Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 117 of 135123 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 133134135
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:15 pm 

Welcome!

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:38 pm 

Hi Mick and welcome to The Acaeum! :)

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:28 am 

Welcome Mick, good to see another getting back into this stuff after many years. I have for a couple of months now - it's been a lot of fun, and I hope the same for you.

Mick wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:On a side note - none of my old D&D stuff was stolen.  However, about 15 years ago a buddy mentioned he was getting back into playing D&D.  I remembered I had a couple of boxes of stuff and told him he could have it (UGH).  I reached out to him a couple of weeks ago and he said he'd sold the stuff (double UGH).  I had dozens of guides, modules, and Dragon magazines from the late 70's and early 80's...oh well.  C'est la vie

I had a similar thing in that I lent-gave my dice away long ago and now I just have to try to find some of them - not real easy when you're relying on memories from 30 years ago ;)

Good luck!

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:51 pm 

Hi all.  My name's Geoff.  I recently got back into gaming through acquiring some 5e books.  Its got me nostalgic for when my older cousin and his friends let me play AD&D back in 1981.  I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and am not looking forward to my poor wallet!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:16 pm 

Tully305 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hi all.  My name's Geoff.  I recently got back into gaming through acquiring some 5e books.  Its got me nostalgic for when my older cousin and his friends let me play AD&D back in 1981.  I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and am not looking forward to my poor wallet!!

Welcome!  This is a great place to find about all kinds of stuff you didn't even know you wanted!   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:29 pm 

Tully305 wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hi all.  My name's Geoff.  I recently got back into gaming through acquiring some 5e books.  Its got me nostalgic for when my older cousin and his friends let me play AD&D back in 1981.  I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and am not looking forward to my poor wallet!!

Welcome to the Acaeum, Tully305 :)!

These were the guidelines I was given when I was new here, and now I'll pass them along to you  ;) -
(1) no bright light for Acaeum members,
(2) don't get Acaeum members wet, and ...
(3) never feed Acaeum members after midnight, no matter how much they beg :)

Happy Gaming!
-Skull

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:58 pm 

Welcome aboard Geoff!

Last edited by Mister Yuk on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:42 am 

Hello all.  I'm not exactly new, but I've been hibernating for a while.  I think the last I was really active was around 2006/2007.  Still remember Killjoy doing that crazy marathon stuff.

Anyways after running a 1E campaign for my sons and friends sons before they all shipped out to college, and after just moving into a new house where I unpacked all of my collection into a new office, I'm feeling the urge to really get my things in order again.  I like what has been done with 5E and that is also stoking the fires to enjoy the good old stuff again.

So, I guess I'm back and hopefully I'll not give my life savings away to the folks who happen to have what I'm missing. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:29 am 

Welcome Geoff!
There are a lot of great resources here. I wouldn't worry about your wallet, you can often find some amazing deals by looking not only at eBay, but the Facebook RPG auction groups. If you search Facebook for RPG Auction, you should be able to join them. Good luck and have fun!

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:59 am 

Hello!

AD&D played a brief but fond role in my life from ~1979-1983.  Some of the clearest memories from my formative years are of sneaking around in Steading of the Hill Giant Chief and immediately losing my favorite character in Tomb of Horrors.  I spent many hours happily browsing through the Monster Manual and Deities & Demigods.  The endless charts and numbers in DMG and PH were quite fun.

Alas, 1983 was a tough year to be a child gamer with parents who watched news and followed current events.....so I had to move on to Burroughs, Frank Herbert, Heinlen, and Piers Anthony.  (I was pretty sure I could pass the gom jabbar the same summer all my AD&D stuff was taken away)

I haven't played in 35 years and I'm not really a collector, but I'm now trying to obtain nice copies of the modules and books that gave me past joy.  

I'm also interested in the original art, but it's wickedly difficult to find.

Patch

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:19 am 

Welcome Patch!
And good luck in your quest to find those pieces of your childhood.
Be well,
--Ron--

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:47 am 

Patch wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:Hello!

AD&D played a brief but fond role in my life from ~1979-1983.  Some of the clearest memories from my formative years are of sneaking around in Steading of the Hill Giant Chief and immediately losing my favorite character in Tomb of Horrors.  I spent many hours happily browsing through the Monster Manual and Deities & Demigods.  The endless charts and numbers in DMG and PH were quite fun.

Alas, 1983 was a tough year to be a child gamer with parents who watched news and followed current events.....so I had to move on to Burroughs, Frank Herbert, Heinlen, and Piers Anthony.  (I was pretty sure I could pass the gom jabbar the same summer all my AD&D stuff was taken away)

I haven't played in 35 years and I'm not really a collector, but I'm now trying to obtain nice copies of the modules and books that gave me past joy.  

Patch

Welcome, Patch :)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:16 am 

Good to have you here Patch

I think quite a few of us went through that, for my group it was two teenagers that committed suicide in Florida that was used to force our group to disband at school. I think every generation has something that gets used to beat the outsiders down and try to put them in an expected place in Society. As long as there is humanity, there will always be small minds.

Well the good news is that there are plenty of things to buy. Despite the pitfalls; between eBay, Facebook Groups, etc. it is wonderfully easy to track down a lot of this stuff.

For original art, there is a seller on eBay "The Collectors Trove" that comes up with some from time to time. There is also a post on here that gets Artists to do work for the group, you might want to check it out also

ACAEUM LIMITED EDITION ART PROJECT - QUATRE TRAIN

Good luck to you and have some fun

Jeff

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:50 am 

Patch

Welcome Patch! I'm not sure how your parents allowed Piers Anthony but would not allow D&D though... Piers Anthony is IMHO one of the WORST Satanistic writers out there. If you don't believe me, look at the Incarnations of Time series and how sympathetically he treats the character of Satan compared to the character of God and the Tarot series... The WHOLE Tarot series. Sorry to rant, but Piers Anthony is a bit of sore subject for me since so many people think he is such a great children's author.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:35 am 

MadCatUSA wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:

Patch

Welcome Patch! I'm not sure how your parents allowed Piers Anthony but would not allow D&D though... Piers Anthony is IMHO one of the WORST Satanistic writers out there. If you don't believe me, look at the Incarnations of Time series and how sympathetically he treats the character of Satan compared to the character of God and the Tarot series... The WHOLE Tarot series. Sorry to rant, but Piers Anthony is a bit of sore subject for me since so many people think he is such a great children's author.

I was wondering why black metal sounded so natural while reading Piers Anthony ;).  Perhaps Mr. Anthony had a soft spot in his heart for those who were cast out due to ambition ... but I agree with you concerning his standing as a great children's author.  His material is a bit too "grown-up" for my kids.

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 am 

Thanks for the welcome and the info!

I'm not sure I would have considered Piers Anthony a children's author.  The silliness on the surface in the Xanth series is probably responsible for that rep.  Bio of a Space Tyrant series was probably my favorite, and it certainly wasn't for kids.  Of course, hardly any of the sci fi/fantasy genre of the time was kid appropriate.  I first saw Star Wars in 1977 as a double feature with Bakshi's "Wizards".  Mom was appalled as soon as the second movie started, but dad refused to leave after spending "good money".....

Anyway, my paperbacks mostly escaped scrutiny as long as I avoided some of the more intriguing Frazetta and Vallejo covers.  D&D had the unfortunate combination of rolling dice, shouting matches, B.A.D.D., and large books with red, horned creatures on the covers.  Honestly, I can kind of see it coming across as gambling with your soul.....and parenting styles in the early 80's didn't exactly incorporate listening to the "reason" of 5th graders.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 am 

Howdy to all new comers!

@ Foul: pls mind that this thread went over the 100 pages!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:32 am 

Patch wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors: but dad refused to leave after spending "good money"......

So true, so true :)

Patch wrote in Introduce Yourself, Fellow Collectors:  Honestly, I can kind of see it coming across as gambling with your soul...

Yeah, I remember hearing exactly that too at some time. I forgot all about it, some people did have a problem with the weird shaped dice. Like it was our "witch tools" or something similar. "shakes head laughing"

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 117 of 135123 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 133134135