Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 25 of 135123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 133134135
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:26 pm 

Greyharp wrote:Yep, it was the Gs & Ds....  

I dont know who you spoke with about them not being rare treasures, but if you have the Aussie D & G series, I would be happy to take those off your hands. Then again I would imagine that I am not the only one here that would be interested. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:24 pm 

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Greyharp wrote:
Can't think of any other than the Gs & Ds... Confused

(Or should that have read "Basic Rules Set", Greyharp?

Yep, it was the Gs & Ds

OK, if I read all that right, would the Acaeum member who was presumably trying to scam you please hang their head in shame.

Or was that Acaeum members??? :(

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I don't know what condition your copies are in, but I know if they are in good nick I probably wouldn't hesitate to throw $500 US in your direction if you were selling...

Congrats on picking those up ("first hand" purchase?). :)

(OK, now I'm pissed off.... :( :()

Greyharp wrote:
Be patient on the White Box and you should be able to pick up a decent set for $60 or so (US dollars, that is). Good luck!

I'm kicking myself for missing out on a white box set for $45 from a website The Hit Pointe recently. The box was badly damaged, but what they hey, I would've done some unobtrusive repair work. I'll get a set one day of course :D

My recommendation is still "hold fire".

People are getting fussy about condition and the premium for a fairly good set isn't that high. (Indeed, at one point last year, the poor sets were generally selling for more money!! People thinking they'd snag a bargain, etc...).

When the prices are low, it should also be possible to pick up a good set of the books (without box) for ~$25; should you wish to /try/ to use  those, too! ;)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:00 pm 

well my advice is if someone offers you something for anything, post a msg on here and ask what an item is worth. someone is bound to know about most items around, so that way, you will get a fair idea of the value of your items :D

and then voila, no more ppl getting narked :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:07 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:and then voila, no more ppl getting narked :)

*nod nods vigorously*

Good advice, Al... :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:17 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:and then voila, no more ppl getting narked :)

*nod nods vigorously*

Good advice, Al... :)

Kind of shame that someone here would try and take advantage of a new board member like that.  That is not what the forum is about. :(

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:20 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Greyharp wrote:Yep, it was the Gs & Ds....

I dont know who you spoke with about them not being rare treasures, but if you have the Aussie D & G series, I would be happy to take those off your hands. Then again I would imagine that I am not the only one here that would be interested. :wink:

Ut oh.  I hope you weren't looking at this (it was meant to be sarcastic):

acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=31736& ... dl36#31736

The aussie editions are very real, and quite valuable, and look similar to the one shown on this page:

acaeum.com/DDIndexes/ModPages/Foreign/G ... G1for.html

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:36 pm 

*reads back up to the possibly contradictory statements*

"setting me straight when I thought I had rare treasures, only to find that they were foreign (Australian) editions of modules"

vs.

"Yep, it was the Gs & Ds, although I do have "aussie" copies of the Basic Rules Set and PHB."

I only got as far as the "was" first time. :?

Please run that past me again, Greyharp. :)

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:08 am 

if they are in good nick I probably wouldn't hesitate to throw $500 US in your direction

blimey harami, you almost make me consider the idea and I certainly had no idea that they are THAT collectible.

But to clarify my previous comments, whoever it was I was in contact with at the Acaeum site (not here on the forum), was very helpful and honest. I thought I'd had items that the Acaeum crew were unaware of and got excited, but he explained that they were Australian editions of the modules. He then went on to say that they were VERY collectible to some collectors, but certainly not the unknown or unique items I thought them to be.

And sorry harami, I didn't mean to confuse the issue, I have the Australian D1,2 & 3, G1,2 & 3 (the same as the one deimos pointed out in the link), as well as the Jedko games PHB (which is "Identical to the Ninth print (and later) US version"). I have led you all astray on Basic Rules though, I thought I had the aussie blue/black Holmes basic rulebook, but I've just dragged it out and sadly discovered it's the blue/black/white US version.

So to sum up, no need for anyone to get narked, the Acaeum crew can still hold their heads up high. I'm not a big time collector, I'm just happy to have one of every item, no matter what print number it is. I'm not even overly concerned with condition, which is why a battered white box set would make me happy (and thanks for the advice on waiting for one harami). But thanks to all for my welcome to the forum and so valiantly coming to my defence, even though it was a misunderstanding. It seems the forum is as decent a bunch of people as I've found on the Acaeum site.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:13 am 

There are others on the Acaeum site?  This is so much like an episode of Lost!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:29 pm 

First post for me here. Names Pat or Maraudar depending on who knows me. Started playing in 1980 when I was 13. Got out of playing for a long while but kept all my stuff. I have a good run of Dragon Mags and most of the 1e AD&D stuff.

Pat

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:39 pm 

Maraudar wrote:First post for me here. Names Pat or Maraudar depending on who knows me. Started playing in 1980 when I was 13. Got out of playing for a long while but kept all my stuff. I have a good run of Dragon Mags and most of the 1e AD&D stuff.

Pat

*waves*

hello pat and welcome to the forum :D

they are a good-ish bunch here mostly (:D) so join in and enjoy :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:42 pm 

Thanks Killjoy.. I see alot of familiar names here that I know from other boards and collecting is near and dear to the heart. Wish I had the time to do more of it but the wife watches me like a hawk where thats concerned  :roll: ....

Pat

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:19 pm 

Maraudar wrote:Thanks Killjoy.. I see alot of familiar names here that I know from other boards and collecting is near and dear to the heart. Wish I had the time to do more of it but the wife watches me like a hawk where thats concerned :roll: ....

Pat

build a shed in the garden and tell her you have to go work on something....pc out there and there you go! youre sorted :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:28 am 

That is one thing that often puzzles me....why do hawks always seem to disapprove of game collecting?   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:42 pm 

I'm definitely a johnny-come-lately to this board, and this thread has been around a while, but I thought I would introduce myself nonetheless.

I guess I fit the classic mold of the collector: male, mid-30s, been playing since 1978. Started with the Basic Boxed Set with the monochrome B1 and the cheap-o dice that wouldn't roll straight. I've been playing D&D ever since.

I'm not a prude, mind you. I experimented with other systems when I was younger; Tunnels and Trolls, Runequest, Top Secret!, Traveller, Morrow Project, Call of Cthulhu. The 80's were a wild time and experimentation was pretty normal. We were innocent; we didn't know about market saturation and optimized production frontiers. We thought TSR was going to last forever. Hasbro made Mr. Potato Head, for goodness sake -- how could we have known?

But though I may have been sowing some wild oats, I always stayed faithful to D&D in my heart. Well, except for that trial separation we went through in the 90's when D&D was all caught up in its "look at me, I'm all self-actualized and 2nd edition, now" phase. I spent most of that decade seeking comfort in the arms of Call of Cthulhu.  But now that D&D and I have both moved comfortably into middle age, not even WoTC can come between us.  

I've been collecting D&D stuff on and off again since 1990. At first it was just 1st edition AD&D modules. I didn't have a problem, I was in control. Then I started picking up the basic, expert, companion, master and immortal modules, "because I'm only missing a few anyway." But I could have stopped any time. Really. In fact, I didn't add anything to my collection for nearly 7 years while I was living overseas.

Then in 1998, shortly after I returned to the States, I discovered e-bay. Gone were the days when "collecting" meant driving to conventions and deal with sweaty gamers in halls that smelled like that funky stuff in the back of my fridge. That was the end of restraint. Now I collect TSR D&D stuff according to a purely internal code of logic and follow e-bay auctions like a street aristocrat follows the price fluctuations of a 40-ounce bottle of Colt 45. I'm still short a couple of items for this collection of mine, but I know that with patience, luck, and the utter willingness to burgle an orphanage for a copy of TSR 9518 Treasure Tales, eventually I will succeed.

"Remember, wherever you go... there you are."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:32 pm 

Hi everyone.. Charles here. I'm 28 and started gaming back in 1989. Our group initially played AD&D and Battletech, and dabbled with Robotech and Shadowrun. My gaming died off after High School, which is when I started my collecting phase (mainly consisting of games that I buy but haven't played).

My RPG collecting consists primarily of 1st and 2nd AD&D (although I do have a few of the d20 Core books), Middle-earth Roleplaying, varoius World of Darkness books, and miscelaneous games, including quite a few electronic versions of oop books.

As for CCG's, I've got a moderate collection of M:tG, Jyhad, and Middle-earth: The Wizards, and again, the miscelaneous, random game.

My books center around Sci-Fi/Fantasy, with Tolkien being the bulk of it.

I've recently moved back to my hometown and discovered a gaming store down the street. Hopefully my girlfriend and I can decide on a game to play and join a group there....

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:09 pm 

Hi there folks. Matt obviously! 38 years and counting. A long time lurker twiddling my thumbs and finally decided to register today.
Started roleplaying at school about 1979 with AD&D and a little traveller. Amassed a huge collection of stuff which I gave away/sold/loaned etc and never saw again after I went to college. Have recently been collecting again on ebay and carboots everything I used to own or wanted originally and couldn`t afford to buy.
My best memories are the first few games of D&D or travelling up to London and spending a few quid on citadel minis at the only Games Workshop branch. In those days on saturday afternoons the place was bedlam, completly packed out and you had to scribble the catalogue no`s on a scrap of paper and hand this over to the beleaguered assistant who after much searching through loose figures in drawers would announce that everything you wanted was out of stock except FA3 cleric with cross. Happy days!!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:12 pm 

Could've been Chag, I s'pose? :P

Greetings! (And to other ppl signed up recently). Always interesting to see where people have come from to get here ;))

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 25 of 135123 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 133134135