Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 26 of 135123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:28 pm 

shaggymatt36 wrote: My best memories are the first few games of D&D or travelling up to London and spending a few quid on citadel minis at the only Games Workshop branch. In those days on saturday afternoons the place was bedlam, completly packed out and you had to scribble the catalogue no`s on a scrap of paper and hand this over to the beleaguered assistant who after much searching through loose figures in drawers would announce that everything you wanted was out of stock except FA3 cleric with cross. Happy days!!

hey chummer!

nice to see you finally made your way to here at long last :D

enjoy and welcome!! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:26 am 

shaggymatt36 wrote:My best memories are the first few games of D&D or travelling up to London and spending a few quid on citadel minis at the only Games Workshop branch. In those days on saturday afternoons the place was bedlam, completly packed out and you had to scribble the catalogue no`s on a scrap of paper and hand this over to the beleaguered assistant who after much searching through loose figures in drawers would announce that everything you wanted was out of stock except FA3 cleric with cross. Happy days!!

Hi Matt

I might well have brushed shoulders with you. :D

I remember that fat-faced cleric too.  He reminded me of Charles Laughton (shows his age)  :wink:

I must dig out FA3.  I think it's one of the few I got round to painting.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:04 am 

johnhuck wrote:I remember that fat-faced cleric too. He reminded me of Charles Laughton (shows his age) :wink:

What did I tell you?
FA - 1981 Catalog
Charles Laughton - IMDb

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:27 pm 

Hi
I am a newbie to this and starting my vintage collection.  Just bid on a few items on ebay and hoping not to get ripped off.  I have been to this site several times and my wife told me to finally register.  Hope I can have as much fun as many of you seem to have.

Logan

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:46 pm 

Welcome the the site Logan.

warhammerfanticone wrote:my wife told me to finally register

But I think that your wife may well come to regret her request! :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:43 pm 

warhammerfanticone wrote:Hi
I am a newbie to this and starting my vintage collection. Just bid on a few items on ebay and hoping not to get ripped off. I have been to this site several times and my wife told me to finally register. Hope I can have as much fun as many of you seem to have.

Logan

hey logan!

welcome to the site chummer. enjoy the stay and join in the discussions!

what stuff you looking to collect? many here have most items that are out there and can steer you to most places too....and also help you stop getting tripped up along the way :)

good luck with your finds :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:48 am 

Some of you will have seen my first and only thread seeking help in disposing of my FRPG collection, but on the possibility that I may still pop in for a visit when that is done and dusted (when more stuff emerges in the house move as it is bound to do!):

I'm Nick, from Highgate in North London, aged 41. Started playing D&D in 1977 aged 13 at Welwyn Garden City Wargames Club in Herts should any former (I almost said "old"  :wink: ) members are lurking here. Stopped around 1982 when University took over.

Always an historical wargamer, board and miniatures, too but now even that has died a death. That and my "Magic: The Gathering" collection are next disposal projects after this!

That will leave me as an active board gamer and chess player. If you are in the wider hobby you may see me at the Boardgamegeek site under the same tagline, in a few chess sites or at Muswell Hill Chess Club see MHCC :: Contents or gaming at Swiggers Club see Swiggers Games Club or at the Graduate Centre in Cambridge (contact Sumo at BGG for an invite).

Most recently was playing Mussolini in an awesome 150 player megagame of WW2 1942-45 - see The Last War.

Nice site this - but guys I think you outgeek even the boardgamegeek community!  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:05 am 

notquitekarpov wrote:Nice site this - but guys I think you outgeek even the boardgamegeek community! :wink:

*waves*

i think we will take that as a compliment anyway. :D

imo, if something is worth doing, its worth doing properly

;)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:23 pm 

Hi!

My name is Derek. I'm 34, been in to D&D at various times in my life since 1981.

I'm an old school gamer, I play AD&D regularly now. I also like to collect AD&D materials too! I have an eye for old printings of the PHB, and DMG that are in good shape ... also I love the old miniatures! Old Grenadier, Citadel, Ral ....

I buy some of the classic modules from time to time.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:05 pm 

Hi Derek, Welcome to the Acaeum. As Al would say "most of the guys are good chummers here."  Enjoy and participate regularly

:D

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:38 pm 

pleveich wrote:Hi Derek, Welcome to the Acaeum. As Al would say "most of the guys are good chummers here." Enjoy and participate regularly

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

heheheh :D

awww man you nicked my line!!! :)

hi derek, and welcome to the forum - join in the discussions and let us know what RPGs you like etc

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:09 pm 

Hi all, I'm Lewis, I'm 34 and I'm an alcoholic. Sorry course of habit :D

Been playing D'n'D in various guises for years with the exception of a seven year stint of a very long Runequest campaign. I play every monday with a really great bunch of roleplayers and enjoy it as much, if not more, than I did when I started aged 11.

I collect mostly Ad&d altho a few other bits make their way to me as well. Don't have the financial clout to collect anything but the fairly common stuff but it's still a fun little hobby for 30 quid or so a month! If I ever end up with a decent job (some chance!) I'll get a bit more serious! Right now, having a new gf things collecting-wise are going through a quiet patch until such time as she understands what I see in it all!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:47 pm 

Hi Lewis.

Nice to see another name I recognise from eBay joining the ranks.

Cheers.

John.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:16 pm 

johnhuck wrote:Hi Lewis.

Nice to see another name I recognise from eBay joining the ranks.

Cheers.

John.

ueah i will second that - hello lewis!!

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:13 am 

Hi Lewis  :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:41 am 

I'm new.  Don't hurt me!

--bonk!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:46 pm 

well hello there.....bonk !

so how did your name come about then? being hit over the head with a mace and you thought...wow that sound will make a cool name?

welcome :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:08 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:well hello there.....bonk !

so how did your name come about then? being hit over the head with a mace and you thought...wow that sound will make a cool name?

welcome :)

Al

Thanks Al (killjoy32).  

YES, the name is rather onomatopoetic* like that, and your guess is a very close one...  It's the sound that our goofy DM liked to use for almost every weapon strike in our games.  Very ineffective for setting the mood when, say, blade weapons were being used!  But he didn't care.  Became sort of a running joke.

*I would like an award for using this word properly in a sentence... one of those orange cover B3 modules would be nice...  ty <grin>

Sincerely,
bonk!

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 26 of 135123 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 133134135