Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 25 of 135123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:13 am 

There are others on the Acaeum site?  This is so much like an episode of Lost!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:29 pm 

First post for me here. Names Pat or Maraudar depending on who knows me. Started playing in 1980 when I was 13. Got out of playing for a long while but kept all my stuff. I have a good run of Dragon Mags and most of the 1e AD&D stuff.

Pat

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:39 pm 

Maraudar wrote:First post for me here. Names Pat or Maraudar depending on who knows me. Started playing in 1980 when I was 13. Got out of playing for a long while but kept all my stuff. I have a good run of Dragon Mags and most of the 1e AD&D stuff.

Pat

*waves*

hello pat and welcome to the forum :D

they are a good-ish bunch here mostly (:D) so join in and enjoy :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:42 pm 

Thanks Killjoy.. I see alot of familiar names here that I know from other boards and collecting is near and dear to the heart. Wish I had the time to do more of it but the wife watches me like a hawk where thats concerned  :roll: ....

Pat

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:19 pm 

Maraudar wrote:Thanks Killjoy.. I see alot of familiar names here that I know from other boards and collecting is near and dear to the heart. Wish I had the time to do more of it but the wife watches me like a hawk where thats concerned :roll: ....

Pat

build a shed in the garden and tell her you have to go work on something....pc out there and there you go! youre sorted :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:28 am 

That is one thing that often puzzles me....why do hawks always seem to disapprove of game collecting?   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:42 pm 

I'm definitely a johnny-come-lately to this board, and this thread has been around a while, but I thought I would introduce myself nonetheless.

I guess I fit the classic mold of the collector: male, mid-30s, been playing since 1978. Started with the Basic Boxed Set with the monochrome B1 and the cheap-o dice that wouldn't roll straight. I've been playing D&D ever since.

I'm not a prude, mind you. I experimented with other systems when I was younger; Tunnels and Trolls, Runequest, Top Secret!, Traveller, Morrow Project, Call of Cthulhu. The 80's were a wild time and experimentation was pretty normal. We were innocent; we didn't know about market saturation and optimized production frontiers. We thought TSR was going to last forever. Hasbro made Mr. Potato Head, for goodness sake -- how could we have known?

But though I may have been sowing some wild oats, I always stayed faithful to D&D in my heart. Well, except for that trial separation we went through in the 90's when D&D was all caught up in its "look at me, I'm all self-actualized and 2nd edition, now" phase. I spent most of that decade seeking comfort in the arms of Call of Cthulhu.  But now that D&D and I have both moved comfortably into middle age, not even WoTC can come between us.  

I've been collecting D&D stuff on and off again since 1990. At first it was just 1st edition AD&D modules. I didn't have a problem, I was in control. Then I started picking up the basic, expert, companion, master and immortal modules, "because I'm only missing a few anyway." But I could have stopped any time. Really. In fact, I didn't add anything to my collection for nearly 7 years while I was living overseas.

Then in 1998, shortly after I returned to the States, I discovered e-bay. Gone were the days when "collecting" meant driving to conventions and deal with sweaty gamers in halls that smelled like that funky stuff in the back of my fridge. That was the end of restraint. Now I collect TSR D&D stuff according to a purely internal code of logic and follow e-bay auctions like a street aristocrat follows the price fluctuations of a 40-ounce bottle of Colt 45. I'm still short a couple of items for this collection of mine, but I know that with patience, luck, and the utter willingness to burgle an orphanage for a copy of TSR 9518 Treasure Tales, eventually I will succeed.

"Remember, wherever you go... there you are."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:32 pm 

Hi everyone.. Charles here. I'm 28 and started gaming back in 1989. Our group initially played AD&D and Battletech, and dabbled with Robotech and Shadowrun. My gaming died off after High School, which is when I started my collecting phase (mainly consisting of games that I buy but haven't played).

My RPG collecting consists primarily of 1st and 2nd AD&D (although I do have a few of the d20 Core books), Middle-earth Roleplaying, varoius World of Darkness books, and miscelaneous games, including quite a few electronic versions of oop books.

As for CCG's, I've got a moderate collection of M:tG, Jyhad, and Middle-earth: The Wizards, and again, the miscelaneous, random game.

My books center around Sci-Fi/Fantasy, with Tolkien being the bulk of it.

I've recently moved back to my hometown and discovered a gaming store down the street. Hopefully my girlfriend and I can decide on a game to play and join a group there....

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:09 pm 

Hi there folks. Matt obviously! 38 years and counting. A long time lurker twiddling my thumbs and finally decided to register today.
Started roleplaying at school about 1979 with AD&D and a little traveller. Amassed a huge collection of stuff which I gave away/sold/loaned etc and never saw again after I went to college. Have recently been collecting again on ebay and carboots everything I used to own or wanted originally and couldn`t afford to buy.
My best memories are the first few games of D&D or travelling up to London and spending a few quid on citadel minis at the only Games Workshop branch. In those days on saturday afternoons the place was bedlam, completly packed out and you had to scribble the catalogue no`s on a scrap of paper and hand this over to the beleaguered assistant who after much searching through loose figures in drawers would announce that everything you wanted was out of stock except FA3 cleric with cross. Happy days!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:12 pm 

Could've been Chag, I s'pose? :P

Greetings! (And to other ppl signed up recently). Always interesting to see where people have come from to get here ;))

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:28 pm 

shaggymatt36 wrote: My best memories are the first few games of D&D or travelling up to London and spending a few quid on citadel minis at the only Games Workshop branch. In those days on saturday afternoons the place was bedlam, completly packed out and you had to scribble the catalogue no`s on a scrap of paper and hand this over to the beleaguered assistant who after much searching through loose figures in drawers would announce that everything you wanted was out of stock except FA3 cleric with cross. Happy days!!

hey chummer!

nice to see you finally made your way to here at long last :D

enjoy and welcome!! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:26 am 

shaggymatt36 wrote:My best memories are the first few games of D&D or travelling up to London and spending a few quid on citadel minis at the only Games Workshop branch. In those days on saturday afternoons the place was bedlam, completly packed out and you had to scribble the catalogue no`s on a scrap of paper and hand this over to the beleaguered assistant who after much searching through loose figures in drawers would announce that everything you wanted was out of stock except FA3 cleric with cross. Happy days!!

Hi Matt

I might well have brushed shoulders with you. :D

I remember that fat-faced cleric too.  He reminded me of Charles Laughton (shows his age)  :wink:

I must dig out FA3.  I think it's one of the few I got round to painting.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:04 am 

johnhuck wrote:I remember that fat-faced cleric too. He reminded me of Charles Laughton (shows his age) :wink:

What did I tell you?
FA - 1981 Catalog
Charles Laughton - IMDb

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:27 pm 

Hi
I am a newbie to this and starting my vintage collection.  Just bid on a few items on ebay and hoping not to get ripped off.  I have been to this site several times and my wife told me to finally register.  Hope I can have as much fun as many of you seem to have.

Logan

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:46 pm 

Welcome the the site Logan.

warhammerfanticone wrote:my wife told me to finally register

But I think that your wife may well come to regret her request! :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:43 pm 

warhammerfanticone wrote:Hi
I am a newbie to this and starting my vintage collection. Just bid on a few items on ebay and hoping not to get ripped off. I have been to this site several times and my wife told me to finally register. Hope I can have as much fun as many of you seem to have.

Logan

hey logan!

welcome to the site chummer. enjoy the stay and join in the discussions!

what stuff you looking to collect? many here have most items that are out there and can steer you to most places too....and also help you stop getting tripped up along the way :)

good luck with your finds :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:48 am 

Some of you will have seen my first and only thread seeking help in disposing of my FRPG collection, but on the possibility that I may still pop in for a visit when that is done and dusted (when more stuff emerges in the house move as it is bound to do!):

I'm Nick, from Highgate in North London, aged 41. Started playing D&D in 1977 aged 13 at Welwyn Garden City Wargames Club in Herts should any former (I almost said "old"  :wink: ) members are lurking here. Stopped around 1982 when University took over.

Always an historical wargamer, board and miniatures, too but now even that has died a death. That and my "Magic: The Gathering" collection are next disposal projects after this!

That will leave me as an active board gamer and chess player. If you are in the wider hobby you may see me at the Boardgamegeek site under the same tagline, in a few chess sites or at Muswell Hill Chess Club see MHCC :: Contents or gaming at Swiggers Club see Swiggers Games Club or at the Graduate Centre in Cambridge (contact Sumo at BGG for an invite).

Most recently was playing Mussolini in an awesome 150 player megagame of WW2 1942-45 - see The Last War.

Nice site this - but guys I think you outgeek even the boardgamegeek community!  :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:05 am 

notquitekarpov wrote:Nice site this - but guys I think you outgeek even the boardgamegeek community! :wink:

*waves*

i think we will take that as a compliment anyway. :D

imo, if something is worth doing, its worth doing properly

;)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 25 of 135123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 133134135