Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 124 of 135123 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 133134135
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 11:09 am 

Hello All! Joined the RPG Auctions group to sell a collection a friend gave me. A few years (and many thousands of dollars) later, here I am! Hooked on the R and RPGA series rares, and love seeing all the cool old stuff I had no idea existed.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:12 pm 

Narsil wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Any thoughts, advice most welcome.

First, take....your...time.  You will see crazy prices on eBay and other places for stuff that you'll regret buying because it's incomplete, or in poor condition, etc....   Cigarette smoke damage, pet smells, and mold/mildew are all factors you sometimes can't see, but will impact your feelings about a purchase.

Second, figure out what you really want.  There are people here who want most everything shrink-wrapped and others who just want reading and playing copies.  Some people want only 1st edition, and others want everything prior to a certain date, and other people have different parameters.  Some people buy things for investment purposes.  Figure out what you like/want and get that.

Third, take care of your collection.  There are numerous threads which discuss tips, tricks and storage advice.

Fourth, the search button on these threads will turn up a lot of great information regarding most any question you might have.

Fifth, join us for North Texas RPG Con in Dallas/Fort Worth June 5-9.  There's a thread with lots of information and links about this.  It's a blast!   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:37 pm 

Dumpling wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hello All! Joined the RPG Auctions group to sell a collection a friend gave me. A few years (and many thousands of dollars) later, here I am! Hooked on the R and RPGA series rares, and love seeing all the cool old stuff I had no idea existed.

I came here 13 years ago for the same reason - to help a friend sell her stuff. Have met wonderful people that have enriched my life tremendously. Recently retired, so ya'll might see me around more often. Welcome, Dumpling!

If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error. - John Kenneth Galbraith

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:31 pm 

Hello, everyone.

I guess I'm new to the Acaeum fora, which is new to me, though I've actually used the main site off and on for a considerable while. But I got to browsing/lurking and it seems like a good group.

I'm not really a great collector. My own collection is pretty modest, and I doubt I have anything of genuine rarity or value. I'm mostly in it for the art (Otus and Trampier especially, but I also love Holloway. Darlene, LaForce, Dee, &c.) and the ideas. I grew up on the Erol Otus Basic/Expert rulesets, then later acquired the Holmes Basic and AD&D stuff (the latter scattershot and very haphazardly). I've probably mostly gamed with Basic or a hybrid of both.

And I've been away from the scene, only occasionally dipping my toe back into the water, but having to withdraw for one reason or other. Usually a move or some other life-event claiming my time and attention has frustrated my desire for a game night. Video games have just not scratched that particular itch I have for tabletop. (How did Jeff Dee recently put it? Something like even the most open of video games cannot approach the resolution possible with a real RPG—a human moderator can describe the world inhabited by the players down to the color of any given grain of sand and more.)

In spite of that, some of my gaming books have followed me from when I first acquired them (often used) back in the mid-1980s. Friends were great sources of material, even if we talked more about gaming than actually gamed. But being a Navy brat, we moved around so much that maintaining permanent friendships was often difficult, and as a consequence I relied on solo game materials a lot, and drafted much of my own (almost none of which remains).

But I see myself as being "back" hopefully to stay, or at least become more involved. Collecting isn't a primary interest—but it is interesting, and I've loved reading about long-lost connections being renewed in some of the threads here. (Collecting also appears to take a lot of money, and that's not a resource I have much of any more. But its still nice to read about it, and I am very patient when it comes to rebuilding what I lost—even if I very much lament the stupidity of a younger self who thought moving required purging choice items for pennies or even nothing. I am—slowly—learning lessons others knew more easily than I.)

I'll probably return to lurking for a bit and reading, but this time as a member. Be seeing you.

--Scott
Hobby-applied project: http://orc.one
Day/night job: http://cgfx.us

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 pm 

Welcome Dumpling and Alaskanaut!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 11:02 am 

I second the welcoming!
Welcome Dumpling and Alaskanaut, you'll both enjoy it here. :)

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 3:26 pm 

And you, Alaskanaut!

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:56 pm 

Alaskanaut wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:........

But I see myself as being "back" hopefully to stay, or at least become more involved. Collecting isn't a primary interest—but it is interesting, and I've loved reading about long-lost connections being renewed in some of the threads here. (Collecting also appears to take a lot of money, and that's not a resource I have much of any more. But its still nice to read about it, and I am very patient when it comes to rebuilding what I lost—even if I very much lament the stupidity of a younger self who thought moving required purging choice items for pennies or even nothing. I am—slowly—learning lessons others knew more easily than I.)

I'll probably return to lurking for a bit and reading, but this time as a member. Be seeing you.

Welcome Alaskanaut!  This is a website rich in information for collecting and gaming.  I've learned quite a bit over the years.  And while your resources may be low, I personally have found that there are lots of rpg collectibles to be had for relatively cheap prices, especially if you are patient.  I wish you the best in your hunt!   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:12 pm 

Thanks everyone!

Now I need a reckoning of what I do have, and then try to prioritize with what I'd like vs. availability vs. my budget.

Don't suppose there are any other Alaskans on here, are there? (Alaska really isn't like those littler states like Rhode Island or Texas, sometimes even finding other Alaskans is like discovering new people thousands of miles away.)

--Scott
Hobby-applied project: http://orc.one
Day/night job: http://cgfx.us

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:28 pm 

Hey all, I used to be a member on here between 2009-2012, but then forgot my username and password. (I used to be Astenon on here.) When my TurboLister file become corrupted, I just lost heart in trying to sell my old stuff.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:46 pm 

returning member wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hey all, I used to be a member on here between 2009-2012, but then forgot my username and password. (I used to be Astenon on here.) When my TurboLister file become corrupted, I just lost heart in trying to sell my old stuff.

Welcome back!! I know that feeling...I forgot my original password from my first account too and eventually made a second :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:14 am 

returning member wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hey all, I used to be a member on here between 2009-2012, but then forgot my username and password. (I used to be Astenon on here.) When my TurboLister file become corrupted, I just lost heart in trying to sell my old stuff.

:D Well done on the user name. ;)
--Ron--

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:42 pm 

rredmond wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors::D Well done on the user name. ;)
--Ron--

+1 That is fantastic  :D   and welcome back!!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:26 pm 

Thanks for the welcome/comments, guys!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:54 pm 

Quick question. Does TurboLister still exist for ebay, or has something replaced it?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm 

returning member wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Quick question. Does TurboLister still exist for ebay, or has something replaced it?

it still exists but several of the categories are not supported and the pre-filled information is not available anymore

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:48 pm 

Thanks Webrik. I've discovered that TurboLister isn't available in the UK anymore, and that TurboLister hasn't been supported since 2017. Apparently "seller hub" is now the thing to use, at least in the UK. I've not used it yet though.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 pm 

Hi, I've known about this site for some time (well probably closer to 2 decades) and have perused it occasionally over the years.  Today I finally decided to join the forums.

Long story short, I've been working all over Canada and parts of the world since the early 2000's  I have a large collection of 1st edition D&D, AD&D and early Dragon Magazines that I stored at a family members home for well over 25 years - much of it is in near mint condition.  My family is getting up in years and  I have to decide either to start selling it or decide where to store it.  

Guess that's why I'm here.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 124 of 135123 ... 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 133134135