Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 18 of 135123 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 133134135
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:43 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:
No, but I wouldn't mind spending more time there... 8)

yes i will most definately be going back there, or at least i WANT to....Amanda wants to go to Helsinki tho, over in Finland, as we havent been there....hmmm will have to work on that one....chances are, we will end up going there :)

I've heard it's lovely.  And the Finns..."You want to talk or you want to DRINK?"  Who can argue with reasoning like that?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:50 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:I've heard it's lovely. And the Finns..."You want to talk or you want to DRINK?" Who can argue with reasoning like that?

well it should be nice nonetheless....then its oslo and then stockholm...try and see them all by the end of next year. will take that long, so we can fit other plans in too...

should be lots of fun imo

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:42 am 

Stockholm is by far my favourite Scandinavian capital.
Althought the most empressive park I have ever seen is the Gustav Vigeland sculpture park in Oslo.

Scandinavia is a lovely place :)

/B

WWW ICQ  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:06 am 

Brian, maybe it's my eyes, but you look amazingly like me, without the beard. It's uncanny. Perhaps I should grow mine out.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:36 am 

Brian Dyg Arp wrote:Stockholm is by far my favourite Scandinavian capital.
Althought the most empressive park I have ever seen is the Gustav Vigeland sculpture park in Oslo.

Scandinavia is a lovely place :)

Stockholm is a world-class city.  Especially the old quarter.

Vigelandparken, I know it well.  Lived in Oslo for a while, too.  Up near Ekeberg where the junior soccer championships are played every summer.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:52 pm 

My name is Gus and I'm 31.  I've been playing OD&D/AD&D/D&D since 1985.  The game has never lost its fascination, though time and again I've found life has distracted me from the game at times.  At least I got my wife to start playing :)
I'm now in the process of "re-collecting" my stuff...about 5 years ago (or so) I sold my collection for $3,000 (after having up on eBay for a week with no bids).   I took a hiatus from the game until 3rd Edition came out, which was only a two months or so at the time.  I've regretted that sale ever since.  At least it paid my car off :?
I think it's pretty neat to recognize some of the eBayers that are on these boards...kind of puts a name with the face, so to speak.  I hope to talk to you all soon!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:34 pm 

sword3274 wrote:My name is Gus and I'm 31. I've been playing OD&D/AD&D/D&D since 1985. The game has never lost its fascination, though time and again I've found life has distracted me from the game at times. At least I got my wife to start playing :)
I'm now in the process of "re-collecting" my stuff...about 5 years ago (or so) I sold my collection for $3,000 (after having up on eBay for a week with no bids).  I took a hiatus from the game until 3rd Edition came out, which was only a two months or so at the time. I've regretted that sale ever since. At least it paid my car off :?
I think it's pretty neat to recognize some of the eBayers that are on these boards...kind of puts a name with the face, so to speak. I hope to talk to you all soon!

hello gus and welcome to the forum :)

hope you enjoy your stay ;)

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:25 am 

Hi-my name is Dave and I began playing D&D back in '81! I still remember it was the last(maybe 2nd to last) day of school in the fifth grade and a classmate brought in The Keep On The Borderlands! I was taught the bare minimum to play but it didn't matter -I loved it! We played all day, and i can still remember the feeling of enchantment as i gazed at the back cover(you know the Erol Otus rendtition of the keep with the characters approaching at sunset!)  :!: -my imagination
soared with thoughts of treasure,conquest,and fearful monsters that must be slain!I went on to be an AD&D fanatic for the next 3 years but then i abandoned it completely to chase after girls full time! Recently an old friend of mine and i got together and played AD&D and really had some fun! I don't seem to make the time to play often but I hope to play again soon!

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

-Thenraine the silver magus

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:42 am 

Gus and Thenraine, welcome in. Not everyone can feel this sense of enchantment... but if you do, you continue for all your life. And me and my forties can testify it  :)

"It's mint, it's a first print, and it's mine!"

KA-POW

"Not anymore".

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:53 pm 

Hello everyone my name is Martin and I live in Indianapolis.  I'm 38 and just began collecting D & D modules.  Started playing in high school but never got into it like my friends did.  I just enjoyed reading the modules.  I recently pulled them out of storage and stumbled across ebay and suddenly I was off and running with my collection.  I really have enjoyed this site for the past couple of days.  Hope to be a regular poster here.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:36 pm 

Welcom, Martin, and be sure to hit the "average age" poll thread.  We need more old-timers!   :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:27 am 

Prufrock wrote:Hello everyone my name is Martin and I live in Indianapolis. I'm 38 and just began collecting D & D modules. Started playing in high school but never got into it like my friends did. I just enjoyed reading the modules. I recently pulled them out of storage and stumbled across ebay and suddenly I was off and running with my collection. I really have enjoyed this site for the past couple of days. Hope to be a regular poster here.

hello there! hope you enjoy your time here and look forward to your postings :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:46 am 

before begininng my workday, I post my presentation.
Hallo to everyone. My name is Giorgio and I'm Italian. I live in a small village in Emilia Romagna. I'm 28 (nearly 29) and I play D&D since I was 14. I'm not a proper collector, in the sense you give to this word ... I'm a lover and an ... insane person.
I've started to struggle on ebay (I've won some auctions held by some of you) to find The Immortal Rules ... a Holy Grail, to me!!! then I developed and now I bid on what I feel interesting.
I don't care very much about ratings or average price (certainly I don't offer 1000 eur, or usd, for an item that costs 10 ... Of course): if there's something that I like ... I try to collect it, beneath certain limits.
Now I'm increasing my collection bidding on ebay or dealing with italian reseller (i.e. sotteraneo; hi Ciro).
I found these forums only yesterday and I posted some messages: I think they are very interesting and I hope to continue this dialogue.
See you soon.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:38 am 

I started playing D&D in 1976 while stationed at Great Lakes Naval Base in North Chicago. We made a couple of trips to the Dungeon in Lake Geneva and got to meet everyone there. We played F.I.T.S., Naval minis, and of course D&D. Even went into the original Blackmoor castle. If I remember correctly it was Terry Kuntz that took us in.
Was pretty heavy into it for a couple of years along with EPT and Traveller. Even was invited to DM at the Dragon Seekers club in Chicago in early '77. Have a copy of their first issue of The Wizard from Feb. 1977. Kept playing after being transferred to Orlando, but when sent to Idaho started drifting away and after being assigned to sea duty lost track entirely.
Couple of years ago I saw how collectible this stuff had become and decided to invest(won't go near the stock market). Just wish I had held onto some of the early stuff I had, like earliest issues of Dragon starting with #1(I could kick myself). some things I did keep(no thanks to me) were a Palace of the Vampire Queen and a Beastmaker Mountain. Also some minis from those early days, including what I believe might be the first lead dragon made. I suspect it's Grenadier, but nobody has been able to tell me anything about it. Could definitely use some help there.
Since collecting I have picked up some decent items thanks to my knowledge of those early days. For example:
I won an auction on eBay about 1 1/2 years ago for the first 16 issues of the Journal from JG. All subscription items in great condition along with some non-sub items. That's right, Citystate, Tegel Manor, TAC cards, the whole shooting match for about $300 dollars. When I opened the package the very first thing I saw was an absolutely cherry copy of The Character Archaic. I hadn't seen one since my very first characters. Since it wasn't in the auction I had to inform the seller. He said he didn't want to bother putting it up in another auction and thought I would appreciate it. Boy, did I ever. The thing is TIGHT.
A shrink-wrapped EPT(2nd print). Have also picked up stuff to go with that, like Missum, Tsolyani Language I and II, and Deeds of the Ever-Glorious.
A real nice Metamorphosis Alpha(1st print). Was that game ever a hoot!
Punched and unpunched copies of Divine Right.
Punched and unpunched copies of FITS. We used to have tons of fun with FITS.
Lots of Dragon's starting in the high 20's.
First Fantasy Campaign from JG(1st print)
Lot's of other stuff from AD&D 1st through 3rd editions.
Just about everything ever put out by GDW for classic Traveller. Funny, I only remember playing with those first 3 books. I could not believe how much it grew since I played. Have gotten Marc W. Miller to sign many items for me. He trades on eBay as onlooker1, a great guy. Have recently picked up an unpunched copy of Chaco that I'll get him to sign. I also collect wargames.
Speaking of which I also have a mint copy of Guidon's Tractics with Fast Rules also. Even the box is sweet.
I've wasted enough of everyone's time for now so I'll sign off. Very happy to join The Acaeum crowd and look forward to the future of collecting. Thank you.
                          Tom Wargo

Started playing D&D at Great Lakes in '76-'77. Went to Dungeon in Lake Geneva. Got to adventure in original Blackmoor. Saved some rare pieces from then, not in best shape: Palace of Vampire Queen, Beastmaker Mountain. Started collecting recently.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:30 am 

welcome chummer :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:28 pm 

Age 27, started playing D&D Dec26 1989..though played my first game some 20+ years ago (Not sure how old I was when one of my brothers ran a small dungeon for me and another brother). Anyway, always had a creative mind, and well after months of taking dice from boardgames and drawing grid maps in a spiral notebook (made some scifi/zelda type game with all that), that same brother got me the Red Basic Box Set (13th printing I eventually found out  :)  ).

Guess that was the begining, course now I collect and occasionally play (d20 though *hides*). Eventually though the greatest thing to ever be put on my shelves shall be something I helped write (Necromancer Games - Bards Gate). So I guess you could say I have the 1st edition feel  :D

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:42 pm 

Welcome Shane!

John Pleveich

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:42 pm 

Greetings, all!

The name's John, I'm 35, live in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, got into D&D when I was around 10 or 11 initially, and got more seriously into it as I got older.

Played regularly in the same group from about 1988 to 1995/1996.

As a teen, subjected myself to the animated D&D cartoon.  As an adult, subjected myself to the D&D movie (only decent bits were Richard O'Brien and Tom Baker -- pure magic.  Everything else in it = pure cheese/cardboard.)

Been a pretty serious collector over the years (none of the really, really rare stuff, mind you), occasionally turn things out on eBay (seller name = johnshall).

Always been a big scifi/fantasy buff, movies/TV shows, especially Doctor Who.

Have yet to seriously get into 3rd Edition -- too much work to unlearn 20+ years of playing AD&D a certain way!  :mrgreen:

I'd say 2nd Edition is my favorite edition, but I'll never forget the thrill of learning the convoluted 1st Edition rules!

Favorite class has always been magic-user/wizard, although I'm also partial to the witch class (per Dragon #114) -- my DM, who was a practicing Wiccan himself, allowed this as a character class.

Hope to speak to more of you soon!

Cheers,
John aka Wandering Monster

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 18 of 135123 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 133134135