Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 130 of 135123 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 133134135
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:20 pm 

grodog wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:De nada.  If you're still playing with S4 in a game, my page at Greyhawk's "Lost" Dungeon Levels:  S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth might catch your eye ;)

Indeed it has! Many years ago I gave that a read, you presented some wonderful details and ideas. As I'm always looking for an opportunity to re-run this classic, using some of your (and Kuntz's) expansions would be a terrific way to catch my veteran players off guard. Further, one of the few (only?) classic Gygax modules I never ran was WG4, so it could be woven into a much larger campaign along with S4.

Also, is there somewhere where I can find your high-level version from the 2015 convention that is mentioned in your article? You've piqued my interest...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 4:11 am 

I've had Allan's site at the top of my bookmark list for years.
I just can never find the time to sit down and read through it.  :oops:
But it's there at no.1 in my 'must read' list, with Zenopus coming in at no.2.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 11:39 pm 

Luz wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Indeed it has! Many years ago I gave that a read, you presented some wonderful details and ideas. As I'm always looking for an opportunity to re-run this classic, using some of your (and Kuntz's) expansions would be a terrific way to catch my veteran players off guard. Further, one of the few (only?) classic Gygax modules I never ran was WG4, so it could be woven into a much larger campaign along with S4.

Indeed, it's a good combo!

Luz wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Also, is there somewhere where I can find your high-level version from the 2015 convention that is mentioned in your article? You've piqued my interest...

I haven't shared the higher-level version yet---it need some further development and playtesting first.  So, if you keep an eye out, I'm sure you'll have a chance to play it again in the future =)

mbassoc2003 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:I've had Allan's site at the top of my bookmark list for years.
I just can never find the time to sit down and read through it.  :oops:
But it's there at no.1 in my 'must read' list, with Zenopus coming in at no.2.

LOL.  Well, I'm still updating parts of it as time and inspiration allow, Ian.  Just so you know, I've got a blog now too, though ;)  (Nothing as extensive and regular as Zach's but it is there!).  

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:35 am 

Hey all.

Long time Acaeum user! I just signed up to report a bootleg seller on eBay, and figured I'd say hi.

I've been collecting RPG, fantasy, comics and sci-fi books and stuff for about 5 years. Before that I collected vinyl records.
I've been playing D&D since Moldvay/Cook B/X and AD&D. I kinda gapped out around the beginning of 2e - 4e. Currently I play 5e on Roll20 and various retroclones/OSR stuff when I can find players.

I post my collection on my instagram (same @ as my username here), check it out if you want to see some of my stuff!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:23 am 

Welcome for_the_love_of_the_stuff!  I don't do instagram....yet, but this is a great place for all things collecting rpgs.  Many of us here have collections in areas other than rpgs, but we don't talk about them much.  Most people on these forums lean toward OD&D and 1st edition but not all.  

I hope you'll join us for the North Texas RPG Convention next year.  It's always the first weekend in June.  Next year it will be June 1st-5th.  The Con will be held at the Westin DFW Airport Hotel in Irving , Texas.  Special guests usually include several of the more important figures in the history of RPGs as a whole and Dungeons & Dragons in particular.  It's serious rpg fun!   :D

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:47 pm 

Welcome!!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:30 am 

(reposte :wink: from the separate thread)

Greetings to all of the fine collectors found herein! I have only recently found this site and wish to pay my thanks to those who have contributed time and resources to create this truly valuable reference and community. This is my first post to the forums and I hope not my last. For those who like the short version, I will simply say, I am happy to be here to share my love of this game and it's history and am happy to have found you all. It's a special thing when you find your people... or many more of your people. My compliments to you all.

For those who like the longer version ...

I have played D&D since 1981 as a lad of 12 years when I talked my mother into buying me a Moldvay edition Basic Set. I had heard strange tales of other kids playing a game with strange dice and fighting in dungeons among the trolls and halflings. One of my best friends said he had played with some friends one afternoon and, as he told me about it ... I realized I had seen this before.

A couple of years earlier, I was at a strip mall in Murfreesboro, TN and bored while my mom shopped at a clothing store. I wandered out of the store she was shopping in and down some steps to a lower level in the center courtyard of the strip mall. It was dark down there. Kinda creepy but I had to know what was there. Looking back on it, that feeling I had as I carefully descended those steps into a not-well-lit place that I was not so sure I had permission to be in didn't feel entirely dissimilar from the first dungeon I descended into as a player.

I was drawn though, and down I went, and at the bottom of the steps, a hallway stretched off to my left. I saw, down that dark hallway, a light streaming out of an open door. I crept up on it to find something completely strange to me. Tucked away in what was essentially a basement room was a tiny hobby store; probably my very first.  I more or less stumbled into the room. There were some model kits and some wood working stuff as I remember, and there ... on the counter .. I came face to face with the Monster Manual, the Players Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide in all their Sutherland and Trampier covered glory. I knew I was strangely attracted to these dangerous looking books but I could not put my finger on why. I thumbed through the pages while the fellow running his little hidden shop told me who-knows-what about the game. I asked questions and was fascinated by the illustrations. I knew the pictures of the efreet, the ruby eyed demon altar or the weird creatures gracing the MM at the time were not going to fly with my my mom's Church of Christ sensibilities. I asked her to come look at them. I wanted one. I didn't get it. I was only about 10 or 11 at the time.  

I had all but forgotten my solo adventure to the tiny hobby store years later when my friend was telling me about his having played Dungeons and Dragons. I was mildly interested in the idea until the day I laid my eyes on that Moldvay Edition Basic Set when I suddenly realized that this was part of the same weird and wonderful thing I had seen in hard cover down in that dank moldy room a couple of years earlier. I got that set that day and I talked my best friend into playing with me. We each made our own full party of adventurers and took turns DMing for each other each weekend. Those were GOOD days.

In the next couple of years I decided I wanted to do it like the books describe, with a group of players. In order to make that happen I would need to DM the thing, I knew. I had devoured those books, and my first multi-player campaign was in AD&D. I was the ripe old age of 14 or 15 at the time. I finally got the books and never went back to Basic/Expert. And on it went into college. I met a guy in his later 20s in college who taught me how to be a very good DM, and I ended up DMing the finish of his 2 and a half year campaign when his job took him away from us. I continued to DM after that, turning Against the Giants, Descent Into The Depths of the Earth, Vault of the Drow and Queen of the Demonweb Pits into a three and a half year campaign on their own. I made Erelhei Cinlu rival the concurrently published Menzoberanzan, which I mined for reference and still sits safely tucked away in my collection.

I GM'd other games after that. Mostly super-heroes stuff. I played GURPS in the late 90's early 00's in one of the best campaigns of my life, and still always found myself, too, playing in someone else's D&D campaign. In my 30s I even spent a couple of years working on getting my own game store off the ground. Life happened to that. There was a long stretch without games. More recently I have played in a couple of good long running campaigns. And now ... well I am finally getting that urge again. I am going to once again immerse myself in the role of Dungeon Master.

That has led me to the process of replacing some treasures I had to part with over the years and also to collecting new ones. I have a vision for the space I want to DM in. A domain filled with the imagery and a sense of the history of this most excellent game .. the first of its kind. I want to surround my players with a tangible and visible history of the game, both to spark their imaginations, but also to give newer younger players a true sense of that history of the game. I want to build a kind of reverence for what has come before, and I want my players to respect that.

For that reason I am currently working on what I expect will become a pretty fair collection. I am here because Acaeum has helped with that already. My knowledge has expanded greatly by spending time studying the history here, and I hope, will even more so by taking the time to interact here with you all.

Please forgive the stroll down amnesia lane. I simply felt I owed it to those who have come before me to this place to offer my story as a means of connection and understanding. I respect this place. I am happy to have found it. Thanks again to those of you who have contributed to it's making. Cheers!

In All Sincerity,
Cerulean Rex

And if you read this far, but don't feel it was worth your time, then I will say 'Read me no further, Lord or Lady ...", and offer you the blessing my dear departed friend and brother Bill Harper would have offered when he was in his cups ... "and may the road rise up to meet your face."  :wink:

And if you read this far, but don't feel it was worth your time, then I will say 'Read me no further, Lord or Lady ... and may the road rise up to meet your face."  :wink:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:44 am 

Nice to met you C.Rex!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:17 pm 

Welcome!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:54 pm 

Hi all, it's Dave, long time lurker (since 2007 I reckon) and I figured it was finally time to sign up. Hey, now I can see pictures and stuff too, sweet!  :) A little about myself- I discovered AD&D in 1980. This was after I had transferred to a new school to start 6th grade. The question of whether I played was posed to me straight away from my new classmates. I quickly realized that literally every boy in my grade was whipping out their handbooks, graph paper, modules, dungeons in draft, during every break possible throughout the school day. In hindsight, I'm surprised that the game was so accessible given the rising scare at the time. My new Catholic school was quick to warn everyone about the scientology center which had just opened down the street, yet it didn't mind that pretty much all of it's junior high boys were in a D&D cult...

I stopped actively playing in the late '80s, and the collecting bug got me in the 2000s. I think I approach collecting like the market and go for the dip, but I also fill the collection to get back to what I once had, the nostalgia of such a wonderful game is so hard to resist. I've dipped my toes back in the water under this 5th edition a bit online, but I feel the pull DM'ing a AD&D session in person once again...

The Triple Alliance (no longer around) in old Bellevue, WA., was the local gaming store that fed my addiction back in the day. I think I was there after school every other day in the early to mid 80s. I'd be curious to know if anyone else was there!

Final note- I grew up and live in the current home of D&D, also home of the Seattle Seahawks, and my mother-in-law grew up in the original home of D&D- Lake Geneva, but she's a Packers fan of course.

Cheers everyone!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:56 pm 

Hello Dave, and welcome officially to The Acaeum!

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:44 pm 

Hello Dave, welcome on board!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:59 am 

Welcome Supernaut!  Glad you've finally come out of the clos....out of hiding!   :wink:

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:57 pm 

Welcome!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:24 pm 

Welcome Supernaut \m/!   Great Sabbath song.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 11:42 pm 

Welcome Dave.

I used to go to Triple Alliance. Great place! I am sure those type of stores helped drive my interest in RPG collecting by being surrounded by so many amazing games. It was magical.

Cheers,
Curt

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:32 pm 

Welcome!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:11 pm 

Hey Scott, thanks x2 man!  :lol:  Right on Curt! Skullhammer you are correct, sir, \m/ (btw, the rhino Vol. 4 remaster box set is incredible!)

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 130 of 135123 ... 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 133134135