Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 135123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:35 am 

GamersRest[FNG] wrote:Introduction time.

Names Jeff.

I am a 30 year old gamer, got into the hobby when I was a well aged 12. I learned the game from, of all people, a Catholic priest (thank you Father Dennis o'Donnel).

I basically collect anything RPG, my main focus now is the early days for the hobby, but I don't stick to just TSR or just DnD (which has the effect of spreading my money a little thin).

Prize of my collection(as of Feb 2005)...it's a toss up between my ratty Mechanoid Invasion set, The OCE box and my copy of Metamorphasis Alpha.

Hello Jeff.

The fact u've been introduced to the game by a Catholic priest strikes me as a bit weird. Well, if here would have happened in the same way, all the churches would have been full of youngsters  :lol:

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:02 pm 

Hi Guys

I have been reading these posts for weeks and thought I ought to sign up.

My name is William and I work in London.  I'm 32 (oh good grief 33 isn't far away!!) and started playing in 1984 at school.  My first memories were playing B4 and splatting the Owlbear with my first natural 20!! :twisted:

I am beginning to build up the collection and I have what I consider aresome nice bits and bobs but very little that has colossal value (apart from some Planescape that emptied the bank account!!)

Nice to meet you all, and here's to many happy chats :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:17 pm 

wthomas wrote:Nice to meet you all, and here's to many happy chats :D

Hello Will! so you took the plunge and joined huh? :)

nice to see you here! have a nice weekend mate and speak to you monday-ish ok?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:22 pm 

Hello wthomas, and welcome aboard the Acaeum ship. :)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:30 am 

wthomas wrote:Hi Guys

I have been reading these posts for weeks and thought I ought to sign up.

My name is William and I work in London. I'm 32 (oh good grief 33 isn't far away!!) and started playing in 1984 at school. My first memories were playing B4 and splatting the Owlbear with my first natural 20!! :twisted:

I am beginning to build up the collection and I have what I consider aresome nice bits and bobs but very little that has colossal value (apart from some Planescape that emptied the bank account!!)

Nice to meet you all, and here's to many happy chats :D

Welcome William. :D   It is always nice to have new legitimate members join the forum. :D

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:51 pm 

Hey all,

Well, I've been on this board for a year now, and I thought it was time:

Name -              Joe Kason
Location -           Derby, CT
Age -                 36
Marital status -    Yes
Collection size -   Not huge, or great (quality wise) - one bookcase and a footlocker
Current goal -     Finish my collection of The Dragon, then Dungeon, then get one of everything else (ambitious little bugger, aren't I?)
Status -              Only need 41 more issues of Dragon (all below issue 50), the footlocker is full of modules (plus an H1, the Theive's World box set,                              and Twighlight 2000 box set and modules)
Email -               [email protected] (goes to hotmail) Send a request & I'll email you a list of my current collection. Updates every time I send feedback                      for something I purchased on ebay.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:19 am 

I just noticed our latest member.

profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=509

The "Guido-the-Gypsy" :?:

Welcome to the forum.

And I'm sure that I speak for all members when I ask you to recall the story so far :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:54 am 

johnhuck wrote:I just noticed our latest member.

profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=509

The "Guido-the-Gypsy" :?:

Welcome to the forum.

And I'm sure that I speak for all members when I ask you to recall the story so far :twisted:

Hello Paul! welcome to the Acaeum!

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:11 am 

johnhuck wrote:Welcome to the forum.

Sorry, that was a sincere welcome.  But I just couldn't resist a crack about the story! :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:54 pm 

Yes, Guido please introduce yourself!!   :)

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:55 am 

hmm.  i've only seen this site a few times before tonight.

my name is pan.  i just sold most of my massive D&D collection on ebay in various lots to pay for my upcoming wedding on April 30th.  i didn't WANT to sell the collection, but i figure i can always buy the books off ebay later after i'm not trying to scrounge up a few thousand dollars...

HOWEVER, i still have two more lots to sell:

1) Planescape Planes of Law & Planes of Chaos Box Sets (Law is missing the Mounstrous Compendium, Chaos is missing 2 poster maps).  I'm also including a d20 Devil's Players Guide.  Sold as a lot, as the sets are incomplete.

2) THE COMPLETE TSR SILVER ANNIVERSARY BOX SET.  I had to do research, but all the items are there, including L3.  The back of the box looks the same as the front of the box.  I don't see where people are getting the description from the back of the box, unless it was a paper insert between the box and the shrinkwrap.  My copy has been opened, obviously.

I am definitely interested in passing on my items to players or collectors who used to play.

I am open to offers for either item, but will probably list them on ebay within next 5 days otherwise...  i would really like to see the silver edition go to someone here, if anyone is interested.  perhaps this should go in Classifieds?

oh, and here's the links to the rest of the lots i've already sold:

5 Monstrous Compendium Accessories - $34.00
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5170565938

D&D Supplement IV - Gods Demi-Gods Heroes - $40.51
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5171192646

8 Dark Sun Accessories, inc Revised Box Set - $67.00
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5170555956

14 2nd Edition Books - $61.00
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5170480250

7 2nd & 3rd Edition Books - $38.00
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5170549836

8 1st Edition Books - $152.50
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5170233412

5 Dark Sun Supplements, inc Elves of Athas - $58.00
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5170230803

15 Complete Character/Race Handbooks (Complete Maroon Set) - $127.50
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5170227568

Gladiator's Handbook - $13.00
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5955058660

Encyclopedia Magica Vols 1,2,3,4 (Complete Set) - $61.00
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5955055640

T1-4 Temple of Elemental Evil - $18.24
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5955046309

Deities & Demigods, w/ Cthulhu - $39.75
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... 5955041836

i think i did well on some items (like Supp IV).  did i get ripped off on any?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:03 am 

panwalker wrote:i think i did well on some items (like Supp IV). did i get ripped off on any?

Hrmm... "well" is an understatement for some of those.

If there's a remote possibility you were "ripped off", the G,DG&H and the following lot should more than make up the difference, IMO.

8 1st Edition Books - $152.50

:?

Had noticed those in passing: still not sure why either went so high. (Which 1st ed. books are "rare"? ;))

panwalker wrote:i didn't WANT to sell the collection, but i figure i can always buy the books off ebay later after i'm not trying to scrounge up a few thousand dollars...

Really shouldn't be a problem... :)

=

panwalker wrote:2) THE COMPLETE TSR SILVER ANNIVERSARY BOX SET. I had to do research, but all the items are there, including L3. The back of the box looks the same as the front of the box. I don't see where people are getting the description from the back of the box, unless it was a paper insert between the box and the shrinkwrap. My copy has been opened, obviously.

The large description sticker's on the outside of the shrinkwrap, at the back. Kinda presumed all copies would have that...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:16 am 

I'd say you did reasonable well with all that stuff....things prb balanced out quite nicely in your favour imo....especially with them 1st ed books as dave pointed out above - sweet return that!

the sticker IS on the shrinkwrap and not on the box. i have two complete open ones, and neither have that descriptive on the box, so it is on the wrapping (having seen it there myself too on a friends box)

by the way, welcome to the forum! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:57 am 

harami2000 wrote:8 1st Edition Books - $152.50

:?

Had noticed those in passing: still not sure why either went so high. (Which 1st ed. books are "rare"? ;))

i did a LOT of ebay research before posting the listings, and i think that several of my items did better than i expected (and better than normal) due to the following reasons:

1) D&D item prices seem higher than normal on ebay right now.
2) I ship worldwide, and combine shipping costs, and do not have a set rate but instead am willing to ship by any method possible.
3) I was very very detailed and honest in describing all the defects I could about each book, and included pictures of each book, and typed in the back-cover descriptions for most of them.
4) I had several pictures in the listing, tried to make the main gallery picture more interesting by zooming in and cropping, had ALL my lots in the ebay gallery, had many lots include a 2nd subject line, and some items (like the 8 1st ed books) i opted to BOLD.  (And the free ebay picture was always 400x400 to start with.)
5) I tried to add a personal note for every book as to what i liked or disliked about it as a player or as a DM.  I also tried to make it evident that I was a player/DM and not just an ebay collector/buyer/seller/cougar.
6) I based the subject line off of careful research of completed sales, emulating those items which sold high.
7) I started almost every lot off at $1, with no reserve, to generate the most interest.

perhaps #2 was the biggest reason.  the G,DG&H went to Belgium, and the 8 1st edition books went to Australia.

also, to answer your question, the books "Oriental Adventures" and "Manual of the Planes" have a higher rarity number according to acaeum.

in retrospect, i probably should have broken up my dark sun lots more than i did...

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:10 am 

Panwalker, welcome on The Acaeum.

I have to admit that your words seem like a marketing on e-bay manual put into good use!

I agree wholeheartedly to them, especially about reserve price. If I see that there's a reserve price in an auction I'm interested in, generally I don't bid at all - it has to be exceedingly unique for me to do that.

I also sold my complete ICE collection some time ago, and - apart from selling the single items separately and not in lots - had some good results, gratifying both in monetary terms and especially in the lovely feedbacks I received.

YIM  

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:07 am 

also...

8) i tried to have everything close on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, if possible, or else a Monday or Friday evening, so that both east and west coast US buyers might bid at the last minute.

9) i opted not to include a buy it now option.

10) i gave as much info as i thought possible about the books, including copyright, printing, authors, etc... (and did i mention a very detailed description of the condition, and incredibly long excerpts from the back cover?)

11) i went out of my way to make the lots logical or complete if possible.  for example, i bought new Complete Wizards book with the fake-gold-leaf lettering in order to offer a complete set of burgundy 15 books all with fake-gold-leaf lettering (and ended up putting my flat-paper-finish Complete Wizards in a misc lot).

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:57 am 

Hi all

After using the acaeum catalogue as a reference source for some time I decided to sign up.

I am 33 and live in a tiny village which nobody has heard of so have to keep telling people I live in Milton Keynes (which at the rate it keeps expanding and the governments desire to concrete the whole country I soon will do).

I am mainly interested in AD&D 1st edition, Planescape and Merp. I think the last game I played was the temple of elemental evil ( in 88 ). Since then I sold all my stuff and now can't find a game who want to play first edition but am having great fun buying all the stuff I wanted when I was a teenager. Yes I am married and my wife thinks I'm nuts but so what.

I have just about finished my collection of Planescape stuff and allot of the more expensive Merp items so I guess I will devote more time to getting all the AD&D Modules.

Anyway hello out there
:D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:59 am 

hello OJ - welcome to the forum! hope you have as much fun here as this lot sometimes have :)

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 135123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 133134135