Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 28 of 135123 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 133134135
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:13 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Another Wisconsinite! Soon, we shall rule the boards. It is our legacy after all.

Damn right! :wink:

We just need to formulate a plan against all these English/UK invaders  :lol:

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:36 pm 

Plaag wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Another Wisconsinite! Soon, we shall rule the boards. It is our legacy after all.

We just need to formulate a plan against all these English/UK invaders :lol:

ShaneG.

bah no chance.

if it wasnt for us, you would be still sitting in mudhuts :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:09 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Plaag wrote:

We just need to formulate a plan against all these English/UK invaders :lol:

ShaneG.

bah no chance.

if it wasnt for us, you would be still sitting in mudhuts :)

What do you mean would be?

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:42 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Where did you find that avatar? I haven't seen a sleestak since, well, whenever The Land of the Lost stopped airing.

Actually, I "made" it, back in 1992, using a very expensive (at the time) video capture board. At that time, I wrote a ginormous episode guide of Land of the Lost for Epilog magazine. in 1995 I made that into a crappy website, which was never maintained and died in 2000 when I switched ISPs. This particular image ended up being swiped and was made into bootleg items like mousepads and lighters.

Back in 1981 I made a D&D module of the Lost City. The Sleestak could cause fear with their hissing, regenerated like trolls, and were good at grappling (so they could throw you in the pit), but you could laugh in their face when it came to their crappy miniature crossbows. They also moved REALLY slowly and you were pretty safe if you had a torch with you.

- Nels

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:11 pm 

Beware_of_Sleestak wrote:Back in 1981 I made a D&D module of the Lost City. The Sleestak could cause fear with their hissing, regenerated like trolls, and were good at grappling (so they could throw you in the pit), but you could laugh in their face when it came to their crappy miniature crossbows. They also moved REALLY slowly and you were pretty safe if you had a torch with you.

And what about those cool glowing gems?

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:19 pm 

I'm yet another thirty-something gamer. My granny bought me the Erol Otus-covered basic D&D set in about 1980 after I had been fascinated (and had nightmares from :oops:) reading the Warlock of Firetop Mountain. I got hold of a copy of the UK book 'What is Dungeons and Dragons? ('everyone's playing the game from stock brokers to bricklayers' I think was the cover line). I had never read anything like it and forced my brother, sister and friends to play what must have been the most childish games of all time. I seem to remember after we had been playing a bit and I had got hold of AD&D and the Village of Hommlett we got obsessed with buying and training war dogs, and whose dogs were the most ferocious, etc etc - you get the idea.

I built up a huge collection of games - nothing esoteric, but lots of it: Chivalry and Sorcery, Bushido, Other Suns, Aftermath, FASA Star Trek, Champions, CoC, Runequest. We never got round to playing any of them, but settled to AD&D, and later Runequest with a bit of first Edition Call of Cthulhu - maybe I was growing up a bit. After years of gaming the group split up. I had put together six or seven issues of a crappy UK fanzine with my friend, which is pretty cringe-worthy now, but showed how obsessed we were at the time. I ended up selling a lot of my collection which I now (of course) regret. I had most 2nd Edition products - all the Planescape stuff and GreyHawk From the Ashes-era supplements and a few original 1st Edition bits and pieces.

My wife now shakes her head and says 'You used to have that, didn't you, I recognise the chainmail bikini on the cover of that...didn't you sell it?, so I'm gradually replacing all the stuff I should never have sold. And I'm now even making an effort to read most of it if I can. At one time I thought I had eventually 'outgrown' gaming.....

Now I know better.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:36 pm 

Don't feel bad, Danger Mouse, I did worse then sell stuff...

...I threw it out. That was many years ago, and I have since regained all that I have lost and more...except for my Dragon Mags that were stolen. At least I got me the Dragon Magazine Archive CDs (Issues 1-250).

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:03 am 

Danger Mouse wrote:wife now shakes her head and says 'You used to have that, didn't you, I recognise the chainmail bikini on the cover of that...didn't you sell it?, so I'm gradually replacing all the stuff I should never have sold. And I'm now even making an effort to read most of it if I can. At one time I thought I had eventually 'outgrown' gaming.....

Now I know better.

hey DM! welcome to the forum :) nice to see another UK'er here. we aint so few now, we can sort these yanks out a bit :D

and dont worry, you are not on your own. my mum thinks i am insane, my sister thinks they should lock me up. me dad thinks i am a geek, my daughter thinks its paradise :D and most other ppl think i just simply have far too much time on my hands and should get a life :D

ah well, cant please everyone :D

hope you enjoy your stay and join in the many discussions!

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:41 am 

eBay name: Tauglorimorgorus

Hello fellow collectors. I don't see many peeps from Spain here so I hope some messages me saying hi!.

I started playing D&D back in 1984. RPGs were absolutely unknown in Spain but some cousin brought the red boxed set from New York and we started delving in "that weird game"

Time has passed and I have become an absolute fanatic of this game. After spending most of my weekends in these 21 years of playing testing every single game setting and teaching others to play, I have become a quite avid collector of everything d&d related.

I have even done some traveling for the sake of collecting, turning many game stores upside down in search of that hard to find module.

I am proud to say I am maybe the biggest d&d collector in Spain. I dare you all spanish collectors out there to challenge me!! (and I also welcome you to swap some stuff, too)

Last easter I took the chance to visit Tokyo and in a very small store I found some japanese language d&d books. They were simply beautiful BUT I couldnt buy them at that time (I am planning to go back to Tokyo just to get my mitts on that stuff if it is still there!)

eBay has become an easy way of getting some cool d&d stuff that I already quested for for years. I have even seen that some forum members have been wondering who that newbie investing money like a fool was. Well, it was me.

I don't care about some members calling me a noob, a fool or whatever. Buyers set prices in collecting and I know what I need and I know the relative value of every module by my own research.

If I am willing to invest 400 bucks on a module you think it is worth 200, dont flame me. I got my reasons. Also, people thinking I will always outbid them like crazy are in for a surprise.

I expect some help from you, not competition, and I wanna make some new friends that share my adoration for the best game ever created.

Un saludo para todos!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:19 am 

noob is such a fun word :)

hello there! welcome to the forum and please join in the discussions. most here know your ebay ID very well, so at least when you post messages, you will need no introduction :)

have fun!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:24 am 

Welcome, Garion....and you should be safe now.  It is bad form to flame Acaeum members without severe provocation.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:20 am 

hey,

i used to post on here awhile ago, and stalk ebay for deals.  then i took an all expense paid trip to the middle east for awhile.  nice place, but not many used books stores or gaming stores.  not much internet access either.  so now i'm back to start filling out my collection again (once i get my cable modem back).  hope i haven't missed too much while i was gone...

-dave

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:41 am 

Good day. I'm Guerret (although my documents state differently) from Italy, I'm 28, and I've always been an (A)D&D fan.

I began playing in 1984, like many other Italians did, when the D&D basic red box was published in Italian. I still keep playing AD&D 2nd edition (I abhor the third edition), on a weekly basis, with my group of enthusiastic players.

Many people (well, including me) say I'm a good master. I try my best to create plots which are exciting, coherent, and non-linear. I usually create a main plot which spans a campaign lasting years (yes, years), in which there are a huge number of subplots, most of which I create "on the fly", based on what the characters do, whom they meet and so on.

I like many settings, but my area of expertise is Forgotten Realms. I'd dare say I'm the biggest FR expert in Italy, and no one has yet succeeded in contradicting me.

Although I have been playing for 21 years now, only early this year did I begin actively collecting TSR items. Previously everything I bought was only meant to be used for playing. Therefore I do not have a huge AD&D collection (although most people outside this forum would say the contrary). I have almost finished my FR collection, I'm missing some 10-15 items out of over 130, and I am also moving on to collecting other sections.

I knew this website and have used it for reference sometimes, but never entered the forum. However, recently, Badmike (from whom I made a large purchase) suggested me to come here, and I followed his advice. I suppose there is no better place to find good information about TSR collectables.

See you!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:10 pm 

guerret wrote:
Although I have been playing for 21 years now, only early this year did I begin actively collecting TSR items. Previously everything I bought was only meant to be used for playing. Therefore I do not have a huge AD&D collection (although most people outside this forum would say the contrary). I have almost finished my FR collection, I'm missing some 10-15 items out of over 130, and I am also moving on to collecting other sections.

I knew this website and have used it for reference sometimes, but never entered the forum. However, recently, Badmike (from whom I made a large purchase) suggested me to come here, and I followed his advice. I suppose there is no better place to find good information about TSR collectables.

See you!

Welcome to the Acaeum!  The above statements will endear you to many of the dealers who also make there presence known on these boards!!!  :lol:  In general most of the people here are hard core collectors like yourself and there is no better reference for D&D online.  As a matter of fact, you will find yourself spending more money once you peruse the Library here and see what else you need to have  :twisted: Plus lots of your countrymen make their way to these boards so you will soon feel at home. Hope you will contribute when you can....

Mike B.

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 12:39 pm 

Greetings all,

Ran across this site through a search for info on AD&D collector cards.

Age 36. Been playing D&D games since '84.

I am in need of help finding traders, info on the '92, '93 TSR cards.

Peace

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:38 pm 

welcome back dsaunders and hello to guerret and andar! hope y'all enjoy the forums and contribute to the many discussed topics!

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:04 am 

Hi, ny name is Sean.  I'm 35 years old and started playing D&D circa 1980.  Like most people here, my first adventure played was Keep on the Borderlands and I was instantly hooked.  My playing days are pretty much over as I haven't in over a decade.  I started expanding my collection a few years ago when I discovered you could find a lot of great stuff on eBay.  I collect mostly original D&D, 1st edition AD&D (and some 2nd edition).  I've probably got around 200 hundred items, mostly from the Mystara and Dragonlance worlds.  I don't really have a favorite as I like just everything, it's all such a nostalgia hit!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:55 pm 

Welcome, Sheeadog.   8)

Hang around here long enough and you'll start to get the old itch to play.   :lol:

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 28 of 135123 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 133134135