Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 24 of 135123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:37 pm 

Winterwords wrote:Yes, it is. See this page Page Not Found

:-)

Duh...and I know I've read that before, because I remember the last ("greedy sellers") line. Guess I assumed it wouldn't be covered here 'cause it's so recent, but it is 1E. Thanks Winter.

And how could I forget my Arneson collection? That's probably dearest to my heart, but I've stored it away in a nuclear-proof container for the past few years, so it slipped my mind. Here's how the story goes...

I was selling a Gazetteer module on eBay and who was the winning bidder? None other than Dave Arneson! Apparently he was trying to collect three of every item he'd ever written/contributed to. (I've heard this time and time again. I'll never understand how writers do not have 100 copies of everything they've every done, but I digress...) I found out, through a couple of e-mails to one another, that he was teaching a class in FL at the same school my brother was attending. I promptly shipped DA1, DA2, DA3, the Blackmoor supplement and First Fantasy Campaign down to have him sign them. If I'd have thought about if for a moment, I would've had the box set or booklets from the set signed, but I wasn't thinking particulary straight at that point and then again, I don't know if I'd trust my brother THAT far!

EDIT: spelling

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:52 am 

Uncle Monkey here!  Saw DnDGeek's recent 'first time poster long time lurker' mail and thought I'd take the plunge and finally sign up to this fine website's BBS.  As for an intro, here goes : 37, male, borderline simian, been a player and collector - and massive Greyhawk and TSR UK afficionado - since 1980 though I haven't played since moving back to the UK seven years ago from foreign climes. I get my D&D RPG kicks these days playing Neverwinter Nights - some good homebrew mods out there for gratis, Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh being the most recent.

As for rare stuff, nothing too out the ordinary. 90% of the Greyhawk 1st and 2nd ed modules et al, every issue of Imagine magazine (other than the ellusive issue 2), plus a load of 1st ed Finnish translations I picked up whilst living there for four years.  Maybes I'll get my mitts on ST1 without having to sell a kidney on the black market first!

Best collecting memory : picking up 20 copies of Imagine (including number 1) for 20 quid on Yahoo Auctions back in the day.
Worst collecting memory : losing my mint copy of Vecna Lives moving house back in 96!  The horror, the horror .... .

Currently ensconced at mia casa in Newbury in Berkshire though a former longterm resident of sunny Leicester, whose inept footy team fellow Anglos might have heard getting put to the sword on Saturday at the start of what promises to be yet another lousy season!

Best Regards,
Uncle Monkey

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:17 am 

I just thought I'd post a note as I've just found this site. I've been a gamer for over 20 years, having started playing D&D in 1982. I'm a huge Gamma World fan, but I'll always have a soft spot for the game that got me started, AD&D. I've gathered a decent collection, nothing terribly rare, mostly stuff I've had since the mid-1980s when I bought them new.

I don't think I've played in about 10 years, but I've carted this stuff back and forth across the US with me. I've lost a few pieces along the way, but I sill have most of my set of 1st edition (not first printings) hardcover books and a couple dozen modules and some old Dragon magazines.

Anyway, I've never really thought of myself as a collector until a few years ago when I happened across an original copy of Metamorphosis Alpha and a copy of the Blackmoor expansion that I just had to have. I snapped them up and have started looking for other modules, etc. that I might like to add to the collection... I think I have at least one copy of everything that was released for 1st and 2nd edition Gamma World, so now I'm starting on 1st edition AD&D. Smile

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:35 am 

Kastegir wrote:I just thought I'd post a note as I've just found this site. I've been a gamer for over 20 years, having started playing D&D in 1982. I'm a huge Gamma World fan, but I'll always have a soft spot for the game that got me started, AD&D. I've gathered a decent collection, nothing terribly rare, mostly stuff I've had since the mid-1980s when I bought them new.

hello chummer & welcome to the acaeum :)

nice to see a collector, who has a variation in his collection other than the predictable norm. i never really knew much about gamma world and all that stuff, so will be interesting to see any discussions you might have to raise with regards to that area of collecting!

have fun :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 5:48 pm 

Kastegir wrote:I think I have at least one copy of everything that was released for 1st and 2nd edition Gamma World, so now I'm starting on 1st edition AD&D. Smile

Greetings and good luck on that "simple" quest! ;)

Do you have a Lizard logo GW box? Kinda scarce, those...

Kastegir wrote:Anyway, I've never really thought of myself as a collector until a few years ago when I happened across an original copy of Metamorphosis Alpha and a copy of the Blackmoor expansion that I just had to have.

You're one up on me, already! Never picked up a copy, back then, and has eluded me time and time again in the last few years. :)

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 8:40 pm 

You know, it's amazing the stuff you find that you already have when you actually go and look. My gaming stuff has been packed away for a few years, and this afternoon, I opened the dusty boxes and had a look. I'd completely forgotten about some of the later stuff I bought (Return to Keep on the Borderlands, Return to White Plume Mountain). I'd forgoten about the mono copy of C1 and a few other treasures. :-)

I don't have a 1st edition box from GW, but it's on my list. I have 2 3rd printings of the 1ed rules, now I just need to find a 1st printing.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:45 am 

DnDGeek wrote:(Aside: has anyone here seen the new Reaper devils and demons? They look like they were pulled from the pages of MMI...only better!)

More details would be appreciated, please, DnDGeek :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:41 pm 

grodog wrote:More details would be appreciated, please, DnDGeek :D

I moved my response to a new topic, so I don't clog up the "introduce yourself" sticky...

New Reaper Minis

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
http://www.dungeonsdeepdesigns.com

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:34 pm 

Hey Foul, check this out:

Posting And You... | Flash Videos

(It's safe it's germane and it's a riot...)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:37 am 

BTW, if anyones in London on saturday, I'm going there to meet up with 2 friends who play D&D (we plan on going to the museum etc. and just chilling around central London).

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:35 am 

Kastegir wrote:I just thought I'd post a note as I've just found this site. I've been a gamer for over 20 years, having started playing D&D in 1982. I'm a huge Gamma World fan, but I'll always have a soft spot for the game that got me started, AD&D. I've gathered a decent collection, nothing terribly rare, mostly stuff I've had since the mid-1980s when I bought them new.

I don't think I've played in about 10 years, but I've carted this stuff back and forth across the US with me. I've lost a few pieces along the way, but I sill have most of my set of 1st edition (not first printings) hardcover books and a couple dozen modules and some old Dragon magazines.

Anyway, I've never really thought of myself as a collector until a few years ago when I happened across an original copy of Metamorphosis Alpha and a copy of the Blackmoor expansion that I just had to have. I snapped them up and have started looking for other modules, etc. that I might like to add to the collection... I think I have at least one copy of everything that was released for 1st and 2nd edition Gamma World, so now I'm starting on 1st edition AD&D. Smile

I'm just now getting over to read these posts... I'm a little slow, so sue me! Anyway, lo and behold, what do I find but a Gamma World fan! Yay! I loves me the Gamma World. I've got a 1st edition boxed set as well as the GM screen (with Albuquerque Starport), and the Legion of Gold and Famine in FarGo modules. I also have the 4th edition GW book too. I want to get the boxed sets of 2nd and 3rd, and the 5th edition Alternity book too. I've got 4 of 6 of the D20 version books put out by White Wolf. GW is one of my favorites. Slowly but surely I'll build up my collection of all the editions!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:27 pm 

El Diablo Robotico wrote:
I'm just now getting over to read these posts... I'm a little slow, so sue me! Anyway, lo and behold, what do I find but a Gamma World fan! Yay! I loves me the Gamma World. I've got a 1st edition boxed set as well as the GM screen (with Albuquerque Starport), and the Legion of Gold and Famine in FarGo modules. I also have the 4th edition GW book too. I want to get the boxed sets of 2nd and 3rd, and the 5th edition Alternity book too. I've got 4 of 6 of the D20 version books put out by White Wolf. GW is one of my favorites. Slowly but surely I'll build up my collection of all the editions!

Hey EDR...I also really like the Met Alpha/Gamma World concepts, although I don't pay much attention to anything past the first/second edition. I used to belong to a Yahoo Group specifically for Gamma World discussion. You might want to check it out. They would discuss Gamma World in all of its incarnations and also post-apocalyptic novels and movies in general. I haven't been subscribed for a while, but I just searched yahoo groups and found it is still around:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gammaworld/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:11 pm 

zhowar1 wrote:Hey EDR...I also really like the Met Alpha/Gamma World concepts, although I don't pay much attention to anything past the first/second edition. I used to belong to a Yahoo Group specifically for Gamma World discussion. You might want to check it out. They would discuss Gamma World in all of its incarnations and also post-apocalyptic novels and movies in general. I haven't been subscribed for a while, but I just searched yahoo groups and found it is still around:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/gammaworld/

Nifty! Thanks! I knew there was some sort of yahoo group (heard about it on another forum) but never had the chance to check it out. I've just joined.

(Still waiting on the 1st ed Met Alpha I won on eBay the other day... *taps foot impatiently*)

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:11 pm 

G'day all

My name is Dave Macauley, I'm 38 years old and live in Tasmania, Australia. I started playing D&D in 1980 at 13 years of age, with the Holmes blue Basic Rulebook, before moving quickly on to AD&D. Sold all my stuff in my early twenties when I was broke and newly married. Remarried in my early thirties and started collecting and occassionally playing again. Discharged from the military a few years back to become the full time carer for my disabled wife, so being on government pensions doesn't leave a lot of spending money. Also we live in an isolated rural area, so all my buying is via ebay. I collect OD&D, the Basic D&D rulebooks and 1E AD&D rulebooks, modules and whatever else I can get my hands on. The folks at Acaeum have been very friendly and helpful, setting me straight when I thought I had rare treasures, only to find that they were foreign (Australian) editions of modules. I have a couple of the OD&D supplements, but my big dream is to get a copy of the White Box set.

Dave

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:47 pm 

Hiya Dave,

Welcome to the board! :)

Greyharp wrote:The folks at Acaeum have been very friendly and helpful, setting me straight when I thought I had rare treasures, only to find that they were foreign (Australian) editions of modules. I have a couple of the OD&D supplements, but my big dream is to get a copy of the White Box set.

Dave

If anyone's told you what you thought were "rare" first print Gs & Ds are actually common Ozzie reprints, please let us know! 8O

Be patient on the White Box and you should be able to pick up a decent set for $60 or so (US dollars, that is). Good luck! :)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:23 am 

harami2000 wrote:Hiya Dave,

Welcome to the board! :)

Greyharp wrote:The folks at Acaeum have been very friendly and helpful, setting me straight when I thought I had rare treasures, only to find that they were foreign (Australian) editions of modules. I have a couple of the OD&D supplements, but my big dream is to get a copy of the White Box set.

Dave

If anyone's told you what you thought were "rare" first print Gs & Ds are actually common Ozzie reprints, please let us know! 8O

Be patient on the White Box and you should be able to pick up a decent set for $60 or so (US dollars, that is). Good luck! :)

Prices are slipping down on those, but I haven't seen one in decent condition for $60 in some time.  :?

And hell yes, Aussie prints are good things.  :wink: Well, some of them, anyway.

YIM  

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:14 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Prices are slipping down on those, but I haven't seen one in decent condition for $60 in some time. :?

August; $56 for an OCE with a very decent box. No sniping required.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5225886181

Similarly, no competition at ~$70-75 for a 4th(-) with very fine books and ref. sheets plus decent box with some pre-emptive tape at the corners (hmm...). By far the better of the two purchases though, IMHO.

Supply has dried up a bit now and certainly prices more erratic again in the run up to Christmas(?).

Seems to be $100 for a half-decent box, one auction, then $100+ for just the books with handwriting, bashes, etc., plus a poorish Swords & Spells in the next.

Hence maybe a wait required until Feb/March or possibly June/August...

deimos3428 wrote:And hell yes, Aussie prints are good things. :wink: Well, some of them, anyway.

<Greyharp> wrote Ozzie print modules.

"setting me straight when I thought I had rare treasures, only to find that they were foreign (Australian) editions of modules"

Can't think of any other than the Gs & Ds... :?

(Or should that have read "Basic Rules Set", Greyharp? :))

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:20 pm 

Can't think of any other than the Gs & Ds... Confused

(Or should that have read "Basic Rules Set", Greyharp?

Yep, it was the Gs & Ds, although I do have "aussie" copies of the Basic Rules Set and PHB.

Be patient on the White Box and you should be able to pick up a decent set for $60 or so (US dollars, that is). Good luck!

I'm kicking myself for missing out on a white box set for $45 from a website The Hit Pointe recently. The box was badly damaged, but what they hey, I would've done some unobtrusive repair work. I'll get a set one day of course :D

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 24 of 135123 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 133134135