Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 29 of 135123 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:24 pm 

Andar, the Collector wrote:Greetings all,

Ran across this site through a search for info on AD&D collector cards.

Age 36. Been playing D&D games since '84.

I am in need of help finding traders, info on the '92, '93 TSR cards.

Peace

Hi, Andar.  Welcome.    8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:49 pm 

Hello all!

My name is Kurt, from Alabama. I'm 33 and started playing/collecting in 1981 when a buddy gave me all his duplicate material to help me learn to be a player after his other friends moved away. I was quickly hooked and began playing and collecting avidly. I was schooled in the art of DMing by a guy I met a couple of years later named, John. In thanks I gave him my 1E D&D (already a hard find around these parts) and a year later, when he moved away, he imparted to me a stack of characters and half a dozen modules. I miss that guy to this day...

At any rate, I developed a group of players and occasionally took the other side of the table as a player but mostly remained a DM for the next several years. I learned enough of 2E to guide some new, interested youngsters but lost interest (partly due to the seemingly constant poor bindings, erros, etc and mostly to my interest in girls).

Fortunately, I saved the bulk of my collection (even most of the dice), much to the chagrin of parents, girlfriends and a wife. Fast forward to around two years ago when one of my old friends suggesting pulling out our old troves and just "looking it over." In less than an hour, we had rolled up some characters and were back in business.

So, after cataloging our collections I jumped on the net and realized I had some gaping holes in my collection. Being of significantly higher funding in my current state, I've begun the long task of filling in the blanks (sometimes for collection, sometimes for playing) and have found nearly as much joy in that endeavor as the game itself. I'm no high-end horder but I maintain a growing stable of over 200 odds and ends, not counting dice, characters, etc.

I certainly don't have the large circle of interested parties anymore but the occasional game is a real delight. The old local bookstore (The Bookmonger) with the small back room for play is long gone as are all but one or two local clubs (I don't have the commitment time for either) but the passion stilll burns with all the fury of Smaug's wrath.

I doubt I'll ever advance into the newer versions of the games (I'm strictly pre-2E) but I do love seeing young blood being involved in the game's survival, in whatever version of the game they become immersed.

I look forward to hanging around here and furthering my encyclopedic knowledge of this large chunk of childhood indentity and making new friends. I truly did not mean for this to run so long...blame it on Gygax!

Alas, to this day, it's hard to top the magic of simply saying (or hearing), "Hey man, we need to get together this weekend and play some D&D!"

Wonderful site. Really. Kudos all around!

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:24 pm 

Hey all!

My name is Mike, and I've been collecting off and on since I first discovered the various for sale newsgroups on Usenet back in the mid 1990s. The collecting urge took hold back when my brother and I received the Dungeon! boardgame for Christmas in the early 80s. The TSR catalog listed all sorts of cool and mysterious D&D books that we couldn't find at the local toy store.

I currently work as an RPG developer at Wizards of the Coast. I thought one of the perks of the job was access to archives of everything D&D, but what's left of TSR's game library is surprisingly small. Apparently, it has gone through several winnowing out periods since WotC bought TSR back in 1997. Nothing's been thrown away, just sold to employees at steep discounts.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself. I've noticed several folks who have sold me items on eBay and outbid me on a few things.

Mike Mearls
RPG Developer, Wizards of the Coast

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:05 am 

Hi mearls.  Welcome.  Tell us a bit about your work at WOTC?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:46 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Hi mearls. Welcome. Tell us a bit about your work at WOTC?

Mark  8)

I suppose that Mike is under those pesky NDA (Non Disclosure Agreements) and so he will have to stay silent. Anyway, Mike, you will be pleased to know that the Italian edition of Dragon Magazine has written about you kind words "Mike Mearls is one of the rising stars of d20 system". I had just some little doubts when I noticed they used such a flattering language talking about an upcoming product of theirs you have writtem  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:24 am 

Well, I have serious doubts every time I read anything about d20 system. However that's the new market, and good luck to anyone who's in it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:49 am 

:D WELCOME ALL :D

It does my heart good to see how many of us there are out there. Zues bless the Internet!

Hi. My Name is ZippAnthropus, and I am a Geek.
I am not an uber geek, just a geek of the 4th or so level. I don't have computer hacking skills, but I do have nunchuck and boffa weapon skills.

http://www.ZippAnthropus.com

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:03 am 

nice cans.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:25 am 

red_bus wrote:nice cans.

Isn't that such a fun statement to use :D

* yes I know it's not politically correct but it's still fun *

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:19 pm 

mearls wrote:Hey all!

My name is Mike, and I've been collecting off and on since I first discovered the various for sale newsgroups on Usenet back in the mid 1990s. The collecting urge took hold back when my brother and I received the Dungeon! boardgame for Christmas in the early 80s. The TSR catalog listed all sorts of cool and mysterious D&D books that we couldn't find at the local toy store.

I currently work as an RPG developer at Wizards of the Coast. I thought one of the perks of the job was access to archives of everything D&D, but what's left of TSR's game library is surprisingly small. Apparently, it has gone through several winnowing out periods since WotC bought TSR back in 1997. Nothing's been thrown away, just sold to employees at steep discounts.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself. I've noticed several folks who have sold me items on eBay and outbid me on a few things.

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the Acaeum.  I was just packaging up the From the Ashes box set you bought from me when I noticed your post.  I went ahead and gave you a "free" upgrade on shipping to Priority mail.  You should have it in 3 days.

Paul   8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:00 pm 

Greeting all,
  My name is Thomas (call me Tom or Thomas, doesn't matter) and I both DM and play at my leisure.  I'm originally a Second Edition man but I'm taking a liking to First Edition.  I'm joing up because I'm starting a Forgotten Realms campaign next week.  It's in 1338 DR and I'm buying up old Realms material since it's going to be by original AD&D rules.  I figured this was a good place to be.  I still enjoy revised AD&D material especially Ravenloft.  Also do Greyhawk and Dragonlance.  Finally I confess that I dislike "3rd Edition" so please forgive me if I ever insult that which is dear to your heart.  I am as they say in the Middle Kingdom a "Left Behind Subject."
~Thomas

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:41 pm 

Left_Behind_Subject wrote:Finally I confess that I dislike "3rd Edition" so please forgive me if I ever insult that which is dear to your heart.~Thomas

Take it easy, you won't be alone!

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:49 pm 

Paul - Thanks for that upgrade. I'm still kicking myself for selling my original copy of From the Ashes back in high school for $10.

Mark - I can talk a bit about what I do in general terms. I'm a developer. I take the drafts of D&D manuscripts and check them for rules mistakes and inconsistencies. The best way to think of it is that the designer takes a tactical approach, while I take a strategic one. The designer's job is to push the edges of the system, and I serve to keep things functional and balanced.

Mike Mearls
RPG Developer, Wizards of the Coast

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:31 am 

mearls wrote:The designer's job is to push the edges of the system, and I serve to keep things functional and balanced.

So you're the DM, then?  :lol:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:53 pm 

Hi, I'm Scott, 38, live in Cleveland, married, two kids, etc. Started playing 1st ed. back in '81 or so, when I was in 8th grade. Some friends introduced me to it and we played during study halls in school. I played with various groups for several years, then we went to college, RPG's kinda fell by the wayside. I always maintained an interest in them, but never did much about it.

Then, in '98 or so, my neighbors in my townhouse block were moving out, and since we lived in sight of the dumpster, I couldn't help but notice they were throwing away boxes of things that looked interesting. So, I took some of our own garbage out and nonchalantly poked through their garbage. I found a box loaded with 1st. ed modules and books. I never knew my neighbor was even a player! There were about 60-70 items, mostly TSR, but a lot of JG and others. The best find was a mint R2 Hydell. Finding that stuff resparked my interest, and with the release of 3.0, I found a group about three years ago that I've been with since. We play 3rd simply because all the source material is there, and we all just like the system better. Right now we're playing the Serenity RPG. System sucks, but we like the setting.

So, even though I play 3rd, my heart's still with 1st. Something about just seems so... magical, I guess. I like that the books and everything aren't real slick and fancy like they are now. Very straighforward, with little fluff.

I found Acaeum by looking for a listing of all of TSR published products, because I wanted to start collecting the stuff I was missing. And, lo and behold, I discovered I'm not the only one! This is a great site, and I've been reading the forums with a lot of interest. I like the ridiculous price watch thread the best.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:21 pm 

Hello All!

Larry, 34, from California. Been lurking for a while and found the Acaeum to be extremely useful while rebuilding my collection of old school D&D stuff. I used to DM quite a bit in my earlier years ( 9-18 ) but after high school other matters became more important (college, work, women, ...not neccessarily in that order, you know the drill hehehe). Anyway thought I would break down, sign up, and say hello.

Hello =)

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:38 pm 

Welcome - hope it is warmer in California than here in London (shivers).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:44 pm 

Just slightly warmer hehehe, and thanks for the welcome! I would imagine London right now as icy, cold, and dreary.  I am a fan of the cold however =)

Okay, I can't help but ask, but what exactly is a "potato wedger"? - bclarkie

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 29 of 135123 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 133134135