Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 35 of 135123 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 133134135
Author

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:50 am 

I have been "lurking" for some time now and finally decided to join in.
A quick introduction is in order. My name is Jason Williams and I live in Moncton, New Brunswick Canada. I was introduced to the original brown books D&D in 1978 by a friend who returned from university in Halifax, NS in the spring of that year. By the end of 1978 I had started purchasing D&D materials when I could afford it  :-) and was DM'ing for a small group.
I played and ran on a regular basis all through the 1980's and into the early 1990's until my work commitments chewed into my free time.
I kept hoping that I would be able to get back into role playing but am now trying to support an aging parent who is slowly descending into the grip of alzheimer's  :cry:
I have been selling some of my older stuff off on eBay recently and have come across a few names from these forums bidding on my items.
Most of my choice stuff has already been sold, but I do have boxes of stuff to still go through (although there is many items from other game systems such as early Traveler, Call of Cthulhu, Marvel Super Heroes, etc.)
I listed a couple of items earlier this morning and should have asked for some advice on pricing first.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:01 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:I have been "lurking" for some time now and finally decided to join in.
A quick introduction is in order. My name is Jason Williams and I live in Moncton, New Brunswick Canada. I was introduced to the original brown books D&D in 1978 by a friend who returned from university in Halifax, NS in the spring of that year. By the end of 1978 I had started purchasing D&D materials when I could afford it  :-) and was DM'ing for a small group.
I played and ran on a regular basis all through the 1980's and into the early 1990's until my work commitments chewed into my free time.
I kept hoping that I would be able to get back into role playing but am now trying to support an aging parent who is slowly descending into the grip of alzheimer's  :cry:
I have been selling some of my older stuff off on eBay recently and have come across a few names from these forums bidding on my items.
Most of my choice stuff has already been sold, but I do have boxes of stuff to still go through (although there is many items from other game systems such as early Traveler, Call of Cthulhu, Marvel Super Heroes, etc.)
I listed a couple of items earlier this morning and should have asked for some advice on pricing first.

Welcome Jason
It is understandable when you have to let go of material things to help someone in your life.
As for the Judges Guild items you have up - which you've done well in providing pictures of the 'important stuff'  :wink: (I now don't have to ask).
The Dark Tower should go $50+, The Judges Shield may go at $10 in the condition you have - though you may get lucky as they don't show up to often. Village Book I maybe a little high, but then you may catch the right buyer at the right time.

Hope all the auctions go well for you,
ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:34 pm 

Welcom, Jason!   :)

Caring for a parent is a noble task.

Good luck on your auctions!

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:21 pm 

Jason, welcome to the boards :D

What's your eBay handle?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:24 pm 

Plagg

Thanks for the welcome and the advice on the pricing!

I'm looking forward to what appears to be a very well established community.

Also, thanks for the welcome from you and Mshipley88

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:25 pm 

Hi Grodog!
It's the same as this handle. Are you the same Grodog that just bought some Dungeon magazines from me?
If so, they are on their way but between this being a Canada Day long weekend and the 4th of July next week, they could be delayed by a couple of days.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:36 pm 

jasonw1239 wrote:Hi Grodog!
It's the same as this handle. Are you the same Grodog that just bought some Dungeon magazines from me?
If so, they are on their way but between this being a Canada Day long weekend and the 4th of July next week, they could be delayed by a couple of days.

Yep, that's me.  Some German guy had plain old "grodog" registered on eBay, so I went with my setting affiliation there, after they made me change away from my email address.

Thanks, and no worries on the possible delays:  I've got plenty of fun stuff to keep me in gaming reading in the meanwhile :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:05 pm 

Hi all
   just joined recently but have been on the sight on and off for a while, not a real serious collector but have all my original books and mods from when i started playing in 1981 in the navy. when i got home recruted everyone in the family to play. just got the bug again last year when i hurt my back and discovered e-bay. big mistake spent way to much. lol. now i play a 3.0 group and living greyhawk 3.5. i know you guys put the new versions down but its not that bad, It's good players that make the game good not the rules.

Fred from Sayreville, NJ

PS I'm 43 so I fall in the age group of the group

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:08 pm 

welcome Fred - don't worry about playing 3.0.  playing any version is better than playing nothing.  perhaps this site will persuade you to change your game...  :)

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:08 pm 

hey there ffhs;gfhs;agh;dsaghdl;

so whats with the ID then? thats what i call pretty random!

welcome to the forum :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:07 pm 

sorry to dias apoint you but ive payed D&D 1st and 2nd and have come to like 3.- it gives a chacter definition that we didn't have in the old days. we usually ended up using the other tables to round out chacters the skill point system is a way to make chacters unique although there are some who as always just look for the best skills not trying to develop a personality for there chacter. my dwarf that i run dosen't always do the best thing for himself but her stays in chacter.

fred

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:57 am 

Welcome Fred!

Might as well not try arguing the virtues of 3.0 or 3.5 with these guys.  Minds are pretty well made up.  Just smile and nod.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:50 am 

Some of us publish 3.x, so we're not all 100% against it :D  (That said, yes, I still prefere AD&D too...).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:22 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Welcome Fred!

Might as well not try arguing the virtues of 3.0 or 3.5 with these guys.  Minds are pretty well made up.  Just smile and nod.

Mark   8)

Makes em sound like all those bankers in the Washinton Mutual Bank commercials for free checking.. :P

Maraudar

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:09 pm 

I have been a loooong time lurker of the Acaeum indexes and forums but have been a fraidy cat about posting.  For me, this site has been a combination of the Seven Heavens (look at all this cool stuff I didn't know about...) and the Nine Hells (...and look what it has been selling for).  

I cut my teeth on an Erol Otus Basic Set.  Looking at my original set again recently, it appears I discovered highlighters at about the same time.  Many pages literally have more items highlighted than not.  I never had a large enough group to really role play during that first decade and a half or so, but we had tons of fun "roll playing" (and in my opinion, having fun really is the point).  The closest we came to role playing was outside.  Instead of cowboys & indians or war, we played D&D.  We had wooden swords and daggers, a morning star (a stick with a tennis ball attached by string), a crossbow with elastic draw string, bows with twine draw strings and imaginary magic spells (augmented with fire crackers around Independence Day).  We used colored glass as treasure.  This attracted a few more neighborhood kids but I still couldn't get them hooked on the pencil and paper aspect of the game.  Unfortunately, I haven't played for years and I sorely miss it.  

I received my first collecting Purple Heart (and realized I might have a collecting obsession) seven or eight years ago.  I placed an order with a Canadian RPG seller (can't remember which one).  Several hours after I placed my online order, the owner called me to verify I wasn't some punk kid who stole his parent's credit card.  He said I placed the largest order he'd ever processed.  I managed to pull this feat off again at my FLSG after going most of the summer without purchasing a single RPG item.  Apparently I tried to make up for it in one trip.  The shop owner said he sold me more that day (a Saturday) than he usually sells on any given weekday (M-F).  Ouch!  

During this dark period where I was collecting at all costs, I ran up quite a credit card balance.  In early 2001, I took a self imposed exile from collecting to get my debt in order; hence the gap from March 2001 to July 2004 with only 1 purchase on my Ebay feedback profile.  I have had an on again off again relationship collecting RPGs on Ebay since that time but now I don't allow myself any long term Ebay debt (i.e. typically no more than can be paid when my credit card bill arrives every month; though I have been pushing the limits pretty hard the last couple of months).  

I really want to be a high end collector.  The only thing two things standing in my way are money and money.  I thought I was going to dive into the deep end of the pool this past winter by bidding on a PotVQ (5th I think) around Christmas.  Using the Acaeum values as a loose guideline, I bid about $425 (almost $100 more than the NM "value" and far more than I had ever bid on any other auction before).  The item ended up in the $625-$630 range. I knew then I was going to be in the shallow end of the pool for the foreseeable future.  But hey, it beats the suspiciously warm kiddy pool.

To me, collecting is more about ownership than an investment.  I love having a physical copy of an item.  It is nice to just flip through the stuff.  Heck, just holding some of the items I originally owned as a pre-teen and some of the (relatively) rare items in my collection give me goose bumps. Today, I enjoy rifling through old items and seeing the evolution of the game (fighting men to fighters to rangers to paladins to cavaliers & barbarians).  Plus, unlike a novel that needs to be read from beginning to end, I can read something that piques my interest at a given moment (say the entry on Demogorgon from the original AD&D monster manual).

As for what I collect, I love most things TSR.  ODD, DD, ADD1, ADD2 and even the dreaded D&D 3.x.  I am not a print run junky (yet!) but I would like to have a copy of every item where notable changes occurred (like one "idol" player's handbook and one "magic user" player's handbook, for example).  My collection also includes several other TSR non-D&D RPGs I played as a kid (Gamma World, Top Secret and Star Frontiers).  Recently, I picked up most of the Boot Hill and Amazing Engine product lines.  Gangbusters will probably be my next TSR non-D&D obsession since there were not many products released for it.  Strangely enough, comic books were never part of my youth so TSR's Marvel Super Heroes line was never appealing (and still is not).

There are fewer and fewer "common" D&D items I am still looking for (i.e. 1's, 2's and some 3's).  Since I am priced out of most of the rares (5's), I have been making the occasional attempt to snag an "upper mid level" item (4's and some 3's).  There are still a few 2nd edition items I am missing that don't seem to come up very often.  Plus a couple of items in my collection are thrashed and I am looking for a copy in better condition (it's funny that "thrashed" was never used in any of the item's descriptions).  I also occasionally pick up items that are usually prefaced by "for the completest…" on this site.

There are a few (about 50?) non-TSR D&D items in my collection but I haven't done any research to see how "collectible" they are.  I picked most of them up used before Al Gore invented the internet.  I keep meaning to hop over to the non-TSR D&D part of the site to see exactly what I have.  

Unfortunately for my checkbook, fantasy games are not the only RPGs I collect.  I collect Deadlands (though I haven't picked up Deadlands Reloaded yet), Star Wars (d6 & d20), Babylon 5 (Agents of Gaming, Chameleon Eclectic and Mongoose), Gamma World (Sword & Sorcery), Stargate, Serenity and James Bond among others.  

Well, I have made my first Acaeum post (and first internet message board post of any kind) a long one.  Sorry about that.  I did want to sneak in a quick couple of questions (hopefully without hijacking this thread).

1.  Do "WANTED" items in the classifieds yield results?  And depends are adult diapers, not an answer to the question   :)  
2.  I used the TSR Stock list on this site to help me create some of my collecting wish lists plus straightened out several incorrect entries I had in my inventory collection spreadsheet.  However, I found one or two items on this list that seem to have incorrect stock numbers or descriptions.  It doesn't look like the TSR Stock list is still being maintained (last updated 2/8/05).  Is there anyone who could update this wonderful list?  It is a superb resource.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:29 pm 

Welcome Avurax :D

It seems you will fit right in with this group. Most of us have larger "wants" than checkbooks. 8O

To answer your questions:

1  Yes, the wanted classified will work. If you don't get the response you are looking for, just repost after a month or two for new looks.

2.  I think most of us have our own lists that we have generated over time. Not sure if anyone is working on an update.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:31 pm 

Welcome, Avurax   :)

You made your first post a good one.  

For those of us in the suspiciously warm kiddy pool, it's fun to watch the big dogs bid and snipe.

"Wanted" posts do work...just about any item you want is sitting in someone's trove.  Sellers here are ultra-reliable, and you get what you pay for.

It's a great time to collect Judges Guild, by the way....you ought to add that to your list of obsessions.   :lol:

Mark   8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:41 pm 

Hello All...I too, have been a long time lurker of the Acaeum and forums but decided to finally post.

Some background on me...my name is Lance Ofenloch (my eBay handle is lofenloc) and I started playing SPI games waaaaayyyy back when I was in college in the 70's. I started playing Sorceror, collecting SPI and AH games, and then went on to playing D&D after college at a friends house I met while at college.

Its been madness ever since..... :lol:

I am new to forums such as this and hope I do not upset anyone ( I have a silly sense of humor that sometimes may not work so I need to think before I post).

I know I have purchased items from some of you on eBay so some of you will be familiar with me.

Anyway, enought of my ramblings...

Two things that I want to get cleared up are:

Ian said that Grodog has some questions about the Armaron maps that I purchsed from him (Ian) so, Grodog, ask away....

Also, I have been following the discussion on the Kalifax supplement so I decided to go and dig out (almost literally) my copy of it.

How does one post pictures of an item on the forum (or show me where the 'rules of the road' are so I can figure it out).

Oh, another item...Ian, did you ever get in contact with W. John Wheeler? I may have a way (albeit, indirect) of getting in touch with him.

Well, here goes my first post...I guess I am not a virgin anymore....

:lol:

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 35 of 135123 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 133134135