Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 125 of 135123 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:44 pm 

Welcome aboard Zhool!

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:48 am 

Hello Everyone.

I go by Novum Solis here, and I am an IT Project Manager and Agile Consultant in Northern VA. I am also A Berklee College of Music dropout and somewhat active recording artist.

Like many of you, I started playing D&D around 1980-81 and fell on love with the game. However, I didn't think about collecting until about 2013 when I was feeling nostalgic and pulled out my old AD&D books with the intent to start playing again. Unfortunately, the play sessions were short-lived because of a lack of commitment from my small group of friends, and I did not feel like investing the time and effort to meet new people at that time. But the interest in D&D was still strong, so I began directing my energy into some very novice-level acquisitions ... which eventually burned out.

Now the passion has reared up again, and for the past few months I have started collecting more "intermediate level" items, like the OD&D White Box edition (and supplements), several Holmes edition Basic sets (both dice and chits versions), Moldvay Basic/Expert sets, Deities and Demigods Cthulu, etc. My focus, at this point, is just OD&D and 1e.

I'm really enjoying it! ...and The Acaeum has been my reference portal as I continue to develop my collection. So ... I decided to join about a month ago.

I hope to meet some friends here, and maybe, at some point, join a local group of adventurers. :)

~ NS

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:17 pm 

Welcome NS!
If you are into collecting, this is a good place to be. :)
If you wanted to play have you tried PbP gaming? Play-by-Post is slow, and the pace not liked by some, but it certainly fits everyone's schedule and a lot of folks play that way. There's also Skype/Roll20 games too. :)
Glad you are back in the game and enjoying collecting!!
Be well!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:51 pm 

Novum solis wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:
I hope to meet some friends here, and maybe, at some point, join a local group of adventurers. :)

~ NS

Welcome Novum solis!  Get ready to want stuff you never knew you wanted!   8O

Please join us at the North Texas RPG Convention the first weekend of June.  It's a blast of old school rpg goodness!

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:27 pm 

Is there a So. Cal group/meet up of Acaeum members?

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:08 am 

Hi, my name is Chris and I'm from the right side of the pond (both meanings).  Have been playing and collecting D&D since schools days in the late 70's, and although I have a sneaking preference for 1ed, I have played 2ed, 3ed and now 5ed.  Hope to see and contribute to some interesting conversations.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:41 am 

SCORCIN wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hi, my name is Chris and I'm from the right side of the pond (both meanings).  Have been playing and collecting D&D since schools days in the late 70's, and although I have a sneaking preference for 1ed, I have played 2ed, 3ed and now 5ed.  Hope to see and contribute to some interesting conversations.

Welcome!  Many of our folks are participating in the North Texas RPG Convention.  Some people are participating on-line through Discord and some are physically there, but today is the last day of the con.  You'll find this to be an incredibly knowledgeable group when it comes to D&D and rpg collectibles.  Most people here have a preference for Original D&D as well as 1st edition.   8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:32 pm 

Hi Chris Welcome to the group!

Great to have another long time collector on here. I (and some others on here) haven't been in the game so long. Wopuld be great to hear some of your tales of collecting D&D back in day.

Cheers

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:10 pm 

Stories? We can do that?

Okay then, I've got one. It's a bit long, but it requires some set up.

It's 1984; Dad's in the Navy and receives his next orders after Antigua, and we fly to Orlando, arrange to drive to the Pacific coast in order to catch an international flight to Tokyo International, Japan. Our final destination: Yokota Air Force Base.

I'd yet to encounter roleplaying games of any kind, and the most sophisticated game I'd played up to then was probably Risk or Stratego.

But I'd met someone at school who would introduce me to the 1980 Basic D&D and Dungeon Module B2: The Keep on the Borderlands.

(Dennis Yates, if you're out there, drop me a line sometime. Sorry I got bored at the first session. Sometimes it takes me a few months to get into things.)

That first session didn't really take. I found myself becoming tired, and I was admittedly more fascinated by my host's Commodore 64 at the time. Later, Star Frontiers would capture more of my attention (SF, then as now, help more of my attention than fantasy, though fantasy would soon come to consume at least as much of my subsequent attention). Eventually, I started using the computer as a support device for my hobbies, which at that time including writing, fantasy roleplaying, and writing games and my own modules/adventures.

There were no game stores on base.

The closest thing we had was the Stars and Stripes Bookstore and the base exchange, which, I would later come to learn, possessed a quirk of distribution which meant then-old stock remained available through 1985/86.

This included a lot of the gamebooks and modules for AD&D, Star Frontiers, and other games (like Dawn Patrol) which remained available on the shelves. G1-2-3, the D series, A series, all of them displayed front out on the rack, still sealed, for my perusal.

I remember the prices very well. A Basic or Expert rulebook alone cost $6. A boxed set was $15. Most of the AD&D books were $15, except for the DMG, which ran $18. Modules, $5.50 each, except for G1-2-3, which was $8.00.

These were pricey for someone with my budget. I was not permitted anything like an allowance—I had to earn anything via chores, mowing others' lawns, or other duties. In 1985 I took my first ever job, screwing up paperwork in the orderly room on base. (If there's any servicemembers out there who, uh, experienced bureaucratic complications thereafter, I sincerely apologize. I was unfamiliar with the minicomputer in the office and the directory structure was labyrinthine.)

In spite of this, I would up purchasing nearly all my materials used from other folk who needed to unload possessions in order to fit within the Air Force's weight allotments. The Navy was much less restrictive, so I was happy to dumpster dive and buy for quarters or dimes on the dollar most of the materials I wound up with.

Even so, it wasn't a lot. I had also entered the hobby of home electronics, and maintaining supplies were substantially more costly—even off-base, where the exchange rate was an immensely favorable 250 yen to the American dollar.

I also bought a lot of models and toys. In my defence, these were really cool.

Anyway, I was en route to being a collector. I think my first purchase was brand new from the store: dungeon module X2, Castle Amber, a great purchase even if I didn't have anything else yet. I … did things wrong back then. Can't be helped now. But I still have that copy of X2—it's absolutely tattered, of course, but I wouldn't part with it for any money.

Rulebooks (all used) followed shortly thereafter; I acquired materials very slowly. Not all of this remains with me—I was dense person in the early months of 2004 and surrendered many modules (N1, U1-3, a first printing of S1 in cellophane) and almost all of my AD&D books (yellow spines, all), except for my 4th print of the Monster Manual, which I bought in, of all places, Edmonton, Canada during a drive en route to Adak in 1987, my FF, and my copy of Dieties and Demigods, which was even steven traded straight up for a DD I held without the Cthulhu mythos &c. (thank you Cathy Scott). Still have those, and replaced nearly everything else from used bookstores, so much so that I've somehow wound up with three copies of the DMG (all efreet covers) and the PHB (all Trampier covers).

I've recovered some of what I traded away or sold. There's still a bunch of things on my want list, but I can be patient. N1 and U1-3 in particular are hard to get because of their current value. I regret those immensely. N1 cost me a dollar. The three U-series modules were a $1.25 each at a Half Price Books in Tacoma and oh I am a stupid stupid man.

Well. Hindsight's 20-20, it's easy to be smart later and so on.

Come to think of it, this might really be my only story about collecting. Might have to expand this into a Game Restart blog entry later. If this was boring, I'm sorry. But it was absolutely gripping to me at the time.

--Scott
Hobby-applied project: http://orc.one
Day/night job: http://cgfx.us

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:25 pm 

Alaskanaut wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Stories? We can do that?

Thanks for sharing!

H.

Habent sua fata libelli 8)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:22 pm 

Hello everyone, I figured I would introduce myself to the community.  I'm a new member with a pretty common story, although I suspect I am on the younger side of D&D collectors here.  I Started playing 2nd edition in 1998-ish around the age of twelve and saved all my money that year to purchase a Mentzer red box with sealed dice and crayon because it was the coolest thing I had ever seen (still is) from Natasha's Arena in RI.  Around that same time I also bought a 1st edition DMG and PH pretty much for the art as I knew no one who was playing 1st edition.  I've been collecting on and off ever since and have used the wealth of information here to answer many questions about OOP stuff.  I was also star struck by the original authors who are members here and would chime in on their creations to clarify info or provide stories from the early days of the hobby.  Hopefully I can contribute, but I may be learning more from you then you from me.
-Clancy

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:12 am 

Welcome Clancy!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:11 am 

We're glad you are here Clancy.  Welcome!   8)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:33 pm 

Clancy wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors: I've been collecting on and off ever since and have used the wealth of information here to answer many questions about OOP stuff.  I was also star struck by the original authors who are members here and would chime in on their creations to clarify info or provide stories from the early days of the hobby.  Hopefully I can contribute, but I may be learning more from you then you from me.
-Clancy

I think you described perfectly most if not all of us long time lurkers that have outed ourselves on here.

Welcome aboard Clancy   Great intro!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:35 pm 

Alaskanaut wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors: it was absolutely gripping to me at the time.

I enjoyed the story, thanks for taking the time out to share with us Alasknaut

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:03 pm 

I don't think I have done this yet....

Greetings everyone. My name is Kevin. I started playing D&D with a friend's HEAVILY home-brewed rules about... 42? years ago. Played a variety of RPGs pretty heavily until the mid-90s, then A ) moved away for university, so I lost my gaming group, and B ) got into Magic the Gathering pretty heavily. Started teaching on a reserve in northern Manitoba in 1997, sold my Magic cards, didn't do any gaming until I moved to a small farming town to teach in in 2003, and got sucked back into gaming (Magic first, then D&D) around 2011. Got back into collecting heavily around 2014. (man, I use the word 'heavily' a lot)

Today, I am in to playing Magic, D&D (mostly 5th ed, but I try to run B/X or 1st edition) and Call of C'Thulhu (either 6th or 7th edition). I collect for the following:
- B/X / BECMI / RC D&D (mostly just picking up modules I am missing now... have original prints of all the Gazetteers, all the box sets, and most of the modules/supplements, just need to fill up the modules I am missing, and a lot of the later RC and on products
- selected 1st and 2nd edition AD&D: mostly anything to do with Greyhawk [have just started getting my toes wet with Forgotten Realms stuff, but very limited]; I have most of the important stuff, like C'Thulhu Deities & Demigods, complete sets of Wizards and Priests Spell Handbooks, complete faux leather Magic Item Compendiums, and a complete set of splatbooks minus the Spelljammer and Forgotten Realms specific ones, which I don't really like; there's a few second and third edition Greyhawk books I need, and some random stuff I want, but not a lot. Basically, I just keep my eyes open for Greyhawk or generic stuff I don't have.
- selected 5th edition D&D: I don't buy all of it, but I get the rulebooks and anything with strong ties to Greyhawk

Other interests
- Magic (kinda sorta.... more buying cards I need for decks than pure collecting)
- WEG Star Wars d6 (almost have a complete collection... I need something like 20 modules/supplement books, and one box set)
- all editions of Unknown Armies (I think all I am missing is the Ascension of the Magdalene module, and the Games Day one that came out for 3rd ed last year)
- R. Tal's Cyberpunk (I have everything released for 2013, 2020, Cybergeneration, v3, and 2077, except for the 2020 GM screen, the Paranoia crossover module Alice Through The Mirrorshades, and the v3 Gangbook)
- 7th Ed Call of C'Thulhu (because trying to collect the older stuff at this point would be MADNESS)
- original Netrunner cards (the ones that were produced by WOTC)
- original ILLUMINATI: NWO ccg cards
- whatever other random OSR or oddball system attract my attention (LL, Advanced LL, Old School Essentials, OSRIC, Stars Without Number, The Savage World of Solomon Kane...)
- pinball machines (anyone? anyone?)

Mostly just lurking here for now. I come by to check out stuff infrequently. So, hello!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:02 pm 

TheBadgerKing wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:I don't think I have done this yet....

Greetings everyone. My name is Kevin.......

Mostly just lurking here for now. I come by to check out stuff infrequently. So, hello!

Hello back at 'cha and welcome!  As you have probably already found out, you'll learn about stuff here you didn't know you wanted.   8)

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:07 pm 

Hello everyone, I am very glad to have found this site.

I'm retired military, located in Las Vegas, and I'm looking to start collecting AD&D and D&D stuff: Rules, Sets and modules.  Last time I played was back in 1986ish, so this is almost a whole new adventure for me.  Might consider even getting back into playing, not sure on that one yet, but considering it.  Anyway, I'm looking to put a nice collection together and found this site, hopefully I can learn alot from here and the people associated with the site.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 125 of 135123 ... 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 133134135