Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 117 of 135123 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:16 am 

Good to have you here Patch

I think quite a few of us went through that, for my group it was two teenagers that committed suicide in Florida that was used to force our group to disband at school. I think every generation has something that gets used to beat the outsiders down and try to put them in an expected place in Society. As long as there is humanity, there will always be small minds.

Well the good news is that there are plenty of things to buy. Despite the pitfalls; between eBay, Facebook Groups, etc. it is wonderfully easy to track down a lot of this stuff.

For original art, there is a seller on eBay "The Collectors Trove" that comes up with some from time to time. There is also a post on here that gets Artists to do work for the group, you might want to check it out also

ACAEUM LIMITED EDITION ART PROJECT - QUATRE TRAIN

Good luck to you and have some fun

Jeff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:50 am 

Patch wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hello!

AD&D played a brief but fond role in my life from ~1979-1983.  Some of the clearest memories from my formative years are of sneaking around in Steading of the Hill Giant Chief and immediately losing my favorite character in Tomb of Horrors.  I spent many hours happily browsing through the Monster Manual and Deities & Demigods.  The endless charts and numbers in DMG and PH were quite fun.

Alas, 1983 was a tough year to be a child gamer with parents who watched news and followed current events.....so I had to move on to Burroughs, Frank Herbert, Heinlen, and Piers Anthony.  (I was pretty sure I could pass the gom jabbar the same summer all my AD&D stuff was taken away)

I haven't played in 35 years and I'm not really a collector, but I'm now trying to obtain nice copies of the modules and books that gave me past joy.  

I'm also interested in the original art, but it's wickedly difficult to find.

Patch

Welcome Patch! I'm not sure how your parents allowed Piers Anthony but would not allow D&D though... Piers Anthony is IMHO one of the WORST Satanistic writers out there. If you don't believe me, look at the Incarnations of Time series and how sympathetically he treats the character of Satan compared to the character of God and the Tarot series... The WHOLE Tarot series. Sorry to rant, but Piers Anthony is a bit of sore subject for me since so many people think he is such a great children's author.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 am 

MadCatUSA wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:
Patch wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hello!

AD&D played a brief but fond role in my life from ~1979-1983.  Some of the clearest memories from my formative years are of sneaking around in Steading of the Hill Giant Chief and immediately losing my favorite character in Tomb of Horrors.  I spent many hours happily browsing through the Monster Manual and Deities & Demigods.  The endless charts and numbers in DMG and PH were quite fun.

Alas, 1983 was a tough year to be a child gamer with parents who watched news and followed current events.....so I had to move on to Burroughs, Frank Herbert, Heinlen, and Piers Anthony.  (I was pretty sure I could pass the gom jabbar the same summer all my AD&D stuff was taken away)

I haven't played in 35 years and I'm not really a collector, but I'm now trying to obtain nice copies of the modules and books that gave me past joy.  

I'm also interested in the original art, but it's wickedly difficult to find.

Patch

Welcome Patch! I'm not sure how your parents allowed Piers Anthony but would not allow D&D though... Piers Anthony is IMHO one of the WORST Satanistic writers out there. If you don't believe me, look at the Incarnations of Time series and how sympathetically he treats the character of Satan compared to the character of God and the Tarot series... The WHOLE Tarot series. Sorry to rant, but Piers Anthony is a bit of sore subject for me since so many people think he is such a great children's author.

I was wondering why black metal sounded so natural while reading Piers Anthony ;).  Perhaps Mr. Anthony had a soft spot in his heart for those who were cast out due to ambition ... but I agree with you concerning his standing as a great children's author.  His material is a bit too "grown-up" for my kids.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 am 

Thanks for the welcome and the info!

I'm not sure I would have considered Piers Anthony a children's author.  The silliness on the surface in the Xanth series is probably responsible for that rep.  Bio of a Space Tyrant series was probably my favorite, and it certainly wasn't for kids.  Of course, hardly any of the sci fi/fantasy genre of the time was kid appropriate.  I first saw Star Wars in 1977 as a double feature with Bakshi's "Wizards".  Mom was appalled as soon as the second movie started, but dad refused to leave after spending "good money".....

Anyway, my paperbacks mostly escaped scrutiny as long as I avoided some of the more intriguing Frazetta and Vallejo covers.  D&D had the unfortunate combination of rolling dice, shouting matches, B.A.D.D., and large books with red, horned creatures on the covers.  Honestly, I can kind of see it coming across as gambling with your soul.....and parenting styles in the early 80's didn't exactly incorporate listening to the "reason" of 5th graders.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 am 

Howdy to all new comers!

@ Foul: pls mind that this thread went over the 100 pages!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:32 am 

Patch wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors: but dad refused to leave after spending "good money"......

So true, so true :)

Patch wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:  Honestly, I can kind of see it coming across as gambling with your soul...

Yeah, I remember hearing exactly that too at some time. I forgot all about it, some people did have a problem with the weird shaped dice. Like it was our "witch tools" or something similar. "shakes head laughing"

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:05 am 

aia wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:@ Foul: pls mind that this thread went over the 100 pages!

I'm aware.  :)  The 100-page restriction was in place for the old version of the forum software; with this newer version, it's not particularly needed any longer.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:15 am 

Patch wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Anyway, my paperbacks mostly escaped scrutiny as long as I avoided some of the more intriguing Frazetta and Vallejo covers.  D&D had the unfortunate combination of rolling dice, shouting matches, B.A.D.D., and large books with red, horned creatures on the covers.  Honestly, I can kind of see it coming across as gambling with your soul.....and parenting styles in the early 80's didn't exactly incorporate listening to the "reason" of 5th graders.

My parents were so wrapped up in their careers (such as they were) that they really didn't care what I was reading or doing as long as it didn't intrude into their awareness. I was fortunate in that I had a Vice Principal in High School who was willing to listen to my pitch for playing on school grounds with an open mind and allowed us to form a small group.

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:37 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I found this site a couple of weeks ago as I was contemplating buying my old DM's collection from him. He was my DM when I was 12 back in 1988, and I really hadn't seen him more than a couple of times since those days.  I will always remember Iuz killing my cavalier with a Finger of Death in the Temple of Elemental Evil.

I had my own personal collection of D&D material but nothing spectacular.  I still had my red box (minus the box) basic set which I received at age 9, and bought more D&D all the way up through 5th edition, but never for collecting reasons, always to use/play with.

Well I went ahead and decided to buy the collection from my old DM.  He was giving me a pretty solid deal (perhaps 40-50% of "ebay" value I estimated) as he was moving and didn't want to bring it with him.   I had to rent a van and drive to Michigan to pick it all up, and it filled the van!  The best item is a 6th printing OD&D which appears to be in Very Good to Fine condition (still learning how to grade things well).  I had to buy a couple of very large book shelves and convert my office to a D&D library.

Amongst the items are quite a few boxed sets (some sealed!), sealed modules, and many modules and books in like new condition.  500+ items plus a full set of Dungeon, and most of Dragon, much sealed.  Most of the books it appears he never touched.  11 "banana" boxes (from Meijer) filled to the gills, and 5 magazine boxes.

Now that I bought the collection I am not sure exactly what to do with it!  I'm not really a collector, but seeing all this on display is sure "fun".  I feel I'll sell off the valuable stuff and try to keep as many of the modules as I can, because as a DM myself I can use those for ideas, or simply run a group through a 1st edition adventure as is.

I'm really sort of torn though.  My wife will probably be not that happy if I don't sell SOME of the stuff, as it really is just too much for myself.  Maybe if I sell off a few things here and there I can stall and keep the collection for as long as possible.  ;-)

Expect more posts out of me as I learn the ins and outs.  Although I still don't know if I'm a true collector, the knowledge you guys have here is very valuable to me in this situation, so thanks!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:07 pm 

Welcome to the forum! If I were you, I 'd try to keep it all  :D  :lol:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:02 am 

Welcome aboard Roakak. Sounds like a cool collection to pick up.

That's something every Collector has to decide and it ain't easy regardless of what you collect (unless the Collector is a "I want everything!"). You're doing it the opposite way of most by picking up a huge amount and then paring it back. I did the same thing when I got back into stamp collecting - I bought 40 full collections and then sat down and tried to figure out what I liked the most about what I had. You might want to take a similar approach, spend as much time as you can with your collection and see over time what means more to you. It might be a lot or almost none of it. You have a great advantage (I think) in that you aren't going to be doing a lot of searching and wishing you had stuff. You'll be trimming away and then when you do search - you can have the attitude "Yeah, I used to have five of them, no big deal ;)" I would think it would make you a "cooler" buyer if you do end up needing to add later on. Also, you'll gain experience as a seller of this type of stuff, which will also make you a better buyer by understanding both sides of it.

Good luck, biggest thing of course is to have fun, I'm sure you will.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:03 am 

Yep. Keep it all!

I have every D&D thing I ever bought, from Red Box in 1983, to 5E stuff of today. Miniatures included.
They are currently in my attic (minus the 2E modules) in 12 60-quart plastic containers (soon to be 13 - recent purchases need to be put away).
The 2E modules are in a standard-size footlocker, which is filled to the brim, with no room for shifting about.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:04 am 

Mister Yuk wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Welcome aboard Roakak. Sounds like a cool collection to pick up.

That's something every Collector has to decide and it ain't easy regardless of what you collect (unless the Collector is a "I want everything!").

Yep. I'm one of those.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:51 am 

jkason wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:
Mister Yuk wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Welcome aboard Roakak. Sounds like a cool collection to pick up.

That's something every Collector has to decide and it ain't easy regardless of what you collect (unless the Collector is a "I want everything!").

Yep. I'm one of those.

That's the beauty of Collecting. Set your own guidelines and make your own rules. You just have to be happy with what you are doing to be successful at it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:45 am 

Roakak wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hi Everyone, I found this site a couple of weeks ago as I was contemplating buying my old DM's collection from him.

Glad you found us! I remember your post on Facebook. Impressive collection and, yes, you got a STEAL on it. I told my wife about it and even SHE knew it was a steal of a bargain. Welcome to the fine, fun, crazy world of collecting!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:12 pm 

Thanks for the replies everyone, glad to be here!

Roakak wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hi Everyone, I found this site a couple of weeks ago as I was contemplating buying my old DM's collection from him.

Glad you found us! I remember your post on Facebook. Impressive collection and, yes, you got a STEAL on it. I told my wife about it and even SHE knew it was a steal of a bargain. Welcome to the fine, fun, crazy world of collecting!

That wasn't me as I've not posted anything on Facebook related to the purchase.  My DM, who sold it, might have posted, but not me!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:16 pm 

That's something every Collector has to decide and it ain't easy regardless of what you collect (unless the Collector is a "I want everything!"). You're doing it the opposite way of most by picking up a huge amount and then paring it back. I did the same thing when I got back into stamp collecting - I bought 40 full collections and then sat down and tried to figure out what I liked the most about what I had. You might want to take a similar approach, spend as much time as you can with your collection and see over time what means more to you. It might be a lot or almost none of it. You have a great advantage (I think) in that you aren't going to be doing a lot of searching and wishing you had stuff. You'll be trimming away and then when you do search - you can have the attitude "Yeah, I used to have five of them, no big deal ;)" I would think it would make you a "cooler" buyer if you do end up needing to add later on. Also, you'll gain experience as a seller of this type of stuff, which will also make you a better buyer by understanding both sides of it.

Good luck, biggest thing of course is to have fun, I'm sure you will.

This seems like great advice.  As I mentioned I'm really grappling with the... NOW WHAT?, part of this.  As of yet I've sold nothing but I've done research on how to properly ship rare books, and been thinking about what I really want to collect, and what I should get rid of.

I can see why people have such a hard time parting with their collections that is for sure.  I just got this collection and it's already hard to break it up!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:52 am 

Roakak wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Thanks for the replies everyone, glad to be here!

That wasn't me as I've not posted anything on Facebook related to the purchase.  My DM, who sold it, might have posted, but not me!

Huh... Then there's more than one lucky SOB out there that just bought a huge collection from an old friend! LOL

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 117 of 135123 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 133134135