are your kids?  

The gaming group I play in (to which I'll be heading off to around 9:30 this morning for a 12-ish hour head-to-head two-team tourney-format playtest of an AD&D adventure for GenCon) regularly has 10-20 people show up to play, and several of the guys' kids play---ranging in age from 6 to 18 or so.  It's fun to see the kids playing too, they really have a blast :D

My son is 3 and my daughter is 1.  My wife is expressing interest in doing a family adventure when the kids get older, so I am right now spending my free time developing a 1st Edition campaign for them. :D
I know they are too young, but when the time comes I think it would be a great family activity.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:22 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Welcome, Brogleo!

High tech jobs are fairly standard for a lot of old gamer guys...many of them were into high tech before there was a single computer class at their high school or even a computer in the attendance office.

I too was sucked into the collecting hobby just over a year ago.  One thing to watch out for is the "I Must Have It NOW or Never" syndrome.

By and large, things do come back up onto EBay and other sources.  Sometimes, the prices even fluctuate back down as market forces take hold.  (There will never be a better time to buy large lots of Mayfair's Role Aids items, for instance.  Judges Guild items are also at what will likely be the all-time low due to a market glut of the more common publications.)

The old game stores are now closing down and going to EBay...sometimes with comical pricing.  The old stores are now either hard into miniatures wargaming and collectable card games, or they are out of business....seems role-playing really is an entertainment bargain.

Anyway, welcome here...and jump right in.

Mark   8)

Boy is it true about the 'must have it NOW or never', I am currently tracking about 12 items on EBay right now (quite a bit for me...).  The Tractics that is for auction right now I am keenly interested in becuase I own it as well.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:18 pm 

A copy of Dark Tower sold in ebay last week for $54.  

When I first went after Dark Tower I was shocked by other peoples' winning bids of $20+ and then $30+.  I figured I'd never win one, and I seriously considered buying a copy with a detached cover that I found online.

Then, I bought a copy on Amazon for $9.95.

Then I won another Dark Tower with a $5 EBay bid....no one else even bothered to bid.  Go figure. 8O   It happens.

I have been in bidding wars for other stuff that, presently, no one is bidding on or seems to care about.

Mark   8)

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:15 am 

Hi all,

Been looking at the forum for a while and finally decided to join the fun.  My name is Stephen Byrd, I'm 32, and I live in very rural South Carolina where I sell junk on the internet.  I just moved to the sticks from beautiful Charleston, where I managed a record store for a few years.  

I started role-playing years ago with some friends, playing ICE games and Marvel Superheroes because their parents wouldn't allow D&D.  Then I started playing D&D with some other friends and we formed a cult and killed some people (the last two parts are not true).  

I played a lot of other games as a teen (personal faves include James Bond and Talislanta) and developed a lifelong "warm fuzzy" towards gaming and the fantasy milieu even though I stopped playing after high school.  I did have a brief, torrid affair with Magic the Gathering, though looking back it feels more like a brief, torrid mental illness or demonic possession.  I hadn't  been into contact with the gaming world much until I found a big, old D&D collection at a rummage sale.  It was a beautiful moment for me as an old-school gamer and a treasure-seeker.  I was looking in a section of toys and board games when i found a nondescript cardboard box sitting under a table.  Inside were tons of old gamebooks and modules, 90+ miniatures, dice and loads of old papers chronicling the adventures of an old gaming group from the early 1980s.  The price for all the stuff: $15.  Plug: It's all up for sale on eBay now.  

So anyways, I found this forum and all kinds of other stuff researching my big find and I've gotten really nostalgic for the old days and learned a lot as well.  I look forward to keeping up with the Acaeum.

He's bad, he's beautiful, he's crazy!  He's the man with no name!

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:19 am 

I'm married to a beautiful woman and have two great little boys.  It's funny how talking about gaming still inspires tunnel-vision in me.   :oops:

He's bad, he's beautiful, he's crazy!  He's the man with no name!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:46 am 

Welcome FighterHayabusa.  Nice find.   8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:02 am 

FighterHayabusa wrote:Then I started playing D&D with some other friends and we formed a cult and killed some people (the last two parts are not true).  

<sigh> I liked you a lot for about 2 seconds there...

:)

Welcome aboard!

bombadil wrote:...There was a pile of heads stacked up around me at the end of every day.  Very cold work.  No gloves, blowing snow, bloody knife handle slippery as hell...

Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:00 am 

Welcome to The Acaeum!

An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:25 am 

ciao FighterHayabusa! it's a pleasure... even though i'll always have to copy&paste your nick... too difficult& long for my eye and mind! :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:20 am 

Greetings.  My name is Lance Hawvermale.  I was drawn to these boards due to my work with Rob Kuntz.  I am currently putting the finishing touches on Tower of Blood.  Discussions on other forums about that line of products brought me here.

I've been authoring professional game-related material since 1995 and novels since 2003 (under a woman's pen name, no less!).  I invite everyone to take a peek at a bit of my life:

http://www.lancehawvermale.com

As far as collecting goes, several years ago a personal emergency of the medical kind forced me to sell what amounted to $1900 worth of product.  I let go of everything but my core rulebooks and a few favorite modules (When a Star Falls, Against the Cult of the Reptile God, Ravenloft).  Since then, I've focused on collecting just a few specific lines of products.  Right now I'm working on buying all Dungeon magazines from issue 1 to 81 (the changeover to Third Edition).  I'm also slowly assembling the TSR trading cards from 1991, '92, and '93 (not the factory sets, but a tedius booster by booster collection).

I was thrilled to find these boards.  I hope to see some of you at GenCon, where I will be hawking my wares at the Necromancer Games/White Wolf booth, trying to win a few rounds in the D&D Miniatures qualifier, and running a game of Boot Hill, Third Edition.

Peace to you all,

Lance

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:26 am 

hey lance the 20,000+ word man!

welcome to the Acaeum :)

hope you have a good stay here....hide your credit card my friend, or you will be constantly rolling saving throws :D

enjoy

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:57 am 

ciao lance! hope you'll find friends and not only compulsive-ossessive subjects here! :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:48 pm 

Welcome, Lance....if that is your real name.   :o

You will find many interested collectors here so prepare to have your collecting fetish massively expanded.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:02 pm 

mark

yes its lance - the chappy doing Tower of Blood with Rob.

top guy

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 36 of 135123 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 133134135