Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 31 of 135123 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 133134135
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:13 pm 

red_bus wrote:I am just back from a few days away in the country and my flat is freezing - I had left the boiler off 8O . Am off now to crank up the heating and wrap myself up in blankets until it warms up (which will probably take about three hours). Brrrrr.

*chuckles*. What's your definition of "in the country"?

Keep walking 12-13 miles and you'll get to a village...

Must admit you've had more of a winter down south than we've had up here... Snow, where's all the snow? :(

==

Greetings to all the new forum members... :)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:54 pm 

faro wrote:Keep walking 12-13 miles and you'll get to a village...

Must admit you've had more of a winter down south than we've had up here... Snow, where's all the snow? :(

Essex.

Yes, it is a strange place.  Especially for someone like me.  I try to stick wherever possible to within Zone 1, and I get nervous when I cannot see an underground station.  How do people live like that with all that vegetation growing... just wild.  I mean we have trees and all in London, but they are kept under control.  Haven't they read 'Day of the Triffids'?  
8O
It is nice to be back on safe ground, with tarmac and concrete underfoot.  :)

Very nice beach by the way.  We have those in London too (it's called Brighton).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:41 pm 

:lol:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:08 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:Very nice find on that R2! Makes you wonder just how many other people have done something similar and just how many of these items are still out there. Welcome to the forum Scott.

What still burns me to this day is what might have been in the other boxes is now sitting in a landfill somewhere...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:59 pm 

Just found out that Acaeum had forums - haven't checked this site in ages. Stopped collecting back in 2000 when I went back to graduate school and never really resumed until recently.

I generally collect 1st Ed AD&D/Greyhawk Mats, 70's D&D/FRP products, 18xx board games, Oil/Petroleum based board games and certain Fantasy board games/books (The old '80s Sorcery! books from Steve Jackson and the Two-Person combat books. Not "collectible" in the monetary sense - but I like em so who cares--they're cheap when they're available--still looking for the WWI Fighter ones)

Highlights:
Dragons 1-10 (VG/F+ Condition).
Dwarven Glory (3rd Printing).
Original Judge's Guild Tegal Manor (Booklet L - 1st Playing Aid edition).
Edit: Been informed that I have the 2nd Edition as I have the cover sheet w/o the product list and the 2nd edition Booklet L. ;P

Various not-so rare, but still nice, modules, T1-4, H1 through H4, Queen of the Spiders, early JG, etc.
TSR's Star Probe.
Complete Talisman 2nd.
Various obscure other board games the prize of which is a game called North Sea Oil produced by Shell Oil Ltd in the early 1970's of which, if more than twenty other copies exist in the world, I'd be shocked--and the other 19 are somewhere in the UK. Also a favorite is Hammer of Thor (though the map has a rip) - worst game ever made. The Plan 9 from Outer Space of board games.

Stuff I'm thinking about collecting:
DragonQuest (pre-TSR) and original The Fantasy Trip. Rare TSR 1st ed AD&D items that are less than $1000 if I can work out a deal with the wife ;P

Stuff I have that I'm not really interested in but bought because it was so cheap and need to get rid of someday.
A lot of '80s MERP. A lot of TSR 2nd Ed campaign stuff Al-Qadim/Dark Sun/Forgotten Realms.

Stuff I want, but will never get because of likely cost and/or lack of availability:
WW Dragonlord. Rob Kuntz' RPGA modules.

Cheers.

Trevor

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:58 pm 

Long time, no see Trevor Dewey!  
I always wondered what happened to you after seemingly disappearing from frp.marketplace.  We've come a long way with Wee Warriors cataloging since the old days on Afterglow's site.  
Who will show up now?  James Sinks?   :D

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:20 am 

Sorry Verm, I'm not James Sinks.

I am Jeff.  I'm a mid 30's guy in the SE of the US.  I guess I got started playing D&D back in about 78.  Parents got me the box set with the all blue dragon on the book (sorry not sure the rev) and I read that thing atleast a million or two times.  Knew I was hooked though when I played A1 and as soon as I walked up to the gate my fighter got fried by that dang flame throwing wheel barrel.

I had a decent collection for a while (maybe 60 or so things, most of which I had bought of the self myself and had kept in good condition) until my first wife made me clean out my closet in 95.  Didn't realize the value and just gave the stuff away.  Now I realize that stuff was more valuable than the x-wife (though she still costs me more).

I'm starting to collect again.  My interests are mostly toward the 1st edition rules stuff though I can stomach the 2E rules (the newest stuff just doesn't seem to have the same appeal to me).  Most of what I'm looking for is stuff I can feel comfortable handling, reading, maybe even playing with my sons.  Hence I'm not a Lost Toma or such collector (and my current wife might become another x if I spent several hundred on what she would call a silly book - oh blast those silly women).

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say hello.  I also have really enjoyed the information that you have on your website including the near comperhensive listing of modules.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:03 am 

Hello Disjected,

Welcome to the forums.  I am also a 1st Edition/2nd edition collector.  No wife to impede my collecting though.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:53 am 

Welcome, Disjected.   :)

Maybe you could list the ex-wife as a "first edition" and see if Cougarrinard will bid on her.   :o

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:23 pm 

MShipley88,

I bow to your wit, sir.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:27 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Welcome, Disjected.   :)

Maybe you could list the ex-wife as a "first edition" and see if Cougarrinard will bid on her.   :o

*snicker*  Only if her last name was Bloodstone.  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:42 pm 

Did I do a creature statistic list for the Ex-Wife yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:52 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Did I do a creature statistic list for the Ex-Wife yet?

If you have, feel free to repeat yourself.  It's been a while since you've done one.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:24 pm 

OK, what thread do you think it should go under?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:01 am 

How about random thoughts/ot chitchat thread.  Let's see it!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:19 pm 

Disjected wrote:Sorry Verm, I'm not James Sinks.

I am Jeff.  I'm a mid 30's guy in the SE of the US.

Hi Jeff,

If you are within driving distance, come by the store; Here Be Books in Summerville, SC (Here Be Books & Games Used Bookstore & Board Game Store, Summerville, SC near Charleston, South Carolina for directions).  I plan to purge some of the duplicate 1st edition hardbacks from my collection and bring them into the store within the next month.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:30 pm 

McDuff wrote:
Disjected wrote:Sorry Verm, I'm not James Sinks.

I am Jeff.  I'm a mid 30's guy in the SE of the US.

Hi Jeff,

If you are within driving distance, come by the store; Here Be Books in Summerville, SC (Here Be Books & Games Used Bookstore & Board Game Store, Summerville, SC near Charleston, South Carolina for directions).  I plan to purge some of the duplicate 1st edition hardbacks from my collection and bring them into the store within the next month.

I'm up that way occasionally. I'll swing by next time and check it out.

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:10 am 

Hello everyone, been coming here for years to check the product list and more recently lurking around the forums to gather good collecting info.

I've been collecting D&D since the early 1990s when I ran ads in the local paper.  I've got a room of games that reached a critical mass this past Fall and I've been selling off extra stuff on Ebay recently.

I started gaming in 1982 with Basic D&D and haven't stopped since.  My current game of choice is Castles and Crusades, though my group has been planning a AD&D 1e campaign lately.

This site is great as is the knowledge base of the collectors.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 31 of 135123 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 133134135