Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 29 of 114123 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 112113114
Author

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1843
Joined: May 01, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 21, 2021
Location: Almost Lake Geneva, WI

Post Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:41 pm 
 

TheElderEye wrote:My current game of choice is Castles and Crusades.


::applause::

  


Active Collector

Posts: 36
Joined: Feb 24, 2006
Last Visit: Apr 21, 2017
Location: Southern Wisconsin

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:47 pm 
 

Since I started posting in the forum I thought I ought to add a little background.

I'm Andy Ravenscroft.  I started gaming T&T, D&D and Runequest back in high school (1977) in the UK.  Played lots of D&D, and was addicted to the point of rolling dice in the high street on the way home from school to resolve unfinished game threads from lunchtime game sessions.

Contributed to a number of fanzines at the time - Demonsblood, Lokasenna, Deaths Dance Taken Slowly, The Beholder, Shire Talk, Atu XVIII - and hung around on the fringe of the Dipzine scene.   Frequently attended cons, including Dragonmeet and Games Day - ah, nostalgia - and (seduced by the ads in the Dragon) dreamed of one day maybe even getting to GenCon.  

For a while there during my college years I found that drinking and talking about games was more fun than playing them, so I effectively dropped out of gaming, only coming back to it via eurogames starting in about 1990.

In one of those satisfying life twists, I later moved to Madison, Wisconsin and was finally able to attend GenCon.  Mostly I'd attend the auctions, trying to backfill missing game collection items, so Frank's face in the previous post is a familiar one...

These days I'm a prolific eurogame player/collector with a sideline in UK/US RPG fanzines and early fantasy boardgames (Chaosium, FGU, etc.).  You can also find me over on Boardgamegeek under the name gobbeg.

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3793
Joined: Feb 23, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 17, 2021

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:55 pm 
 

Marinagh wrote:Played lots of D&D, and was addicted to the point of rolling dice in the high street on the way home from school to resolve unfinished game threads from lunchtime game sessions.


Sounds familiar.  We used to roll dice on the school bus on the way home for the same reason, and to roll up characters.

Madison, eh?  Lucky bastard...

Welcome to The Acaeum!

  


Active Collector

Posts: 41
Joined: Mar 13, 2006
Last Visit: Feb 09, 2020
Location: Charlottesville, VA

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:53 pm 
 

Hi,
I've been playing AD&D since 1980. I started in college at Oswego State in NY with 1E AD&D and played/DMed with a great group until 1986 when I moved to Michigan. In Michigan I got involved with the Brass Dragon Role Playing Club, primarily as a 2E AD&D DM. We had a fantastic gaming group for almost three years when I moved to Virginia.  My name is Steve Sofinski, and I go by the handle of Onlondore, which is the name of the first AD&D walled city I ever created.
      I haven't had the time to play much for 14 years now, but I still love to read the books and modules. I like to think about D&D, and talk about it, even if I don't have the time to play. I've taken up some computer gaming to fill the time; mainly that great stuff by Bioware: Baldur's Gate I & II.
     I've reached a point in my life where I want to at least make sure I've saved enough of the books and modules so that I can start this game up again some day, or at least be able to pass it down to others. AD&D has been a great hobby for me. It is a fantastic game of discussion and conversation, fantasy, magic, and adventure. Maybe some day I'll have time to play more too. I hope so anyway.
     It's great to see a website like this. You all deserve a +19 on your next saving throw :D


Why do we always have to attack uphill?

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 553
Joined: Sep 02, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 20, 2021
Location: Cape Cod

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:10 pm 
 

Welcome Onlondore !

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:45 pm 
 

Welcome, Onlondore!  

    It's extra cool to read that you are now collecting because you might want to play in the future.

    I wonder if there could be a "Diamond Age" of RPG's yet to come!

Mark   8)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  


Prolific Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 357
Joined: Feb 21, 2006
Last Visit: Nov 08, 2014
Location: Donaghadee

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:32 pm 
 

Hi,

I've been gaming since 1979-80. (all AD&D) Started with a bunch of mates at the start of grammar school and kept going solidly until university. All the books came from Esdevium Games (still remember the smell of the new books). First actual module played was Citadel of Fire. When not DMing I seemed to spend half the time designing and half the time being taken aside by one player or another to explain his latest secret scheme. Four hour 'phone calls about clones. I had a degree in containing egos.

I left Ireland to go to university in England. I returned to play during vacations - Jorune, Palladium & MERP. Although, we always kept going back to AD&D 1st Edition.

Back in Ireland after Uni and gaming again brought me a whole new circle of great friends. I ran another campaign for 6 years : hybrid RM/AD&D with bits & bobs of other stuff all set in a variant of Greyhawk. My only god-daughter is the daughter of a player who's now living in Springfield OH. That was a great trip.

When I got married my best man was one of the group from school who'd been my friend for 20 years (large brightly coloured London public transport vehicle for those who know). When another of our group got married in February 06 we all met in a castle in Ireland for a good old fashioned dungeon bash.

I've been astounded by the detail and research in this site & have been really pleased to read the comments of many of the sellers I've had the pleasure of dealing with on eBay (bclarkie & killjoy32 to name just a couple).

I am firmly of the view that gaming can engender deep & lasting friendships more than other pursuit such as  sport, academia or work. The very nature of the hobby lends itself to the exposure of the particpants' personality. Therefore you may well get to know your players & DMs better than team mates & work mates.

In the last couple of years I've been buying stuff to replace gaming items I used to own , 1st & 2nd RM & 1st & 2nd MERP and lately D&D. I suppose that's why I ended up here. On ebay I use "djb_astro" as a nick.

This is probably another OTT post from obiter but sometimes it is easy to trivialise the huge impact which this great hobby has had and will continue to have.

A huge hats off to the founding fathers of our hobby. They are deeply appreciated.


An té nach mbíonn láidir ní folláir dó bheith glic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-ajduHx5hc

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:34 am 
 

Welcome, obiter.

  It is interesting that people talk about role-players as being anti-social, when in fact it is one of the most social of activities...I mean real RPG's, not the placebo you get from a computer.  

    Lifelong friendships seem to be the norm...groups of friends with the common experience of remembering people and things that do not really exist.  By comparison, the many school and informal sports teams I have played on were hardly social at all.

   So, welcome here.

    Could you translate your Gaelic catchphrase for us?

Mark   8)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:21 am 
 

welcome Obiter! may your credit card resource be expansive, cos around here, youre gonna need it :D

Al



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1097
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:44 am 
 

MShipley88 wrote:     Could you translate your Gaelic catchphrase for us?

Mark   8)


He who is not strong must needs be cunning!

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1097
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:57 am 
 

I am thinking of using the following for special circumstances like when you are an elf and have just encountered a band of orcs .....

Póg mo thóin!        (Kiss my .... )

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6168
Joined: Jan 03, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2021
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:06 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:welcome Obiter! may your credit card resource be expansive, cos around here, youre gonna need it :D

Al

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:


This week I've been mostly eating . . . chicken and wild rice soup.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:07 am 
 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:welcome Obiter! may your credit card resource be expansive, cos around here, youre gonna need it :D

Al

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:


well that IS par for the course around here isnt it? unless your name is creep1962 of course :)

Al



  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:16 pm 
 

obiter wrote:Hi,

I've been gaming since 1979-80. (all AD&D) Started with a bunch of mates at the start of grammar school and kept going solidly until university. All the books came from Esdevium Games (still remember the smell of the new books). First actual module played was Citadel of Fire. When not DMing I seemed to spend half the time designing and half the time being taken aside by one player or another to explain his latest secret scheme. Four hour 'phone calls about clones. I had a degree in containing egos.

I left Ireland to go to university in England. I returned to play during vacations - Jorune, Palladium & MERP. Although, we always kept going back to AD&D 1st Edition.

Back in Ireland after Uni and gaming again brought me a whole new circle of great friends. I ran another campaign for 6 years : hybrid RM/AD&D with bits & bobs of other stuff all set in a variant of Greyhawk. My only god-daughter is the daughter of a player who's now living in Springfield OH. That was a great trip.

When I got married my best man was one of the group from school who'd been my friend for 20 years (large brightly coloured London public transport vehicle for those who know). When another of our group got married in February 06 we all met in a castle in Ireland for a good old fashioned dungeon bash.

I've been astounded by the detail and research in this site & have been really pleased to read the comments of many of the sellers I've had the pleasure of dealing with on eBay (bclarkie & killjoy32 to name just a couple).

I am firmly of the view that gaming can engender deep & lasting friendships more than other pursuit such as  sport, academia or work. The very nature of the hobby lends itself to the exposure of the particpants' personality. Therefore you may well get to know your players & DMs better than team mates & work mates.

In the last couple of years I've been buying stuff to replace gaming items I used to own , 1st & 2nd RM & 1st & 2nd MERP and lately D&D. I suppose that's why I ended up here. On ebay I use "djb_astro" as a nick.

This is probably another OTT post from obiter but sometimes it is easy to trivialise the huge impact which this great hobby has had and will continue to have.

A huge hats off to the founding fathers of our hobby. They are deeply appreciated.


Hi B, welcome to the forum.  FWIW, Alan wan not kidding either. :)


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:44 am 
 

obiter wrote:When not DMing I seemed to spend half the time designing and half the time being taken aside by one player or another to explain his latest secret scheme... I had a degree in containing egos.

:lol:

Greetings, obiter!
Oh, how familiar that sounds... :D

  


Collector

Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 26, 2006
Last Visit: May 02, 2006
Location: Tottenham, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:15 pm 
 

Hello all!! I'm 36 and have played AD&D from the very early 80's to the early 90's.  Haven't played much since then (wife, kid, work, etc...).  I was amazed to see the some of my items are worth so much.  I have about 300 items, all of which I am the original owner.  My 'gems' are;
S4 in shrink, bought it at Gen Con 25
T1-4 in shrink
Dieties and Demigods with Cthulhu, NM condition.
H-2, H-3 and H-4 all in NM condition.

I am located just outside Toronto. Anyone in the area (or anywhere for that matter) drop me an e-mail [email protected]

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:22 pm 
 

Valourius wrote:Hello all!! I'm 36 and have played AD&D from the very early 80's to the early 90's.  Haven't played much since then (wife, kid, work, etc...).  I was amazed to see the some of my items are worth so much.  I have about 300 items, all of which I am the original owner.  My 'gems' are;
S4 in shrink, bought it at Gen Con 25
T1-4 in shrink
Dieties and Demigods with Cthulhu, NM condition.
H-2, H-3 and H-4 all in NM condition.

I am located just outside Toronto. Anyone in the area (or anywhere for that matter) drop me an e-mail [email protected]

Nice to meet you.  We need more Torontonians on here.  :)  If you work downtown, we can go for a pint sometime.

 YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:46 pm 
 

Valourius wrote:Hello all!! I'm 36 and have played AD&D from the very early 80's to the early 90's.  Haven't played much since then (wife, kid, work, etc...).  I was amazed to see the some of my items are worth so much.  I have about 300 items, all of which I am the original owner.  My 'gems' are;
S4 in shrink, bought it at Gen Con 25
T1-4 in shrink
Dieties and Demigods with Cthulhu, NM condition.
H-2, H-3 and H-4 all in NM condition.

I am located just outside Toronto. Anyone in the area (or anywhere for that matter) drop me an e-mail [email protected]


hello valourius! welcome to the site. please feel free to join in any of the discussions. its a great community on here (despite the odd hiccup). enjoy your stay :D

Al



  


Collector

Posts: 3
Joined: Apr 26, 2006
Last Visit: May 02, 2006
Location: Tottenham, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:16 pm 
 

Thanks Al and Deimos;
Deimos, I don't work downtown, but damn, that's never stopped me from going there for a beer!!!
Drop me an e-mail if your serious.

Charlie

  


Active Collector

Posts: 40
Joined: Apr 29, 2006
Last Visit: Jan 18, 2018
Location: Surf City USA

Post Posted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:57 am 
 

Hi,
 Been here a long time, just never registered or bothered to post.  This site is the greatest resource.  I know many of you from DF. I came across D&D almost 30 years ago and started with the Moldvay edition which I still have.  It was rough learning to play D&D with the swedish bikini team cause as a DM I could not bring myself to TPK.  :D  Years went by and after being unable to perfect a 15 sided dice I gave up the game for awhile.  One day while playing  yahtzee I rolled a "natural 20" with 3d6.  This of course brought me back to my original love, crayoning dice.  D&D isn't too bad either.     Lately, I have started buying some things off of e-bay (even some things I already own but do not have here)and have come across many of you the hard way (you people have cash!!).  

Please excuse the long post & silliness.
:wink:

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 29 of 114123 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 112113114